TKR Dewey Did It...#1 AND #2

Status
Not open for further replies.
Stay positive, Dewey. I will be anxious to hear what you think of the care facility you are visiting. Let us know how it went.
 
:yikes: WHEW......lots happening today! Visited the rehab facility (which really is just a nursing home!), and I'm still undecided about what to do after my surgery. It was a nice enough place, and the rehab section was state of the art, but......I still think I'd be more comfortable at home! It may, though, be better for me to go there to get earlier movement in this knee. I feel like I need to do things a bit different this time around to insure a better outcome. My ROM has not yet improved on knee #1, so maybe this would help? Therapy would be 2 or 3 times a day rather than 2 or 3 times a week at home. I just don't know, and I've decided to not make the decision until I see how I am doing a day or two after surgery. They assured me that would be fine.

I saw my surgeon today to discuss the possible MUA, and he suggested doing a "gentle" manipulation. He doesn't think it will get much more ROM for me, but he thought it was worth a try. How will I ever know if I don't try? He said if I wasn't coming in for surgery on Monday, he would not consider doing it, but since I will already be alseep, he would see what he could do. He said I will be sore (more muscular than the incision pain) for a few days, but it shouldn't be too bad. I guess I will continue thinking about it over the weekend, and let him know before surgery on Monday. Arrrggghhhhh.....I hate making these decisions!

Oh my......the closer it gets, the more nervous I get. Even though I know what to expect this time, I still have all of the "what ifs" that I had last time! The first few days are still vivid in my memory as it's only been 10 weeks! I can honestly say I know now that I'll be happy when recovery is over and I have two good knees, but I'm not so sure I'm ready to do it again so soon!!! My unoperated knee is certainly ready, though, as it's screaming at me all the time now! Ouch! I will be glad to have this bone on bone pain gone, that's for sure.

Surgery is scheduled for 9am on Monday morning. Please take a minute and say a quick prayer for me.....it sure worked last time! Thanks, again and again, for being here for me! I'm sure I'll post over the weekend to get some reassurances from you all.

I CAN DO THIS AGAIN, right???? :yikes:
 
YES, you can do this again! I don't envy having to make those decisions, though. I can barely choose what to order from a menu! I really believe in the power of a positive attitude, and of course, the power of prayer. Lean on God (and your friends here at Bone Smart). You will get through it, and next year at this time, you will wonder why you didn't do it sooner. I will be praying for you these next few days, and definitely on Monday morning.
 
Yes, you can do it. You have made some great decisions, checking a rehab facility so you know about the option and leaving the final decision once you are post surgery. With all the stress of nervousness, you did this for yourself and have an option if you need it. You are making decisions --just by checking out options.

My thoughts and those of other bone smarties are with you.
 
Yes, you can do it. Personally, as happy as I was to get home, I'd go for the rehab and the focused care. They can spot any issues quickly, you won't have to worry about any chores, etc., for a few more days, and I bet you'll feel a lot more confident of your abilities once you get home. Many healing thoughts, whatever road you choose.
 
Hi Dewey, you know you can do it!! :yes!: You've already done it once & no two knee surgeries are the same! I'm not sure we have the type of rehabilitation facilities here in the UK that you have over there, it seems to be a great resource! However, if you decide to be home for the recovey, thats ok too, all you need in the first couple of weeks is rest,ice & elevation (and pain control) so im not sure if an enthusiastic PT will have any benefit? Try not to be too nervous, it's a huge thing you will be going through, but you will be asleep!! When you wake up, there will be no more bone on bone pain & you will have another shiny new knee! I never once regretted my decision and was commenting just yesterday with my ward buddy that the bone on bone pain isn't there any more! She agreed (she had a bilateral tkr same time as me just over 2 1/2 weeks ago) so chin up!! and we will be here on the other side waiting. :puppysmooze:
 
:egypdance: Thanks so much for your encouraging words! It truly does help me more than you know!

I've been "nesting" this morning, and trying to get everything ready. This time, I know exactly what I need on the lower level since I won't be going upstairs for a few weeks. Hopefully, I won't put my husband through so much this time! I've bought all of the snacks I will need, and any toiletries that I may run out of. In that respect, knowing what's to come has helped.

But.......knowing what's to come has me really nervous, too! Actuallly, as far as pain is concerned, I can say that knee #1 really wasn't too bad. I kept up on the pain med for the first couple of weeks (until side effects). My concern this time is the OS is going to try something different to try to alleviate the nausea that the Norco caused. This time, I will be on Percocet. I'm hoping it works on the pain as well as the Norco did! And, I'm hoping it doesn't cause the terrible sickness that kept me from eating or even moving much at all! Anyone with experience with Percocet?

Knee #2 has, thankfullly, been just terrible the last couple of days. I'm so glad because that makes this a tad easier. I know now that this bone on bone pain will be GONE in just a few days!

Going to keep real busy today. I'm going to keep thinking.......I think I can, I think I can, I think I can..... :ok:
 
:yikes: WHEW......lots happening today! Visited the rehab facility (which really is just a nursing home!), and I'm still undecided about what to do after my surgery. It was a nice enough place, and the rehab section was state of the art, but......I still think I'd be more comfortable at home! I just don't know, and I've decided to not make the decision until I see how I am doing a day or two after surgery. They assured me that would be fine.

Surgery is scheduled for 9am on Monday morning. Please take a minute and say a quick prayer for me.....it sure worked last time!

Hi Dewey,
I am pleased you had a good visit to the rehab. It is great that you have seen it, know it is good, know you have the option of going there but can decide after surgery when you see how you feel.
Hopefully the change of pain meds will help you avoid the dreadful nausea you had last time. If you find the pain relief is not effective enough you can shout and they can try something else.
You sound as though you are really organised and ready to go.
You will do brilliantly and soon you won't be having to be worrying about knee surgery any more. That will be your reward for getting on with it. We will all be thinking about you, praying for you and watching out for your post op post and we will all be there for you.
Here is a hand to hold again on Monday morning,
Hugs,
Toothfairy x :friends: :flwrysmile:
 
Percocet knocked out the pain better than Norco for me. It also knocked me out a bit:zzz: , but that was ok too in those early days. full speed ahead for monday!
 
Hi Dewey, I am thinking about you today.
I know you will be anxious. I hope all goes well tomorrow and that you are happy to get your surgery over with.
Post when you are able after the surgery.
You know we will all be thinking about you and wishing you well,
Hugs
Toothfairy x :kittykiss: :puppysmooze: :)
 
Well, now I can say it again......Tomorrow I will have another new knee!

Been busy this weekend doing all of those pre-surgery things. I have all things packed for both hospital and rehab (should I decide to go), I have all laundry completed, and my poor little dog is almost ready to go to her "doggie hotel" for a few days. That's one of the hardest parts of this! She stayed ten whole days last time, and I'm hoping we can get her home before that this time!

I'd like to change the title of my thread to "Dewey Did It...#1 AND #2". How do I go about doing that???
 
Only the moderators can do that' Dewey so will tag them. GOOD LUCK for tomorrow I'm sure you will be glad when it's all over and you can concentrate on all the things you can do with your brand new knees. Best Wishes. Josephine. Jamie
 
Thank you, Josephine!

Oh my.......now it's official! No backing out now!!!:yikes:
 
Look forward to post-surgery updates. I have an appointment with my OS later this month to discuss No. 2. We'll see -- and you can be my North Star, guiding the way.
 
Good luck to you tomorrow. Let us know how you are doing when you feel like it! I know how you feel about taking your little dog to the doggy hotel. She will be so happy to see you when you get back home and will be ready with lots of welcome home kisses. :puppysmooze:

Hope to hear how you are soon!

Vickie
 
Good luck Dewey! You will do wonderfully well, I am sure of it! You are so much wiser now and I'm sure that will come into play for you. You and your doctors now know what medicine NOT to give you so that is a huge help too. Many people do very well with Percocet. I would take it with crackers or toast and have some anti-nausea medicine at the ready too (just in case).
I think you are wise to wait to decide on the rehab facility until afterwards. You never know, you may find that with better pain control (and less nausea) you feel up to going home.
Just think, you will soon have a matching pair of arthritis free knees!! Congratulations! I hope the gentle MUA will also help you gain some ROM in knee #1 as well.
Good luck - we're here for you!
 
Praying for you Dewey that your new knee and MUA on older one go fantastically! Best thing is you will be so much more educated in healing from this new knee, you will be a pro. Wish we could all do a trial run on the first one till we got it right then have them both done, lol. You'll do great!
 
Best of luck, Dewey!!! You're going to do just great. It always warms my heart to hear that someone is as well prepared as you are. You're a Top Notch BoneSmartie!!!
 
Oh my.....here I go! I won't be able to post in the morning, so this is it until I'm on the "other side" AGAIN! Surgery is scheduled for 9:00 am, so we'll need to be at the hospital at 7. It's only about a 20 minute drive from home. Going to bed shortly but I don't anticipate much sleep tonight.

Still can't believe that this time tomorrow night both of my bone-on-bone knees will be gone! I can finally say knee #1 feels pretty good now....certainly better than the bone-on-bone pain in #2! It's amazing, really! I just hope in a mere 10 weeks, I can say the same thing about my new one!

I have to admit that I'm nervous and scared again. Sometimes fear of the unknown is actually better than knowing what's actually to come! I can only hope this time things will be different and #2 will be the "good" patient! Wish me luck!

In fact, I'd really appreciate your good thoughts and prayers tomorrow morning at 9:00. Please pray that my heart doesn't act up during the surgery, and the surgeon and his team do a great job! I will post as soon as I can from my phone. It'll be short and sweet, but at least you'll know that it's all done!

Take care, BS friends........I feel so fortunate to have you all! :thankyou: I'll be back soon!
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom