THR Damn glad that's over!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Still have all restrictions in place, but he did say that at my follow up appointment on the 27th he would put me at 50% weightbearing for about a week and then off the crutches. Yay!

Hi Tammy,

I saw that you were asking about how to go from NWB to 50% in someone else's thread. Let's tag Josephine; and she can give you more direct advice here in your thread to refer to.

Sounds like you are coming along nicely and I'm sure you'll be happy to have the rest of your staples out tomorrow!!

Take care,
Cardie
 
The way to do that is a little bit at a time and as much as you feel comfortable with. That's all.
 
Tammy,

Are you feeling like a BS junkie?!?!? I've been on pretty much all day since hubby's been watching football. I have it on for white noise but am not paying too much attention.

:snork:
 
Thank you Josephine.

Yes dede62, I am. But what a nice way to spend the afternoon....hanging out with new friends found here on Bone Smart.
 
Hi Tammy, glad to hear your progressing. My OS said issue with showering is standing without falling. I have a waterproof patch and they want me to have a shower seat. Also an issue stepping in and out of bath tub (shower/tub combo). I found lovenox injections easy if you slowly inject the medicine. I've been on coumedin for over 6 years and have had to resort to injections for various medical procedures. After surgery, I'm back on the coumadin tablets. It's curious why they still have you on the injections. It's been a week since surgery and I walking around (with walker) pretty good. Tomorrow, I go on a road trip with pt (actually just walk up and down the street). I can only say it's amazing to be pain free.
Good luck and keep us posted.
 
sissy46, how well you know me already! I was out shopping again today with one of my daughters. Then, in a moment of weakness, we went by the Farmer's Marker (your fault) and picked up some cajun-style boiled peanuts and watched the first 3 Twilight movies. Sat around the local Starbucks and people-watched for a bit today as well. I'm sure you went somewhere fabulous today.

I will be sooooo glad when they lift the restriction on weight-bearing! I can't wait to be able to.....do more :)

limpingaround, I too was curious about the Lovenox. Not sure why my doctor kept me on those injections but didn't require the TEDS past the 2 day in the hospital. Probably because I am non-weightbearing. Who knows.

Hope everyone had a great Tuesday.

Tammy
 
Damn! I knew it! Glad you're feeling good and getting out. Wasn't it nice to see the sun today?:egypdance:and the rest of the week looks really fine.

Yeah, I went somewhere fabulous today---to get my teeth cleaned and some other necessary errands. Tomorrow I have the pleasure of taking my 15lb Percy to the vet for his annual exam and shots, and then going to a classical music lovers meet up group in the afternoon.
 
sissy46, the sun was sooo nice to see. It was absolutely beautiful outside today. After a nice hot shower this morning, it was great to be able to throw on a pair of shorts, t-shirt and sandals and head out without worrying about being cold.

Sorry you weren't doing something fabulous. Although my dentist is a VERY HANDSOME man. Makes getting my teeth cleaned something to look forward to. You know what they say...you can look at the menu, you just can't order:angel:.

Going to start cooking some of the Thanksgiving dishes tomorrow to reduce the work load on Thursday. Yum! Even though I am still non-WB, we put a stool in the kitchen where I can sit at the kitchen island and prepare some of the dishes. I am really looking forward to eating dinner on Thursday.
 
Had a lovely lunch out with a girlfriend. She came by the house and picked me up and we went to a place specializing in Island food 'mon! It's called Bahama Breeze. I had a delicious glass of sangria (only one since I am still on blood thinners). One of my daughters met me there and she drove me home. Kind of reminds me of being a "carless" teenager again...having to coordinate my rides before going anywhere.

Just have a bit of incisional pain left, with kind of an ache beneath it. It is tolerable. What I am finding the worst is the thigh pain I am experiencing on the outside of my thigh about 2 inches above my knee. Imagine how cold your legs get when you are outside in a freezing rain....now imagine someone who is freakishly strong rearing back and slapping you in the thigh as hard as possible. That stinging, burning pain! That's what my thigh feels like 24/7. Has anyone experienced this? Does anyone know how to best treat this? I've tried ice, heat, massage and pain meds and get no relief. I find myself looking for handprints :gaah:.

In any case, I hope that everyone has a wonderful, relaxing and painfree Thanksgiving.

Tammy
 
Tammy
Glad you had a nice outing today. Sounds like fun...

The pain you have really sounds like some sort of nerve irritation. Hopefully it will resolve sooner rather than later. You might check in with your GP to see what they think. Something like gabepentin might help.

Hope you have a restful night. Try and behave yourself tomorrow.
I solemnly swear I am up to no good...
 
Dede, this nerve irritation is really irritating. It's not horrible when I am just sitting here...more of an awareness of a tender area. Then, if the blanket falls on it, or I put my hands down on it without thinking, the pain will take my breath away. It's terrible. However, I am not letting it get me down.

Now, about the solemn oath you want me to take...um, nope! You know the saying "when I'm good, I'm good. But when I'm bad, I'm great!" Sometimes life is way more fun when you are trying to be the BEST bad example you can be. :angel:


All kidding aside, I learned early on that life is too short. In the blink of an eye you can have a life-altering experience. For example, when I was a young and stupid 25 year old, I had a boating accident that left me with a fractured spine and a neuro and ortho who told me I would never be able to walk right (if at all) again. At the time, I was divorced with a toddler and an infant. There was NO WAY I would or could allow those doctors to be right. I worked my butt off with my physio. Not only did I walk right again, I went on to ski, run, work out, play softball, sky dive, bungee jump, etc. I lived with pain for the last 20 years. I had an implanted drug infusion pump (morphine pump) for almost 15 years. Then, a miracle worker performed some reconstruction on my spine last summer. Six months later, I felt so good that I had them remove the pump. Unfortunately, 8 months later, my ortho dropped the bomb on me about needing a new hip STAT! 2-1/2 months after that and here I am! One year from now I KNOW that I will be playing softball and working out again.

Sorry to be such a buzz kill...but wanted you to have a little background as to why I try to squeeze the most I can out of life.

I have so much to be thankful for this year including meeting all of my new virtual friends here on BoneSmart.

Tammy
 
Just have a bit of incisional pain left, with kind of an ache beneath it. It is tolerable. What I am finding the worst is the thigh pain I am experiencing on the outside of my thigh about 2 inches above my knee. Imagine how cold your legs get when you are outside in a freezing rain....now imagine someone who is freakishly strong rearing back and slapping you in the thigh as hard as possible. That stinging, burning pain! That's what my thigh feels like 24/7. Has anyone experienced this? Does anyone know how to best treat this? I've tried ice, heat, massage and pain meds and get no relief. I find myself looking for handprints :gaah:.

Hi Tammy,
Let's tag Josephine; for her opinion on what you are describing and then you'll have an idea of what to do next.
Have a nice Thanksgiving and great idea on putting a stool in the kitchen to work off of.
Take care,
Cardie
 
Cardie, thanks for the suggestion to tag Josephine. This thigh pain is driving me crazy. Happy Thanksgiving to you and yours!

Tammy
 
Damn! OMG, you really are a warrior! You've been through so much and have such a great outlook. You are definitely my she-ro! Not a buzz kill at all, but an inspiration.

How long has that thigh pain been going on? It does sound "nervy." I have had weird sensations and pains in my thigh, but not consistently in one spot, and not that intensive or aggravating, or 24/7. How on earth are you sleeping? I hope Josephine checks in today. Have you called your OS about this? I know mine wants to know anything that's going on, says to never hesitate to call with questions.
 
sissy46, the thigh pain has been a consistent issue since awakening in the recovery room. I mentioned this to my surgeon when I saw him last week, but I only got an "um, hmm" from him. I certainly did not pick this doctor for his bedside manner. My spine surgeon highly recommended him. I spoke to the PA in the surgeon's office yesterday about the issue, and all she had to say was that some thigh pain was not uncommon. I have a follow-up appointment on Tuesday afternoon.

Thank you for your kind words. While I am happy to have been seen as an inspiration, my intent was to manage my pain, not let my pain manage me. For the most part, I have succeeded.

I hope you have a wonderful Thanksgiving day and enjoy this beautiful weather.

Tammy
 
Damn! You know, "some thigh pain" is what I'm experiencing from time to time, but that doesn't begin to describe what you've been tolerating and they need to do something for you. I'm sure Tuesday can't come fast enough.
Since you won't be driving today....have one or two:cocktail:
 
Congratulations! Luckily, my blood thinners were pills so I didn't have to stab myself! :yay: But sounds like you are doing well. Since I was in a rehab on my fifth day, they were able to cover my wound with plastic and I was able to shower (shower chair, of course.)

I also had little pain after the first 24 hours, but they did make me take pain meds before the three types of PT I had to do, so that's normal. The thigh pain you had I didn't, but I had horrendous knee pain after a week or so. So I am not surprised that there is report of pain elsewhere.

I loved reading your story and it only gets better from here! :happydance:
 
DanM!: You have been through some amazing recoveries and that explains the fight you have within. You are such a strong soul and the best part is that you are able to extend that strength to others through your actions. I'm glad to have met you through this forum. I truly hope you can find relief soon. We're all pulling for you to have the most successful outcome possible. If hou don't have one already, I would suggest you find a pain management specialist as this is the exact thing that they can help resolve. I owe so much to my pain doc as I don't know how much longer it would have been finding out what was happening with my hips. We were both very persistent and he told me that he'd be there for me no matter what it took to get things worked out. So gather your a-team and I'm sure you'll have relief soon.

Hope you and your family have the best Thanksgiving ever!
 
Hey Damn!, so sorry to hear about your thigh pain! I'm sure Josephine will chime in, but in the meantime, have you looked at the threads about Meralgia paresthetica? From what I remember, it sounds a bit like your symptoms. BTW, your story is not depressing at all, it is all the more inspiring! I can't believe you were doing crossfit after such a serious injury. Crossfit is one of those things i have wanted to try but not been able to for various reasons, maybe when I am more recovered!

Glad you got to go out with your friend. We have Bahamas Breeze here, too, although the last time I went was with the Oviedo,FL relatives. Love their food! I like your comment about returning to high school days, it is so true! I am trying to figure out who I can get rides from to take me to the pool. I suspect I will be driving in a week or two, but I am not quite ready. I think I could move my foot between the pedals quickly enough, but worried about enough force if I need to slam on brakes. Ah well, it is more social to have to ride with others.

I hope you have a great Thanksgiving with all your family and strays! My dad was a professor, so we used to adopt quite a few of his graduate student strays for holiday celebrations. They tendered to be the international students, so it was always really fun, as they would typically bring a side dish from their home country. Fond memories!
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom