Guest viewing is limited

TKR Dearjr's new knee

Yes, still swelling! Thankfully, it has subsided since I stopped PT on Thurs. Yesterday, I only iced after going to the gym! I'm hopeful this is a good sign!
 
Maybe I ice too much. I gues for the placebo effect!

Maybe I'll cut down to after exercise and once at night

At least all this icing has given me a lot of tv time
 
I'm just over 3 months out. I've hit some bumps along the waY but I'm definitely on the mend. In the first month or so I iced as often and as long as the pack was cold. I always tried to keep my foot and knee above my hip. I still ice as much as possible. I found if I left the ice pack on after it was no longer cold that it actually became warm which could then make the swelling increase!! You're doing great!
 
Thanks
I have a kneecap question. When I move it to lateral side it makes a click when it hits something...can something be out of place. ??
 
I have the same sensation and sometimes even when walking. Before I had my surgery my doctor explained to me that it was normal. So unless you are having pain or you feel like something has changes I wouldn't worry.
 
@newlybionic I am going to the os next week. I hope I get the same answer
No pain just that sensation and clicking when I walk
 
I believe I understood my OS today to say it is a tendon that the rubs against the knee. Although, I'm sure someone else will have a much more technical explanation! Mine clicked while I was in his office!
 
My knee clicked when walking at first, then whenever I did something new it would click for a while. When I began swimming again at 7 months it started clicking when I flutter kicked and find it for a few weeks every time I swam.
 
These new knees that we have are much like a new toy that we had when we were younger.

For a while, all our attention is focused on this new spectacle, and we wonder about it and if it is working correctly---as it should.

Later on, when all of the gloss has long worn off, and the toy or the bike or the "whatever" is still working, we just take it for granted. We no longer notice the little issues.

The reason that we no longer notice it is that it is normal. Normal is good---normal is what we expect.

Your new knee or knees is much like this---we fuss over it (or them), we worry greatly about it or them, and we focus our attention on them---"Is everything OK?"

I can tell you that I am going eight years now, and I can go for days without thinking about the fact that my knees are 53 years younger than me. I can go for days without thinking about my knees, period.

That is because they are normal---they do what they are normally expected to do, and I just focus my attention on other more important things in my life---like what I am going to have for breakfast or how many miles will I ride---or do I need a haircut?

The idea is that we have focused our attention on our knees for so long---first, they were bad, now they are new----that we have to understand that normal is something that we crave---and normal means no worries.
 
Almost 14 weeks. Was feeling good. Now the tight band has reappeared along with clicking. No pain and
It seems I can flex it as before

Going to os next week for routine check. Any reason for an X-ray?
 
One has to understand that recovery from a TKR is not linear----there are times of regression. It looks more like a stock market report. You will have little glitches from time to time---even after they have gone away for a while.

They will dissipate in time---but this roller coaster ride can go on for a while.
 
@referee54 this is my first downhill on that coaster!

I was thinking an X-ray might show something out of place that is clicking
 
Recovery is not linear---it looks more like this:
[Bonesmart.org] Dearjr's new knee
Notice that, while the movement tends to go upward, there are times of plateaus and some regressions. Perplexing---but do not worry---and do not try to find a reason why for it. It is just the way your body goes through recovery.

I had to give up trying to figure out why my knees would move backward at times---I could not find a reason, and it was frustrating----but it all ended up well.
 

Staff online

  • Jamie
    Staff member since Feb, 2009
  • djklaugh
    Staff member since December 30, 2020

Members online

Back
Top Bottom