THR Delphi's Recovery - Surgery 23/2

It's a strange thing, but the pain I had was intermittent, sharp at times but sometimes just a bit achey - either that or I just got used to it! The problem was that my hip would collapse, sometimes very painfully, and over the last couple of years, my movement has become more and more restricted, making stairs etc very difficult. It's stopped me doing lots of activities - walking, tennis, gym etc and has affected my whole life, making me consider every last little decision on a daily basis. I am by nature an optimist, but I felt that I had gone from having a very full professional and social life to a very watered-down version, and it wasn't going to get any better. I think I can be patient now in recovery, as I want to get that brighter and better version of life back again, asap! As you say, it will come, and that is my driving force now.

I bet you're sorry you said those immortal words ' Just imagine...' now!!!
On that happy note, I'll wish you good night and sweet dreams! X
 
@confused newb , sorry, I intended to thank you for your comments earlier on, but was actually thinking of them when I said I could be patient if it meant that I would get my life back again. Everyone's goals are different, but I'm sure your family will spur you on. Hope it all goes well for you when the time comes.
 
Day 7 for me and unfortunately woke up to discover that the aquacel dressing (which was meant to last 14 days ) had breached the seal and was leaking. Hospital advised me to come back in to get it redone. Definitely wasn't looking forward to that, but the nurse was gentle and made it easier than anticipated. Actually felt more pain trying to get off the trolley bed which required contortionist skills from both of us!
Sadly, after the drive back, was then faced with further evidence of the terrible state of our NHS, when I tried to get further supplies of Codeine from my GP practice. Was told by Reception that they had no doctors today !! ( this is a busy city practice with about 3-4000 patients). Got it sorted tonight after much discussion ,but I feel so fearful about the future of the NHS, when I know that this is not an isolated incident.
Hope that those who have recently had their op are starting to feel a bit better now and managing to move about with less discomfort x
 
Guys.
This NHS thing shocks me when I hear it.
And we are,always,giving out about the Irish system.
No Doctor in a practice for 4000. Does that meant that there is a doctor there and you can't get to see them. Or there is simply no one there that day (surely not).
Joe.......
 
Actually Joe, there just wasn't anyone there. The one doctor who had apparently been rostered , rang in sick, so they eventually managed to get somebody from a different practice to stand in, but for a large portion of the day they didn't have a doctor.
 
Glad you got your dressing and pain relief sorted. A day out'. I still haven't ventured behind the front door despite today being a beautiful spring day. I was home alone and don't feel confident to walk outside on my own yet. I hope you manage some sleep xx


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
Ha,ha! @ponymad, a day out! Funnily enough I hadn't thought of it in those terms! But you're right - it was good to breathe fresh air and I managed the crutches better than I had expected. I was pretty tired afterwards but I think some of that is due to feeling stressed out by the journey and bracing myself every time we went round a corner so that my hip wasn't jostled. When we came back into our road from the hospital on Monday, I thought my hip was going to jump out of it's socket as we went over a pothole - not something I wanted to repeat! I don't think I would have had the confidence to go out by myself either. It's been a mixed day here - sunny at times but rainy in patches so the ground was wet underfoot.
It's a bit like being in a bubble at the moment - real life is suspended for the time being. Will you have somebody with you at the weekend? Perhaps you'll be able to get out for a bit then if the weather's ok.
Hope you manage to get off to sleep too - it's such a big factor in how you feel the next day, isn't it?
Take care xx
 
Hi Diane, just checking in to see how are you are and reading your updates. Hope things have been ok over the weekend, and you are remaining the ever optimist! Take care x
 
Hi Jen,
Good to hear from you. I am doing ok. It was my birthday today, so had a few family members over yesterday and again today. Felt as though I had turned a corner, even though I'm not doing very much at all. That said, I was pretty tired when they left today. It was probably the effort of protecting my leg and foot with a cushion from a dive-bombing 3 yr old... don't ask!
How are you getting on? How mobile are you now? Hope all is well with you x
 
Aw happy birthday for today! Haha Well done on passing the first encounter with a small child!!!! I have managed to avoid animals and small children so far! Phew!
I know what you mean, although not doing much is hard, I think you start to see the little things change eventually...less tired, more tolerant of visitors (haha!) and more mobile/less pain
when you do move.
I'm still on 2 crutches (for another 3 weeks!) so difficult to assess my mobility other than to say there is no pain, and I can walk fine on little trips out.
Physio Wednesday so will post a weekly update then!
X
 
Are you having physio organised by the hospital,Jen? I was told by my hospital to rest as much as poss initially,interspersed with gentle walking, and to increase that as I felt stronger. No mention of any physio. The advice does seem to vary tremendously across the country, doesn't it? Will you let me know what they advise you to do please? I have had good results from physio eventually, after I broke my ankle and leg, but I was going for 18 months with very gradual improvements. I got the impression this time that hips didn't need much extra physio over and above the walking. We shall see....x
 
It's only a physio appt to check your walking gait. There are no plans for regular physio appts. To be honest I'm not sure what use it will be as I'm still on 2 crutches (consultant orders) as I think most people are usually on 1 crutch and sometimes walking unaided by now so that's why they book people in for this one off appt.
I'm doing exactly as you are Diane.... rest rest rest with a little bit of walking [emoji16]
 
Happy birthday Diane! Nice to hear your update and sounds like all is going well :) I was so tired after my bday last week I had to go to bed after everyone left!! I'm not doing much physio too apart from a few stretches they gave me. Am going to see physio and surgeon this week so will find out what's next I guess.
Take care,
Sam xx
.


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
Morning, fellow early bird! I am late to bed and early to rise these days! How are you feeling today? Has the pain from your trip up lessened at all?
Let us know how you get on with your appointment with the surgeon and physio,
Have a good day,
Diane xxx
 
Hi everyone, hope you are having a good day.

Today is 2 weeks post RTHR op ( posterior) for me, so thought I would give a quick summary of progress.

First of all, have never known 2 wks to fly by so quickly. For those of you still awaiting your op with trepidation, do not allow the fear to build up inside you as I did. I can honestly say that what I imagined pre op was infinitely worse than the reality. This is a very doable surgery. My recovery was slow at first, and I found the first week difficult due to nausea, pain and the notorious 'log leg'. However, the meds did control it to a large extent. From about Day 9 or 10, I really turned a corner, with noticeable improvements every day since. I can now
- shower and dress independently ( from day 5 )
- go up and down stairs easily ( from day 4 when I went home )
- get in and out of bed independently ( from day 8 )
- walk easily around the house on 2 crutches (surgeon's orders for 6 wks)
- stand to do simple kitchen tasks
- concentrate on reading
- sleep for about 6 or 7 hrs
Most notably in the last few days, I feel cheerful and optimistic, and much more like my normal self. The district nurse has been today to take out the staples ( ouch!!! ) but she said that it was uncomfortable because my skin has healed so well. The scar looks neat with almost no bruising. All in all, I've started to feel good again. If I had known I would be at this stage after 2 wks, I would not have been so scared pre op. I am taking it easy, resting often combined with short walks around the house. It's not perfect, still achey at times , but the meds ensure that pain is kept to the minimum. Have started to reduce daytime dosage of Codeine, but still on full dosage of Paracetamol.

Hope this detail may help those still wondering how they will cope post op.
If the weather is fine tomorrow, I may venture out for a short walk. I have hesitated to do it so far, as the pavements in our road are very uneven, but I guess you have to start somewhere...

Take care,
Diane x
 
Enjoyed reading your update Diane! @Delphi
Definitely try and get out... even if you go slow and not too far! It really makes you feel great.... I'm not sure we'll have the glorious sun we did yesterday (had my shades on for my walk!) but it's still mild, so go for it! And be careful!!!
Great recovery news...it's not until you put it down in writing that you think, yes look how far I've come! Well done you! X
 
Well done Diane! All sounding really positive. I would echo the getting out, I don't have pavements, just a single track lane with grass verges but getting out in the fresh air really is the best tonic! Yesterday was such a beautiful spring day! I'm walking around the house with no crutches (allowed even with my new stricter restrictions) but use 2 for outside walking xx


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
Great to hear Diane :) :)
Also agree get out - I also have some uneven pavements and roads with verges but have taken it very slowly on two crutches and it feels really great to be out in the fresh air. Start off with a short distance and build it up gradually. I've got a steps app on my phone and it's fun to watch it increasing a little each day!!
I think the two week mark is a real change. I have reduced my meds a lot even with the stair slipping setback. Still very stiff and achy when I get up but once I get moving that goes.
I agree that I wish I'd known I would feel like this so soon. Feeling so much happier than before the op!!
Have a great weekend. Hopefully the sun might come back / it's pretty misty here today!!
Sam xxx


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
I have been pounding the streets for a week now. I started walking about 100 metres down the road and have built it up gradually over the course of the week. I can now walk for about 10 mins at a constant pace. My next goal is to go twice a day.

Good luck and enjoy the fresh air!!
 
Thanks everyone for your encouragement. Went out for a 10 min walk today and really enjoyed it. Tempting to go further, but thought I would see how that went, and it was absolutely fine. Met our new neighbour for a chat while I was out too, so good result on two counts!
Hope you all have a lovely weekend,
Diane xxx
 

Members online

No members online now.
Back
Top Bottom