Guest viewing is limited

TKR Dewey Did It...#1 AND #2

Status
Not open for further replies.
Dewey Sending caring thoughts your way as you approach your second surgery. Just wanted to let you know how much the ones of us who are awaiting surgery have learned from your posts. I know that recovery will be difficult and that everyone will have their own roller coaster ride, but it does help to be able to read about others and their trials and accomplishments. Keep posting and hoping your next recovery is uneventful. Sending you some flowers to brighten your day! :flwrysmile: :flwrysmile: :flwrysmile: :flwrysmile:
 
Only 9 days until I do this again........

Yep, the panic is creeping back in, I'm afraid! I could sure use some encouragement today.....I'm worrying about it all again.

After my first knee, I can home 3 days after the surgery. The first few days were not great due to the pain med causing severe nausea. OS has assured me we will try something new this time and hopefully I won't react to it. But....I'm wondering if I should plan to go to a rehab facility with knee #2??

Knee #1 is not real strong, and I can't imagine it taking over once knee #2 is out of commission. I'm worried that I won't be able to get up and down on my own at first. My husband will be able to be home for a few days, but.....will that be enough?

I hate the thought of not coming home afterwards, but I was just wondering if anyone had any advice for me? Perhaps those of you that have had two knees done relatively close together would have some words of wisdom for me?

thanks!
 
I had both knees done at the same time. I should have gone to a rehab facility, but came home instead. If you only have help for a few days, I would probably go to a facility. It depends if you think your leg from your first surgery is strong enough to carry you through the second surgery.
 
Hmmmm. I just don't know! Knee #1 doesn't bend so well yet, so I don't think I can count on it being my number one knee. Since we've been working on the bend, I don't feel like we've worked strength yet at all. Maybe it's too early for that anyway? My husband and I got along fine at home the last time, but I wonder if the extra PT might help "get me going" a bit more this time? If I come home....I'll have PT 3 times a week for the first 2 weeks. If I go to a rehab facility, I'll get it 3 times a day! (I still can't get past the feeling that the lack of ROM in knee #1 is my own fault for not being able to do much movement due to sickness those first couple of weeks.)

Can anyone offer their thoughts on rehab vs. coming home with TWO not so good knees? THanks!!! :puppysmooze:
 
I do not have any advice since I only have had one knee done (also Jan.28,2013) so far and have to decide when this year to have the other done. I too feel scared of doing another surgery so I can relate to your fears. Good luck with the surgery and if you are concerned about being home I would agree that a rehab facility might give you that extra support of people around and support so you can concentrate on recovery and have support. Good luck.
 
Happy Easter Dewey,
Would it be possible to arrange to go to rehab and then change your mind if you don't feel you need it?
This might be a really stupid question, I don't have any understanding about how things work in the USA.
If you could do that you would have the security of knowing it was available for you if you felt you would benefit.
If you have to make a definite decision either way would opting for a few days in rehab put your mind at rest?
I am sure you will do very well, it may require an adjustment of your expectations on your progress. You may have to take things a little more slowly as you will effectively be recovering from two knees at the same time. As long as you keep doing your stretches I don't see why knee one should not keep progressing.
The surgeon would not be offering to do it if he felt it was going to mess up your progress with the knee already done.
In my opinion this is an opportunity to get your second knee done and get on with your recovery so that you will soon have two pain free knees and will be able to move on with your life.
I want to get my second knee done as soon as NHS waiting lists allow.
Have a great day and keep smiling, you are making great progress,
Hugs,
Toothfairy x :SUNsmile: :happydance:
 
Hi Dewey, You have had lots of thoughts and advice from others. I hope you are sorting through it all and are finding some peace about your second surgery and answers about your rehab. I will pray for wisdom and comfort for you.

I am hoping to do my second knee this summer so I can get both done in the same calendar year (insurance). Also, I would feel too guilty taking another large chunk of time off next school year. I figure since the "good" knee hurts so much as is--what's the difference. It's not like I wouldn't really be able to enjoy life pain free. One long year of recovery for both beats one long year of recovery for one and then another long year of recovery for the other.

Anyway, my best to you as your surgery day moves closer.
 
Well, I'm beginning to question my decision to not have a MUA on Knee #1....

I saw my regular doctor today for our pre-op approintment for next week's surgery. He was pretty adament about getting knee #1 as good as it will get NOW. He thought a MUA at the time of surgery of knee #2 was a great idea. He didn't think it would add too much to my recovery (yeah, right!), and would help to make the knee take over while #2 recouperates.

Then.....I had a PT appointment with a new therapist today. He seemed very knowledgeable, and he also thought it was time to consider helping out the bend in this knee. We could only get it to 90 degrees, and he said that is really behind for 9 weeks.

I just REALLY didn't want to have to worry about this. I'm quite discouraged today....Now that I know what to expect after surgery, I just don't know how I can wake to TWO BAD KNEES!!!

Arrrgggghhhhhh........the roller coaster continues! I'll sure be glad when this ride is OVER!!!! I just don't know what to think anymore!

Any thoughts out there for me today???
 
I have no suggestions or ideas but my thoughts are with you. Take care.
 
Thank you for responding, Leejaa! I so appreciate your kind words. I hope you're doing well today. I will say that it's so nice to have the bone on bone pain gone in our new knee. I can really tell the difference since my #2 knee has been really bad lately.

Thanks, again for your post. It's nice to know I'm not alone with all of this!
 
The last thing you should have to deal with is confusion. Have you checked other BoneSmarties' posts who have had MUA? Sounds like you will need that procedure regardless, so I hope you can find someone who had a positive experience with MUA and get some encouragement there. Ignore all the negative ones! (None of us would have ever given birth if we only listen to horror stories of labor and childbirth, right?) Focus on the end result and know that everything in between is temporary. I will keep you in my prayers.
 
If your OS is willing to sign off on rehab and your insurance will pick up the cost, why not go? Can't hurt. And it's not like a mental health commitment -- you can get out! As for the MUA, can't speak to that, except to say that if it needs to be done, get it out of the way with one anesthesia session. No sense taking on more risk. Just one gal's opinion.
 
Thanks, Ready and Pdx. Glad to see you are still following my posts. I feel like I need my Bonesmartie friends as much (if not more!) as I did in the very beginning of knee #1!!! Your support and encouragement helps me so much!

I called the OS office with some questions regarding the MUA. Things like how far will it set me back, and how much pain will it cause. The nurse suggested that I come back in to talk with the doctor before Monday's surgery. So, that's what I'm going to do. I doubt it will lessen my apprehension, but at least Ill have my answers and know what to expect. I seem to work much better that way!

Also, I'm visiting the rehab facility this Thursday to see the place and talk with the PT's. They have an "Open House" every week for perspective patients. I think that will help me, also. It's hard to make decisions when you don't have information.

So, I'm getting there......Slowly. I will just do what I have to do so I can get this overwith! I'm sure lots of you understand that feeling!
Take care, and have a good day!:flwrysmile:
 
Dewey. I can see why you are feeling so nervous. Firstly with the ROM. Can you believe I am approaching 6 months post op with a ROM of 95. I havent had any physio since December so have just been doing the very few exercises they gave me. Friends on here have given me lists of what they do and its very different to mine. Lots more exercises. I went to my GP and she is referring me back to my OS if there is no improvement. I havent had my ROM done since a couple of weeks ago. It may have improved but Im too nervous to see in case it hasnt. I also need my 2nd knee done but not as close as you are having yours done. I can see it is better to have the second one done as soon as you can but I think thats easier said than done if you are still having problems with your first knee. Would I have MUA whilst going for my 2nd knee. At first I thought defnitly yes no problem but you will have pain after MUA according to others who have had it done. I know its different for everyone but you will be coping with another TKR and maybe could do without any problems with your first. I dont envy you. Its a hard decision to make. I think you are right in getting as much information as you can. Write down your questions and things you are not sure about ready for your meeting with the OS. I always forget things when the consultant starts talking. I will watch your progress with interest. I am so sorry you are having to make so many decisions. Sometimes it all gets muddled in your head. Let us know how your meetings go and your visit to rehab. Sending you lots of hugs. You deserve them. Take care x x
 
Good for you for taking the steps you need to get your questions answered! I think visiting a rehab facility is a fantastic idea, and I won't be surprised at all to be reading that you have chosen that route. Those I have spoken with rave about the care and intense rehab. The down side is you aren't at home with your family--it will just make it that more special when you get home. When do you see your OS? There is nothing you can do/no decision to make until you see him and until Thurs. when you visit the facility, so put it out of your mind for the time being and relax! You deserve it.
 
Hello Dewey,
I think you are being very wise seeing your OS and visiting the rehab facility before next Mondays surgery.
As far as the MUA is concerned if your OS feels you will definitely need one then it would seem sensible to have it done under the same anaesthetic.
I hope you get all your questions answered and can go into the surgery feeling happy that you know you have made the best decision for you. You are being very brave and you will soon have your reward of two matching shiny new knees.
Take care,
Toothfairy x :egypdance: :yay:
 
Hey Dewey! Just read your post on another thread. Don't worry! We're all here beside you! We will be with you during and after! Big hugs :puppysmooze: :friends:
 
Oh, thank you, thank you! Just beginning to:yikes: PANIC :yikes: a little now!! I know how much you all helped with #1.....thanks for being there for me again! Just knowing there's someone to "talk" to really helps me get through it!
 
Dewey, being down is such a part of this. For so many reasons let alone the constant pain or discomfort. I hope the gentleman who was bouncing around after 7 weeks wasn't just trying to look good. I hope he didn't go home and crumble into a ball or suffer from overdoing. I think at 7 weeks after my first I wanted to look better than I felt. As you may remember, I had mine done 7 weeks a part for just the reason you stated, I wanted one recovery period. I am still glad I did it that way. Hang in, lady!
 
Dewey, I'm sure you'll do fine! You've learned so much with your first surgery that you can apply to the second. I see my OS on the 8th so I'll be sure to think of you.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom