THR Designer girl has a shiny new hip!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yet another issue has popped up, oh joy. I have asthma, usually it well controlled with long acting inhalers and a few other meds. In the last few days I've noticed I'm wheezing more. I used my recue inhaler, Atrovent around the clock yesterday. When I have a bad spell, usually my allergist has me do a 4 day course of Prednisome and use my nebulizer instead of the inhaler. I'm not sure if prednisone would be good if I'm healing from surgery. I will call my OS to ask what to do. I certainly don't need breathing problems now. Just before surgery they had me use a nebulizer because of my asthma dx.
 
Did they have you use an incentive spirometer? I was a little congested and they had me use one.
 
Yes, I did use the spirometer at the hospital, not using it as much here at home. My asthma periodically flares up like this, it's just bad timing now. I'm really paranoid about this turning into a lung infection also. My allergist has prescribed antibiotics in instances like this before, my lungs being prone to this. I just hope they will do it over the phone, I don't want to have my husband have to take me to the doctors
 
I wonder if our bodies are more suseptable to all of these things post surgery. You would think they would be considerate than to make you travel so soon after surgery, hope it clears up...
 
Called OS and basically the Percocet is causing both problems. I'm now faced with the choice of reducing my dosage by alternating it with Advil I'll try this but it sucks because the Percocet is terrific at pain relief. Too bad it makes me miserable with everything else.

Just got a call from OS and he wants to see me a week earlier because of these issues. Now just need to enlist a family member to take off work and transport me.

Good thing I never thought this was going to be rainbows and lollipops.
 
Thanks 2B, I think when the calendar turns to March, all cold weather should go away. There's still several inches of snow on the ground here. It needs to melt. I'm like you, I'd rather be a bit more uncomfortable than deal with nasty side effects. An asthma flare up is vey hard to deal with, breathing is so hard when this is going on. So far the Advil is working. The next dose I take will be a half tab of Percocet and an extra Tylenol. Lets see how that works.
 
So sorry to hear that you are having a bad reaction to the pain med's. I have never taken percocet. My OS has me taking tylenol and oxycodon. I have been backing down from the oxycodon because it puts me to sleep and I think it's starting to bother my stomach a little. My pain level is good with it being reduced. So far I haven't had any issues. I start PT tomorrow. I haven't really been up doing much more than walking around the house a little. I did stand and did some dishes yesterday but when I felt it was enough I went and sat down. My husband finished up. I told him I would rather try to do a few things and he could finish up than do nothing at all. I don't think it's good to sit around and do nothing but then I'm not sure how much to be up walking around either. I figure as long as I'm feeling good and continue to do so, I must be doing something right. It sounds like you have a really good daughter. She spent lots of time with you in the hospital and now she's cleaning for you too. I bet she would be doing that even if you didn't already have that arranged. I have two daughters, one is out visiting friends in Pennsylvania for 10 days the other has a one year old and a baby due in June...don't think I'm gonna get any cleaning out of either of them. I like your idea for transporting items with the bag. I use both a walker and cane.
 
Hi SB, I just looked t the bottle of pain meds and I have generic Percocet which turns out to be oxycodon and acetaminophen. On the drug info it does mention a worsening of breathing problems nd by golly I have it. I really need to avoid it now. I took a dose of ibuprofen and it was good, then at next pain med time I took a half of a Percocet and a Tylenol and within an hour my breathing has turned bad. I'm done with it. With the bad reaction to Lortab (hydrocondone and acetaminophen) I'm running out of narcotics. There's another one the OS could prescribe called Norco, but it has the same side effects listed.

I've had luck for the last three months on Tramodol, so when I see my OS on Thursday, I will ask for a script for it. I did have two refills left but according to my pharmacy, it went to controlled substance status in our state on February 23. The original script was generated electronically so after that date the refills were not available. Stupid laws don't help people that need these meds. I can't imagine myself being addicted to them, they make me feel horrible.
 
Hi Susan, just catching up on all your news. So pleased your all done and on the other side now, such a shame about the reactions youve been having I do hope that soon the symptoms ease! One more sleep for me then I can join you on the road to recovery. All the best, Jo x
 
You know between alternating doses of ibuprofen an acetaminophen, the pain has not increased. I'm icing regularly and not trying to do too much. If this works, I won't miss the narcotics. They did put you to sleep nicely though, oh well, lucky me
 
Designer girl...u sound like a fighter...so keep it up! It's only Monday..i hope the rest of the week are not "mondays" for you..
 
anniemg, the day already got better. Since I can manage the stairs to my bedroom, I don't have to sleep downstairs tonight, oh how I'm looking forward to this.
 
[Bonesmart.org] Designer girl has a shiny new hip!
Aren't they wonderful, Susan. Make a note of it and tuck it away to pull out on a day when things don't seem to be going so well. Do that with all your milestones so you have a way a gauging how far you've come rather than stressing on how far you have to go.

Take care and keep us posted. We care. [Bonesmart.org] Designer girl has a shiny new hip!
 
I'm very familiar with the Bonesmart cocktail. It works better now!
 
Another thing that happened late yesterday is that my lungs were so congested from the Percocet, that my allergist suggested putting me on an antibiotic. That was a super great idea, as I was progressing into a lung infection. Usually I get prednesone to help with that, but post surgery, it was out of the question. I'm feeling much better and the congestion is going away. I also have to use my nebulizer for breathing treatments, but that problem seems to be going away.

Still alternating doses of ibuprofen and acetaminophen with good results. Even slept two hours past my medication time with no bad results. So now it's 8:15 am, the sun is actually shinning, I'm laying on the couch with a coffee and ice pack and my nurse Scotty dogs are snoozing on the other couch. When I get up the 9 year old, August will get up and follow me, making sure I'm doing what I should. Today is a pretty good day.
 
Yay to your good day and your Scotty dogs! They're wonderful. The alternating doses of ibuprofen and acetaminophen are a great idea. I've used the combination for other circumstances (broken ankle, sprained MCL) and it works wonders. As a fellow allergy sufferer, I was happy to read that your congestion is subsiding and that the prescribed antibiotics will knock it out. Geez, a bout of sneezing and wheezing is all you need, right now, huh?

I have a nine-year-old niece, so I can attest to what good nurses they make. It's an age at which they're hyper-aware of all the 'shoulds,' at least yours!

Enjoy your coffee and sunshine, and keep us posted.

Cheers,

HHH
 
Designer Girl..lucky u sleeping in your own bed..i'm very jealous!!
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom