Guest viewing is limited

THR Designer girl has a shiny new hip!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Designergirl,

Glad you are doing well. Good luck with your PT today. I wish you a speedy recovery!!

MJ
 
Update 4: PT came and got me out of bed. Boy that leg is heavy. Walked to the room door and back. I now am sitting in a pretty uncomfortable chair, hoping that I can get back to bed and nap soon. The catheter is out and I'm also getting a blood transfusion. IV seems to not be working, so they are going to start a new one (oh goody) that's it for now
 
Yay on getting through the surgery, Designergirl! Welcome to the other side. Yuk on the hospital food. They had the nerve to call it "Room Service" in my hospital and, believe me, there was no Lobster Thermidor with asparagus tips on the menu.

'Hope they get your IV working -- Yikes! I can't remember who it was, but someone wrote about an IV that wasn't actually hooked up an no one noticed it for 24 hours. I'm glad you're staying on top of the pain management.

No worries on the heavy leg. Remember, I had elephantitis at first? It passes, and I'd trade "heavy leg" for bone-on-bone rubbing, any day.

Rest up, enjoy your naps, and keep us posted when you can.

Cheers!

HHH
 
Hi Susan/Designergirl,
Congratulations on getting to the other side with a lovely new hip.Sounds like you are doing really well and the hospital staff are doing their job well. shame about the yucky food hospital food must be the same the world over. Wishing you a speedy recovery and so glad that you are rid of the hip that was like 2 stones rubbing together.No wonder you were in such pain.So onwards with your new life.Keep us preops up to date with your progress.
 
To me, "Frightening deep-fried chicken," is just another way of saying, "I'll have what she's having." My wife has had us cooking (and me eating) so healthy for so long, that nothing would taste finer. We met on the anxious side of the O.R. and it's good to see you on this, much funner side. Two weeks on and I've yet to get bad advice from any of the Smartypants here. Hang in there, and enjoy the new hardware.
 
Don't know about in other places but New York CIty has sanitary ratings from the health department. The hospital cafeteria for visitors and staff got a C rating which as you may imagine is quite awful. Luckily my favorite burger place is a block away and they got an A.
 
Hi D.G.!
Congrats on the new hip!!!I work on a plane for a living and I thought nobody could top our food as far as yuck factor!! Well..I was wrong! My hospital food was pretty bad..nothing like a cold bagel with cream cheese in the morning to start your day. Thank God I had no appetite!!! I found the best moment was when I did NOT have to use a bedpan!!!I had a shy blatter and it took 1/2 hour before I could get something to happen!! Using the port-a- throne made me feel like a queen!! You are getting a blood transfusion?? I hope you are ok....I never heard of that. Sounds like you are doing great and you have a great attitude!!Your new hip found a good home!!:yay:
 
Acbelmar, my OS says it quite common to get a transfusion. I was just so tired today and after a blood draw, the doc decided it was necessary. I'm starting to perk up a bit. They just moved me to a private room, my OS likes all his patients in private rooms. There just weren't any available after surgery.

Having a bit of a problem with my IVs. They keep blowing my veins. Hopefully this one is a keeper. I am icing, but the dressing is so thick the cold doesn't seem to get through. Now that my catheter was removed, it's off to the bathroom often, dragging my 100 lb. leg off the bed. Once I get it down, I'm ok with the walk, practice makes perfect. The nurses are telling me that the second day is the worse and it will start feeling better. I don't perceive the new hip as foreign or strange, it feels like my hip without the grinding. Once the pain of the incision and muscle manipulation calms down, I'm looking forward to this.
 
designergirl
Hi Susan,
The second day (post op day1) is the worst since they take out the pump and catheters, but it also brings you back to life.
Susan, my veins were so thin that they had to call nurses from the blood bank or anesthesiology dept to draw blood and it blew for 3 times. İ have 9-10 different İV attempts on my arms and hands. My wrists have colours of purple, green, brown etc. Thin vein structure is probably about genetics, but rest assured everyting gets better after the second day. Because of the İV problems they switched to oral pain medications before its due time.
İ also had blood transfusion just like you and it helped me significantly over the course of a couple of hours.
You've had your coffee, no?
 
Congratulations Susan!!

You will be dancing a jig by the time I have my surgery on March 12th! :dancy:

Keep a smile on your face :egypdance: and keep up the great work!

Valarie
 
Day after surgery additional update: after I was started on oral pain meds, Lortab. I started feeling relly tired. By evening I had a raging headache and felt like I had the flu with extreme achiness. This kept getting worse and then I developed some big hives in my mouth. The night nurses couldn't figure it out, as my vitals were fine. I just kept saying "something is wrong, I feel so sick. So I thought back to when they started me on them and it dawned on me that I may be having a bad reaction to Lortab. I told the nurse what I thought and I didn't take any more after midnight. They gave me the dalaudin injection and I slept for three hours. When I woke up I was drenched in sweat and felt like a fever had broken, similar to when you are getting over the flu. No more Lortab for me. Ever.

I have been switched to Percoset now and seem to be tolerating it. Dr. Came in and changed my dressing this morning. Said it looked great. I asked how long it was and he told me about 9 inches. He said he doesn't want to start with a small incision and not be able to do what he needs to. So I expect PT people to come in soon to make me do stuff that hurts. The hardest art is getting out of bed. Once I'm up I can manage with the walker pretty well
 
Susan, It sounds like everything for the most part is going good. You never know how some of that medicine is act with your body. I came home yesterday and was able to sleep in my own bed last night. I would have loved to stayed the accommodations were great but my poor husband slept in an over sized chair that reclined. The nurses said they had a cot they would move in but he said he would just use the chair. I was really ready to leave. I don't have any restrictions. I had been getting up from a few hours after surgery. I didn't have a catheter so I had to get up to use the bathroom. I can take a shower, my dressings don't need to be changed, they come off in 10 days. I did have a drain, they took that out yesterday before I left. Nothing was draining anymore. They said just keep a band aid on it if I want to. When do you leave the hospital? Take care and let us know how your day goes...I will do the same:)
 
sandybeach
Great news sandybeach.
İ was hoping to hear from you. Glad you are home.

designergirl
Hi Susan,
İ assume you are much better today. Getting up from bed progresses every day, dont worry.
When will you be discharged? Tomorrow?
 
I'm hoping to go home tomorrow (Friday) I have been able to get the heavy leg on and off the bed by myself. It hurts a bit, but it's not searing, stabbing pain. I think if I can dazzle PT with my abilities today they will allow it. I've already be cleared by OT to go. She told me she wanted to take me around to show some of her hesitant patients that it can be done with a bit of effort. I never thought that this process was going to be easy, but in the long run it will be worth it. Now I seemed to have lost my ice packs, things just seem to disappear in this hospital bed. Bye for now
 
Ooo designergirl you are the star patient, well done you. Great to hear that leg is only hurting a bit, sound just like my experience, the leg was very heavy but once I was upright the pain was bearable.

Hope you get home tomorrow, fingers crossed

Take care

Ann
 
Alright designergirl!!:egypdance:

I kept turning the light over my bed either on or off because the clipped it to my pillow! No clue why and the really cord wasn't long enough :scratch:
 
Yay for DesignerGirl as the poster child on her ward, and Sandybeach, who's home now. Please take it easy and learn from my mistake of trying to return to "normal" too quickly. Sandy, it sounds like you have a good man who was willing to sleep in a chair beside you in the hospital. That's so sweet!
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom