Guest viewing is limited

THR Designer girl has a shiny new hip!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Susan, your coffee is my bagels! I told the nurse this morning that if I'm going to be stuck here it will be with a bagel. It's awful needing a nurse to fetch the cream cheese from the fridge for you.
 
Smrt2run, It's good to befriend one and they will help you.
 
Haha everyone keeps bringing me then when they come visit! Forget flowers haha I'd rather have baked goods!
 
It sounds like you had a pretty good day of relaxing. I hope you continue to feel better in the upcoming days. How's your pain level been with your new hip? Have you had any problems with swelling? I think my entire leg is a little swollen but not bad. I do try to keep ice on the incision as much as possible.
 
Hi sandybeach good to hear from you! I think my pain level sitting is pretty much a 1 or 2, when I get up to move around, it goes up a bit maybe up to 3. The pain itself is different, not sharp, more of a dull ache or the muscle pain feels like I overdid it in exercise class, but we know that's not how it happened. The worse time is first thing in the morning, it's achy probably because I haven't been up on it for 4 hours. I just take my meds and ice and it goes away. As for the swelling, the area directly adjacent to the incision is a bit swollen, but lower than that is not. I ice 4 times a day and while I get up and move about a lot, I don't stay on my feet for prolonged periods of time. I also elevate the leg when I'm lying down.

How is your pain level? Part two is coming up soon, are you excited to be done with it? How are you moving about? Are you mostly on a cane or walker? Too many questions, I know. I hope you keep progressing as I am.
 
9th day post op update: just got back from OS appointment. Staples removed, skin is healing well, showers are approved. OS explained quad/knee pain that has developed in the last day, nothing to worry about, just muscles that were cut and moved healing. Precautions for another 4 weeks, but not crazy strict. As soon as wound is totally healed in around 2 weeks, I can get back to the pool. Did advise me that various muscles would be coming back to life with a vengeance and there is nothing to worry about. Unless something bad pops up, I see him in 8 weeks. Everyone remarked at how well I was walking and getting around. For the amount of walking and sitting in the waiting room, it's not too painful... We'll see tomorrow.
 
Your morning pain sounds like mine. I have been really going by what I read on here to not let the pain get ahead of me and that has worked really well. It seems like yesterday was a major turning day for me. I seem to have gotten more energy and I am starting to feel like doing more. I had my first PT this afternoon and I know if I had to leave home and done that even a few days ago I would be tired out but I'm not. I am getting around with walker and cane. I still have the compression socks on, tomorrow is my last day for those. After that I will will feel so much more freedom.
 
sandybeach congrats on ditching the TEDs and all your progress. This certainly a marathon not a sprint. Our weather this weekend is predicted to go up into the 50's, so I may try a few short 10 minute walks. Just sitting here this evening, I've noticed a difference in how tired I felt yesterday evening. I feel more awake and I didn't have as much couch time today due to the doctors appointment.
 
I still am putting up with the compression socks as I sit here and write but this afternoon it's goodbye to them:yay:. I have to get onto a schedule with my PT now. It's is hard to do much with the lines and constraints that the socks have given me but then they have kept me from the blood thinners so I guess they have done their job. Today I lose my Oxycontin too. I will be on Norco for pain. Our weather for the weekend will be snow and freezing rain so no outdoor walking for me for a while. We should start to get warmer temps...like in the 40's, it's in the forecast. My oldest daughter is out visiting close to where you are at. She's in Scranton PA until Sunday visiting friends out there. I hope she's been seeing some good weather while on vacation.
 
12 days post op update: things are going well, no bad stuff to report. The only thing that's annoying me is the itching caused by there steri-strips places on my incision after staples were removed. It takes some self control not to itch. Took a 10 minute walk down the street, then wandered around my yard to see all the sprouts of daffodils and such coming up. Everyday I get a bit stronger, going up and down stairs many times a day. Even dropped into a grocery store (hubby drove) and walked up and down several aisles. I got in my car and backed it out of the garage to see how my foot would be on the pedal and it wasn't too bad. I probably will wait a bit to venture out further. When I do I will go around the block to start. I'm even starting to walk around inside the house without the cane. So progress is happening a bit at a time.
 
15 day post op update: making progress every day. Walking without a cane inside the house, still use it outside. ROM is returning by doing my home PT exercises and walking. I do many short walks, stairs, exercises mixed in with lots of rest. Swelling is going down nicely. I already had a LLD before this, so I got some new heel lifts and what a pleasant surprise, I feel pretty balanced walking now. Taking naproxen sodium every 8 hours and pain is well controlled. Getting a bit bored with all my leisure time, but will probably look back fondly on it when I'm back to the normal deadline laden world.
 
You are doing great:thumb: I can't walk without my cane yet. I have tried but my leg is still too weak but I am seeing it getting stronger and moving better as the days pass. How long before you go back to work? I got approval to go back part time April 1st for a week, the second week I work 3 days full time and then I'm out again for next surgery. Take care and keep up with what ever you're doing, it's working.
 
I start working from home this coming Monday. I design using my laptop and to me it's more like doing a puzzle than work. I can take a nap after a few hours if I need it. I have an overbed table to rest my laptop on, so i don't have to sit on a chair at my desk. I'm already doing a personal design project this week and it's been nice to use my brain. I've caught up on all my episodes of Downton and I'm reading my second book.
 
[Bonesmart.org] Designer girl has a shiny new hip!
update, Susan. You are doing extremely well. I like that you figured out how to work with your laptop while propped up in bed----very creative---like your work. Keep up the good work--you'll be back to "normal" in no time.

Take care and keep us posted. We care. [Bonesmart.org] Designer girl has a shiny new hip!
 
Wow Designer Girl...I am very impressed....I have just about 2 weeks to go...I am trying to visualize myself 2 weeks after...I have been working from home for the past 2 weeks because sitting is so awful and I can't drive anyore.....i have become very adept at manipulating a laptop laying down..Take care and keep up the good attitude!
 
Do always work from home? What do you design? That would be a fun job. I have always been artistic. I would love a job doing graphic design but never pursued it. I paint, mostly for myself. I paint scenery on my walls...I'm running out of walls...lol.
 
sandybeach I've been a graphic designer for about 35 years, mostly in medium sized advertising agencies. Right now I work for a small agency and I'm a creative director there. I usually work around 35-40 hours per week, with 28 hours in the office and the rest from home. I have a fabulous boss whose also a friend and let's me be very flexible with my hours and where I work them. I design logos, brochures, annual reports, ads, websites, direct mail, ect. I also love to paint, I just got back into it this past year. I find it very relaxing, do you?

It is a fun job now. In the past when I worked for larger companies, it was high pressure and not as fun. My 26 year old daughter followed in my footsteps and is also a designer, we are very proud of her.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom