THR Deep Breath Reporting for Recovery Duty

Status
Not open for further replies.
I agree with leg in that most of us overdo things in the the early days but the important thing is that you learn from it, listen to your body and scale back the activity for as long as you need to and this will pay dividends in the long run.Jacey gave me a good piece of advice which I will really try to stick to with this second hip, ' only do half that you think you can do ' I hope we all have a low pain and good healing day.It is actually sunny here today which is a nice change.Whats it like in Scotland @Legin
 
Tiz grand here. Sun shining and loch is like a mirror with the hills reflected. A cold edge but one that makes you want to breathe the air in.

Sent from my SM-A500FU using Tapatalk
 
Sounds beautiful just the day for a perfect walk.Did you get to see the Aurora borialis last night.I have seen some lovely pictures on the News from Scotland I have some friends who live near to Hadrians Wall in Northumberland and they had a great view it, really beautiful pictures.
 
Alas not this time I was too tired after work and silly foot. I have been to hexam and corebridge many times. Where are you at Kim

Sent from my SM-A500FU using Tapatalk
 
They are both nice places well situated in the Tyne Valley I live in County Durham about 7 miles west of Durham City.
 
@Legin What a small world I grew up in Sherburn Village only a few miles from Peterlee !
 
@DeepBreath How are you feeling this morning/afternoon ? Not sure which time zone you are in
 
I am smiling reading @Kim22 and @Legin 's posts. It's always fun to discover a 'small world' connection randomly online. :)
Thank you for the kind post, friends. @CricketHip, thank you for checking on me. :) It's just a fact of life right now that my other hip is going to hurt. It is doing the lion's share of work. This too shall pass. It's generally not too horrible, but yesterday was a grumpy day for me for some reason and that made dealing with the pain another shade of doable.
That's part of why I was quiet. I felt like I needed to deal with the grumpies and then let it pass.

Part of why I was so grumpy was because of PT guy. I will definitely not be working with him after I have my next THR and am seriously considering calling the case manager and asking her to not send him out any more this go around. We have six sessions left and after yesterday I'm not sure I want to be around him any more. Not sure if this is the grumpies talking or what. Give me your opinions, please.
He told me on Monday that he would be switching me to be his last visit from now on. It seems that he has another client who lives just across the road from me and he himself lives just a couple of blocks away. This made sense in the grand scheme of things.
Because of this, I was expecting him anywhere from 2:00 to 4:00 yesterday afternoon. I had gotten up with my son at 5:45, enjoyed his company until he left for the bus at 6:30, then went into the kitchen and did my standing exercises and washed the few dishes that were in the sink. I then did my morning hygiene routine and decided to lay down and rest. It was about 7:15 at this point.
A little bit after 9:00 the doorbell rang, but I just let it go. I wasn't expecting anyone and figured it was UPS or FedEx, as they generally ring the bell to alert me that there is a package on the front stoop.
Fast forward to 1:45 when the bell rings again. It's PT guy. I answer the door and his greeting is, "Oh, you're up...good." I thought this was an odd thing to say and said somewhat hesitantly, "Yeeesss...?" He said, "I came by at this morning, but nobody answered." I said, "Oh, was that you? No, I wasn't expecting you until this afternoon per your comment on Monday." He gives me this raised eyebrow, 'caught the kid with his hand in the cookie jar' look and just shook his head.
To my great irritation with myself, I hear myself actually trying to defend my being in bed. I just stopped talking suddenly and we went on with the session.
The sessions themselves aren't bad. He doesn't push me, just has me run through my very reasonable exercise routine and he gives me tips and sometimes gives me other exercise ideas.
I think he is frustrated because he seems to have a 'Goal Checklist' he keeps referring to in his paperwork. The thing is, and he mentioned this yesterday, is that I won't even be fully weight bearing until after my allotted PT allowance is done. I think this puts a serious dent in his company mandated goal requirements.
I can do the rudimentary things; observing toe touch, the general exercises, getting up from the bed and chair with ease, going up and down stairs pretty well, but as far as forward movement in the overall, it just isn't the time yet.
I'm feeling frustrated with being a name on a list that isn't able to be satisfactorily checked off.
I am seriously annoyed with him seemingly appointing himself my 'lifestyle coach' and pulling the 'Are you up yet?' thing. He has my phone number. He has used it a couple of times before for slight changes to our schedule. If he really needed to change our time he could have called. Yesterday's stunt was clearly just him wanting me to know that he knew I was laying down when he doesn't think I should be.
I'm 48 years old. I'm pretty sure I should be able to govern myself by this point. It's his job to give me exercises to do to help me recover, see that I can do them properly, and check in three times a week to see if I am doing this. I do all of that. I go through the exercises I am able to do 3 times a day, along with doing extremely light housework. I feel like I'm right on par with where I should be at this stage of the game. Am I as active as I'd like to be? No. But there is the matter of a healing cracked femur and my other hip being in pain to deal with. It's a step-by-step process and if I can understand and adapt, why can't he?

Okay, that was just a really long rant and if you've gotten this far: KUDOS. Sorry for unloading. I don't like confrontation and I know that I must confront him about his behavior and that makes me cranky. The little girl part of me is saying, "I'm dealing with enough...I don't need to deal with guy's issues as well", but I know I need to pull up my big girl underpants and do just that.

Anyway, today is a better day and I feel better for having typed that out.
Thank you, hippie friends...for your kindness, your patience, and your always spot on advice. :flwrysmile:
 
Last edited by a moderator:
@DeepBreath I'm sorry to hear that your PT is adding to your healing woes and not helping alleviate them. I have a question for you, I am not doing PT now, my surgery was just after yours. I do have a prescription for PT, 6 weeks, 3X/week but there was nothing about when I should start this. I decided, on my own, that there was no reason to have a friend spend time driving be back and forth (I don't have in-home PT available) so that someone could watch me to the very beginner exercises I have been given. I decided to wait until I am able to drive and then benefit from focusing on the specific goals that are important for me to get back to showing my dogs. Do you have the option of just letting him go for now and then picking up when you need/want help? Seeing you so distraught over something that should be helpful is disappointing to me, especially as you have the added issue of your femur. My OS gives one the option of PT but it isn't mandated. I did have anterior approach so I do not have any restrictions, perhaps that is the reason? I don't know as a friend 3 months a head of me with anterior also (different OS) had home PT. I would be just as frustrated as you if I felt like I was a 'goal check list' and not a person. We are all here for you no matter what you decide to do. Your healing sounds right on schedule despite you ogres attitude.
Happy, healing vibes coming your way from sunny California. :flwrysmile:
 
Sorry you are not pleased with
PT guy. I requested the same lady for outpatient PT starting Monday that I had last time. It makes a big difference being comfortable with PT. Sorry you had a rough day yesterday. I could not fall asleep last night and it was getting to me. I got up and had a hot chocolate. Snuggled back in and slept for 5 hours. Our worst days are behind us
 
Hiya deep yup tiz a small world, just think Kim may HV seen me and with hair.
Don't ever worry abt letting off steam. P t guy is out of order he can't slot you into his plan for your recovery. I would request a different person as you don't HV to put up with his rudeness and uncaring manner.

Sent from my SM-A500FU using Tapatalk
 
@Doodles51, I'm sorry to hear about the sleeplessness, but the hot chocolate and then 5 hours of rest sounds wonderful. I like your statement that the worst days are behind us.
I really have no reason to grouse. Just one of those moods. :wink:
@Plum Perfect, yes, I think the PT idea you have in mind is the best. I do think that trying to do more than just the basics right now is a waste. Ideally, I would like to be weight bearing and get used to that for a week or two and then start in on PT.
 
LOL, @Legin, wouldn't that be something if she'd seen you?
I agree. I should probably call the company and see what can be arranged.
 
@DeepBreath I think the plan suggested by plum perfect is a good one as PT will be more beneficial to you when you are feeling stronger and your fracture has healed.You can do a few basic exercises on your own right now if and only if you feel like it.What a rude person with a bad attitude and having contact with him will not be therapeutic to your recovery.I don't blame you for being annoyed as you have enough to deal with at the moment.
@Legin I remember going to a disco at The Norseman on a Thursday evening but that was a long time ago lol
 
Had my eighteenth in the silver dollar

Legin THR Sep 14
 
@DeepBreath
Glad to hear you made it home! These surgeries are not with out challenges. Nor the faint of heart. You did it and homebound with BM to boot. LOL.
Have a great night.:ice::thumb:
 
I am late to this meeting!! How did i miss t?? Deep.. hon. get rid of him. All you have to say is that you aren't a good fit. Let his smirking, bullying self go work with somebody else!
I have ten small exercises to do and none of them involve any weight bearing exercises. Of course you are limited and of course you need to sleep! I am 2 and half weeks out and still enjoyed a deep sleep for almost 2 hours today. It was absolute heaven.
And guess what? I plan to continue taking naps for as long as I need them. My nap followed getting lunch ready for me and the hubby and then he and I walked around a full block with my one cane! We were stopped by several neighbors wanting to check on my progress so it was a long outing.
God help that PT guy or anyone else who would smirk at my napping.. I don't have time for that nonsense!
Of course you have a bit of the grumpies, you are right on schedule, love. Mine was last Sunday and Monday, I believe. Very transient but still. the grumpies. But hey, guess what? You get rid of that guy and poof! the sunshine will bring you a huge rainbow! You've got this!
I think you are a very bright and articulate woman. With a cracked femur. You are doing a lot already and never, ever whine or complain... I think you are great.
Better yet, call him at 4 am and question why he's in bed then fire him Or! Stay in bed, with messy bed head hair and ratty jammies and bunny slippers.. meet him at the door and yawn hard, right in his face and say, nope, not today.. I'm done. hahahaha
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Had my eighteenth in the silver dollar

Legin THR Sep 14
Hi @Legin By that time I was doing my midwifery training down south.We moved back up here in 1988.It sounds like you live in a very picturesque part of the UK.How is your unoperated hip these days and by having it done do you think it may help your other leg ?
 
@DeepBreath and @CricketHip Naps are so important to cope with the post surgical energy and help us heal.My physio stressed the importance of having a lie down with my hip elevated every afternoon for at least one hour but like @CricketHip I usually end up there for almost 2 hours We need to listen to our healing bodies and take those naps when we need them.I only have 3 exercises to do and I was told that's all I need as well as short walks
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom