THR day 2 post op

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi all update and questions to ask. Day 10 out and just moved up to using a cane ( starting to work on balance) did 2 walks today totaling up to 45 mind or 3.25 miles, hurt a bit but not the overdoing pain. Seeing my Dr on Monday for 2 week post op and most likely be starting pt outside of home. Yeah! Now what I want to know is how does the thigh muscle shrink or lose so fast, I am a fitness nut and seeing how loose and lack of muscle and definition ND also I wish I was a little mini mini me and go inside my body so I can see what is actually going on there during the healing phase. Lol!
 
It sounds like you are doing very well and pacing yourself. I'm proud of you! The sad fact about muscle tone is that it does go fairly rapidly when a person becomes more sedentary. The good news is that any loss of muscle tone is temporary and rebuilding can start when your recovery is complete. You'll have it all back and you'll have a great new hip too!!!

Be sure you're keeping up your nutrition (lots of healthy foods plus protein). There are good threads on this in Poppet's nutrition forum.

Nutritional Snippets

Nutritional Advice
 
Hi Health - good with the walks and move to cane! I too went to cane after a week. I am now almost at week 4 and walk without cane inside. I think I'll be able to walk without it shortly (or so I am hoping!). Please don't stress too much about the muscle loss. I too was doing this. Just remember to focus on healing quickly and positively....you'll get that muscle back in no time! I personally was freaking out about not being a part of my weekend hiking group....and well....I just have to resign myself that I need to heal first. I'm a bit type A, so I find myself taking lots of short walks outside (and my dog loves this!).

I really believe the bonesmart matras work....take it easy, listen to your body, ice and elevate...and sleep when you can! You will get there and afterwards....be stronger than ever!

xo Sheila
 
It sounds like you are doing very well and pacing yourself. I'm proud of you! The sad fact about muscle tone is that it does go fairly rapidly when a person becomes more sedentary. The good news is that any loss of muscle tone is temporary and rebuilding can start when your recovery is complete. You'll have it all back and you'll have a great new hip too!!!

Be sure you're keeping up your nutrition (lots of healthy foods plus protein). There are good threads on this in Poppet's nutrition forum.

Nutritional Snippets

Nutritional Advice


The nutrition part is so so appetite comes and goes, noticing since walking and doing some exercises appetite increasing and not happy. Tomorrow is my first day to go back to gym
 
Hi Health - good with the walks and move to cane! I too went to cane after a week. I am now almost at week 4 and walk without cane inside. I think I'll be able to walk without it shortly (or so I am hoping!). Please don't stress too much about the muscle loss. I too was doing this. Just remember to focus on healing quickly and positively....you'll get that muscle back in no time! I personally was very out about not being a part of my weekend hiking group....and well....I just have to resign myself that I need to heal first. I'm a bit type A, so I find myself taking lots of short walks outside (and my dog loves this!).

I really believe the bonesmart matras work....take it easy, listen to your body, ice and elevate...and sleep when you can! You will get there and afterwards....be stronger than ever!

xo Sheila


I think I overdid on the treadmill walks and just did a few reps of a new exercise for pt and I am feeling it, ugh,
 
The nutrition part is so so appetite comes and goes, noticing since walking and doing some exercises appetite increasing and not happy.

Your body needs a lot of energy to heal from surgery. It's good that your appetite is increasing. That is your body's way of telling you that it's working on healing. I would suggest listening to your appetite and giving your body what it's asking for. If you aren't taking in enough nutrients, especially protein, your body will start breaking down your muscles to get more energy. I'm sure that's not what you want at this point.



Sent from my XT1060 using Tapatalk
 
o something lighter or even ask him if Naproxen or Aleeve is better and can work with. i hate pain meds. yuck!!

I have found Aleve (Naproxen sodium) to be very constipating for me. I have been on it long term to manage the arthritic pain. I've been getting prunes from Trader Joes, and 5-7 per day is about what it takes to offset 1 Aleve every 12 hours.

My surgeon reccomends 650 mg Tylenol every 4 hours, 440 Naproxen every 12 hours, and lots of ice, and narcotics as a last resort.
 
overdid on the treadmill walks
stunning to think of you on a treadmill at day 10. What an inspiration - even if you did overdo it - that is a great warning for us to remember, so thanks for the good mind picture! It is so good to hear of your progress.
 
Gal of health. You will always push yourself and ask questions of yourself you have more than shown that in previous posts. But treat it as a new exercise program that utilises muscles not much used before and when body says woah there gal and you feel shattered its merely a wee rest till the next bout. You set very high targets and in many ways thats good and helps you to feel good when you achieve but this is different its like doing exercise buton a heavier gravity.

Legin THR Sep 14
 
Day 12 and been cleared to drive and gym.yeah! 2 quwstions, what does everyone consider as over doing it I have high expectations for me and him back into this may just surgery is still a hard adjustment but after I saw what my leg look like yesterday I was like wow but I am going to slow down u_c_i want to go to the gym today on the 13th but I figured I will do some light exercise around my house and go from nice walk with my dog and continue to ice it as needed and rest but tomorrow be another day what I am learning isn't any type of exercise I do send to send the area and information but it's not because I'm over doing it it's because my body is like wow! I am eager to get back to my normal routine as I have done PT exercises beforehand so I also realize that while the muscles are very weak still because my physical therapist has shown me simple exercises such as standing leg raises and all along I never realize that I was using my upper body muscles to get my opposite good leg out for simple leg raise and she told me that you need to do proper posture and core to tighten the muscles as well as not leaning towards the bad leg to use a good muscle and I was doing that and now I am more wear and she told me that the reason you're doing that is becausemy healing leg is not strong enough to hold me
 
oops second question I am reading a lot of posts that everybody becomes really fatigued after the slightest thing I am fatigued and I ask myself its like why am I so tired after I slept good or after our walk I get fatigued
 
so how does one know when the recovery is completely done yes the outside of the surgery area it heals faster than the inside but how does one know how long it takes
 
Hi @healthgal46
So glad you are cleared to drive, it will make so much difference. My OS was more cautious and said 6 weeks which felt like an eternity.

The healing seems very incremental also haphazard to me! Josephine has done a chart showing the projected time it takes. Some things we can tell such as, what we can comfortably do and how it feels. I guess there is no way of really knowing how the bone is healing inside or how the internal wound is healing???

My problem is that I can do things and not know if I am overdoing it e.g. my first walk up hill and I felt fine, that is until the next day when I had ceased up and took several days to be able to walk easily! I find I cannot tell if I am over doing it until the next day when I cease up.

It feels like trial and error - do a bit and see if you are okay the next day, if so do a bit more. If not do less next time.

What I find difficult is there are no straight forward answers for most of what we ask, about restrictions, about exercise, about driving etc etc. all up to the individual surgeon and the individual who has had the hip op - i.e. not very scientific.

The fatigue does feel strange as it it the opposite of our pre op norm. But it is our bodies telling us to rest - totally alien to us of course! You are doing amazingly for 12 days post op - hang in there, I am 10 weeks post op, feel younger that I used to, can do more now than I did for the past 2-3 years. Keep us posted!
 
:thumb::happydance::cheers:well i must say a few things. having adhd is a handy tool at times. i just went for a nice walk with my pup and than started feeling the tightness and started getting sloppy when i was getting tired or shall i say my leg. so i stopped and came home. took my other pup out for a chase the ball play time around my cul de sac and than chilled for a bit but noticed how nasty my floors are from the previous owner putting layers and layers of wax on the floors. when we moved in we thought it was just the pattern on the floor. nope! so i did about 40 mins of scrubbing on my knees and phew! i pooped out!! but i have to go mop that area now so my pups and cats don't lick or walk on the bleach. lol!! i have a few more proud moments to share that i have noticed while walking today out in the crisp air with the sun and birds chirping away. talk soon!
 
Sounds like you are pacing yourself very well! And I love your word picture of the springtime!!


My phone sent this using BoneSmart Forum, clever phone!
 
i am trying its not easy jumping back into the way i want to be. i am so lets get back to the way i was when i feel great one day and than i am now feeling out what makes it swell more today gym day yesterday increased walk a bit more minor sweilling nothing bad, stiff yes achy a bit today but lets see how bad it gets today. no and i am not talking i am going to go gun hoe on it today but going to start putting in some light leg exercises of pt will let you know later all. time for some breakfast. this gal hungry!!!! lol!!! have a great day everyone!
 
Welcome to the other side. Easy does it - slow and steady will get you the best result. I'll post your recovery articles here for you to refer back to during this process:
First are the BoneSmart mantras ....
- rest, elevate, ice and take your pain meds by the clock
- if it hurts, don't do it and don't allow anyone - especially a physiotherapist - to do it to you
- if your leg swells more or gets stiffer in the 24 hours after doing it, don't do it again
- if you won't die if it's not done, don't do it
- never stand when you can sit, never sit when you can lie down, never stay awake when you can go to sleep!
- be active as much as you need to be but not more than is necessary, meaning so much that you end up being in pain, exhausted or desperate to sit down or lay down!

Pain management and the pain chart
Healing: how long does it take?
Chart representation of THR recovery
Dislocation risk and 90 degree rule
Energy drain for THRs
Pain and swelling control: elevation is the key
Activity progression for THRs
Home physio (PT)
Post op blues is a reality - be prepared for it
Myth busting: on getting addicted to pain meds
Sleep deprivation is pretty much inevitable - but what causes it?

Here you go
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom