Guest viewing is limited

THR Delphi's Recovery - Surgery 23/2

I, too, send thoughts and prayers to all those affected by this senseless attack in the UK. Unfortunately it is becoming all to common and needs to end.
 
It was a senseless, barbaric act of utter cowardice. I grew up in the North West and still have many friends, plus family in that part of the country. Manchester is a great city and one I know very well. It is rich in culture, history, music and diversity - a tight knit and tolerant community.

Whatever the motives of the perpetrators was, they will never destroy that spirit
 
Hi everyone, hope you are doing well.

I haven't posted much recently. I am in Portugal on holiday and very much enjoying this lovely country and it's wonderful climate. I am 4 months out now and have improved enormously. Before the holiday I still couldn't climb stairs reciprocally and wondered why my recovery seemed slower than for many. The good news is that probably thanks to strengthening via daily swimming and walking here, I can now do stairs normally and in many ways had started to think I was on the home straight.

Fast forward to yesterday, and perhaps foolishly, I thought I would try to return to golf again, starting with practice at the driving range. I only hit about half a dozen shots and was being quite careful, but suddenly felt a real pull by the incision site. Obviously it was too soon, but by the time I got back, I had an enormous lump on the side of my thigh which was red hot. After icing all last night, the swelling has subsided but still feels tender and I am back to feeling as though I am sitting on a lump. Just wondering if there are any golfers out there who can tell me how long it was before they started playing again and how they progressed? I am not a fanatic but would like to think I could play again at some point.

How are my February friends doing? Hope @sammylou99 ,@ponymad , @JenJuniper and @LancashireLass are all enjoying life with their new hips . For those people who have only just had their ops, there is life afterwards! We all get there in our own time frame but one day, you realise that you are getting back to normal and doing stuff you maybe haven't been able to do for years.

Enjoy your Sunday! I will be heading down to a lovely beach restaurant for lunch which has great live music and partaking of some of the excellent seafood and vino!
Cheers!
Diane
 
Hi @Delphi great to hear you are in sunny Portugal!! How lovely. Sorry to hear about the golfing. I'm sure it will be fine but needs more time to settle. A bit like my OS telling me no surfing or stand up paddle boarding this summer to let it bed in. Imagine can easily get inflamed at this point! I went to see ELO at Wembley Stadium last night. I have been doing really well but all the walking, stairs at the tube and dancing was a killer!! Hobbled into bed last night and needed lots of ibuprofen!! Probably all too much but was worth it!! We will get there!! Have a fantastic time in Portugal :)
Sam xxxxx


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
Hi Sam,
Great to hear from you and glad you enjoyed the ELO concert. I can imagine that the trip to Wembley was tiring, to say nothing of the boogying! Ah well, it's got to be done sometimes! I have actually been here for nearly 3 weeks so going home tomorrow, boohoo!!!
Keep in touch,
Diane xxx
 
Hi Delphi. Portugal sounds wonderful and Sam... Who knew ELO still lived on???
Wonder what the knot is? A muscle by the incision? Scar tissue from the incision? Can you tell?
Hope you feel better to travel comfortably!
 
Diane - too bad about the golfing - I'm not a golfer but can imagine the frustration? For me pushing it is paddling the canoe - well the paddling is okay - it is the getting out that gave me a bit of a setback? But I'm going to do it again! Some things are just worth it.

@sammylou99 - hey Sam, dancing! Hope I'll be up for dancing at my nephew's wedding! Again, we have to try, eh?
 
Hi @Delphi - sounds great

We are off to Portugal in Sept., by which time I will be four months too - can't wait!

Wow @sammylou99 - ELO, they were VG, I bet they still put on a good show! My wife bought me tickets to see Alison Moyet later this year. I am a big fan!

Best wishes
Peter
 
Hi @Jaycey , thanks for the info. Yes, there are definitely some similarities. Hope it doesn't get any worse but still very uncomfortable at present. Unfortunately have also had lots of twinges and some collapsing in my good hip this holiday. Was trying to ignore it but feels very much like my right hip did at the start of the degeneration. Really don't want to go through this again any time soon!!! Thought all the swimming I was doing to strengthen the right hip may have caused it but just hope that settles down too.

Thanks @Mojo333 and @labanan for your concern. Yes, it's definitely disappointing and frustrating when you think you have moved up a gear and then are proved wrong! Still, doing so many things I couldn't have even tried a month or two ago, so can't be too despondent! Onward and upward as ever!!

Hi Peter, @PS46, where about are you heading to in Sept? It has been much hotter than normal for June here, most days 35degrees plus, with a run of 39 degrees last week. PHew! Just have to keep dipping in that pool and floating on my lilo! Did try getting into the sea but I was actually quite terrified by the force of those Atlantic breakers on my new hip! Once was definitely more than enough for now - the heroics can come later!

Have a good evening,
Diane
 
@Delphi so interesting you talk about your good hip twinges. I have had the same over the past week. I am hoping it is just all the adjusting going on inside after walking so badly on bad hip but am also worried the good hip going bad even though I was told it was fine at the moment. It's pretty achy when I overdo it. Am so NOT ready for the same again just yet! Fingers crossed for us both.
Xxxxx
Sam


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
[Bonesmart.org] Delphi's Recovery - Surgery 23/2 Have not posted any photos before but will try to show you the views from here. It really is lovely!
 
Sam,
When I was originally diagnosed, they did say that I had OA in both hips and my spine, but most progressed in my right. Didn't think for one minute that this would rear it's head in the left so soon. Really hope for both of us that it's a long time before we need the other one doing!! Doesn't bear thinking about, does it?
When are you heading off to Cornwall?
Diane xxxx
 
Oh it looks so beautiful!!! Love the white buildings with the flowers - just stunning!
Yes, I was born with shallow hips although only found out last year so the hip will go in the shallow socket at some point too. Was hoping for a few more years out if it - will keep hoping!!!
Off to Cornwall first week of July and can't wait. Went for a weekend a couple of weeks ago and did so many Beach walks that I just couldn't do last year so it was really satisfying!
Have fun Diane, it looks gorgeous there!!!
Sam xxx


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
Oh and I avoided the Atlantic waves too! Was very tough but great surf. Was so tempted but also worried I might do something to the new hip so stayed out while the others surfed. Next year will be different!!
Xxx


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
Enjoy Cornwall. If I hadn't put my cat into the cattery for 3 wks already, I would be very tempted to go there for a week too! We overlook a golf course here and even now, at nearly 8, people are still playing. Little do they know that I've just seen a pack of about a dozen foxes running through the trees in front of them! Never a dull moment....
Have a great time,
Diane xxx

P.S. @Irish Joe , we are surrounded by Irish people here - are there any left in Ireland?! My Irish accent has come on in leaps and bounds! Hope you are doing well.
 
@Delphi I had sequential thrs though after the first one there was some hope the second one could be delayed. In my case, the new hip highlighted the weakness of the second hip, painkillers had masked the pain initially.

Otoh, I was still in thr mode, house was set up for rehab so getting the second one was far easier plus having a strong hip to support it made recovery much better. Huge relief to be done and dusted.

I'm one mo ahead of you and also ventured out cycling and reviving my former workout at 3-4 mos and experienced some pain. So frustrating yet I attempted again this past month and yahoo no pain this time! You'll get there!

Beautiful pics of Portugal, reminds me of Greece. Enjoy!
 
@Horseshoe, thanks for the other perspective . Cycling still on the horizon for me, but will give that a whirl when I am sure this latest blip has well and truly gone! Two steps forward....
Glad you are getting back to normal now,
Diane
 
Sam,
Forgot to say that the reason we have 3 wks here this year is that it was our 40 yr anniversary last week. Yes, child bride......!!
Who knew!!
Diane xxxx
 

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom