THR Day nine, graduated to crutch, staples gone

Status
Not open for further replies.
@grandma chris , it is soooo nice to be without that old bone on bone pain. I hope you'll keep us up to date on how your holiday is going.
 
@scubysteve I will for sure keep you posted! This trip was planned a LONG time ago, way before my hip started acting up as much as it did. In the end, we had to delay by a week because our first stop was a hilly, stairs filled sunny apartment in Gran Canaria - so sorry to miss that!! I just didn't feel it prudent to commit to that topography at the beginning of our trip, I will just be 6 weeks out. I don't anticipate doing a lot of running around on this holiday, so I expect I will spend some time on-line!
 
@grandma chris. You have a wonderful holiday.......gives me hope when I talk to people like you who had the surgery and are off for a holiday...Ahhhh nice....thank you. You have no idea how talking to you has helped me. Thank you grandma chris. :SUNsmile:
 
Okay - today is the three week anniversary of my new hip and this is what's happening. Still using a walker, but often using a cane. I found I really don't like a crutch much. Sometimes, I can stand with equal pressure on both legs and not feel pain/weakness in my operated butt. It's really not pain, just like a weakness. My physio said this is muscle ache and I continue to work on it. I am still sleeping a lot! I get a good night's sleep with the aid of a melatonin and one half of a zopiclone. Wake up feeling very refreshed around 7:30. take my meds, have breakfast, maybe clear the dishwasher or some other small chores, replace the ice in my ice pack etc elevate and ice for a while and then by about 9 or 9:30 I'm ready (really ready!) for a nap. I'll sleep then for about 1.5 or 2 hours. After lunch (which I prepare) it's shower time, maybe a walk around the apartment building and some moderate exercises. I don't usually nap in the afternoon but I do get quite weary just before suppertime. I usually end up with ice and elevation two or three times per day.
My incision is looking really good (well, that's subjective!). It's clean and dry and the scabbing is almost all off. I had most scabbing around the wound as a result of burn from sticky tape. As soon as that is all cleared up, I can go back to the pool for aqua therapy and I CANNOT wait for that!! My energy level is a lot better than it was and I still feel no pain. I am trying to transition to one T3 and one extra strength Tylenol. I'm quite tired of the codeine, it leaves me feeling a little fuzzy and constipates me. I have been able to manage that with the use of stool softeners and prune juice. TMI I know, but it's all part of it!
I have been fortunate that my darling husband has been so very helpful! I had prepared some meals for the freezer and we have used a few but mostly he has been cooking lovely nourishing meals for us. I find I have almost a craving for protein. Guess that's muscle and tissue rebuilding itself.
Yesterday I watched a video of the surgery on you tube. I had thought it might be creepy but it was not! I remember waking up during the surgery and hearing a lot of hammering and feeling a lot of shoving of my leg and pelvis and what I felt was exactly what I saw in the video. That was quite fascinating and not at all creepy. So there we have it - a probably text book recovery - very boring - of a RTHR in a 65 year old woman. I am tired now of my self centered, very narrow outlook on life. I can sense that I will be starting to branch out soon and really looking forward to that. Thanks for all the support I've had from this site - it's an amazing thing. I'll answer any questions anyone has.
 
Great three week anniversary report... Sounds like you are right where you should be.... So pleased for you... Take care Chrissie xxx
 
@grandma chris . been following your recovery and it sounds like you're doing well. and with a vacation to look forward to, too. great motivation. hope things continue to go smoothly. and @chaseyboy . as far as changing your routine as a result of the surgery....and it's true (although it does have it's own momentum and it takes you with it)...I was thinking it's sort of like giving birth. your whole life is turned upside down. and then about 6 weeks later things settle down and also you have a new baby. like a new hip.! it is so worth it !!
 
Okay, so it's 18 days until we leave for our trip to Europe. I NEED to be able to do better than a 20 minute walk through the halls of our apartment building! I've been counting on feeling much more energy after the three week mark, that's what I seem to read in the forum. So starting today, I will expand my walking - either by taking longer walks or more of them, probably start with more of them. Of course, I will continue to rest, elevate, and ice - don't want any setbacks. But I do want to go on that trip so I need to get ready.
 
So, I've transitioned to one T3 and one extra strength Tylenol and that is working for me. Yay!! And today, I had my first outing since coming home from the hospital. We drove about five minutes to our local Tim Horton's coffee shop. There I indulged in some really good coffee and little donut holes - yum! We have a Ford Escape and getting in and out of the car was easy - the seat is higher off the ground. I didn't have to back in to the car, I was able to put my left leg in the car and push off with my cane to get my operated leg in. I'm really glad I worked on those muscles before surgery. I tired pretty quickly and am now elevated and icing. I plan on some big outings soon, so I better do this again!
 
@grandma chris You are doing so well in your recovery.
So great you have a positive goal: your big trip.
What a great thing to look forward to....
Happy you got to go to Tim Horton's. sounds yummy
 
So today was the best day I've had yet since my surgery. The apartment building we live in has a weekly breakfast for residents on Tuesday mornings. The men sit at the men's tables and the women with the women - very old fashioned that way. It's a great way to get to know your neighbours and I have to say this is probably the best place we've lived in. Anyway, I went to breakfast this morning and one of our neighbours asked for some help setting up their PVR. I went and it was quite complex and of course there was more required than the one machine and the upshot was that I was there for about 1.5 hours. When I got back to my place, I was exhilarated! How wonderful to be able to be up, useful, and with it for that long. I had a 45 minute nap later in the afternoon but that's all the time I spent in bed today. Walking was much easier and I was not exhausted as I've been. I'm very encouraged that I will be okay for our holiday - we leave in two weeks.
 
[Bonesmart.org] Day nine, graduated to crutch, staples gone
You are definitely on your way @grandma chris! These unexpected milestones just make the whole ordeal worth it in every way! Hope your holiday is a great success, too!

Take care and keep us posted. We care.
 
Another big step today! The physiotherapist came for a home visit and gave me the go ahead for going into the pool!! Yayyy! I plan on going tomorrow morning. She said I was doing very well with lots of strength except for my adductors (my OS does not permit side leg lift stuff until after 6 weeks). She said I had a 't'something gait as a result of those weak muscles but that with exercise they should strengthen soon. I'm very encouraged and believe we'll be able to have a lovely holiday.
 
@grandma chris Hope you have fun on your holiday!! You are going to have to give a detailed account of it!! Looking forward to hearing how it went!!
 
Wahoo... @grandma chris you are well on the road to recovery and about to go on a wonderful holiday. I have a colleague who undertook a 9 week o/s very active holiday to Europe around the same time as you in recovery. She sent me wonderful photos of her walking up stairs having a great time - as you will I am sure.. :)
 
I went into the pool today - YAYYYYYY!!!!!!!!! I got the all clear from my physio yesterday and my DH drove me to our local pool today. It felt so good to be in the water! I was very careful not to break my restrictions, but I was able to have such a better range of motion, I was even able to stand on my operated leg painlessly. I came home and iced and very, very tired this afternoon - had a nice nap! My plan is to go three times a week for an hour a time. I'm thinking this is where I will do my best healing. So happy :)
 
@grandma chris So glad you went to the pool today, can't wait to get my recumbent bike in the next few days. Wish I had access to a pool, that sounds heavenly!! Slow and steady,keep us posted!! You've got this!
 
So glad all going well for you @ grandma chris.....the hydrotherapy is heavenly and it help your gait.....enjoy your holiday!! Love Chrissie xx
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.
Back
Top Bottom