THR day 2 post op

Status
Not open for further replies.
Healthgal, there are page numbers for each thread at the top and bottom of each page. Each post in a thread is numbered. So if you were looking for post #4, you would go back to page 1 and scroll down to post #4.
 
so what i want to know is if you are feeling good energy wise and pain tolerance is good why is it that i feel i can do a bit more at 2 weeks. today is my 2 week frame and feeling great! going to start outside pt and am officially cleared to hit the gym back. stitches and incision looks excellent and no more bandage layers and trying to use no more pain meds unless uncomfy or at night. seems my leg bugs me when sleeping more. lol!! but my pt said that it is because you are using your leg in ways that it is still weak and when resting our bodies are healing big time. hmmm i just love physical therapists.
 
so what i want to know is if you are feeling good energy wise and pain tolerance is good why is it that i feel i can do a bit more at 2 weeks.
You can do a bit more at 2 weeks out. But not as much as when you are (say) 6 weeks out. Follow your surgeon's instructions and you won't go wrong.
seems my leg bugs me when sleeping more.
Very common post op. Take your pain meds at night. They will help to control this.
 
Hi healathgal46 & wow: Cleared to drive on day 12. Excellent. And incision healing fast and pain minimal. Keep up the good work. You are indeed an ultra ultra rapid recoverer. Lol.
 
Sounds like a great day @healthgal46! 2 weeks recovery - you are where I long to be!! Well done for the results of all your focus and patience!
:walking:
I am super excited at where I am in 15 days,we're just described me are dedicated driven motivated we're just described me are dedicated, driven, motivated ,stubborn headed. I got cleared by my doctor to return back to the gym only doing upper body biking core but physical therapy exercises my legs and I'll tell you something today was my first day back for physical therapy and wow my leg is so achy
 
so now my question of the day is when I go for walks I'm trying to increase it a little each time outside or on my treadmill I don't swell up as much but when I do exercises for weights with my PT my leg swells up what's the deal I amI am puzzled but I am icing it right now as we speak and elevating it but I just can't figure it out
 
It's no mystery. If you do an activity and you get swelling or pain, it means you're not quite ready for that much yet. If you are doing your own home exercises in addition to a therapy session it could be the combination of all that in one day is too much. At any rate, the swelling is an indication to scale it back just a bit temporarily.
 
thanks for the response Jamie but the question of the days today that I have is one how do we know when our body is in healing mode completely so we can start increasing the activities I know everybody is telling me to pull the reins back a little and slow it down because this is major surgery and believe me I got you the two week process but it is very hard to pull back I'm back at the gym and just doing the exercises at my physical therapist gave me weather at home or at the gym is just like my leg is like hurting not hurting like a scale of 10 but its kills like maybe a4 but it's not easy I'll tell you that right now today I'm taking off from the gym but I'm going out for a nice walk with my dog and do some home exercises and that's very hard for me because the type of personality I have is like I need to get to the gym all the time now because I want to lose this weight I know everybody thinks I'm a nut case well either way everyone have a good day
 
Girl, you craaaaazy! :lol: Nobody thinks you are a nut case!!! We all want you to have a great outcome, that's why we say the things we do!! Many of us have set ourselves back by doing too much exercise too soon!! We share our stories with others in the hopes that the OverDidIt Club will not gain another member.
I had a "hip-sistah", a woman your age who had bilateral THR the same day as my surgery. At about two weeks post op, she was given a very difficult PT exercise, which she did willingly, as she was having an energetic recovery, just as you are. Well, she fell off the PT table, tore some hip muscles, and was put on bed rest for eight weeks. Nobody on here wants to see anybody else on here have anything like that happen to them!!!
We can tell you till we are blue in the face that the few ounces you may have gained are nothing to worry about in the grand scheme of things, and hope you will have a safe and good recovery, so that a year from now you will be delighted with your new hip! That's what we're here for, long distance support! But we can't make you do or feel anything-- that is up to you!!! :) :) :)


My phone sent this using BoneSmart Forum, clever phone!
 
@healthgal You are so much like me. I was a runner and a gym rat......spin, body pump, yoga, zumba.....anything to keep me active. Then, I had LTHR last March...yes, a year ago! I was so anxious to get back to the gym after surgery! I actually waited until 5 weeks before I strted back and then it was just light stationary bike and upper body light weights. You are back at 2 weeks out, there was no way I could have done that. I don't mean to discourage you in any way, BUT....I caution you to not try to do things too fast. If you push too hard, you are at risk of developing bursitis, tendonitis and other things that can become chronic and really impact your recovery. I am JUST recently starting to feel like I am back to my pre surgery level of fitness and able to do what I could before surgery. It has taken me a long time, a whole year! Looking back, I think I was too over-zealous because I missed working out so much! I wanted to get right back into it and I was so impatient. I have dealt with thigh pain ever since surgery. I still don't know what the problem is, but we are working on figuring it out. And it is finally starting to feel better just in the last 2 weeks! So, maybe it has been tendonitis all along.

My advice to you is to take it slower. You are a lot younger than me, so maybe it will be easier for you, but if you develop these issues because you pushed too hard, you will be so bummed out. And then it will take a lot longer to get back to your previous level of fitness. Anyway....just my 2 cents. Good luck to you. :flwrysmile:
 
are you having the bursitis flare up or the IT band syndrome or piriformis syndrome i am reading about.
 
:dancy::egypdance::angel::yahoo:hi everyone, well wanted to wish everyone a Happy Easter to all! today will make it Day 17 from my recovery and i am happy. my swelling is down a lot as of now. going to gym today and pt after and feeling stronger day by day. yesterday i was in that Energy Drain day! thought it was the oxycodone half of tablet i took but went for a 3 mile walk with my pup and kept a close eye on my performance of how my leg worked, pain level and i was so happy it went well. but came home even from when i woke up i was like wow i am pooped but why? it is funny how some days we are little road runners and than some days we are little turtles. go fig!!! i have learned and becoming more in tune with what my body can or cant handle. A lot of people are like slow down, yes i am but i cant believe how hard it is to do that. I keep in mind that everything will come back even better and stronger if you don't push too hard. everyone is different in their recovery time frame. I am sure after my gym and pt today my body and leg will be tired. I will come home and elevate and ice it and tomorrow is another day!! again thank you so much for all the wonderful people out here. This group is so awesome!!
 
@healthgal You are so much like me. I was a runner and a gym rat......spin, body pump, yoga, zumba.....anything to keep me active. Then, I had LTHR last March...yes, a year ago! I was so anxious to get back to the gym after surgery! I actually waited until 5 weeks before I strted back and then it was just light stationary bike and upper body light weights. You are back at 2 weeks out, there was no way I could have done that. I don't mean to discourage you in any way, BUT....I caution you to not try to do things too fast. If you push too hard, you are at risk of developing bursitis, tendonitis and other things that can become chronic and really impact your recovery. I am JUST recently starting to feel like I am back to my pre surgery level of fitness and able to do what I could before surgery. It has taken me a long time, a whole year! Looking back, I think I was too over-zealous because I missed working out so much! I wanted to get right back into it and I was so impatient. I have dealt with thigh pain ever since surgery. I still don't know what the problem is, but we are working on figuring it out. And it is finally starting to feel better just in the last 2 weeks! So, maybe it has been tendonitis all along.

My advice to you is to take it slower. You are a lot younger than me, so maybe it will be easier for you, but if you develop these issues because you pushed too hard, you will be so bummed out. And then it will take a lot longer to get back to your previous level of fitness. Anyway....just my 2 cents. Good luck to you. :flwrysmile:


thank you for your input, isn't it hard to slow down. we all love being active. you seem a bit more active than me. i love running or jogging and lifting weights and have to add in biking too so i can do outside too. it is very hard to say slow down a bit but i am more in tune with what my body will let me do and to step back. i asked my dr and pt when i can start back jogging and i said i want to aim to be back doing it by mid may and she is like that will be about 8 weeks out that is due able but more towards the end of may. i am like boo! but i can do this. i want to have a healthy leg and hip for a long time.
 
:lol: healthgal you sound so happy!! I have this theory that a spring/summer recovery is better, and you are supporting that for me.
I am 63, and given family history may live till 90, so I am babying my hip-- do NOT want to do a thr at 85!! So I only run in little sprints--chasing my shopping cart downhill in the supermarket parking lot and suchlike. It was over a year before I could do that pounding without a jab of pain in the upper thigh on every step. But now that little detail has cleared itself up, probably by 19 or 20 months out.
Happy Easter, to you too!!!


My phone sent this using BoneSmart Forum, clever phone!
 
whether young or older and you just had a replacement I want to know people who still do running after hip surgery, how long did it take you and did your physical therapist and doctor say you could start back to running and jog? my physical therapist at 8 weeks from yesterday I am 2 weeks + 4 days out of total hip replacement I said I'd like to get back to my jogging running by middle of May and she says that is possible but more towards the end of May
 
Last edited by a moderator:
so I noticed since I started physical therapy and moving around more. My incision area is bruising more. before it was just minor bruising and now the last couple days it's much more what does that mean?
 
I have my suspicions about the bruising being related to incomplete healing and exercise but heavens knows, I'm not in medicine! Bruising should be improving, otherwise. Are you getting visiting nurses? If so they may have answers or physios may as well. I'd back off a bit until you get an answer tho, health gal. No set-backs!!
 
If you are getting new bruises around your incision, you need to contact your surgeon's office. That indicates internal bleeding and it most likely needs to be checked out. Have you shown the bruises to your therapist? I would think new bruising would concern her as well.
 
i will call my dr and ask if i need to be seen, i saw him on Monday before i started official pt on Tuesday and he said very minimum bruising which is good now since then bruising coming out more and friend told me the same thing internal bleeding how does that happen
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

  • djklaugh
    Staff member since December 30, 2020

Members online

Back
Top Bottom