THR Day nine, graduated to crutch, staples gone

Status
Not open for further replies.
Wow, what a great trip ... hope your cold clears shortly and back in the pool with you. I am still limping at 12 weeks out here also. Thought I was not but my kids and husband say I am ... oh well. No cane here though for about two weeks. Good luck!!
 
What a wonderful trip! You can always go back in a couple of years and do it again with a stronger hip! Thanks for sharing and keep up with the smooth recovery!
 
Hi again everyone! Today is my four month anniversary and I thought I'd give you an update and let you know where I am now - it may be of interest for those new hippies or those about to become hippies. I have gone back to my volunteer job as the 'coffee, tea, and juice' lady at one of our local rest homes. I had had to stop because the pain in my hip was too great and it's wonderful to be back. I have no restrictions at all anymore. I have excellent range of motion but I still try to be a little careful (I'm not the type of person to spit into the wind!). I've stopped using the pillow between my knees when sleeping as I found I was not getting as deep a sleep as I needed. I can and often do spend hours sleeping on my incision side. My stamina is much better than it was but I still have stiffness and some pain when I first stand up after sitting for a while. It lasts only for 10 or 20 steps and it's not as bad as it was, but it's still there. I no longer use a cane and I don't limp except when I first stand up and when I'm very tired. My incision has healed well and is not at all painful. The small pink spot at the bottom is still there, but it's never given me any trouble. I feel extremely fortunate to have had this surgery and am very grateful for the excellent recovery I've enjoyed. I am well on my way to the 'forgotten hip'. Thank you so much to all the supportive people I've met on this site and to @Josephine, thank you for the excellent job you do - supporting, instructing, and just generally being wonderful.
 
Good to hear you're doing so well
:-)
are you swimming?
Best, Gill




Sent from my iPad using BoneSmart®
 
sounds great and very similar to my recovery. I guess those 10 to 20 steps are the last remnant. and as Josephine clarified for me, it's the wound and not the hip. keep on keepin on
 
Great update Chris! I believe we are same surgery day. I have almost the same experience. I can mow the lawn, walked 2 1/2 miles in the Memorial Day parade with my kids and if my knees were good would be biking! So glad to hear your update. I often forget I had my hip done also! Amazing how quickly our bodies heal. Good for you!!
 
Five months for me.. Great update and so happy for you! This summer will be great!


Diane Anterior
LTHR 12-17-13
 
So happy that all is good for you...a great update...onwards and upwards! Chrissie xxx


Sent from my iPad using BoneSmart®
 
@grandma chris Sounds like all is well for you. So glad to hear. I will be 4 months on the 18th and the only complaint I have is I don't have the ROM I would like to have but I know it will come in time. We just moved into a home we are buying so I have spent a lot of time cleaning the yard and just general stuff like that. Your report will help others I am sure!!
 
My range of motion has greatly improved since I began going to Aqua Therapy at our local Y. Gentle exercise and quite a few of the ladies in the class have had recent hip replacements, so the exercise is geared to us. So happy!
 
@grandma chris That is so good for you!
Do you still experience stiffness when standing after sitting for a bit?
It takes me several steps to 'get going' normally..... You?
 
I do but in the last couple of weeks, it's been a lot less. I'm hoping it will go away soon. I remember reading that Josephine said that it's the wound, not the hip and I tend to believe that. Well, of course I believe everything Josephine says, she hasn't been wrong where I'm concerned at all! It's getting better and that's what I'm happiest about.
 
@grandma chris So glad that things are getting better for you, and I hope I am right behind you. I had been going to the Y as well but we just moved in a home we are buying and I have been doing a lot of yard work so have been letting that fill in for the formal exercise I get at the Y. I can see why the ROM and tightness is related to the incision and not the hip itself. When I get to the point where the ROM is not where I want it, I can tell the thigh muscle is tight. Since my date is only about 3 weeks behind yours, hoping that all of the rest of me follows suit.
 
So I'm 6.5 months out and I feel wonderful. There is no more incision pain at all, still a little numb right by the incision but nothing at all to worry about, it's coming back. No more pain when I stand up to walk - it's like I never had surgery at all. No limp from my hip at all, sometimes from my feet but that's a whole other story! I don't get so tired in the daytime anymore, stopped needing naps about a month ago. My stamina is not back to what it was before my hip got very bad, but I have a LOT more energy than I did. Some days I am a dynamo of cleaning and cooking (okay, that's a slight exaggeration! dynamo is the wrong word!) and I am soooo much more productive than I've been for the last couple of years. The knee on my operated side is really acting up -- quite swollen and gets quite sore if I'm on my feet for a longer time. Not sure if it's just because of a bum knee or a change in the way my body works now that I have a new hip. I've got a prescription for physio and will try that soon. It's been a very busy summer with visitors, including grandchildren, and lots of action. I am in much better shape to enjoy the festivities this year. I love my life <3
 
Try icing that swollen knee. So glad all is wonderful!!


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
@grandma chris Wow sounds like things are going great!! So good to hear!! On the 18th it will be 6 months for me and mine is doing great as well.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.
Back
Top Bottom