THR Deep Breath Reporting for Recovery Duty

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi Deep!! You are progressing well! Just wanted to stop by and let you know I was thinking about you.
Is tomorrow your follow up appt with your surgeon?
Sleep well/heal well!!
 
Sounds like you have the right path now. I take tramadol for normal pain, depending what you call normal but it also helps with nerve pain. I chortled at laundry routine. When the girls were here I just got groans when I presented clean clothes to be put away. Give me cooking any day.

Legin THR Sep 14
 
@DeepBreath a bit late I know, but I used chart #2 from Jospehine's post. It worked very nicely for me through the recovery cycle. I know I've posted a bit about withdrawal symptoms affecting me in relation to the tramadol, but even with that I wouldn't have changed anything on the pain relief front.

Ref the itching tape, not sure if it's of any use to you but my ex-wife used to get horrible skin irritation from lots of different tapes until we switched over to using Mepore dressings. No idea on the actual difference but it worked nicely.

Another thought for the walker, grab a pair of padded weightlifting gloves; lots of stylish colour schemes and designed to protect the hands at the same time. The best thing is you can always use them in the gym once your recovery progresses to that point.

Have a great recovery day
 
@DeepBreath glad to see that you have a pain regime that works for you now.I have a lot of arthritis in both hands I remember them getting very sore last time but once my OT swapped my walking stick handles for the palm grip type I never looked back.It looks like you are using a walker right now but it's just a thought for when you change to sticks.
 
@CricketHip, thank you for the good thoughts. :) Yes, I had my first post op appointment with my surgeon and it went well. My incision is looking good and he is pleased with the increased ROM I'm showing. I will be on toe touch weight bearing restriction for two more weeks and will then go back for x-rays to see how the fracture is healing. He says I can sleep on my op side with two pillows between my legs. I honestly can't even imagine this right now. My incision isn't very painful, but I am very aware of it and the 'ridge' feel of it.
He took a good look at how my rash is resolving with the peeling of the skin on my hands and is very determined to get to the bottom of it. He wants definite answers before proceding with my next THR. I told him I'm willing to travel to the hospital as much as necessary and work with whomever, e.g. Dermatology, the anesthesiologist, etc to find the answers we need. Surely I am not the only patient this has ever happened to.

@Legin and @AndyH99, I am loving the Tramadol. Great pain relief and no side effects so far. Josephine's charts really helped me with my daily med planning. Legin, I gotta give props to those who love to cook because I love to eat! :)
Andy, great tip about the weightlifting gloves. My hands are a bit sensitive with the skin peeling and all, but I need my walker to get around. I'm definitely going to invest in a couple pairs of those.

@Kim22, thank you for the tip on the palm grip for when I transition to a walking stick. It is amazing how a simple adjustment to something can make all the difference.

I thought it was interesting today and underscored the wisdom to be found here on this site. When talking to my surgeon, I asked him what his expectation was at this stage of recovery and he basically echoed what we learn here: rest, elevate, ice, and movement as tolerated. He said by all means to get up and do things as needed and desired, but to be aware of what my body is telling me. I asked him about physical therapy and he said he sees nothing wrong with simple stretching exercises, but within reason and boundaries of comfort. He said to me, "What your hip needs to heal, is walking mainly, and when you are able to weight bear then you'll be off to the races." He mentioned a couple of exercises that he definitely does not want me doing until the femur fracture is totally healed, specifically straight upward leg lifts when lying down.
So, the physical therapist comes over today and one of the exercises he suggests is...the straight upward leg lift. I told him, "Nope...by doctor's orders". Luckily, he seems like a fairly reasonable fellow and instead just took me through a few more simple exercises that were not painful and did not contraindicate my surgeon's recommendations.
The funny part was that when he came over (earlier than the scheduled time) he caught me napping and icing after taking my Tramadol and Tylenol. A night of fitful sleep, an early morning, an hour car ride each way to and from the hospital had left me drained. He admonished me, saying that while he understood all of that, I should not be in bed at 1:30 in the afternoon and that it takes such a short time to become weakened by being in bed.
I acknowledged the truth in that and assured him that I am doing the 'homework' exercises exactly as prescribed by him and his colleague, but that I was also going to listen to my body, which was telling me that it needed rest, medicine, and ice. Nice fellow, but I can definitely see where you have to be diligent in advocating for yourself when it comes to some physical therapist's expectations.

All in all, a good day though. On we go with recovery! I am sending good wishes for all my hippie buddies on their own recovery journeys. :flwrysmile:
 
Good to hear from you today @DeepBreath I am particularly interested to hear about your PT, he would probably really yell at me. I alternate between being up and being in bed with ice. I have the 'ridge' which you speak of and I completely agree that our bodies need time to heal and that means rest. I am confident, based upon my daily improvement, that we are doing to right things for us. I wonder how may PT's have ever watched a video of the surgery we underwent? I am certain that if they had any idea of the trauma we had they would be coming from a different place.
I'm glad your rash is subsiding and they are working to get to the bottom of it, otherwise your recovery sounds smooth especially with the added restrictions you have. I'm so happy to hear it was a good day for you, continue your speedy recovery and cheerful reports.:dogwalk:
 
@Plum Perfect, we sound exactly the same as far as the alternating between being up and being in bed with ice. I honestly don't share my daily 'doings' with my PT as I figure he would say :no-fin:
I get up, do a circuit of walking my downstairs, stop in the kitchen and do my stretching exercises, and then head to the living room where I sit in my armchair for a bit. When I feel myself waning I get up and do the circuit in reverse and end up back in bed with my leg elevated and a fresh ice pack on it. If I fall asleep, that's all good too.
Great question about whether or not my PT has seen a video of the actual surgery. I know he hasn't had a joint replacement surgery because we discussed that the first time we met. I'm willing to bet his take would be a bit different if he could feel, first hand, the effects of the trauma this surgery puts your body through. :wink:
 
Hello @DeepBreath !
Good for you for standing your ground with your PT person.. I am shaking my head and muttering to myself over that one.. I just don't understand how so many of them have lost sight of their role in post surgical healing!!
I agee with @AndyH99 about the weight lifting gloves and can even suggest an even better solution. I did a lot of weight lifting in my day.. I was a real exercise freak. A couple of us gals discovered that biking gloves were a bit more padded and comfortable. Just for what it's worth. Soft and less pinchy.
I talked to my OS office just this afternoon and the PA was stressing to me again that when I feel that I need to rest and ice, to just do it. listen to your body seems to be the best advice for us right now.
 
Well done for being so assertive with the PT whose advice was way off the mark.At least your surgeon sounds wonderful and I love his remark regarding you being able to be off to the races once you are weight bearing.Slow and steady at this stage and rest is sooooo important for healing.
 
How dare he scold you for resting, when your body obviously needed it. And, good for you for speaking your mind. He, apparently, doesn't have a clue what your body has just gone through. I hope your next visit with him is much more pleasant. My Home PT guy said he and the rest of the PT's in his practice were all required to watch a live video of the surgery. That way they could learn all about the restrictions required, as well as having an enormous amount of empathy for their patients. It sure worked for him.
You are doing great with what you have accomplished so soon after your complicated surgery. Keep it up, my friend. And, I hope you get some resolution with your dermatologist, soon, so you can proceed with your next surgery. Have a wonderful day and enjoy the sunshine that has finally decided to appear!
 
Day 11?? You are doing so well!! I plan on sitting outside in the wonderful sunshine. I hope you are able to do so, too.
 
@Legin, yes, food goes a long way towards a lady's heart. :)
@Nana757, and @Kim22, thank you for the kind words and encouragement! I was pretty proud of myself when I stood my ground with Mr. PT. I respect what he does but agree that he lacks empathy.
@CricketHip, and Nana, isn't it glorious out? Perfect, gentle Fall weather. I am enjoying it. :)

Today is hubby's first day back at work. He only went in half a day and made sure I had a fresh ice pack and that all meds had been taken. I have to say, he's been a champ. There were a few hiccups, but all in all he has been so good to me and very patient. I am glad I laid in that stock of freezer meals. They have made life a lot easier. I underestimated how many meals each pan would make, so we do have leftovers for days off of one pan. :) There's still a bunch in the freezer and that suits us just fine.

Well, I am going to go do my standing exercises. Take care, hippie buddies, and enjoy your day! :flwrysmile:
 
@Deep Breath you sound great, everything has been smooth including your recovery. Good that you were able to stand up to your PT, they don't seem to have a clue about recovery ... Happy your hubby has taken such good care of you and glad you have sunshine today. Enjoy your evening and feel the happy, healing vibes I'm sending your way.
 
Thank you, @Plum Perfect. :) I hope you had a good day. I was reading your response to Kim22 about the lack of rain and your trees. I am so sorry you all are dealing with that.
I am sending good vibes back your way! :flwrysmile:
 
It so is Deep good job kitchen is.my domain. Your hubber sounds a real champ, well done that man. I try to ensure I thank the poor wifff often. Well as she has said no wonder she is grey with me around.

Legin THR Sep 14
 
Hi @DeepBreath I'm guessing that you are enjoying the same beautiful fall weather that we are having here?
How's it going now that your husband is back to work? I was alone all day yesterday and ended overdoing it a bit. Nothing some ice and a good night's sleep couldn't fix but shows me I have a ways to go yet.
:running:
 
@Legin, yes, we must show gratitude to our spouses. :)
@CricketHip, I did the same thing today. My non op hip is hurting pretty badly today from toting my toe touch leg around.
Been taking it easy and icing this evening.
I hope you're feeling better.
Tomorrow is another day. :flwrysmile:
 
Oh no, Deep. I was worried about that but didn't dare ask in fear of jinxing it. Please take it easy and enjoy the ice. :ice:
 
I'm sure both of you will be fine and sorry to say it but I'm pretty sure it won't be the first time you both over do it in your recovery journey, as long as you do the resting the next day.
Oh and Deep I do try to appreciate the wifffff but also all. Its funny when in the past I would openly thank colleagues many aren't used to it which is such a sad thing.

Legin THR Sep 14
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom