Guest viewing is limited

TKR Dewey Did It...#1 AND #2

Status
Not open for further replies.
I had a scare like that too! There is such pain everywhere right after and the worry that it causes us. Remember this is a hard time but thankfully it goes quickly. Do you need stronger meds then what you are taking? I will keep praying that soon everything will settle down.
 
Hello Dewey,
good news about knee 1 and good news about the negative ultrasound :yes!: but it was a scary thing to have needed. :yikes:
Still better safe than sorry.
Take it easy and rest and relax, you are doing really well. :sleep: :zzz: :sleep:
Have you decided yet whether you will go home or to rehab?
Congratulations again on being a member of the both knees done club.
Hugs, Toothfairy x :flwrysmile:
 
Dewey just catching up on your thread and wanted to wish you well with knee #2! You are very brave and I wish you the BEST! Hugs to you! I hope they get your pain under control! Take care!
 
So glad the ultrasound was negative for a blood clot! :yay:

Has the addition of Tramadol helped with the break through pain? I hope that the hospital PT takes it easy on you so as not to increase your swelling after your sessions with her. You seem to be much more in control of things this go around - good for you!

Have a good day dear!
 
Hi Dewey, good news on the negative result! Must've been very scary for you. I'm on tramadol, together with paracetamol & ibuprofen for the swelling & this seems to suit me. Have you found a mix of meds that put you right yet? It takes them a while to find the right mix, but it's very relieving when they do! Big hugs @ hope you get home soon❤ :puppysmooze:
 
Thinking of you and hoping you are comfortable and sleeping as well as one can in the hospital. Glad there is no clot! I will be anxious to hear of your release, and to where you are headed.
 
Doing ok tonight. I'm very glad this knee is # 2 because I'm not sure I would have done this again. The first one was a "piece of cake" compared to this! It does continue to get better everyday, though. Had quite a crying jag after PT today that lasted 4 hours!! I think I had just hit my limit! It helped because I feel much better tonight. Pain is very manageable with 2 Percocet every 4 hours. I decided to give my dear husband a little break and go to the rehab facility tomorrow. I'm sure I will hate it there but because #1 isn't real strong yet, I think it's for the best. It'll make going home even more sweet next week!

Can't wait until I can tell you all how happy I am to have two new knees. I have no doubt that will come....someday! Soon?
 
Glad to hear from you Dewey! I am happy you've found pain meds that work and don't seem to bother your stomach so much. I remember how sick you were after #1. Remember no two knees are the same so try your best not to compare.
I hope you have an easy transition to rehab and find that it helps you in these early days! I have no doubt that you will be here singing the praises of two wonderfully healthy and strong knees taking you places you thought you'd never get to in the future!
((Hugs))
 
Good to hear from you. You will get through this! I am glad you have made your decision as to where you will go tomorrow. I hope they give you great care and encouragement, not to mention good therapy. Home will certainly be sweet when you get there. Sleep well tonight.
 
Good to know you will be somewhere with support to start your recovery. Make sure you keep up with the pain meds there also. You will be home before you know it.
 
[Bonesmart.org] Dewey Did It...#1 AND #2
Dewey, congrats on #2. I think you will find rehab is not really too bad. It will allow you to just think about you and not have to worry about other things right now. And you will have time to rest a lot along with the PT. Just be sure the PT is easy and gentle---DO NOT under any circumstances allow pain. So just take advantage of being the center of attention for a few days. And yes, it will make getting home that much sweeter.

Take care and keep us posted. We care. [Bonesmart.org] Dewey Did It...#1 AND #2
 
Keep on keepin' on! So glad that the surgery is over and you are (mostly) doing well. You know about the ups and downs this time so you'll know what to expect. My knee#2 will be done in July, and I'm sure by that time (and more than likely sooner!) you will be doing splendidly with both knees!
 
Glad you found something that is working on your pain. Sounds like a real scare with the blood clots...sure glad that was negative. Its great you have been keeping all of us updated and I think you did make a good choice with goring to rehab ...you have been through alot brave girl! @ knees done!! yippee!! now you can look only forward to better and better times!! Hugs goood thoughts and prayers coming your way!
hugs
Susie
 
Hello! It's my second day in the rehab facility and I thought I'd give you all an update. First of all, I want to go home!! I'm afraid this was a mistake to come here. I reAlly felt like the extra PT would be to my benefit. I learned today that they will only see me for 30 minutes tomorrow and they aren't even here on Sunday! It's hard to get my meds, the food is awful, and they just are not nice to me! My husband took so much better care of me!! I'm only staying until Tuesday!

I will say that my knee #2 is already ahead of knee #1 which is ten weeks old. Pain is tolerable and the exercises just seem a bit easier. I do have some weepy areas on the incision and a small reddened area, but I don't have reason to worry I don't think. I have no fever and feel pretty good except I have no appetite at all. Only a small amount of nausea from the Percocet. If that doesn't increase, I will be so happy!

So, I will appreciate some good thoughts and prayers that my recovery continues as normal as possible and I get home soon! I've missed you all here at bonesmart and look forward to getting home to my computer. Thanks for your good thoughts.
 
If you would rather be home - tell them you want to leave now and why. I cannot believe they only do PT 1x/day. You still have a choice as to how long you stay. Keep ringing for the pain meds early if necessary and do not take no for an answer. Food- not much that can be done unless your husband brings in some food for you. Take care of yourself, our thoughts and prayers are with you. Keep us posted as to how you are doing.
 
Oh, I am so sorry to hear that your facility is not what you hoped for. If you are indeed staying until Tuesday, make sure you get those meds on time--that is their job. So is being compassionate! I did not have a very good hospital stay as far as nurses go, so I understand how that plays on the emotions. Try to focus on the positives. Now for the food: just pretend it is one of those delicious hot cross buns. It is so good to hear the #2 is off to a good start. I will be interested to hear how #1 does after that MUA. Sending good thoughts and prayers your way. Rest well tonight.
 
Hi Dewey, sounds like you are doing really well. You know, you can always hear good and bad about skilled nursing facilities, but until you are actually in one of them . . . I hope your stay improves and you get the therapy that you need. As for the food, I'd bring you something good if I lived closer!! Take care and keep your spirits up. Prayers for your continued improvement.
 
I so need some encouragement and advice tonight. My husband just left me and I'm really feeling like I so want to be at home!! I have never been treated like this in my life! Believe me, I will be contacting a supervisor once I'm out of here! I feel so badly for the elderly that are here!

Here's where I need advice. I've really been feeling encouraged about knee#2. With the exception of pain (which is pretty well controlled now), this one is behaving so much better than the first. It bends to 85 already and extension feels good. Tonight, though, the swelling seems worse. There was a small red area around one part of the incision when they changed the bandage yesterday. I've been worrying about an infection all day. I have no fever, I feel ok, but it seems more swollen and warm to the touch tonight. I did more exercise and wAlking today....actually lots more. Tell me I'm blowing it all out of proportion. How do I know when to worry about a possible infection?

Please advise! Thanks so much!!
 
I would come and spring you tonight if I could. Thankfully, you are there for a short time. I remember asking why my incision site was warm to the touch and was told that was normal. I however didn't have any redness. Have you had a chance to ice and elevate properly? I don't have any advice, and to be quite honest, I can't even figure out how to tag your message for someone who knows. Sending virtual hugs your way. Josephine
 
Josephine Are you getting the icing that you need for your knee? I know Josephine or one of the other knowledgeable members will respond to you. Please try not to worry about it until you have something to worry about. I know that's sometimes easier said than done, but I'll keep you in my prayers that all is OK and for tomorrow to be a better day!!
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom