Guest viewing is limited

THR dede's shiny new bionic hip is installed

Status
Not open for further replies.
Mmmmmm dinner was so good - turkey roast, homemade sage stuffing, french green beans, and pumpkin delight. Full but not stuffed. Lots for leftovers. Hubby didn't care that we didn't have mashed potatoes or gravy. Go figure. Don't know if I could get away with that in the.future. Don't know that I'll have a better excuse than a hip replacement!

Hope everyone had an awesome turkey day!
 
Sounds yummy Dede.. Glad you had a Happy Thanksgiving :)
 
Dede, glad you had a delicious dinner. It sounded yummy. This year, we had all the traditional dishes however, I took on a very different role. I was the official supervisor. I gave instructions to the girls and they cooked the whole meal. I provided technical assistance only. I talked them through some of the dishes and their preparation. Then, after dinner, I retired to the living room and put my feet up while they cleaned the kitchen and put away all the left overs. Dinner was absolutely to-die-for! I enjoyed my new role and am wondering what I can do next year to get the same job as I am no where near as tired as I usually am after cooking all day.....instead, I got to sit around, watch football on the tv and enjoy and adult beverage or three while someone else did all the work. Now that's the life.:martini:

So how does it feel to have access to the whole house again? I bet it seems like there were places in your house you hadn't seen in forever. Your husband sounds like a prince. I hope your Aunt Flo has behaved herself and not given you too much trouble. I have worried about this.

All the best my friend.

Tammy
 
It has been nice to see the downstairs but I definitely feel more comfortable upstairs for some reason.

The cooking lesson was only half a lesson. Somebody was more focussed on the football game so I had him get things out and have them handy as I did the dessert. Wore me out a little but it made it to the oven and tasted wonderful (even a little warm) after dinner. Hubby got his lesson with the turkey roast (fewer steps but messier). It turned out so juicy and tender. Love those oven bags!

Got two home visits today. Nurse should be here shortly and PT isn't until 4:30. We'll see how the bloodwork comes back. Aunt Flo has been on her best behavior. Probably shouldn't have worried so much...
 
Post Op Day 12

Nurse stopped by yesterday. Blood numbers are up from Tues so they readjusted the coumadin again. Probably came up too quickly so they've backed the dose down for a day and then back up for two. All else is good. Swelling on incision is down and virtually no bruising left. She thought it might drift down my leg but it didn't.

Spent the afternoon/evening downstairs and we watched a couple of movies on OnDemand. Hubby fell asleep during the first one and we both stayed awake for the second - which is highly unusual for me. I'm usually th one that konks out first.

PT got behind yesterday so he came by this morning. Did the basic exercises, walked downstairs with the crutch then did the two standing exercises plus three more. He's very pleased with the progress and we'll focus on transitioning to the cane next week. He's been so busy that he'll probably send a PT assistant to work with me since things are going so well. The new exercises are going to give me more confidence putting full weight on the leg. He said I'm at the point where the muscles are still working protectively and we'll get them retrained for function over the next week or so. Apparently they approved PT for 5 weeks 3 times a week instead of only 2 weeks. We'll do 3 times next week and probably only use two days the following week before thy discharge me from PT. It's all covered by insurance so we'll only use what we need. Gonna use some ice to make sure everything behaves.

We'll be heading out for refills a little later. I'll probably need a nap by then.
 
Dede, what an exciting update for you! I am so happy to hear that you are gaining confidence in your new hip. It sounds like you will be up and running very soon. Yippee!!!

Funny, you've mentioned it before, about different orders from differnet doctors. I do not have to have my blood levels checked on the Lovenox injections and you do. I'm non wb, and you are. Go figure. I did not have any bruising at all whatsoever.

So what movies did you watch? Anything good?

Tammy
 
Running, no. Wasn't a runner before, don't think I'll take it up afterwards! :heehee: Will get back to my quick walking pace though. Hubby's always trying to get me to slow down anywhere we walk together. Have already talked with some co-workers about walking at lunchtime at a nearby park. Luckily we get an hour for lunch so we can get a good long walk in.

Couldn't have picked two diverse movies: Brave and Savages. I was up for light hearted but hubby wanted some action. I vetoed any of the crazy thrillers. Normally wouldn't have minded but it's still harder to keep comfortable for that long. Also enjoyed some yummy leftovers. Looks like I didn't make enough stuffing so I'll make some more tonight.
 
Stuffing goes pretty fast at my house too. I always make sure to buy and make extra. Today I had a turkey sandwich on some homemade bread. I put some stuffing and jellied cranberry on it and then put some gravy on it. It was delish!

Love those movie choices! I love action/adventure movies.
 
Mmm that sandwich sounds so good! I'll be ready to nosh after we het back from our excursion.
 
Man it was nice to get outside! Even had a little rare fall sunshine. Never felt cooped up but it was nice to get that fresh air.
 
There's something to be said about getting outside and enjoying some fresh air isn't there. Glad your trip was not too exhausting for you. Did you get to nosh on some yummy leftovers?
 
Yup. Had some roast turkey sandwich but without the fixins. Just some yummy champaigne mustard on good wheat bread. Definitely hit the spot. Also had a small piece of dessert. :angel:
 
Dede, what are 'fixins' ?
 
Poppet

Fixins are all the extras like stuffing, cranberry sauce, gravy, sweet potatoes, etc that can be added to the turkey to get the multitude of flavors in any one bite. Fixins can vary based on the base food (i.e.hot dogs, hamburgers, chicken breasts, etc.) and then the condiments and lettuce, tomatoes, relish, sauerkraut, chili, cheese or what ever favorites are desired. Sometimes fixins have a tendency to be regional or familial.
 
Haha!

All the No, no's' on my current diet... however, I have lost 3kg / 6.613 pounds in 14 days... So got to be happy with that!
 
Dede, that has to be one of the best explanations of what 'fixins are that I have ever heard.

Poppet, Wa-Hoo!!!! Great job on dieting during what has to be the hardest time of the year.
 
Congrats Poppet on the eating plan. I've been losing the same 6 lbs since July. Once I get fully mobile I'll be able to tackle the last 50 that I've been trying to work on the last two years. It will happen.

Tammy, easy to explain since food is one of my favorite sports!

Beth, thanks and yes we've got lots to be thankful for: new cyber/warrior friends that 'get us', brand new shiny hips and the great docs that take care of us, family and friends that help us through to find our regained independence. Hubby told me this morning as much as he is looking forward to me healing soon that he'll miss the extra time we've had together getting to the other side.
 
Excellent progress report! My bruising didn't drift down my leg either...probably because I kept it elevated so much.
 
Oh Dede, how sweet your husband sounds. Too much togetherness oftentimes leads to getting on one another's nerves. Sounds like he is "smitten" with his lady love.

Did you do anything fun today?
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom