THR day 2 post op

Status
Not open for further replies.
whether young or older and you just had a replacement I want to know people who still do running after hip surgery, how long did it take you and did your physical therapist and doctor say you could start back to running and jog?

Hi @healthgal46 - my surgeon advised I could start running at 12 weeks to allow the implant time to fuse properly so I tried to stick to that as best I could (although I did end up doing a few warm up interval runs at taekwondo a couple of weeks prior). He has said I should give up running on hard surfaces permanently, but running in moderation on grass/sand etc is fine. I guess I'm about 4 months out of surgery now and I've just spent my lunchtime 'running' a bootcamp running session and its wonderful to be running completely pain free again.

For me, it gave me extra confidence that running was ok, when I knew I'd stuck to the rules . My advice would be to check out with your OS, not just your PT, what his rules are and then you'll have fewer concerns or worries that you're doing the wrong thing. Its worth the wait I guarantee :yes:
 
:running:New questions so what is the deal with the burning pain on the incision area? My PT told me it is the nerve endings in the skins surface healing and trying to reconnect, so cool but ouch! I bang my hip or stretch oh my oh my !
Hi @healthgal46 - my surgeon advised I could start running at 12 weeks to allow the implant time to fuse properly so I tried to stick to that as best I could (although I did end up doing a few warm up interval runs at taekwondo a couple of weeks prior). He has said I should give up running on hard surfaces permanently, but running in moderation on grass/sand etc is fine. I guess I'm about 4 months out of surgery now and I've just spent my lunchtime 'running' a bootcamp running session and its wonderful to be running completely pain free again.

For me, it gave me extra confidence that running was ok, when I knew I'd stuck to the rules . My advice would be to check out with your OS, not just your PT, what his rules are and then you'll have fewer concerns or worries that you're doing the wrong thing. Its worth the wait I guarantee :yes:

my doctor and pt said the same thing running less miles a week is fine but if i plan on doing 25 to 30 or more miles a week i will just wear down my new hip in no time. no i don't plan on that but i was so happy when they said i can do it again. i live in a hilly area not a lot of hills but i have to find a place that has trails because it is less jarring on your hip and knees. totally agree on this. They told me approximately by end of may maybe mid may. i so cant wait!! i miss my runners high! and plus i so need to get this weight off. ugh!!! i am glad there are other running peeps out here!
 
New questions so what is the deal with the burning pain on the incision area?
Ice will help ease this - but yes, that incision can be very sensitive.

I would not recommend long distance running of any sort so early out. But that's me - all the best if you do.
 
Enjoy running and best of luck on your upcoming revision.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
 
  • Agree
Reactions: IMs
well i am not sure if it is a big big energy drain or if i am hitting the plateau. not sure how to tell when the plateau hits, but today must have overdone it because i have no energy or strength doing upper body workouts and treadmill. so i am wiped out and my leg achy feeling like a 5. broke down and took a oxycodone (boo) feel like a weakling when i break down to taking them. i am 3 weeks out of surgery and am doing well but i guess i am very stubborn and trying to push through the tired and energy drain. The funny thing is i was listening to my body and mind and they were screaming at me " Lynn i want and need sometime off please don't workout and let me rest" did i no!! i went to the gym but only lasted like 45 mins. so angry at myself! yes, i know i have to give myself a break after this big surgery. It is easier said than done.

So, right now i am very down and tired and feel like curling up and sleeping and crying. does this come with the plateau. knowing i am slowly making progress and now boom, down hill. I am going to be smart and go to pt tomorrow and than come home and just rest all day except for chores and play with my puppies. sorry to complain. just need a virtual hug!!
 
:tantrum::sleep::beg::shrug: so all in one thought this is how i am feeling as of right now.
 
You should consider some psychiatric care in addition to your physical regimen. It is obvious from your posts that you suffer from a number of disorders (I think you even specifically mentioned some) and that they are severely interfering in your recovery. You also do not appreciate the lifestyle change that needs to be considered as a THR recipient.

I can relate to your need to exercise. I was one a professional bike racer, it actually paid my bills, and retiring from riding a bike 40 hours a week was quite a shock. To this day I find it almost impossible to go for a bike ride without incorporating some type of formal interval training, even though I have nothing to train for. Now recovering from my THR I am really looking forward to just commuting to work on my bike and riding with my wife (who is quite accomplished herself) on the weekends.
 
So, right now i am very down and tired and feel like curling up and sleeping and crying. does this come with the plateau. knowing i am slowly making progress and now boom, down hill. I am going to be smart and go to pt tomorrow and than come home and just rest all day except for chores and play with my puppies. sorry to complain. just need a virtual hug!!

:console2: So you're feeling like :dead: and you just want to :boohoo:and get some :sleep:. Do it..that's listening to your body too :yes:. Tomorrow will be another day. I know you know it - and that you have a need to do it - but you are doing a heck of a lot so soon out of surgery and the lack of energy and the pains etc are just going to be something you'll have to accept while your body tries to heal and you keep diverting your energies to 'other stuff'. Don't mean to be harsh:flwrysmile:just honest. But, please, please - do take on board what a few of us have said; the more you do too early, the more you risk some kind of chronic injury that is going to delay getting back to 'normal' even longer. I jumped on my spin bike a few weeks out of surgery and, instead of taking it easy, as I planned, I ended up going full on. It was not good news and I really annoyed my iliopsoas tendon to the point where I was struggling to lift my leg. It was miserable and, if I could, I'd have kicked myself! Its much better now, practically healed I'd say, but I've stayed away from the bike. Not taking any more chances.

Keep walking with the :doggie::doggie: and take it steady at the gym. The more you exercise the more sleep you are going to need to recover, so take that on board too. Think about how you can get some balance between what your head says you need to do and what your body says you need to do and have those guys work on a compromise?
 
@healthgal46 oh yes indeed all those emotions are perfectly normal to this recovery! Go ahead, have a good cry, or (like me) a nice little tantrum. Then a nap. Always a nap!!!!!!
You should NOT be having pain at a 5 at three weeks out!! Nope nope nope! (Who used to say that-- was it the little triceratops in Land Before Time?)
That much pain is a very loud sign that your body wants ice, pain meds, and rest from all the exertion. Your plan for tomorrow sounds good.
@whiteshoecovers one can make a living bike riding? You must have been quite an elite athlete!! Wow...


My phone sent this using BoneSmart Forum, clever phone!
 
@healthgal46 While I did not push myself to any great lengths during my recovery (other than being impatient with myself time and time again), I did have those moments of sadness. I would refer to that as my toddler reaction. I was tired, sore and just wanted to be left alone to go to sleep. The more cranky I became, of course, the more difficult things were to accomplish, even if it was just getting out of the stupid chair. Along with the sadness came the crabbing and cussing and general toddlerness of my of my nature. I'm not exactly sure why, but this surgery, more than others I've had, seems to bring that out in people. Just ride the wave, and be kind to yourself.
 
Hi @healthgal46 I'm so sad that you are feeling down, not really surprised, but sad... I said at one point in my recovery thread "you don't know you've hit the wall until you hear the SPLAT!" so I do know that you weren't AIMING for the wall, sadly it finds us sometimes:cry: and the more we "push through it" the bigger the target we make ourselves

So, right now i am very down and tired and feel like curling up and sleeping and crying. does this come with the plateau. knowing i am slowly making progress and now boom, down hill.
.... the answer to this is yes AND no; yes, the feeling down CAN come from hitting that plateau (not sure if you understand what "plateauing" means, it's just when you've had a steady improvement then you level out, or hit a plateau - a flat spot) it comes with some disappointment that you've "stopped" improving.... of course you HAVEN'T stopped it's just that not improving at the same rate, but boy it can feel like it's all over.:tantrum: Take heart, improvements will continue, and you will be further ahead in a week than you are now, further ahead again a week from then :yahoo:

...and now the "no" part! You are more likely (MUCH more likely) to be feeling that way because you have overdone it.... I think you know that in your heart,
The funny thing is i was listening to my body and mind and they were screaming at me " Lynn i want and need sometime off please don't workout and let me rest" did i no!!
It is very hard for you to weigh up which feeling you dislike the most - the wrung out beaten feeling you have right now from overdoing it or the hyped up agitated feeling you have when you are not so active (acknowledging your ADHD) Unfortunately at this stage of the game I think it is still a case of choosing... in a few weeks (if you give your body a chance to heal) you WILL be able to work off that energy, without your damaged body competing for it, as Miss Moo said. If you keep trying to "push through" that point will be reached much later with all the yo-yo stuff in there. Plus there's the chronic tendinitis thing, which is a pain (literally in the butt for me, and STILL giving me trouble at six months - next hip I will NOT be overdoing it, just not worth it long term)

go to pt tomorrow and than come home and just rest all day except for chores and play with my puppies
sounds really good.... except for the PT, chores and playing with your puppies :heehee: seriously, play gently with the puppies (that's good for the soul :)) and try NOT to do PT and chores ('cept the REAL basic we'll-die-if-I-don't-do-them types, which I know is easier said than done... I am Obsessive so I do KNOW... I also know that while it's easier said than done, it can be done... it's just harder :snork:) your body NEEDS rest... if you give it some rest you won't have to give it meds, or at least you'll be able to give it a lot less meds! Nobody likes taking meds, but you have to be realisitic; if you're asking more of your body (not your mind, your body) than it can do without medication it will react - you have to give it one or the other, rest or meds, you cannot "push through it" because in this situation YOU are not in control, your BODY is, so it's not "weak" (though to be fair "weakened" is term I used when I had to medicate from being unrealistic! so again, I know how you feel) it's a necessary evil

You are doing really well, I know your ADHD 'complicates' things, and you've accommodated it better than I for one thought you would, so here's a bouquet for that :flwrysmile::flwrysmile::flwrysmile: Your body needs first consideration right now, try and find a diversion for the ADHD issues (perhaps those that support you with your ADHD have something to offer? just thinking out loud) In a very short time, once your hip is healed, you will be able to exercise like a demon and the extra weight you say you've gained will just drop off. Until that time you're not really getting the weight off anyway if you tire out so quickly... unless you weigh all those tears :bawl:

Hope you feel better, coz feeling bad like this sucks :snork:

Donna :SUNsmile:
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Hi - not sure if you have read this article - it is so important to understand how the body goes about healing and the part we can/should/need to play in our recovery.. @healthgal46 at three weeks you are in the medically acknowledged Remodeling phase (3 weeks - years) phase - this is such an important phase - please read it hon, slow down, don't be so hard on yourself, play with the puppies :)

The following is a link to an article which provides some approximate timeframes around the healing phases and processes (and relevant nutritional information) for you to read.

Healing Phases & Nutrition
 
Ok healthgal I guess its on several levels main thing being that you worry that your main way of coping with ADHD is for now a problem mainly because you ability physically. Many things in your life will have hit that wall and there is the frustration you feel. Might I also suggest you have the keep fit exercise bug which is also part of dealing with ADHD it alows you to succeed but also the fatigued feeling after calms things. Treat this as day one of new regime. With all the will in the world your poor battered body couldnt cope with what you were expecting so start as day one set new expectations and levels of achievement. This is like you pushed too hard got a muscle tear and then have to recuperate. No point saying dont be down its how you feel right now. Draw a line and start again but this time you can forge ahead with experience and knowladge you have gained. You will still get there just the body wants to do it slower hence why in effect the fatigue is it shutting down to have time to heal. Listen to your body.

Legin THR Sep 14
 
You are almost at what I call the one month slump! Things seem to progress very quickly in the first few weeks. Then suddenly they seem to run in slow motion. The good news is there is tons of healing still taking place.
i guess i am very stubborn and trying to push through the tired and energy drain.
This approach will only prolong the energy drain. You are actually making it worse by trying to push.

I'll leave this article for you again Post op blues is a reality - be prepared for it Post op blues is something everyone going through recovery feels. Just roll with it. Watch a funny movie, meet with friends, cuddle your four footed friends - this too shall pass!
 
@healthgal46 re that one month slump-- i noticed, for me, that for the first 2-3 weeks I had daily progress. For the next maybe 6 weeks i could look back at the end of a week and see I had progressed. After that it was quite random! One day I would say, hey, look what I just did! You are nearly 20 yrs younger than me, you will heal faster. Give puppies a hug for me :)


My phone sent this using BoneSmart Forum, clever phone!
 
Hi @healthgal46
Another bouquet for you ... :flwrysmile::flwrysmile::flwrysmile: you deserve it!

Do you find that high protein helps keeping you on track, particularly when you cannot exercise?

You will get there - I did despite despairing at times. I gradually got my equilibrium back with no more tears - at least not often
.
 
I'll add to your bouquet :flwrysmile::flwrysmile::flwrysmile::flwrysmile:. And :loveshwr::loveshwr::loveshwr::loveshwr: some of these too! I am truly glad I have a kindred spirit. Perhaps, a different perspective though I totally agree with all of the :goodpost:(s) above.

I always kind of welcomed when I slammed into the wall after "over-doing" because I like you always "over-do" life and feel quite horrible if I don't. When I slammed into the wall after my second surgery -- usually at least once a day, I knew I had physically and mentally done all that I could. I didn't get the panic and guilt and awful feeling that I should just keep going and going. I simply couldn't, I had to collapse and sleep. Lynn, I think you are listening to your body and that you can trust yourself. You will push limits: accept, breathe, and maybe next time you'll catch yourself two seconds (a half a second) before you hit the wall! :rolleyes:

You are doing this recovery marathon just fine -- it is your recovery!
 
Oh -- an I found it very helpful to keep a journal marking down all the little successes -- and failures. It really helps ease the mind that you are not "recovering" fast enough.

I still hit the wall and blame it on recovery and it'll soon be 6 months!
 
Hi @healthgal46,
Here is some encouragement from me. It looks as though you have indeed reached a plateau. But this recovery has often been compared with a marathon. But you're on the right track - while you may be stubborn (insisting that you want to do things) you have also learned some patience. A marathon runner often hits what they call the wall - the plateau is comparable to the wall. When I was hitting the wall during the marathon and felt really really exhausted I just slowed down a bit and then got my strength back. So slow down and persevere - you will get there - the future looks bright. Best of luck
Constanze
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom