THR day 2 post op

Status
Not open for further replies.
Internal bleeding can happen for a number of reasons. I would hate to try and speculate why you're getting bleeding if this is what is going on. But I imagine your surgeon will want to see you to determine if there is a problem that needs his attention. The important thing is that you noticed an increase in bruising and you are going to contact your surgeon.
 
so i called my doctor and she basically told me that the bruising is typical delay of the surgery and that as long as it isn't severe black and blue you are ok, and she said that because you are still early in your healing process it is normal but too also pull the reigns back a bit but to continue the pt exercises. it is because my body isn't used to doing the exercises again and the vessels are bleeding out a bit so i keep an eye on it and am aware of the swelling.
 
That's great news @healthgal46 ! Icing and elevating will also take any swelling down a bit.
 
:mcoffee::alarm:yes it is now if i can just figure out these stupid energy drains, didn't experience any in the beginning but since i started back up to the gym and pt i get pooped out fast. ugh!!! my pt said i can go to the gym to do my upper body and core and cardio originally 3 days a week but got her to give me 4 days and i usually do 5 days week. planned on 5 days this week but only made it 4 as of yesterday. i slept good due to the pain med relief drugs but was in pain from yesterday and didn't think i overdid it. lol!! i guess i don't know what is considered overdoing it because i am a tough little gal to go hard, so having a hard time pulling the reigns back. my friend told me you have to because your body is working hard to heal and recover and if i go to far i will end up having to get the new joint removed and than be laid up for 4 or more months not doing anything because you have no joint there till your body heals again. yikes!! so today i am just going to go for a walk and do some light pt exercises till tomorrow, but i hate these drains of energy.
 
my pt said i can go to the gym to do my upper body and core and cardio originally 3 days a week but got her to give me 4 days and i usually do 5 days week. planned on 5 days this week but only made it 4 as of yesterday.
If your PT said stick with 4 days per week you need to do just that. You need to allow your body to heal. The energy drain will ease - but you are very early out of major surgery. Give your body a chance. Your PT is right, if you push you may indeed regret it.
 
Sorry, but your friend obviously doesn't know a lot about joint replacements. What she is describing is a process that is done when one has an infected joint. While overdoing things can cause a host of problems, it will not give you an infection. The energy drain means you are overdoing things. It's your signal to stop and pull back.
 
Your friend is so well meaning and obviously trying to find a way they know you will listen too so that you slow down. You have loads of advise but why not litterally write down a schedule and run it past PT.

Legin THR Sep 14
 
Hi @healthgal46
You are doing really well with your recovery and going through such struggles at the same time. As a fellow ADHDer I found the energy drains difficult to deal with. I had to give in to them which I have never done in my life before and I found it depressing - to be lounging around "doing nothing" but for me it was the only answer. I had to increase my protein intake significantly just to keep my ADHD symptoms under control!

What we go through it is so hard yet so amazing. To think we will be forgetting about our hip ops in months to come and getting on with our lives - roll on a few months time!

Karen x
 
3 weeks tomorrow from recovery. Less swelling less pain except after exercising but more aware daily of what my body can and can't handle. Happy Easter everyne!
 
:tiredwheel::happydance::dancy:3 weeks out for post op and seems like i am getting better each day. i am still having a hard time slowing it down since i have the energy and some good strength now but my PT was telling me that you are at the high peak of the energy and strength right now but soon you will hit a plateau and it will be a bit hard again> what does this mean? went for a nice walk with my dog no pain but a lot of sensory sensation going on on the skin of the hip area where the dr cut open, i asked her and she said we have sensory nerves on our skin and as they are in the good healing process that they are trying to regrow and connect they are more sensitive with touch. yeah, i would say so. i touched it while showering and moved the leg and ouch! what a burn. but i am rocking things. I did a 4.4 ml walk today was only planning on a 3.5 one but my stupid monitor for tracking mileage stopped dead. lol!!

does anyone know these two questions. what is a normal walking speed pace for someone who is active (pretending we never had surgery and than when we have surgery? and secondly how do we know physiologically when our bodies are fully healed and can get back to running? hope everyone had a blessed Easter.
 
Healthgal, it is helpful if you create a signature that includes your surgery date. To do this, mouse hover over your username at the top right of the screen. Choose Create a Signature from the drop down menu. Having your surgery date handy like this in every post makes things so much easier for us.
 
:) look around in the gym, in the supermarket, on tv, on the street-- you will see all different walking paces. I am tall and have a long stride, but women much shorter-legged than I can beat me by scurrying with a short stride.
As to physiological healing, there is a chart in the library portion of this forum (sorry can't figure out links on my phone) which gives very good answers to that question. You can also call your surgeon's office, where someone can tell you. My PT told me the standard for a hip full recovery is 50 weeks.
And I think your PT meant exactly what she said! Ask her to explain further next time you see her.
Glad you're feeling so on top of the world!!


My phone sent this using BoneSmart Forum, clever phone!
 
We all hit the plateau well most. Its when progress is trundling along at a pace then suddenly hit the sticky bog and often blues set in. My view was my big advances till then had all been mainly due to healing. The wall is stamina and as we keep pushing we get tired again, all forgeting the progress made. Tho you my fit friend may not as I have a suspicion your stamina may not be an issue. But if it is have a good rant on here but it will come. Oh at that time also I have notice a fair few seem to get wee muscle or tendon tweeks just over extending but feel it a problem with recovery.

Legin THR Sep 14
 
We all hit the plateau well most. Its when progress is trundling along at a pace then suddenly hit the sticky bog and often blues set in. My view was my big advances till then had all been mainly due to healing. The wall is stamina and as we keep pushing we get tired again, all forgeting the progress made. Tho you my fit friend may not as I have a suspicion your stamina may not be an issue. But if it is have a good rant on here but it will come. Oh at that time also I have notice a fair few seem to get wee muscle or tendon tweeks just over extending but feel it a problem with recovery.

Legin THR Sep 14

thanks legin, so right now i am 3 weeks out and feeling good so far. i went for a 4.25 ml walk yesterday with minimum pain and swelling. yeah! but as i got towards home i was pooped. lol!! it feels so good to be moving without the banging pain. so i still don't understand how the peak and plateau of the energy drains come and go. i must be in the peak right now. correct? feeling strong though i get tired after a good workout which i expect to happen but i push through it and than rest after. How does this plateau hit though and when does it usually hit? and what does it feel? like a total drain like i have hit with these energy drains since i started pt and the gym. Everyone have a great day!!
 
with me it was I suddenly just felt tired, could be body is tired doing all the healing. But more its mentally as you are used to advances and suddenly they seem to slow up and become fewer. I then actually realised my stamina had gone but I was much slower thru the recovery process than you and had and still have issues regarding mobility. But I really do think with you ability to focus so keenly on fitness that it may not be a problem for you. I am amazed at your recovery but also worry you may just push too far. But only you and your knowladge of your physical condition can make the decision. But well done lass.

Legin THR Sep 14
 
I am surprised @healthgal46 that you want to run again or that your doctor has okayed running as I thought it was hard on the joints. I used to run when I was younger but quit because my joints and back hurt. I have been Nordic walking for twenty years and find it can get my heart rate up when done properly without the strain on my arthritic joints. I walk with a group of 9 women from age 48 to 70 and we usually go at a 5 km (3 mile) per hour pace. It is pretty flat where we live so easy hiking and we usually go from 5 to 10 kms. We cross country ski in the winter anywhere from 10 to 30 kms a day so we keep pretty fit all year long. I'm the first one with a hip replacement! haha
Actually when I was 62 I won a 5 km running race here without doing any running before - only Nordic walking at a good pace so it does get your heart rate up. I m so anxious to get outside soon and be able to hike with my friends but I know it won't be until July. It has been a long cold winter. Like you I have to learn to be patient.
Diane
 
  • Agree
Reactions: IMs
I am surprised @healthgal46 that you want to run again or that your doctor has okayed running as I thought it was hard on the joints. I used to run when I was younger but quit because my joints and back hurt. I have been Nordic walking for twenty years and find it can get my heart rate up when done properly without the strain on my arthritic joints. I walk with a group of 9 women from age 48 to 70 and we usually go at a 5 km (3 mile) per hour pace. It is pretty flat where we live so easy hiking and we usually go from 5 to 10 kms. We cross country ski in the winter anywhere from 10 to 30 kms a day so we keep pretty fit all year long. I'm the first one with a hip replacement! haha
Actually when I was 62 I won a 5 km running race here without doing any running before - only Nordic walking at a good pace so it does get your heart rate up. I m so anxious to get outside soon and be able to hike with my friends but I know it won't be until July. It has been a long cold winter. Like you I have to learn to be patient.
Diane


hi Diane well I love running and more like jogging and I will be going but lots of lessons mileage and my doctor did approve it as long as I produced the mileage and he also recommended that trail running is good, I have to find some trails around here but I'm not giving up on it. thanks for your input
 
Hi Healthgal - I've read your thread but can't remember what method you had...did you have anterior? I am 56, was a runner and equestrian for many years but delayed the surgery (for years) because I didn't want to have a revision in my 70's or 80's (but hah now, wish I had done it). I went to an extremely well known surgeon, and he really advised me that if I ran, I would definitely be diminishing how long my implant would last.....which made me very sad. Has your OS given you similar precautions? Curious. I can give up the horseback riding (well...no jumping and galloping), but had the NY Marathon in my bucket list...:praying:
 
Good luck @healthgal! I hope you are able to run. I love running but can't do it anymore.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom