Guest viewing is limited

THR Delphi's Recovery - Surgery 23/2

Hi Diane @Delphi, I can totally relate at the moment. I think it's probably normal! We've come a long way and at this point it all feels slow and boring. Every time you do too much you pay for it afterwards as I keep finding out too! Am so bored of my walk now!! And my house!! My physio was interesting this week. Told me yo really focus on the small movements that strengthen my thighs as this is what will make it easier to walk further. She told me little and often and only small movements / not to the point it hurts. I've been focussing on those (again very boring!!) I think it will all feel a bit better when the sun comes out a bit more and we can be outside more - it's really cold here today. Hang in there. I'm sorry about your mum. I imagine she would have been telling you to slow down as that's exactly what mine did with me - she was very bossy lol!!
I keep trying to think of things to do in the day to stave off the boredom.
My husband was in Westminster area at the time of the awful attack yesterday but had no idea what was going on. I was very relieved to speak to him as I knew he'd gone for a meeting there. So awful.
Anyway my lovely hope the rest of the week goes better. I have set back my expectations of being speedy gonzales after 6 weeks but I do think we are doing really well and will look back in a few months to this just being a moment in time.
Take care,
Sam xxx


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
@Delphi You are in what I can the "one month slump". At this stage it all seems very boring and nothing seems to be happening recovery wise. But you are still very much in healing mode. Don't beat yourself up for doing too much. Recovery is all about finding your limits, scaling back and trying again another day.

We are all in a bit of a shock from the activities of yesterday in London. For me it was a very uncomfortable reminder of 7/7. I was working in St Mary's Hospital in Paddington at the time and suffered with PTSD for several months following that attack. I am still uncomfortable going to London but do it in defiance. We can't let these guys win IMO!
 
Hi Sam,
Thank you so much. Today wasn't great as you obviously understood. I can only imagine how desperate you must have been yesterday. Thank God all was ok for your husband. I haven't been to physio or even had any exercises given to me to do, so was interested to hear about the thigh exercises. What are they?
Well, tomorrow is another day. Not normally given to feeling so down. My mum would definitely have given me a kick up the backside! I miss her beyond words.
Thanks again,
Diane xxx
 
Hi Jaycey,
Thanks for your kind words and encouragement.
I agree totally. Sorry you went through that experience,it is not easily forgotten. I used to work in London most weeks, was often around the Russell Sq area then , and know exactly where you are coming from. I think twice nowadays about going to London for pleasure, but agree that you cannot let these b******s win. Feel incredibly sorry for everyone caught up in this dreadful situation x
 
Diane - I think it is perfectly normal to feel like you do, I struggle with all the limitations and crave normality but do remember it is coming our way! I know when I've overdone it, 3 steps forward and 2 back! I've had horrible knee pain and I've now got a Physio appointment at the hospital next week. I feel that in the uk, the Physio support is lacking... I've been talking to s woman in the US who is my age and had her op on he same day. She has so much more support! Why is that?

It is so easy to become so wrapped up with looking onwards but you are right, after such awful events in London yesterday, we have so much to be grateful for.

Stay strong and dig deep [emoji177][emoji177]xx


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
Thanks Pony. I hope your knee problem is resolved quickly and that the Physio can bring you relief. Yes, strange isn't it, how incredibly varied the prescribed rehab post op is , both within the UK and more markedly, in the US?Particularly surprising given the crossover in training and research between the two.
Let us know how you get on with the Physio . Thanks again for the support,
Diane xx
 
My sincere thoughts are with all of you who are living in the United Kingdom: @Delphi, @sammylou99, @Jaycey, @ponymad and anyone else not specified here:
The senseless tragedy that happened yesterday is horrific beyond words. I lived in Hampshire (Hants) for several years decades ago, and always maintained a fondness and keen appreciation for the UK. Sending you all kindest regards for a better tomorrow.
 
@Delphi sounds like you're doing great! Congrats on being on the other side. Look forward to hearing about your continued successful recovery.


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
Sorry to hear you had a setback. If you recall I had my THR on the same day as you.

I had the same setback last weekend when I walked further then I have done previously.

However, over the last two days I have pushed myself a bit and managed to increase my walking to 2 fifteen min sessions a day with one stick. I'm pleased with that!!

I had a physio appointment yesterday, apparently it is standard to only get one (?!) but luckily I'm getting another one as my limp is quite pronounced. I was told to use no sticks in the house and one for walking outside. Been given more exercises and a band to use for the exercises. I was told off for doing to much resting (really?!) and that I need to do more as I'm hindering my recovery. So, exercises three times a day. Forty mins walking a day and being active at home. I am giving it a try but if it hurts I will stop!!!

Hope you feel better soon,

Leanne xx
 
Thank you @HippyHappy and @Mojo2013 .

Thanks also Leanne @Colchester for your kind thoughts.
You sound like you are doing really well with your 2 x15 min walks so I was amazed at what you have been told by your physio. It really irritates me that there is such wildly varying advice out there for us in recovery. Everyone obviously wants to do what is best to achieve a full recovery and a speedy return to normal activity, yet the amount of conflicting information given to people is quite astounding. You would expect there to be some sort of gold standard to achieve best results but apparently not!! I was given no exercises by OS, physio or nurse. All just said gradually increase your walking every day as well as resting and pottering in the house. At the education session, we started as a mixed knee and hip group but were then split up as we were actually told that knees need specific exercises but hips only need walking! Well, I am sure everyone does some basic stuff such as ankle pumps but it would be nice to know if there is any evidence that one specific approach is better than another.

I am sure we will all get there eventually, despite our different routes!
Hope you all had a lovely weekend. The weather up here has been glorious, so hoping we keep the sunshine a bit longer!

Take care,
Diane xx
 
Hi guys,

Op was 5 wks today. Huge improvement in that time but still struggling a little. Still on the 2 crutches but have tried to practice walking without aids indoors. Afterwards have felt very sore and swollen again, so presumably too soon. Last couple of days here have been wet, so not much walking outdoors. Prior to that, stood in the garden for an hour pruning, not leaning downwards as per restrictions, but still ended up with massively swollen area around hip and incision. Have rested hip much more in last day or two, and has definitely eased somewhat.

Had a friend visit for lunch today and that cheered me up enormously. Sometimes, I feel like it really does you good to think about anything other than the hip and your recovery! There is a whole other world out there, and hopefully, we will get to experience it sooner rather than later!!


Had stopped icing about a week ago, but if this continues, will start again tomorrow.

Hope all of you who have recently had your op are looking after yourselves, taking your meds to schedule, resting ,icing and eating well to help repair your body.
Thinking of you all,
Diane xx
 
Hi everyone,
Has anyone with the 6 wk restrictions tried sleeping on their side and if so at which point? I have been sleeping really badly the last few days and struggle to get comfortable on my back. I start off ok but then wake , wanting to turn on my side , but scared to do so. I must be getting better as I could not have remotely considered doing that even a week ago. I am 5 wks out from posterior RTHR.
Thanks,
Diane
 
Hi Diane, sorry you've been sore again. I think it's only your body telling you you've done too much. My OS told me yesterday to back off the walking when my thigh hurt as the bone is still growing around the uncemented stem. I think this is the frustrating time when you have to go slowly but surely. Keep icing!!
Both my OS and two physios have told me it is completely safe to sleep on my side with a pillow between my legs. I used a long pillow so there wasn't a chance of it moving. The first week it ached and I could only lie like that for about half an hour but it was a relief to lie in a different position. Now I can lie like that for a couple of hours at a time and he told me yesterday no need for pillow anymore. I did still use the pillow last night though as it was more comfortable like that. Can you call your surgeons office to check if it's ok for you to do that? It certainly helped my sleep to get off my back. The differing instructions for us all post op is strange isn't it? I would call and check.
You're neatly there. One more week is not long. Then you can start building up the strength in that leg.
Sending you hugs.
Sam xxxx


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
Oh and re timings, I have been ok'ed to lie on my side since my 2 week check up (with a pillow) but it is really only in the last week that it's been comfortable to do so.
Sam xx


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
Morning Sam,
Thanks for your advice re sleeping. Much appreciated! I have been awake since 2o'clock this morning, so am ready to try anything to get some sleep! Have only been taking 1 Paracetamol in the morning this week, so thinking I should maybe increase that again as well to counter the aching bum. It feels like a backward step, as I am not a tablet person, but I guess needs must.
Glad to hear that you are doing so well. Also really appreciate the generous support you give to me and others on here - it does not go unnoticed!
Have a lovely day,
Diane xxx
 
I also stopped the meds yesterday and by bedtime I was sore and aching. I hate taking pills too but I think I was also too quick to stop. Am going to take a couple of doses of paracetemol today so I can do my pt exercises. I would keep taking them for a bit longer as you don't want to be in pain at this stage.
And thanks for your support. I've still got a way to go as my op leg muscles are very weak but I'm going to keep at the pt and not rush anything!
Have a snooze today, you must be tired xxxx


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
@Delphi and @sammylou99.
I'm enjoying both your recovery threads.
In my opinion ( I'm no doc ) paracetamol ( Tylenol ) is one of the wonders of medicine.
Almost no one has a reaction to it. Its not addictive and its one of the best pain relievers around.
Stay on it I say full dose 1000mg x 4 daily for a while longer and I'll bet both of you will sleep better and therefore feel better for your recoveries during the day.
Your flying guys.
Joe...........
 
Thanks Joe and Sam,
Joe, you are probably right about the Paracetamol , and I will take more tomorrow if I feel I need it. However, in case it's escaped your notice, it's Friday night and I' m afraid the thought of a few glasses of wine has won hands down!!!
Hope you also have a very pleasant evening! Have a lovely weekend everyone!
Take care,
Diane xx
 

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom