THR Day nine, graduated to crutch, staples gone

Status
Not open for further replies.
@grandma chris , It's good to hear you doing so well and being so positive, I had tenderness all the way down the leg to the ankle but it didn't come to my notice until a week or more post op, in fact the tenderness is still there it just takes a long time to come out. Not surprising really when I remember the sound of hammering and drilling from the op :)
Napping during the day is normal for me too.

Best wishes and healing thoughts, keep going one day at a time.
 
Another day where I spent a lot of time sleeping (healing!) and recovering. Did elevate and ice twice and went for two longish walks in our apartment hallways. Had a shower all by myself, like a big girl! Second week anniversary tomorrow - guess I can step up the activity a little then. I ran out of T3s today and had to call the surgeon's office where I was referred to my GP. She prescribed a small number of pills, enough for three days (four if I really stretch). In your experience, is this what I should expect - these small numbers of meds? That's all I'm taking for pain and one small pill for anti-coag. Oh well, I guess I'll just have to keep calling! Should I be starting to wean myself off meds after two weeks??
 
Hi @grandma chris ...it sounds like you are doing well. Fantastic!!!! You are very positive

I am surprised the Drs aren't giving you more meds.....it's only 3 weeks isn't it?

I was told to keep up my med regime so I could do some PT and stuff and to keep the pain at bay. My surgeon said that was quite normal

I hope you can keep them up at this early stage
 
Today was exactly 2 weeks since I had my RTHR. Feeling quite good, still tired and having a long nap in the morning. Iced and elevated today but did not do an awful lot of walking. Of course, through the apartment but no longer walks today. I did do the physio exercises and am having no trouble with them at all. I thought I'd try what the physiotherapist had suggested last week and take 1 Tylenol 3 and one 500mg Tylenol instead of two T3s. That would cut down on the codeine and maybe stretch the 'good meds'. I did that twice today and will have two T3s at bedtime. I did not have significantly more pain today so that may work. If not, I'll just have to call my GP again for more T3s. I don't have pain as such but when I walk I have quite a limp unless I'm holding on to my walker and I can feel in my thigh where I imagine the implant is in my femur. I think I'm having a textbook recovery :)
 
Today was not as positive a day as I've had. I woke up feeling quite sore - the one T3 and one Tylenol 500 mgs is not working for me! Another long nap this morning - this seems to be the way it goes for me. A decent sleep in the night, up around 6:30 for a couple of hours and then a 90 - 120 min nap. I felt quite blue today, not sure of the speed of my recovery, thinking I still have quite a lot of pain in my femur and my butt when I put my weight on my leg without using an aid. I did call my GP today to get more T3s but she is away on holiday until 5 March. I talked to both the pharmacy at the hospital and the MOA at the GPs office and they told me to tell them how many T3s I wanted and they would prescribe them. I have been taking between 8 and 10 per day so I've asked for 50 with a refill of another 50 if needed. Hmmmm, wonder how I'll make out?!? That is really only a 10 day supply so I will let you know! Tomorrow should be a better day
 
Hi @grandma chris , You sound like me, up and down like the tides :). It does get better, tomorrow will be better. I'm only now starting to sleep better at night, I've been napping through the day regularly.
 
Hope your days become better as you become stronger and healing continues! Glad you are able to get meds you need, or hope you are getting them. Really important in first three weeks!
 
@grandma chris your recovery is inspiring.
I hope you get the meds you need. It seems they are too restrictive on that making people
too anxious.
Hugs
 
@grandms Chris. Hope you feel better today. Sending hugs. Peggy :)
 
@grandma chris ...sounds like you are bang on in terms of recovery...2 weeks and you want to not use an aid? That's a bit early and that's why it hurts when you do it...plus you've cut down on the meds...the blues do seem to kick in around week 2/3. Hope they don't last too long for you. Think it's because week 1/2 you are just grateful op is over and then you start to get twitchy about the recovery.......you just want it done ......very normal. This is when the patience thing I'd needed.....! Hope you get your meds and that today us better got you...love Chrissie xxxxxx


Sent from my iPad using BoneSmart®
 
Thank you so much everyone! How wonderful to belong to this very supportive and helpful community. I do feel better today yay!! I called the pharmacy and the doctor's office and everyone is saying yes, they sent it, no they didn't receive it - the usual :) Now they will talk to each other and hopefully I will get my meds before the weekend. You're right @Hoppy Nanny, two weeks is much too early to be thinking about walking without aids, but yesterday I just felt like I was not progressing at all. I know that's not true of course, but those rotten blues had gotten hold of me! Today, I tried using a cane and that was much more successful for me than a crutch. I think I can manage some time on cane and some on walker - that will probably help me get a little stronger. I don't feel quite as tired today, but nevertheless I am off to my midmorning snooze now. Later skaters!!
 
@grandma chris...Hi...I have been following your recovery girl....how are you doing today??? It seems like your recovery is going very well...;I'm so scared grandma chris.....I see my doctor in two weeks,,,,,for my decision to get my new hip....feeling not like myself,,,afraid of all that could go wrong,,,but with these thoughts I limp around the house..lol...I know I have to do this,,,,your posts make me feel at ease,,,,I'm just all over the place reading about everybody's recovery,,,,It just bums me out that I will have to check out of my routine,,the house the job all that...that's when you feel alone..did you have those feelings?? Its life's details that have to be put on hold,,,but then I keep telling myself..JoAnne its just for awhile...:sigh:..Oh well thanks for listening and congrats on that new hip,,,you sound fantastic and thank you :SUNsmile:....it really is helping me to get to a good place in my head....hugs:puppysmooze:
 
@chaseyboy Hi! I'm quite good today, just getting pretty bored! I know what you mean about being worried - I was terrified in the weeks leading up to the surgery. Funnily enough, the last day or two before I got very calm. You're right that there are many things that can go wrong, but really those things are very rare. I believe the success rate for this surgery is over 95%! I did have feelings of uncertainty but not so much about job, house, etc. I am retired and my dear sweet husband was very much looking forward to supporting me through this. He may be sorry about that now!! :) Boredom has started to set in but up until the last day or so, it really hasn't been a big factor. I end up spending a lot of time in bed, either sleeping or icing/elevating, or just plain surfing. Between that and doing the little bit of PT and walking it pretty much uses up the days. I have to say that I agree with DrToonz, it's hard to concentrate so reading, puzzles, etc are not very helpful at the moment. I have had very little pain throughout this whole thing. When I've had a long time between meds (overnight) I wake up very stiff but it's not really bad pain. There was some tightness around the incision site and swelling but that is going away.
So you don't have a date yet? Is that what you'll be deciding with your doctor soon? I hope you're able to make the right decision for you soon and that you don't have to wait too long.
 
@grandma chris...Me again....Yes I do have a date ...March 10...OMG>>>>>>I said it March 10 ..:groan:I had decided that on my last appointment...I have had to do pt first. Insurance thing I guess cause I never did it, I did have the shots though that really only lasted for a brief time.......March 10.....:scary:,,,that's when I said lets do it....hope I don't change my mind:shrug: So as you see I don't have to wait long......:what:...just like I said want to get myself in a good place...We shall see:sorry:....I had picked that date because he works out of 2 hospitals and that day he was in the hospital closer to my home. What approach did you have? I have chosen the anterior,,,,and that's what keeps my head hurting....should i do it that way or the other way..posterior...oh geez I need an advil....:hissy:
 
@grandma chris - you are spot on where you should be with your recovery. Sleeping, napping is what you need for the healing to occur - there is plenty of time later to become more active. Let your body guide you, it is in charge of your recovery hon x
 
Thanks @Poppet! It helps to have the positive reinforcement! @chaseyboy the 10th of March sounds like a really good day to have your surgery! It is the day I will be flying off to Europe for our holiday, hopefully sans walker!! I had anterior-lateral approach, which incision follows down my thigh like the seam on my pants. I haven't been able to measure it yet, there are steri-strips and swelling to be considered, but it looks like it's around 8 inches long. It would be longer for me as I am quite heavy and have substantial thighs! When I asked at the Surgical Optimization Clinic, I was told that all of the surgeons in our town use that approach so it would not have been up to me. In retrospect, it is what I would have chosen. I am not affected by sitting down and there is no pulling feeling. During the first few days, when I did butt clenches or sat down, I could sometimes feel something in the cheek of my bum, sort of like sitting on a ball. That sensation was gone after about a week and I can now do clenches without that weird feeling and sitting feels normal. The arthritis pain in my hip is all gone! yay!!! I don't actually feel any pain and today I missed taking my suppertime dose of meds, so I ended up going 7 hours between dosages. I felt very stiff walking, but no real pain to speak of. I will continue taking my meds at the prescribed time otherwise it is uncomfortable to walk much. I have now taken my meds and am tucked into bed for the night. It's nice chatting with you this way - in some ways this is a lonely venture. My DH is very supportive and kind but talking to someone who has or is anticipating going through it is different.
 
And another note to those who expressed concern, yes I did get my meds as requested, in the amount I asked for. I will be fine! Thank you :)
 
@grandma chris. Glad you got your meds and that you have very little pain. It does get very stiff at times, especially once you start increasing the times between doses. Bet you are looking forward to your holidays.....not long now...hopefully the weather will be good for you. Take care and hope your recovery goes from strength to strength. Chrissie.

@ chaseyboy...not long now until March 10th.....the waiting is so the worst bit...your imagination runs riot....but you have seen how well all the lovely bone smarties are doing.....we will all be here for you...thinking of you....Chrissie xxxx


Sent from my iPad using BoneSmart®
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.
Back
Top Bottom