TKR Debby's new knee

Fresh fruit and food with lots of flavour are appealing currently.


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
Oops! iPhone [emoji336] at it again.
Any way if you have a small cooler near resting place could. You have hubby pack it ahead of time with small pieces of fruit or serving of fruit salad?


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
Stupid phone autocorrects me constantly lol

I try and get things ready the night before and put it next to the bed, as he isn't the best in the mornings (slow). That's a good idea though. I could put everything in a cooler bag and he could put a freeze block in there and give to me when he leaves for work when he fills my ice cuff.

He goes away in 7 days to Vegas for work, so I'm moving to my parents for 10 days. I won't be alone there, which will be great. And hopefully when he gets back I'll be more stable on the feet.

Yoghurt and banana I've found easy, as well as mashing a banana into bread.... easy to carry [emoji16]


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
As long as I was on pain meds, my appetite suffered. It's good that you're eating healthy things! Being alone is fine. Many of us had nobody around to help us and we did OK. You will, too.
 
@debbyS How are you doing? I hope you are feeling organized for next week. Don't forget we are here when you have spent hours alone and are ready to scream :) My son in law is going back to work on Monday as well, so I will be home alone at least 8 - 9 hours a day. I think I can take care of myself okay, but the days get very long when you are alone. Anyway, just a reminder to reach out.
 
You'll fine you're going to be just fine alone. You'll probably sleep a lot, which is great for your knee!
 
But don't forget to set a timer or phone for your med schedule. You don't want to wake up in pain.
 
@sandi4213, Thanks for asking. I think I am feeling fairly organized. I have the basics down. We hired a dog sitter . I have reminders set on my phone and iPad for PT and meds. Hubby got me a basket for my walker and it is making life easier




Sent from my iPad using BoneSmart Forum
 
debbyS - best of luck to you and your new knee!

I had my LTKR early Feb 2017 so I'm a little ahead of you. I was lucky enough to borrow an Ice Machine from my aunt and it worked wonders for me. I would leave my knee wrapped and plugged-in most of the day and night to help relieve the pain and swelling. If you can get/borrow one, you might like it. I'm not endorsing the brand or anything, just saying I found it quite helpful. Also, I used a plastic tupperware filled with regular cold tap water from kitchen faucet and froze that in my kitchen freezer. With a little finagling, it comes out in one hunk like a mini iceberg. Free ice!

[Bonesmart.org] Debby's new knee
 
@ltkr001, thank you! I did invest in an ice machine and love it - not as heavy as the ice pack that I was sent home from the hospital with. I have 2 more surgeries ahead of me so it seemed liked an investment. I have a Ossur cold rush and have been happy with it. Like your Tupperware idea.


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
Frozen plastic water bottles work well in the cooler part, too. They last a long time. So much better than ice cubes.
 
Hey @debbyS haven't heard from you for a while. but I wanted to wish you a happy 1 month kneeiversary! We survived the first month! Now on to a fantastic 2nd month.
 
Thank you Sandy. For the well wishes. Yes we did survive! Knee is doing well, minimal swelling and very little pain if any.
I transitioned from a walker to a cane last week. A little trick it first but now use it @ 90


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
Oops darn iPhone.
I am working on my walking. ROM is improving, just not as fast as I would like. At least it is going in the right direction.


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
Before this experience, I never realized how good the words "minimal swelling" were :) I'm really glad you are doing well. Sometimes my walking is great, and some days I think I will never walk normally again. 2 steps forward, 1 step back......
 
You are so right. It might be slower than you want, but it is going in the right direction. That's what counts. Keep up the good recovery.
 
Don't worry, walking will come. At just a month walking and ROM will come. Try to follow the activity progression chart to help balance your activity.
 
Hi @debbyS . I hope things are going well for you. Are you getting along okay with the cane? I felt a lot of freedom when I went from the walker to the cane. I hope that is true for you, too.
 
Hi @sandi4213 ! I am using my cane almost exclusively, with the exception of nighttime and when I need to carry something ( the walker has a basket). You are right is much easier to move around with a cane than a walker. I have even tried talking a few steps with out it but only if there is something to grab onto like in the kitchen.

For the most part the knee feels great. I can bend and pick something up without pain. It is the little things in life!

I see my OS next Tues.


Sent from my iPad using BoneSmart Forum
 

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom