THR Designer girl has a shiny new hip!

Status
Not open for further replies.
My oldest daughter did go to school for graphic design but she never took it anymore than getting her degree. It's sounds like you have a real true dream job. My job is okay. I'm the office manager/ admin. assist. for the U of M at one of their local offices. I like the my job. I don't have a supervisor I just have to make sure everything is done and all stays within budget. That's one of the reasons I have to go back for a short while between surgeries is to pay bills and now it sounds like a few more kind of expected by me, situations have come up too.
 
it kind of is a dream job, the only thing about advertising is the lack of job security. If the agency loses a client, then people are let go. After 35 years I'm kind of used to this though. The other thing about my field is that it is a boy's club, in larger firms the glass ceiling is real. My company now consists of 5 females and one male, a bit like a hen house, but everyone gets along with each other.
 
1 day shy of 3 weeks update: still progressing well. Ended up putting 12 hours of work this weekend because of a jerky client's rush deadline. I did pretty well, but was kind of tired by Sunday evening. Hip really feels great, scar is looking good, minimal swelling in the immediate area. My middle back is really starting to bother me, I suspect it's because of sleeping in the guest bedroom. My hubby has offered to switch with me and I may take him up on it, or buy a new mattress. I also ventured out in the car and had no problem. I have a small SUV that is high up so no limitations were broken. Tested my leg on a side street and it feels better than it did before the surgery. So I'm mobile, what a great feeling! I have been doing my in-home PT and have regained a great deal of my ROM. That's all the good news to report.
 
[Bonesmart.org] Designer girl has a shiny new hip!
Nice update, Susan. You're doing very, very well. Sorry about the client who had you working a bit too much. And congrats on driving. It does give you that wonderful feeling of independence again. A new mattress might be just the thing. Hubby and I are thinking about a sleep number bed---he likes firm and I like medium---so we could both have the best of two worlds. Keep up the good work---and be careful not to over do as you're feeling better and better.

Take care and keep us posted. We care. [Bonesmart.org] Designer girl has a shiny new hip!
 
Hi SUsan

İ am so glad to read about your progress esp the independence part. İt must be a great feeling no?

İ also feel that i can focus much more and feel kind of mentally ready, much better than weeks before.
However there is still the fatigue from time to time
My scar also looks pretty well and the eodema is nearly gone too.
Well good for us
So happy about you!
Take care
Selin
 
Hey Susan,
I am having some discomfort in my middle lower back as well. I'm not sure if it's sitting at my desk too long, the way I'm sleeping or if it's just to be expected. I went to PT today and it's acting up so I may try a few minutes on the heating pad. I haven't taken any nsaids since I had surgery because I'm still on aspirin therapy. I'm hoping it's just part of recovery. Sounds like your doing great and congrats on being mobile! That's got to feel fantastic!:SUNsmile:
 
Glad you got a good report! My back is hurting too. I guess we are walking different now and using muscles that were not being used before. I also think that I might be sleeping wrong or the bed. Sooner or it will all work out. Just so glad that awful hip pain is gone!!!
 
Susan, congrats on your good report! Re: the back pain, I noticed that chairs and beds which normally don't bother me were uncomfortable, especially at first. By all means, take the hubby up on his offer. Also, the 12 hours of working may have had more of an impact than you'd expect, too. Sitting in one position for very long tends to bring out the "ouchies."

That first trip out in the car feels great, doesn't it? Ah, freedom!

Cheers!

HHH
 
designergirl, how are you doing? It seems like progress has been coming more slowly for me. Maybe I just want to be healed and getting tired of not being able to do everything yet. I am getting more flexible which is so nice, I haven't had that in months.
 
I'm doing well sandybeach progress is slow and steady. The first two weeks seemed like things were progressing pretty fast and now thing have slowed up a bit. If the weather were better here I would walk outside. I'm not going out in 29°F weather. When I planned this surgery, I had hoped that the weather would be more spring like, oh well. In two weeks I'm going in to the office for a few hours a day, just so I have a clue as to what's going on. The emails have been spotty at best and my boss is so busy he often forgets to answer my voice mails, very frustrating.
I'm also getting more flexible and isn't it wonderful not to have that bone on bone pain (at least for your operated leg) Your other surgery will be here soon and you'll be totally bionic-hipped. Our bodies all have their own timetable and recovery will happen when it wants to.
 
We sound about like we're healing about the same. I do get frustrated by not being able to bend my leg up like I'm supposed to do. I can't bring it up to put socks on yet or shoes. It's getting better when I look back to where I was 2 weeks ago when I started PT but I only have next week left for PT then I'm done although the therapist wants me to continue longer so if my doctor will sign the order for it I will continue for another week or so. My exercises now are to bring my leg up so I can touch my foot with my hand while bending my knee out. That is really stretching my inner thigh muscles and causing them to hurt. I know what you mean about thinking that the weather would be better now...we had one below zero this morning and we have at least 4 feet of snow on the ground. This is one our coldest March in years. I think I would feel better to get out and walk a little bit each day. I have next week off work yet and then I go back few a couple weeks. Just going to PT and then I did a little grocery shopping and then home, that wore me out to where I just wanted to get home. I am also fighting a cold which makes things a little more miserable.
 
Hi SUsan,

Just wanted to check on you. Hope you are ok. İ thought İStanl and Ny are more or less the same weather. İt seems tha it is colder there. Brrrrr... İt hepls so much to walk outside of home, just realized that.

Have you started to go to work physically? And how many hours can you bear in an office chair?
 
sandybeach your doing more ROM than me. I still have my 90 degree restrictions, I had the anterior-lateral approach, the incision is on my side. I should not complain about out temps, yours are super cold! My walking is around the house and walking around Target. The latter just ends up costing me more. I'm convinced the lousy weather doesn't help our immune system when it comes to colds. Stay warm and feel better.

sansabosa I'm doing well, slow and steady is the way to go. I have been working from home this week and it's been pretty good. I have an overbed table that my laptop sits on. I don't seem to have a problem with office chairs, so far. Mine here at home is pretty much the same as the one have at work. I will start back at the office on the 11th of April for a few hours a day. It's frustrating to get answers when I'm not physically at the office. I need facetime with my boss to get things done properly. I do look forward to having more contact with people. My dogs are not good conversationalists. How are you doing? How many hours are you putting in at work now? I think your weather in Istanbul is warmer than here. We are having a really cold march this year, right this minute it's -2 degrees celsius.
 
Hi Susan,
İ am doing fine. So far so good. İts been 4 weeks post op now. İ'm walking with a cane. For my conditions this has been the fastest recovery among all my hip surgeries since childhood. Home PT is over now. She will come on sunday to assist me to get into the pool and show me some exercises in the pool.
İve been working from home with emails and phone calls like 2-3 hours a day in the last 1-2 weeks. TOmorrow i will go to the office and try to stay there for 2-3 hours and test myself. My first check up with the OS is on week 6, two weeks from now.
İ felt so good today, being able to walk outside for about 20 min or so, great sense of independence. However i do feel scared as if people may bump into me and i may fall. İts crowded here in downtown İStanbul. İts around probably 12 degrees Celcius and i was able to sit outside in the afternoon in a cafe...
Anyway, things are getting much better i assume...
Keep well
Selin
 
designergirl,
Hey Susan are you still having back pain? My husband and I went to the grocery and by the time we were done my back was killing me. I just wanted to see if your has improved. Like you said, "two steps forward, one step back". I get anxious when my mind thinks my body can do more than it's actually ready for.
 
designergirl just checking it to see how you are doing. I haven't started back to work yet, I have one more week before I have to do that. I haven't driven yet, I have to admit just a little nervous about doing that yet. My return back to work will be a good test for the future to see what I can physically handle. I am starting back really slowly and I have given myself the option if I need to go home I can. I have a 30 minute drive each way so again a good test.
 
Weezi Back pain update: new mattress was installed in guest bedroom I'm using yesterday and glory be, I woke up today for the first time since surgery without back pain. I have also started doing back muscle strengthening exercises the last few weeks, Palates type exercises. It seems to be working. I did a lot of stairs in the last few days and a few new pains have started in my butt. Nothing really bad, just a tiny reminder that I did too many.

sandybeach I go back to work on the same day as you. I have been working from home for the last week, so it's time to make a personal appearance for a few hours a day. On driving, I'd try it out on side streets for a little bit each time. It may be hard to do 30 minutes right off the bat. I was nervous the first time also. On Friday I drove myself to a doctors appointment 15 miles away, ended up having to break hard because someone cut me off and I felt no pain from it.
 
BarbaraR I've been working from home the last two weeks. Last week I did 30 hours and I felt up to it. It's not a physical job so I just plan on getting up every hour or so to stretch and walk. Officially I will be going into the office next Monday for 5 hours. I can then take the rest of my work home with me. I feel as if my energy h as returned and I don't feel like napping during the day. life is really getting back to normal. I still have the 90 degree restrictions for another 12 days, but I'm managing them. I've even started taking the dogs out for walks.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom