THR Day nine, graduated to crutch, staples gone

Status
Not open for further replies.
@Hoppy Nanny Thanks for the great weather! @miaow27 Thanks for the welcome! @mature mama Thanks for the good wishes! Today as we planned, we had quite a low key day. This morning we walked to the town centre which is only about 1 km away. I was quite exhausted by the time we got there, so we sat in Costa and had a nice coffee. Later we did a little shopping and then took a bus back to our hotel. Sadly, we took the wrong bus and ended up having to get out and walk back. By the time we got back to the hotel I was very tired, sore, and oh so cranky!! My darling husband actually put up with me :) I am a very lucky lady. Anyway, we came back to our hotel room and I had a TWO HOUR nap! I guess part of the tired, sore, cranky was jet lag and just plain tired. Anyway, I felt great after that. Today was my official six week date so I was able to start doing gluteus medius exercises, the clam, leg lifts, leg side lifts. I could swear the relief was almost immediate. It may be in my head, but I'll take it. We got ice from the lobby and I've iced on and off quite a lot. I believe tomorrow will be great. Our plan is to tube to Trafalgar Square and take in the free lunchtime concert at St Martin in the Fields. That is one of our favourite places in London. Hope you're all doing wonderfully.
 
You are inspiring!!! Yeah for 6 weeks ...still waiting on the call from my surgeon but feeling so much more normal myself! Keep posting about your trip, as I am living vicariously through your journey. : )
 
Much better day today! Slept well and used the bus and tube to go everywhere. Yesterday convinced me that I need to husband my resources carefully. Today we went to the London School of Economics (Mich Jagger studied here!) to have a cup of tea in the student caf and to hear a free lunchtime concert. It was great and we used the bus and tube to get back to our hotel. Today's nap was only 40 minutes :)
 
We finally made it to Trafalgar Square and St Martin's in the Fields today. Those of you close to London, do you know about lunch in the St Martin's Crypt Cafe? It must be one of the best kept secrets in London - great food, reasonable prices, beautiful environment! Took bus and the tube and negotiated quite a few stairs, up and down. Came back to our hotel and had an hour and a half nap :) Before this surgery, I NEVER napped in the daytime. I am clearly needing the extra sleep. I can't say that I have done too much yet. I do a lot sometimes but when I come back I ice and elevate and no ill effects the next day - I have to think I'm doing okay. At the bottom of my incision, there is a very small area that is pinker than the rest and warm to the touch. It is not in any way painful or weeping - the whole incision is dry. Do any of you have that? When I saw my OS last week, I told him about it. He didn't look at it but said if it was not weeping, it was fine. What do you think?
 
Glad you are enjoying London...some of my favourite haunts!! Sometimes I miss those quick afternoon naps....I had a spot on my incision that stayed much pinker than the rest and was a little hot and itchy for quite a while...but it's fine now and I think you are right not to be worried if it's not weeping. Enjoy the rest of your stay....weather set to be fine for the next few days. Take care..Chrissie xx
 
So quite a lot has happened since I last posted - at least, on our holiday. We moved into central London three nights ago and on Sunday took the Eurostar to Paris. The very fast train was interesting - set up more like a plane than a conventional train. No sensation of speed at all although we did travel very, very fast! Two hours and change to go from London, under the Channel, to Paris! As we arrived in Paris, they announced that all public transportation was free for the day. We later found out that this was to avoid a possible smog alert. That was important to me because we had planned on travelling on public transit. Well, you can hardly imagine how crowded the Paris metro is on a free Sunday! OMG!! I had to stand for quite a while, which normally would be scary but wasn't because it was that packed - I could not fall! We went to the Latin Quarter, walked around quite a bit and found a nice place to have lunch. Later we found a spot to sit and people watch outside of Notre Dame. This was the first time since my surgery that I felt really frustrated - there were so many things I wanted to see and do and there was no way I could - I just didn't have the energy! In the end, we walked to a park close by and did some serious people watching. Fortunately, the day was spectacularly beautiful. We had dinner close to the station and then took the train back to London. Friends, this was the first time since my surgery that I really felt like I had gone too far! That really was too much for one day and I would not do it again. I would go back and spend a couple of nights in Paris, but not right after THR. Too frustrating :) Now we're back in England, visiting family and resting. We will be going to Barcelona on Thursday and I will post again when we have good internet.
 
Phew I'm exhausted just reading about all that you've got up to.....jealous as well...love Paris and Barcelona .....especially Goudi's Segrada familia...and Las Ramblas in Barcelona......try not overdo it @grandma chris ...difficult when there is so much to see. Enjoy...Chrissie xxx
 
We're almost finished our visit to Barcelona. What a beautiful city! Sadly, I only have about three or four hours a day where I can comfortably sight-see. I am still using a cane although there is clearly improvement. I sometimes don't use the cane in our apartment but would not go out without it - I still have a significant limp most of the time. I can now stand on my operated leg without pain for about 5 seconds. A marked improvement over last week when it was a nano-second! We did the Hop On Hop Off bus for two days and that allowed me to see a lot of this gorgeous city. We walked part of La Rambla and had lunch in a nice little tapa place. Very lovely. We've rented an apartment so both days, we came back to it after four or five hours and I was able to have a nice long nap - 90 minutes worth!! You wouldn't think I'd sleep at night, yet I do! Tomorrow, we're off to Torremolinos and eight days in the sunshine. Not much planned there - maybe a trip to the Alhambra - I sense some time in a pool, I hope! I believe soaking in warm water will do me good.
 
Last edited by a moderator:
wow. sounds amazing. yup, things do start opening up don't they? keep enjoying.
 
Well, the warm pool was a pipe dream!! It is winter after all - the sunshine is amazing and I could lie around the pool in a bathing suit, but the pool water is COLD! We went on a tour to the Alhambra and that just about killed me - so much walking on uneven ground. But it was sooooo beautiful to see. Today is my second day off, a day with no sightseeing, just short walks along the beach or to the shops. I seem to have turned a corner today, walking with far more comfort and much faster. Hope it doesn't go away. I am almost at 2 months out and I really look forward to losing the cane. I still have a limp and it's not that comfortable walking without the cane yet. Getting there. I too remain optimistic and will let you know when (not if) I lose the cane!
 
It sounds beautiful @grandma chris .....you are doing well with all that walking....early days to ditch the cane if you are limping!! Well you've certainly 'done' Europe these last few weeks...I'm impressed you walked around the Alhambra ...that's not easy without the THR....enjoy the rest of your holiday....and the lovely sunshine....jealous...moi??? Chrissie xxxx
 
Sounds like a wonderful trip, despite the cold water! I would keep the cane for now ... it can't hurt!!
 
Hi everyone, here's my post trip report: If you didn’t know, I had a TRHR on 29 January. On 10 March, I left for an extended trip to Europe. Don’t ask – it’s a very long story! The trip went very well – better than I expected. We did a lot of walking, some of it through rough terrain including the Alhambra and Pompeii. We visited England, Spain, Italy, did a Mediterranean cruise which stopped in Greece and Turkey (Istanbul!!!) and Naples, back to Rome for a couple of days and then flew home. By the time we got home, both my husband and I had terrible colds that turned into lung infections. I had seen my OS the week before we left for my 6 week checkup – which was really only week 5. He prescribed some anti-coagulants for me to take for three days around each long haul trip. That, plus lots of walks on the long flights kept me safe. My new hip held up magnificently throughout the whole trip. We worked out that I had about 4-5 hours of sightseeing a day in me, so that’s what we did with the occasional day off. I tried to ice (I had brought my ice bag – ice is available in most hotels and on board a cruise ship) and elevate every day and I took between 2000 and 3500 mg of Tylenol every day along with one Celebrex daily. I used my cane every day and developed a sore hand from having it too high for a little while. I made use of the complimentary wheelchairs at the larger airports in Heathrow, Toronto, Vancouver, and even in Kelowna – they were a godsend as there is a lot of walking involved in those airports. Well, maybe not in Kelowna but by then we`d been flying for 24 hours! I am in a good place now. Still sleep with a pillow between my legs but that and the cane are about all. I can put my socks and shoes on by myself, stamina is pretty good (except for this stinking cold!), and I can touch the floor without bending my knees! There is still a very small spot of deeper pink at the very bottom of my incision but it has never hurt, oozed, or given me any trouble. The incision itself is no longer numb and if I press on it too hard it is a little sensitive. I still have a little marking from where I had an allergy to the tape, but it`s faded out considerably. I can walk comfortably without the cane but I still have a slight limp. As soon as this cold clears up, I`ll be back in the pool doing aqua therapy – that will fix me right up! Overall, I`d say the trip was a great incentive for me to get better and although I couldn`t do the same amount of sightseeing I would have liked to do, the pace was good. I saw some great sights, met some lovely people, and know where I want to go back to. Yes, I did set off most of the metal detectors that we encountered J
 
Wow, great trip! You saw some of my favorite places - wonderful that you were able to do that. Next time you'll be in even better shape!
 
What a great trip you had! You are doing terrific in recovery. All the best, continued!
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.
Back
Top Bottom