THR Delphi's Recovery - Surgery 23/2

Morning Sam,
Really pleased to hear how well you are doing! It must be so fantastic to be able to walk the dog again without pain - simple pleasures but it's stuff like that which makes life worth living. Did you organise your own physio? Not sure if I will do any or not. I have a letter from my surgeon in case I decide I need it, but was going to assess situation in another couple of weeks. Still can't climb stairs reciprocally and still need crutch a lot of the time, so it may help me. Finding a good physio is quite difficult though. When I broke my ankle and leg, the quality between physio 'S seemed to vary enormously, but until you've worked with them, you don't know which ones are best.
Cornwall in June will be lovely, and not too crowded. We have booked to go to Portugal for a few weeks then. We are renting a house in Quinta do Lago from an Irish family. We've stayed there quite often before, so I know I will feel comfortable.
Well, hope you have nice plans for the weekend. My niece is coming over with her children for lunch and I also have one of my friends who lives in France back here for the week, so another lunch planned with our friends. So good to be able to do this sort of stuff already!!
Enjoy!!
Diane xx
 
Well it's one of those two steps backwards sort of days... had an upset stomach and felt quite ropey yesterday, but then my hip started to really ache and got the ice pick daggers which I haven't had for weeks now. Bizarrely my good leg has started to visibly jump with nerves by my thigh and knee, which is a first. Feeling quite frustrated that this is so interminable. I go from thinking I have made quite good progress to wondering when this will ever end! Anyhow, rain was forecast for this afternoon so I decided to grit my teeth and get out for my walk while I was able to. 50 mins later, I am back and not feeling any worse. Kill or cure!!
For those of you just starting your recovery, there is light at the end of the tunnel, it's just that the length of the tunnel varies so much between us!
Hope you are having a good day... whichever stage you're at!
Diane x
 
Hey Diane, I can relate!! Had a bladder infection a week ago and felt awful. Also getting aches in good leg and lower back but think it's just walking properly again after limping so long. We are doing well really, it's just the full recovery is definitely not the 6 weeks I thought it would be!!! Roll on Italy! Will drink wine and all will be well!
I try and walk every day too, it does help. Chilly here today though!
Am really looking forward to not noticing my new hip any more - bet you are too.
Just look at it as a bad day - tomorrow will be better.
Hugs,
Sam xxxx


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
I can relate. I have various things happening in my good leg, as well as back muscles (apart from my lower back and c-spine issues), but muscles in my mid back. I am sure this is all part of the recovery from walking so horribly for so long, but it certainly can feel as though it's backward steps. I never expected the good leg to have issues! Oh well, I am looking at it as though they are short term issues and have gained so much more long term. Today is a damp miserable day here as well. Temps in the 50s but by Sunday, near 90. Typical spring here.
 
Thanks Sam and Nivea. Yes, yesterday was freezing and today looks similar. Italy sounds very appealing right now! Nivea, wow, that's some jump in temperature! It has varied between 3 and 8 degree C here this week, with a forecast high next week of 16. Woo hoo! A bit different to your 90 f though!
Agree about focusing on the long term prize. Can't wait to be doing normal activities without giving my hip a second thought. Here's hoping all your aches and pains get resolved soon,
Take care,
Diane xx
 
Hi everyone,
Over in Anglesey again and have gone swimming for the second time today. Although it is lovely to be in the water, I am really conscious of my new hip joint and it's motion.
It just feels weird. Don't know whether it is the pressure of the water on the muscles, but it feels really odd, much more noticeable that it's a spare part than when I'm walking! I am 10 weeks out and did 20 lengths of a smallish pool. Not in pain, just jellyish legs afterwards. Have other people felt this sensation when swimming? I only did doggy paddle legs and took it slowly.
Hope you are all having a good weekend,
Diane
 
Hi Diane,
Ooh lucky you to be in Anglesey again!! Hope you're having a great weekend!
I too have found the swimming a bit weird and also notice the difference. I have done kicking legs and a kind of mini breaststroke legs and both feel odd. Achy afterwards too! I'm hoping that the more I swim the less this will be the case. My Os had told me to expect it to feel strange at first. I'm a big swimmer so am not loving the feeling at all!! Hoping as legs get stronger it will change!
Hope all good otherwise. Am off to Italy this week for a few days in Tuscany - will probably be a bit of a test for the new hip in all those hill towns!!! Looking forward to the sunshine food and wine though!!
Take care,
Sam xxx


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
Swimming! I cannot wait. But I have to. The only cessation of pain I experienced the year and a half leading up to the surgery was floating in the waters off of Cuba. So weird feelings huh? I wonder if when you are weightless in the water you can somehow sense the oddness of the non-organic hip? Everything else in our body has water even our bones. Interesting to consider. Keep us informed would you? Have fun on your outings.
 
Hi Sam and Jan,

Hope you are both doing well. Sam, hope you have a wonderful time in Tuscany! Where are you staying? We have had some really lovely holidays there over the years - so many gorgeous places to visit and fab restaurants to try! Hope the hip holds up well to all the walking too. Although if you get tired, there's always a lovely cafe or wine bar not far away to relax in....Enjoy!!

Jan, love the Cuba image! Interesting idea too. It's funny that the first time I have felt conscious of the artificial Joint was when swimming. I normally feel at one with the water, and because of the weird sensations, all I could visualise was this ceramic ball turning in it's socket and the metal stem. Very odd and as Sam says, I really hope the feeling will get better the more I practice. The pool here in Anglesey is newly built on a cliff top with glass walls looking straight out to sea. Gorgeous! And even better, I have had the pool to myself twice out of the three times I've been, so very relaxed swimming indeed! We have had lovely weather here this week so have been able to get out walking and yesterday had my first post op garden centre visit , so all in all a great trip! Not feeling normal yet, but definitely heading in the right direction!!

Hope you have a good week,
Diane xx
 
Ooh that pool sounds great! Yesterday I walked down to the beach and a ways along it. Part of it is a road way for houses that were here before the roads. This was a carless village until the late eighties, people getting here on a cable car before the bridge was built. Along the road part of the bridge were about twenty trucks. People are madly snowmobiling in this last stretch before the spring breakup happens. No sign of it yet - still solid ice in the bay. It was lovely to be walking with the dog and my camera.

Normal is such a great goal!
 
Wow! That sounds like an interesting place to be recovering! Solid ice still in the bay - not the easiest of environments for you to be attempting longer walks. Hope you have some sunshine and warmer weather winging it's way towards you!
Diane
 
Hi Jan,
I'm doing ok I think. 12 weeks out, not as far on as I had hoped, but not too bad. I am still using 1 crutch on longer walks and struggle with going upstairs properly but can come downstairs without a problem. Potted up a dozen large planters last week and was really sore afterwards but that said, still managed to walk about 3 miles to a restaurant for dinner on Saturday. That was the longest walk I've done so far, so I am getting there bit by bit. Oh, and the small matter of 3 hours shopping for holiday stuff!! Trying clothes and swimsuits on in a changing room was fun! Took me about twice as long as normal! Haven't been swimming recently but going across to Anglesey again this week so will try again and hope that the practice makes it feel more normal. Going away to Portugal in a couple of weeks time so really hope that my stair climbing ability improves by then...
Glad to hear you made the decision to defer your return to work. I think we all know when we're ready.... listen to that hip!!!!
Have a great week,
Diane x
 
How exciting to have a holiday coming up Diane!! Was just what the dr ordered for me!! The sun and change of scene was so fab. I think the heat made my hip less sore too. Can't imagine a changing room right now lol!! Hip still swells up a bit when I overdo it giving me that nice one sided Kardashian look [emoji23][emoji23]!!
Hope you enjoy the sunshine this week. I'm going to try the pool again too and see how that goes!
Have a wonderful holiday :)
Sam xxxx


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
Oh you two! I so want to swim. Ah well, the fella and I were noticing that there is more open water than ice in our bay. Another week and it should be clear. They had the annual Ice to Water dance on Saturday night. We didn't go - not only because I'm not dancing yet but because it really doesn't get hopping until 11 or 12. Too late for us.
 
My heart goes out to all the families affected by the terrorist explosion in Manchester at the Ariana Grande concert last night. Thoughts and prayers particularly with those who have lost their loved ones. To target children and teenagers is despicable and barbaric. Unimaginable terror for those involved. What on earth is the world coming to? I am so sad today - heartbreaking and horrific times.
Diane
 
It's so awful - can't quite comprehend it. So many friends with kids at uni in Manchester who have been worried sick. Heart goes out to all involved. Truly awful bit of cowardice. What a world we live in. Xx


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
It's a place I know well, having commuted to Manchester Victoria for a number of years as our office was in the ARndale Centre just opposite. Truly feel sick for those families whose kids are still missing. God knows what they are going through right now x
 
Overwhelmingly sad about the horrific attack in Manchester. I feel the same about the families and friends of the victims. Lives cut short by a senseless act of terrorism. :cry:
 
My heart goes out to all our UK friends. 9-11 and subsequent attacks here in the US are ever so fresh in my memory. Sickening to me.... not only for the physical victims of these attacks, but all of our children who are victims of a new reality where this kind of thing is in our news almost daily. People who want to kill other people should just start with themselves and leave us out of it!!!! My prayers are with all UK citizens
 

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom