THR Day nine, graduated to crutch, staples gone

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back in the pool yesterday and today and a long walk through all the floors in our apartment building, including going down stairs. This morning, going into the shower after my aqua therapy, I hit the proverbial wall! All of a sudden I felt so very weak and shaky - I thought I might pass out! And I was alone! I had told my husband that I did really well the first couple of times so he could leave me at the pool and just pick me up after. I was almost very sorry about that! Anyway, I sat on the change bench for a while and gathered my resources and in the end was able to finish my shower, get dressed, and go out to meet my husband. I am now resting with ice! I won't go to the pool tomorrow - it's my appointment with the OS. I hope he waives my restrictions! I will be back in the pool Thursday and Friday - I HAVE TO be ready to fly Monday!
 
Hi GrandmaChris, I think that little episode was a warning to slow down a bit. I know you love the pool so maybe just water walk rather than doing a class? Hope you don't mind me saying that. I want you to be fit for your exciting trip! With very best wishes and hope tomorrow goes well
Gill

Sent from my GT-I8160 using Tapatalk 2
 
@miaow27 Gill, I think you're right and that I did push it a little. But I don't think I'm having any adverse effect from it. I've iced and rested and I seem to be okay now. I'll see how I feel tomorrow. I won't go to the pool tomorrow but I will on Thursday and if that's okay, I'll go again Friday. I think if I push myself further but not too far, I should be okay. I won't do anything stupid - way too much rides on a good recovery!
 
No ill effects today from my two days in the pool! Yay! I see my surgeon today for my 6 week checkup (although it's only 5 weeks - I'll be gone next week!) and I'm really hoping he'll release me from my restrictions. I have a wicked limp when I walk without a cane - well, it's not wicked anymore, it's getting better. I believe it's called the Trendelenburg gait and the best thing to do for it is the 'clam' exercise. I know that this exercise helped me a lot pre-op and I'm really eager to start it up again - I think that will get rid of this limp.
Has anyone else noticed that they are losing GOBS of hair? My hair is just above shoulder length, quite thick and fine. Since my surgery, I'm shedding like I can't believe - it's quite gross. Are you??
 
Just joined the group today but had the same surgery date as you. You sound like you are doing great. Hope your restrictions are lifted today and that you have a great trip!
 
Well, some restrictions were 'sort of' lifted! I believe my surgeon is ultra cautious and I'm very happy about that. I asked about the 90 degrees and the leg crossing over the middle and he said well okay, but be very careful. I asked about the 'clam' exercise and he told me to wait one more week, so the full six. We talked about my going overseas and he prescribed six anti-coagulant pills (I've finished my 30 day course). Three for day before, day off, day after - going and coming. I feel taken care of. I got a clean bill of health and a sunny prognosis. He expects me to make a full recovery. I'm a happy camper. I got a pic of my hip too.
 

Attachments

  • [Bonesmart.org] Day nine, graduated to crutch, staples gone
    hip1.jpg
    62.8 KB · Views: 163
Wow, You are doing great Chris I started my water exercises yesterday at the Gym slowly getting the strength back sure is a slow process! Well 3 more days before your trip, Have a wonderful time enjoy the food and scenery and stay healthy!
Cheers Heinz
 
@firstimer thanks for the good wishes. Yes, I totally love the water! I have pretty bad arthritis in my feet and some in my knees so water is great for me. I knew I'd do my best healing there and I have been. I went today for the last time before we leave - that's five times in eight days but never more than two days in a row. I feel like a million dollars now and last night I was able to stand on my op leg for a second or two without pain! I'm a long way from 30 seconds, but I can even walk without my cane and hardly a limp. So thrilled! I will try to post occasionally while we're on our holiday - I have high hopes!
 
@grandma chris, sounds like you are doing so well. I wanted to wish you Bon voyage! Have a wonderful time but remember to rest often. Take care of yourself...
 
@grandma chris Glad you have been enjoying the pool.
I love the pool, too!
Nice pic of your shiny new hip.
Have a very nice time on your trip!
 
Thanks for the good wishes everyone! I really do like this site - such a lot of support and lovely people. I will stay in touch while I'm away.
 
Just read your recovery from beginning to end. At one point you referred to it as boring. That makes me laugh because I think boring is good especially if you have a big trip planned. I was advised by my OS to use walking device until limp gone completely. I know I used a cane full time for at least 2 months and then started forgetting it. Have a wonderful time on your trip! Be good to yourself.
 
@grandma chris Sounds like you are doing very well. I hope you have a wonderful trip. Just don't overdo! I am still battling a bit of a limp, especially when I am tired or when I've just gotten up from sitting too long. But is IS coming along.

Peace and love to you
 
How silly I am sometimes! My OS prescribed six anti-coagulant pills for me, one for the day before the flight, one for the day of, and one for the day after - and again on the way home. Well, of course with anti-coagulants I cannot take Ibuprofen or Celebrex, so I'm down to only Tylenol. Feeling quite stiff today and not walking anything like as well as I have been. Well, I have lots of T3s left (Tylenol with codeine) from the surgery. Tomorrow and the day after, I will be taking one of those with a Tylenol. That should take care of any stiffness!
 
Here I am in London! The long flight was boring and uneventful - just how you want a flight to be. I had been advised by the nurses at the SOC to talk every hour for a few minutes so I did. The plane was huge - a Boeing 777 and every hour I walked all around it. Arriving in Heathrow (which if you don't know, is an enormous airport) I did ask for a wheelchair. I knew I would be walking some more later and I wanted to husband my resources. After leaving he airport and the comfort of the wheelchair, we took the Underground to our hotel. This involved a LOT of walking but no stairs. We had to transfer twice.- I think it must have been quite a site, me toddling along with my cane, pulling my roller case and carrying my foam cushion in an oversize pillow slip. At least the oversize slip gave me a way to carry it! Several nice people reminded me to take my cushion with me when I left the tube, or restaurant, or whatever - the world is populated by kind and helpful people, never let anyone tell you it is not! Something funky has happened to my keyboard and I can no longer use an apostrophe - this is what I get instead รจ. When we arrived at our hotel, I asked for a bucket of ice and clever me - I had brought my ice bag. I elevated and iced for a long time after we got to the hotel (do not forget, I had lost a nights sleep). I had a good night, managed seven solid hours so ready to take on the world today - but we will not! Taking it easy today and exploring our immediate neighbourhood. No apparant ill effects from our long day yesterday. I will not be posting such long reports every day - I just wanted to tell how the actual trip went. I have finished the anticoagulants now and can resume taking the Celebrex - I never did take the T3s.
 
Welcome to the UK @grandma chris....I have personally arranged the very best springtime weather for you!!!! Isn't it gorgeous.. Do hope you have a great time here but don't overdo it will you! Glad the flight went well.... Keep Us updated on your trip....I'm on the south coast and it's a beautiful sunny day... Hoping to get to 15 degrees! Yay ! Love Chrissie x
 
Welcome! Congratulations on surviving the tube. Have a lovely restful day :-)
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom