THR Delphi's Recovery - Surgery 23/2

Thanks everyone for your encouragement. Went out for a 10 min walk today and really enjoyed it. Tempting to go further, but thought I would see how that went, and it was absolutely fine. Met our new neighbour for a chat while I was out too, so good result on two counts!
Hope you all have a lovely weekend,
Diane xxx

@Delphi. Good for you! You sound like me:) I am 6 weeks post op and have had to hold back several times. I had to relearn the lesson slow and steady. I feel like I hit a wall this week where I haven't made much progress, quite sore and not very confident. That's ok, here in Northern USA it is so cold and not very tempting to go outside. One of the things I'm struggling with is educating others and extended family, that I'm still healing. Can't do everything they expect me to do. Most people just need educated. My husband and immediate family are so good to me and have taken really good care of me. Also I would absolutely love to roll around in any position possible to get a good night's sleep! Oh well, that's what naps are for!
 
Hi @opie ,

Sorry to hear that you have had a bit of a hiccup in your recovery this week. I guess daily progress is very noticeable after the first week or two, then becomes less so the further along you get? Are you still taking medication? I don't like the idea of continuing to take it long term, but I'm not sure whether it is still required by the 6 week stage, in general. When does Spring start to make an appearance in Michigan? We have daffodils and tulips coming up in the garden here, and buds on the trees. Seeing the start of the new season always makes me feel better and lifts my mood. It's frustrating looking at the garden at the moment though, because a lot needs doing, and I won't be able to tackle it for a good while yet. I'm having to keep reminding myself that I have other priorities at the moment.....!

Like you, I am lucky to have a husband who is really doing all he can to help me. The surprises have come from a few friends and family who have clearly not understood the magnitude of the surgery and have either completely ignored it, or treated it as a minor ailment! One of my close friends actually told me that she had forgotten that I was having the op and only remembered when she rang me a fIt's such a big deal for us
 
Sorry, opie, did not mean to send as incomplete.
What I was going to say, is it's such a big deal for us, but not necessarily so for friends and extended family. That is one of the reasons that this forum is so important to people going through this experience. You feel understood, that people on this site ' get it' without having to explain everything. Well, here's hoping that you start to feel more upbeat again soon. You'll get there in the end,
Take care,
Diane xx
 
@Delphi. You are SO right about some not understanding! In Michigan, our March is still very cold and sometimes blustery. I understand how hard it is not to be able to get out and garden. This fall, I had to sit and watch as my husband tried to do all that I love to do to get my yard ready for winter. We will have spring flowers and buds on the trees in mid to late April. Yes, I am taking Vicidan (Norco) most every day, usually in the morning to help with the stiffness ( I still am sleeping on my back with a little time on my non operated side). Also before bed to help me get to sleep more comfortably. If I am especially active/ household chores, shopping, walking, doing more than I guess I should be, I have to take more meds. I still use ice and elevate almost every time I rest. Take good care!
 
Hi, fellow hipsters, hope all is going well for you.

Hard to believe, but my op was 3 wks ago today. During the last week, I have seen lots of improvement in mobility and significant reduction in pain and discomfort. Over the last 4 days have reduced, then stopped taking the Codeine, although still taking Paracetamol morning and evening. Reading the progress reports on here from others, I have felt that I was somewhat slower, not that it's a race!

I do feel very much like it's 2 steps forward, 1 step back. Today for example, I walked around the block on the 2 crutches , about 20- 25 minutes walk. Probably only 5 mins further than I did yesterday, but tonight my hip is really swollen again so icing and elevating. Also, over the last week, I have become aware that operated leg is marginally longer than the other. The pavements in our road slope down towards the grass verges, so the differential really magnifies the effect when I'm walking. Just hoping that this will settle over time.

Until today, the last few days here have been really lovely. I have been itching to get out into the garden to get started on pruning and Spring preparation, but have resisted the temptation. I am actually starting to get a bit bored - a sure sign of recovery! Really looking forward to being able to just do things spontaneously, without planning everything in advance!

We are considering going across to Anglesey for Easter but I am concerned about the bed potentially being too low for my restrictions. I will be over 6 weeks post op at that stage, but wondered when you would start feeling more comfortable with the lower height? Also same question with regard to the use of the lovely tall toilet frame? How long did people continue to use that for? I know everyone is different, but even an average time would be useful info for me in planning a possible trip.

Thanks to everyone for the support , information and friendliness on here . It has definitely helped me to cope better with this whole experience and has made it much less scary than I had originally envisaged it to be.

Take care,
Diane xxx
 
Hi Diane,
Great to hear your update and sounds like all is going well!! This bit is slow isn't it!! It's hard to gauge how much is too much exercise. My body certainly tells me if I've overdone it and out comes the ice again!! We are getting there, and hopefully by the time summer arrives we can fully enjoy our new hips!!
I am hoping to be able to go to Cornwall at Easter and am thinking we may be on by then to use a normal loo seat? Hope so as would be nice to get to the sea! I'm going to ask on my 6 week check up. Have managed a normal loo seat at a friends house but required gripping onto a shelf and sticking leg straight out, pretty tricky although I did laugh at myself!!
Anyway glad to hear all's well :)
Sam xx


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
Hi Sam,
Yes,today has been particularly slow!! It's been raining here most of the day, so I haven't been out. Feel like I should be doing more, but when I do, the swelling increases again.
Where about in Cornwall are you heading for? We spent a couple of weeks last year in St Mawes and the Roseland Peninsular, which was just beautiful and very unspoiled.
First day off all meds ( so far! ) so just thinking that I may celebrate with a glass or two of wine tonight! Given that it is 5 weeks since I had any, very much looking forward to it!!
Have a great weekend,
Diane xx
 
Ah I am having a glass of wine right now. Haven't wanted one for so long but it is slipping down a treat lol!!! My MIL has a house in north Cornwall trebetherick, really pretty and lovely coastal path walks. Am just hoping will be able to cope with the 3.5 hour drive!! Maybe with lots of stops and stretching!!
I haven't done much today. I actually think I've been doing too much walking as everything was aching so have cut it down a bit and doing my PT stretches and shorter walk which is much better. Think I was too keen and still have soft tissue damage from fall on stairs so calming it all down!! It's hard to get the balance right but my body tells me!!
Have done two short drives in the car which were fine but not massively comfortable so will not he doing much driving. Nice to be able to do a quick drive to a friends house though. Shopping - no, not yet without help!!!
Have a great weekend!
Sam xx


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
P.S. Impressed you are off meds - I and still using nurofen and paracetemol and that keeps me really comfortable. Can't wait to be off it all though!!
X


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
Spoke too soon yesterday about the meds. Didn't take anything ( other than the wine haha! ) but woke at 3 with really throbbing pain in hip, so had to take the Paracetamol after all... nights are always the worst but I had thought I could get away without it, but maybe a little too soon.

The 3.5 hr drive to Cornwall sounds tough, but there is still a month or so for you to improve. The drive to Anglesey for us is under 2 hrs but not relishing that either. I guess it also depends how long you will be able to spend there ? Sounds very appealing though!

Got a Waitrose delivery due shortly. Can't believe I had never sampled the delights of internet supermarket shopping before the last few weeks. One of the many benefits of this experience!!

Enjoy your day,
Diane xx
 
Ouch, yes my OS said don't give up the night dose until 6 wk check up even if stop all the others as that's when it can still hurt and then hard to get on top of it. How's your scar feeling?
I've been doing online Waitrose shops too, have never done before, it's great! And the lovely delivery man helped me put it all away!!
Raining here today, yuk. Putting off the walk until it dries up!!
Xx


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
My scar is still quite tender and a bit hard in places. Still got a few tiny scabs from the staples but it has all healed very well and colour has faded a lot already. Somebody on here recommended rubbing with E45 across the scar which I tried once to reduce the dryness but it stung a little so was obviously too soon. Has your's got any better yet? Xx
 
@Delphi don't rub anything on your scar. Let nature do its thing. Your scar will fade to a very thin line if left alone.
 
Glad for your progress, hoping for continued healing and grace for the struggles you may face.


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
Mine is still very sensitive especially when I've been exercising or end of day and can't wear anything tight on it. I do rub it and that does help after the initial pain. It's a little lumpy in places. I too have given up with E45 although was recommended by surgeon and physio. It just stings too much. Am going to wait for creams until a bit further down the line!! X


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
Glad to hear recovery is progressing nicely Diane, I'm 4 weeks post op tomorrow and recovery Feels like it is getting a bit boring now! Xx


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
Good to hear from you Pony! I identify with the boring bit, but I am amazed at how quickly time seems to have passed since the op. It will probably start to drag now that I've said that! You sound as though you are progressing really well, just don't overdo it! It's difficult sometimes getting the balance right, isn't it? Once you start getting out and about, it's very tempting just to go that bit further. I'm just off out to see if I can make it to our local park. Getting there will be fine, it's just the coming back that may prove more troublesome!!
Diane xx
 
Hi guys,hope all is well with you.

4 wk update - well, completely overdid it at the beginning of the week. Walked to the park and back, about 40 mins plus 15 mins looking at an art exhibition in the coach house there. I knew it was too much on the way back, but too late by then. Paid for it the next day and have been very restrained since. I lost my mum to cancer 2 years ago and have missed her so much through this whole experience. I had put a bench dedicated to her into the rose garden in the park and I really wanted to go there. On the way back, I could hear her saying to me ' How could you be so stupid?'!

Feeling very much like I'm living in a bubble at the moment. Everything is a bit flat and very samey. Don't know if this is a common problem, but loads of my hair is also coming out every time I brush it. My hair is blonde and fine at the best of times but I seem to be losing so much of it. In the grand scheme of things, I know it's trivial. When I think of the events of yesterday in London, none of this is important. Thoughts are very much with those touched by the atrocities.

Hopefully Spring will bring some sunshine to lift our spirits. I have lots of plans for a bit further down the line, but progress seems to have plateaued a bit this week. It's probably just a little bump in the road. I never expected to be running around at this stage so not sure why I feel so deflated. At least I have my little shadow, my lovely Burmese cat, snuggling in all the time. She's always affectionate, but doubly so at the moment.

Take care everyone. Look after yourselves,
Diane x
 

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom