BoneSmart® Hip / Knee Replacement Forum
Joint Replacement Patient Advocacy
and Online Community

Depression/post-op blues - open for all

Discussion in 'Hip Replacement Recovery Area' started by Josephine, Jan 17, 2016.

1. Jaycey

Jaycey SUPER MODERATOR Moderator

United Kingdom United Kingdom
    There is no timeline for this recovery. Literally every THR recovery is different - even on the same person. Just allow yourself time to heal. Perhaps put the festive decorating and letter writing on hold for now. You really need to save your energy for healing.
    Good way to look at this recovery. It takes as long as it takes. Your hip is in charge.

• Agree Agree x 1
  2. hiphoser

hiphoser junior member

United States United States
    Hi @Jamesdean. I like your hip replacement blues! Plan to reread the ditty when my moods starts to slip. Thanks for sharing!

• Like Like x 1
  3. Jamesdean

Jamesdean graduate

Well @hiphoser Thank you kindly. It helps me to write, I never ever gave the recovery any thought but I didn't actually give the operation any thought either, maybe I am just a bit naive, who knows but I really needed it done. What I do know now, is that it could be a long haul but am now prepared for that. Have a good weekend and please get in touch if you need and we can sing the blues together - actually if there's two us its probably not the blues anymore, not sure.
    Dean

• Like Like x 1
  4. hiphoser

hiphoser junior member

Thanks also @Jaycey. I am fiddling a bit with small pieces of decorating followed by knitting while sitting on ice. I still struggle with feeling blue when these set backs occur. I seem to find it hard to see beyond the fog of recovery, to something brighter ahead. So I appreciate the encouragement from all of you fellow hipsters. Today is starting a bit better pain-wise, so that’s wonderful. They tell me my issue is some glut medius tendonopathy, which was present before my hip replacement. The trauma of the surgery really stirred up that old scar tissue and made it quite vulnerable to overdoing. I read another funny post somewhere in the forum about the perverseness of our bodies in not notifying us DURING the thing we are overdoing, but instead screaming it 12 hours later! Arrrrgg. Makes it difficult to know how much my poor Glute will tolerate at 10 weeks post op. So, I’m trying to err on the side of caution. Thanks again, bonesmarties!

• Like Like x 2
  5. Hipdeedo

Hipdeedo new member

Yeah. I found post op to be pretty depressing. All you here from your friends is how fast "others" were up and running just a couple weeks after their surgery and now you are hoping for the same results while living 24/7 in your recliner. In my case I had a front tooth fall out, just fall out, at 1:30AM five days after surgery. It was a crowned tooth that broke. The protocols regarding dentistry had to be waived to take care of this problem. All the dentists visits associated with this and all the antibiotics I had to take really racked my psych and my digestive system.
    I must say though that once I could drive myself to PT, my outlook changed dramatically.
    Now, I look forward to doing this, less the dental problems, all over again with the other hip on Jan 29th.

• Like Like x 2
  6. Jaycey

Jaycey SUPER MODERATOR Moderator

Total rubbish and so unhelpful. Everyone seems to know a "friend of a friend" who was training for a marathon just weeks out of surgery. NOT! Anyone who says this has no idea about this recovery.

Sorry to hear about your tooth @Hipdeedo ! Not exactly what you need on top of recovery.

• Agree Agree x 2