THR Designer girl has a shiny new hip!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sounds like everything is going just perfect for you so far!! I am so glad!. I wonder why you have to wait 10 days for a shower?? I had staples and only had to wait 3 days. Isn't it great not to be in terrible pain every minute? Hoping your recovery continues to go so smoothly!!!
 
Update 3 days post-op: home from the hospital at last. My luxuriously large gel ice pack in place, legs elevated, ahhhh. The small instant ice packs they had at the hospital could not do the job. I was tooling around a lot today, but have not suffered any bad consequences...yet. I'm laying down for the duration of the day. There's no place like home. I will be pampered with a home cooked healthy dinner. I'm in heaven, nothing left to do but rest and watch TV (probably put me to sleep)
 
Ahh, home at last, DG! So glad to hear it. Enjoy your sleep and get lots of it! Even when you think, "How can I possibly need any more sleep?" but feel sleepy, go ahead and indulge. Your body is doing a miraculous thing.

Sweet dreams and very best wishes for "comfortability" to you.

HHH
 
Woohoooo Designe Girl...You did it...take advantage of the pampering..I hope to be in the same boat by the end of the month.
 
Just read that you made it home:) Isn't it great to be home, relaxing knowing it's behind you now and all you need to do is think about the healing. I hope all continues to go well for you, I guess we did it:happydance:It was fun going through this adventure with you and getting all the pre op stuff done and ready for our "now" time.
 
Day 4 post op update: just woke up from my first night of sleep home. Wnt to bed at 9, and awake at 7:30, not bad. Slept relatively well, I always have woken up several ties in the middle of the night and last night was no different. What was bothersome was waking up several times in a cold sweat, like being in menopause again, ugh. Just rearranged bedding, changed pillows and grabbed a large bath towel to cover my upper body. I will do some research to see if night sweats are a side effect of the Percoset or it's just the anaesthesia working it's way out. I did have these sweats the last few nights at the hospital.

My two darling doggies are beside themselves with joy at my return. They are Scottie dogs with tons of energy. They are quite intimidated by the walker, so I can safely walk and not be tripped. Henry, the little sweety that seems to be "my" dog would love nothing more than to get up on my lap. He's trying to figure out a way to traverse the chair and cross over the overbed table to get to me. Physically there is no way he can do it, but I can see the cogs in his mind working. August the older dog is happily enjoying the fact that his pack is back together and keeps bringing me his dog toys.

So the big plans for today consist of a sponge bath, hair wash, laying on the couch with my most awesome ice pack. My daughter is coming over today for her weekly cleaning session. My husband is pretty good with cleaning, but as Queenie says, there's a difference between man clean and woman clean. That's it for now.
 
Designer Girl....hope this isn't a dumb question...but is it difficult to get up and down from the couch and does it work with the 90 degree rule? You got thru your 1st nite home...hope the rest of them get even better..Take care.
 
No not a dumb question at all. I needed a new couch last fall and I looked or one that was high and firm enough to be able to not break the 90 degree rule. It's a mid century modern style and when sitting on it my feet just touch the floor. It's quite comfy. The firmness is quite good. I do add pillows to elevate my legs. The total mushiness of the hospital bed was very uncomfortable. I swear they used to make these beds elevate the legs quite high, now they aren't as good.
 
Welcome home! It was interesting to read how your dogs reacted. My older Lab mix was happy to have his pack back together, like yours. But my Beagle mix wants nothing to do with me and my walker, and she was my baby.
 
Sounds like home life is treating you well and so are your dogs. It's home but boy what a difference in routines now. How do you carry stuff around? Are you on a walker only or have you also gotten on to the cane? I tried carrying a cup of coffee a little while ago. I would take a few steps and set it down on a table and take a few more steps and find somewhere else to place it, I made it but boy it's a workout just going for something that easy for myself. You are lucky to have your daughter come by and do some cleaning for you. My husband has been doing a lot around here but I don't know if I can handle watching him clean.
 
You lay back and enjoy the rest Susan and get that ice pack on at least four times a day, all the walking in small doses and don't overdo things. I am out walking the dog on a regular basis so you will get there.

Billy
 
Initially I took a recyclable shopping bag and attached it to the walker. I have a leakproofit travel mug and a water bottle I just put them in the bag and away I went. This afternoon I tried the cane and it's good. OS told me that I could bear weight as tolerated and beside being stiff the hip feels no pain. For now I will probably use the walker at night or if I'm really tired, but I will certainly use the cane when I can. The travel mug I got is from Aladdin and I got it at Target. It doesn't keep the coffee hot for a long time, but it doesn't leak. I used to throw it in my bag when I went to work and no leaks.

The daughter cleaning was a Christmas gift to me this past Christmas. I told her it wouldn't cost her anything but time. She did a great job. Oh how she hated cleaning as a teenager, but I guess I instilled it into her. She's doing it for 8 weeks.
 
8 weeks of cleaning is a wonderful gift! I'm finally at a stage of my life where I can afford to hire a regular housecleaner, but there was a time in my life where this would have been the most thoughtful gift imaginable. You raised a wonderful daughter. :)

Sharon
 
Sharon, I wish I could take credit for her having the idea on her own. I suggested it, but she eagerly accepted the suggestion. She has student loans to pay and I suggested it was a way to save money and pay more on the loan. All being said she is a pretty wonderful daughter. She actually spent more time at the hospital with me than anyone else, often just hanging out for hours.
 
5th day post op: doing fairly well, lots of rest, naps and the like, but one thing is bothering me. I have terrible night sweats. I sleep for stretches of about 3 hours but wake up drenched in cold sweat. I've taken to wrapping a towel around my neck. I have taken my temp several times and it's normal. I went searching to see if this is a side effect from Percocet and was finding it as a withdrawal symptom. I 'm certainly not withdrawing. I take one 7.5-325 tab every 4-6 hours. At my stage it's every 4 hours unless I sleep through one (not common). Is this some rare side effect? I can't see it listed on my sheet from the pharmacy. This is starting to affect the quality of my sleep. I can't just go back to sleep. I must change into dry clothes and get dry bedding or I'll be chilled. I'm thinking of asking my husband to get out some of the wicking sports clothing. Changing bedding and pajamas is not good in the middle of the night. Is this normal?
 
Susan
You are definetely not alone with this sweat problem. :gaah:
İ also change my stuff oin the middle of the night or in the morning every single day. İts probably because we are lying still and the sockets that we wear. Oh also the antipyretic effect of the pain killers (tylenol)
Thanks to GOd that i can take shower since day 2, of course with someone next to me so that i wont slip.
Are you allowed to take shower?
 
designergirl, I had night sweats, too, when I was on Percocet, and I still do occasionally even though I'm only taking acetaminophen now. I think it's part of the healing process. I couldn't change the sheets myself, so I kept a clean pajama top next to the bed and just changed into it if mine got wet.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom