THR day 2 post op

Status
Not open for further replies.
Euew lol. Don't know how anyone can eat them.

I did something weird. I ate that with homeaid Apple butter.
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Hey HGirl- sorry that you got the blues early on....I didn't really feel them until week 3 - and it was probably because I didn't progress in the way I thought I should have.
Be good to yourself. And yes...the recovery is harder than the surgery....
But we are here for you....and, it will get better.
Hugs to you...
 
Hi Healthgal, just checking in because it's 12:22 over here in Germany and I' having a lunchbreak from work. So I thought I might look things up in bonesmarkt. As regards your depressed feelings, I can fully relate to
you. Haven't had my surgery yet. When I learned that I needed left hip replacement, I was in a very despondent mood and thought how come I'm so ill now and have to deal with osteoarthritis? I've always been so healthy and fit and also did my best to keep fit and not to gain weight. But I realized: It's not my fault.

You have also been working hard on staying healthy and not gaining weight. That's a good thing. So you will recover more easily than s.o. who neglected exercise and keep fit. I will have my surgery next month. We will both recover well. The only thing is we must be aware that this is recovery is a more long-term thing - like the proverbial marathon vs. the sprint, it won't happen from 1 day to the next. Trust me, I was so disappointed when a surgeon (not the one where I'm having the operation done) said no more running/jogging. But I can do alternative forms of exercise: long-distance cycling, open-water swimming, hiking and many more. I look forward to doing them all - and doing them better than now - because the pain should be gone by summer. Believe me, we will both be healthy and fit and return to our sporty selves. Meanwhile, if things are getting you down - like was the case with me last Friday when someone at work made a stupid remark about my limp - so if they're getting you down: Try and think of happy things - things you can look forward to such as: Spring is coming. It's getting warmer and that makes recovery easier. You can already walk a fair distance - the spring-flowers are sprouting, ...or even somthing banal like the next nice cup of coffee ....etc. etc. Hugs from
C.
 
I suffered mightily from depression during my first recovery. There were times that all I could do was sit in the chair and cry. My husband would ask me what the matter was, and I'd just cry more. I've had several surgeries, and this one was, by far, the most difficult emotionally. It was even more difficult than my surgery for breast cancer. I think the assault on the body from the way the surgery has to be performed contributes to that.
For me, just knowing that the sadness wasn't unusual helped a great deal. I was frustrated because I couldn't read during my recovery. I just didn't have the mental ability to accomplish it, and I'm a librarian, for goodness sakes. I found that very easy crossword puzzles helped me a lot. I also played Candy Crush and other simple games on my iPad. That helped me steer my mind elsewhere, if even for a little while.
Make sure you stop by here often and vent and let us know how you're doing. I found my Bonesmart friends to be my greatest resource during that after surgery time.
Lynn
 
:flwrysmile: Stopping by to see how you are doing . . . as you know, I had the crazy crazies after first surgery starting at about day 5 so I well know how these issues can make recovery that much more difficult . . .

Remember to breathe .... after all that's all we really HAVE to do
Remember this is NOT going to last forever ..... we will feel better
Remember to cherish those lucid feel better moments . . .
Remember to combine those moments and you'll have two! and maybe even three!

:friends:We can do this, I think I can, I think I can, I think I can

[Bonesmart.org] day 2 post op
 
@healthgal46 we seem to have derailed your thread, sorry!! But we are all here sharing experiences. I'm thinking of you and hope that you can feel somehow the presence of light at the end of the tunnel! :) it is truly there!!


My phone sent this using BoneSmart Forum, clever phone!
 
Day 9 and today I have been on the go around the house, walked on my treadmill for a bit, tidied up some chores and did some exercises and I must say I am exhausted to the end. I am or my body n mind re in overdrive. My pt says for a week out I am doing good. Using 1 crutch outside and just me inside as long as my leg doesn't tire out. My spirits are p and down but finding I keep busy whether walking or exercising to a specific limit till I can get back to the gym next week. We'll going to crash n relax. I hope to sleep tonight because I didn't sleep much last night
 
Wow @healthgal46 you are well and truly in progress. It is so complex this roller coaster but you are finding ways of really going forward!
Copsham x
 
Great @healthgal46. You sound less depressed now! And using one crutch outdoors and no aids indoors - that's phantastic. Keep up the good work. How much do you still need in the way pain meds? You are progressing fast, indeed. But please don't overdue it. That would be a shame. I can tell from my own experience. I'm goal oriented. I got told off by family & friends. I like long-distance sport - have finished 10 marathons and tried the Frankfurt Iron Man (I did half because I got disqualified after the first 96 kms of cycling - didn't quite make it within the time limit required). While endurance sports helps me cope with stress, I tend to stretch it to the limit and when I'm exhausted, I tend to deny it.
 
We all find our way to meet our needs. I had to be mobile as soon as possible. Dr had an fit when I told jim I went to shops on crutches, also back in my kitchen. Heaalthgal no warnings as they will go weeeeee overhead but glad you are recognising when tired. Oh btw I would have list of chores and spread them thru the day to help tiredness and boredom .

Legin THR Sep 14
 
Day 9 and today I have been on the go around the house, walked on my treadmill for a bit, tidied up some chores and did some exercises and I must say I am exhausted to the end. I am or my body n mind re in overdrive. My pt says for a week out I am doing good. Using 1 crutch outside and just me inside as long as my leg doesn't tire out. My spirits are p and down but finding I keep busy whether walking or exercising to a specific limit till I can get back to the gym next week. We'll going to crash n relax. I hope to sleep tonight because I didn't sleep much last night

Hi Healthgal46, I'm following your progress. My best wishes to you because I know it's hard. I hope that you find a new normal which is acceptable --I know that's going tobe my challenge. And I'm depressed now and I'm still 33 days before surgery -- not looking forward to even. more depression. I'm just trying to hang onto the notion that after recovery i won't have chronic pain which I know has so badly affected everythng.

I'm looking forward to hearing that you are truly on the other side...
 
Cindy hang on to the fact of after recovery you can walk without ows and suddenly its hang on I just walked up stairs or bent down, no thinking about best way to do it justa mormal movement.

Legin THR Sep 14
 
Wow @healthgal46 you are well and truly in progress. It is so complex this roller coaster but you are finding ways of really going forward!
Copsham x


yes i am, its just hard to really listen to the body after this type of surgery. but i am in full tune. i worked out with treadmill and some pt exercises yesterday and did some floor cleaning and i was pooped in a good way, by the end of the day my body was like ok, lady, we did good but now i want to rest. i did just that but my body was so tired in a good way that i slept like a little baby!! :0)
 
Hi Healthgal46, I'm following your progress. My best wishes to you because I know it's hard. I hope that you find a new normal which is acceptable --I know that's going tobe my challenge. And I'm depressed now and I'm still 33 days before surgery -- not looking forward to even. more depression. I'm just trying to hang onto the notion that after recovery i won't have chronic pain which I know has so badly affected everythng.

I'm looking forward to hearing that you are truly on the other side...


hi cindy i am hear if you want to chat or need advice on how to get ready for the big day!! it was easy for me before the surgery. afterwards is the hardest for me
 
Great @healthgal46. You sound less depressed now! And using one crutch outdoors and no aids indoors - that's phantastic. Keep up the good work. How much do you still need in the way pain meds? You are progressing fast, indeed. But please don't overdue it. That would be a shame. I can tell from my own experience. I'm goal oriented. I got told off by family & friends. I like long-distance sport - have finished 10 marathons and tried the Frankfurt Iron Man (I did half because I got disqualified after the first 96 kms of cycling - didn't quite make it within the time limit required). While endurance sports helps me cope with stress, I tend to stretch it to the limit and when I'm exhausted, I tend to deny it.


hi constanze, i am learning when and how to avoid the pain meds. right now i am only working on taking the oxycontin the 12 hour span with Tylenol and not use the oxycodone in between. these drugs are nasty in all ways. i want to ween down off of them. have my 2 week post op next week and if he asks if i need any refills i am going to ask him to downgrade me to something lighter or even ask him if Naproxen or Aleeve is better and can work with. i hate pain meds. yuck!!
 
hi cindy i am hear if you want to chat or need advice on how to get ready for the big day!! it was easy for me before the surgery. afterwards is the hardest for me
Thanks! I may just do that.

Question for all, how do you reply to a thread without quoting a message? I'm a forum newbie

Thanks.
 
Make sure that you are logged in and then scroll down the screen to where you will see write your reply. Write your reply then click "post your reply" voila - ignore the grey boxes that say quote this message
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom