Guest viewing is limited

THR Delphi's Recovery - Surgery 23/2

Hi guys,
Had my 6 wk X ray and check up today. Was feeling as though I may be lagging behind a little, but surgeon said I was ahead of normal progress . Very reassuring. Came in to appt on 2 crutches, but after tests, was told no need for crutches unless can't maintain proper walk pattern. Think it's a lot to do with confidence. Told to use 1 crutch until can walk without limp at all. 90degree restrictions removed, can sleep on side, but always with the proviso of ' listen to your hip! ' Walking about a mile a day, but according to OSS, focus on elegant walking style more important than distance.
Hope you are all doing well,
Diane
 
Great update @Delphi!! Sounds like you are right on track! Have you slept on your side yet?! So glad all is a-ok and you can now start to get rid of the crutches. Are you going to do any PT or not? My OS also told me focus on style of walk not distance and it made a huge difference.
Enjoy the sunny weekend!!!
Sam xx


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
Hi Sam,
Yes, tried sleeping on unoperated side last night. Couldn't wait! It did ache a bit though, so only tried it for two periods of about half an hour. No doubt it will get easier as I get used to it. I asked about physio and he said that he thought I would do fine without it, but if I wanted to do it, I should leave it for about 2 months. He said by then muscles etc will be a lot stronger just from walking and daily activities, so wouldn't strain anything. He also said 19 out of 20 of his patients don't need it and recover perfectly well without it! Very Bonesmart in philosophy!! Also told me I could start gentle swimming, with doggy paddle legs if doing breast stroke, and then graduate to frog legs over time. Only thing he said to be careful of was sitting in and especially getting out of low chairs, and not to try cutting toenails for a while. Basically, a common sense approach, as he said dislocation highly unlikely by this stage, as long as you are sensible.
Went out for dinner to celebrate! Took my trusty cushions with me, much to the amusement of the waiter, but at least I was comfortable! Now feeling more confident about the journey to Anglesey too, so looking forward to that next week. Have you decided whether or not to go to Cornwall?
Glorious day today so planning to do a bit of pruning in the garden and maybe the first barbecue of the year! Hope you have a great weekend,
Diane xx
 
Good update Diane - light at the end of the tunnel! I tried side sleeping on operated side - uncomfortable! Last night tried on the non operated side with pillow - everything feels so tight so little by little I think!


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
7 weeks today and a funny old week it's been. I think I've probably done less activity this week than last. I tried to do what my OS suggested and go down to 1 crutch for walking outside, but I could only sustain it for about half my normal walk. I knew by then that my gait was worse and I felt so tired! The swelling afterwards is also worse, so although I have persevered on a few days, I am feeling torn about whether it's something I have to just get through, or whether my body is just not ready for this stage yet. My head is telling me that it will happen when it happens, but I can't help feeling almost disappointed in myself. Sounds silly, I know! That said, have been more active in house and garden, hoovering,polishing, cooking etc, and also had a lovely lunch out with friends, so all of that takes energy. Still, I did not expect that by 7 wks I would still need an hour in bed in the afternoon, as I did yesterday!

The comparison thing with other people is looming large with me at the moment, even though I know it's stupid. In the process of booking a holiday for June, with extra leg room seats, but worrying that I have to be walking and climbing stairs without crutch by then, as you can't sit in those seats if you have impaired mobility as it is an emergency exit. Will probably be fine by then. Certainly hope so!

Happy Easter everyone! Hope you have a lovely weekend whatever you are doing. Just make sure that chocolate is involved and all will be well!!!
 
@Delphi there is a similar discussion on Scoutmom71's thread. It's normal to check our progress against others and in societies that value mind over matter, it can be unnerving to realize that our bodies really are in charge of recovery.

Bear in mind that people experience pain differently, some complain about a hangnail whereas others are stoic about a thr.

A friend of mine sailed through her hip surgery and returned to work in a couple of weeks. Mutual friends have compared her recovery with mine which has been mostly uneventful but not as fast.

Turns out she pushed through the pain and elected to take heavy painkillers for many mos and put on a brave face. I didn't want to push my hip prematurely and suffer later on. People often equate returning to work and activities with being pain free which is a significant point to consider when comparing recoveries.
 
Hi Diane,
No no no comparing!!! You are doing really well and you must go at your own pace! Ultimately we all get to pretty much the same place in the end and I don't think there are many super fast recoveries. Our hips were all in different shape before the operation too / I am working with pt to try and correct my foot turning in which was a product of the state it was in pre-op - it's a slow old business but gradually seeing results!!
Listen to your hip and don't push too hard. I found that little but often walking concentrating on my gait has reaped far more rewards than when I was marching around limping!! I'm not sure if you had uncemented but my OS told me to not overdo the walking so that the thigh hurts in coming weeks as the bone is still growing onto the stem.
I know it's frustrating but you will get there. Look at your progress weekly not daily. Hold in your core when you walk and go short distances.
Have a very happy Easter - chocolate is the answer to all woes!!
Sam xxx


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
@Delphi.
By all means book the holiday.
But pack a Crutch and take your cane with you in the airport even if you have stopped using one at home.
If you have a crutch or cane then people will give you a wide berth in the airport as they are chaotic places at the best of times. Safety over vanity.
The first holiday I went on I took the crutch as an afterthought. I ended up using it in the airport going and coming home. Also when I was there I used it a couple of evenings after walking far too much during the day.
"Better to be looking at it than looking for it" as my father would say.
Joe.......
 
I agree with Joe / am going for a few day to Tuscany in may and planning to take a walking stick for airport and in case leg gets tired walking!!
X


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
Thanks @Horseshoe . I hadn't read the later posts on Scoutmom71's thread, but have just done so and identify with many things discussed there. I also have a couple of friends who have had knee replacements, who told me before the op that hips were much easier and a quicker recovery than knees, so I guess I had those expectations for myself. That said, I sat next to a chap at my OS check up who had had both knees and his hip replaced, but told me that he found the hip replacement recovery much more difficult to cope with over a longer period. Just another example of how individual we all are and how we react to the surgery in a unique way.
Thanks again,
Diane
 
Hi Sam,
Thanks for your advice and encouragement again. Glad to hear that you are seeing improvements with your foot, even if it is slow. As you say, we will all get there in the end! The trip to Tuscany is a real incentive to be able to walk properly. Glorious place! I have spent many happy days there, pootling about and idling away the time. Where about are you going?
We are heading over to Anglesey today, so will be interesting to see how well the hip responds to the journey. Plenty of lovely places to walk over there, but will stick to easy flat routes for now!
Diane xx
 
Joe,
Wise words of advice as ever from you! I had not even thought of packing a crutch, but it makes perfect sense. Will also take a collapsible cane for the airport.
I could just hear your dad saying that, in a broad Irish accent! It really made me chuckle!
Thanks Joe and have a lovely Easter,
Diane
 
I think it's important to remember it is not a sprint - it's a marathon and we all have different starting points. If you were restricted to crutches for 6 weeks, then your muscles will need time to strengthen. I hope you enjoyed Anglesey, beautiful place with stunning scenery... I am having my first trip out of Devon tomorrow - to Manchester!! I'm actually quite excited although a little concerned because I am not good on steps and have booked the extra leg room on my flight. Stay strong Diane, it is moving in the right direction xxx


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
Hi Pony, great to hear from you!
I am still over on Anglesey until tomorrow. Lovely place, but terrible wi-fi reception! Went for a walk around Moelfre yesterday, but defeated by the hill around the bay. Have been trying to increase walking distance, but paying for it again today! Still, as you say, I am gradually improving, albeit still with one or two crutches most of the time. How did the flight to Manchester go? Did you take a crutch for the stairs? Think I would find the airport quite intimidating still - you are obviously doing really well. Have you started back at work?
Hope you enjoyed your day out,
Diane xx
 
Hi Diane ,
Good to read your updates and remind myself that slow and steady wins the race! I'll be looking forward to how your trip goes. We have a road trip both to our home in Nova Scotia and to Ontario for a wedding. By the time we get back to Labrador it'll be 5 thousand kilometres. I'll be at 9 or 10 weeks of recovery but just not certain I can handle it - especially energetically. Well, no need to fret early! I may drcide to skip the wedding and go only to Nova Scotia, but later in summer.
 
Hi @labanan,
Thanks very much. Wow, 5000 km - think that would be pushing it at 9 wks. I was worried about a 2 hr trip to Anglesey, wuss that I am! Actually, it took over 3 hrs because of the Easter traffic, but was ok in the end. Wouldn't have wanted to be in the car any longer though! It was worth it to get here - lovely unspoiled island. We have a holiday home here so come quite regularly. Spent today walking around Red Wharf Bay along the beach. Pretty tiring and I am feeling it now but great to be back doing normal stuff!
Good luck with your recovery - you sound as though you are doing really well so far!
Diane
 
Hi Pony, great to hear from you!
I am still over on Anglesey until tomorrow. Lovely place, but terrible wi-fi reception! Went for a walk around Moelfre yesterday, but defeated by the hill around the bay. Have been trying to increase walking distance, but paying for it again today! Still, as you say, I am gradually improving, albeit still with one or two crutches most of the time. How did the flight to Manchester go? Did you take a crutch for the stairs? Think I would find the airport quite intimidating still - you are obviously doing really well. Have you started back at work?
Hope you enjoyed your day out,
Diane xx

I haven't really stopped work (from home)but it was my first trip out! Only on a small propeller plane with about 6 steps so no problem with the flight. I had to walk around a distillery with colleagues all day but they all knew about my surgery so no issues. I feel very relieved. Not riding yet though! I am enjoying my independence!!! I know when I've done too much, my incision area feels painful deep inside but it is bearable. Glad you are enjoying your break - Anglesey is stunning - great beaches xxx
 
@Delphi. Can't wait to hear how happy you are to be on the other side! I am 3 weeks post op for my double hippie. I, too, was a shadow of myself. I walked to the mailbox yesterday! It's snowy here in northern Michigan. My kids and grandson will be here next week and I will be right out there with them! Last time we rented a wheelchair so I could go where they went. Not this time:) You will be great! I spent a lot of time on the forum the first week. I got such good support and had questions that got answered no matter what time it was. Can't wait to hear from you! Take good care!


Sent from my iPhone using broken link removed: https://r.tapatalk.com/byo?rid=75543
 
8 wks out and feeling better. Such gradual improvement for me, but definitely more mobile after walking on beaches for the last few days. Also does you good to get back into the swing of normal life and enjoy going out to restaurants and shops. Still using crutch and some way to go, but feel less sore for most of the time and have stopped all meds, yippee!

Pony, I am in awe of you! Well done! How you managed to walk round all day is a mystery to me! I bet it was a relief to get back on the plane to go home. Your progress is amazing - no doubt the riding will follow in the not too distant future. You live in one of my favourite counties - we love the area around the South Hams and Salcombe. It is so picturesque, lucky you living there - like being on holiday all year round!

Sam, how are you doing? Hope all going well.

Cadaval, good luck with your op. Hope it is successful.

Have a lovely weekend everyone,
Take care,
Diane x
 
Hi Diane!!
Sounds like you had a lovely time at the beach - so agree that it helps to go normal things and nothing better than being by the sea! I didn't end up going to Cornwall as couldn't face the 4 hrs of travelling but will go in early June - can't wait!
Sounds like you are doing really well. Slowly but surely we are getting there! I have walked my dog three times this week - so so lovely. First time without pain in nearly two years!!! Am a little stiff in the evenings afterwards but not painful! Still going to physio once a week where she pummels my bum getting rid of the tightness!! Not the most comfortable experience and definitely couldn't be called a massage! But it is really helping! Still a little thigh pain if I overdo it. Am learning to listen to my hip! But generally feeling great and the brain fog post op seems to have gone finally!! Feeling so grateful to my lovely surgeon for getting me to this point! Hope you have a lovely weekend - love hearing your updates (and Ponymad too!) fellow Feb hippies! :)
Sam xx


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 

Staff online

  • djklaugh
    Staff member since December 30, 2020

Members online

Back
Top Bottom