THR DallasSarah post op update!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi seeing we are talking about the benefits of water, I posted this link on my own thread, but will also post it here. It is an interesting read:

www.watercure.com

Certainly made me think more about my fluid intake :)
 
Ah, the old rubber glove trick! I was doing that ........ :skeptical: ............. well, a long time ago!
 
Sarah, it sounds like you are doing so well! My dogs can tell something is wrong with me but don't know whats wrong. I'm thrilled to see them and that all walk by for a pet on the head

By the way you had asked on my thread what my real name was, it's Buffi.

Take good care of yourself!
 
Hey Sarah, Glad to know you are home. No matter how nice the nurses are, it is always nicer to be around familiar things. Unless of course there are problems in the poop department, then nothing is nice. I failed to fully heed the recommendations and paid for it a few days after coming home. I'm going to try the warm water trick and see of it helps to cut down on meds.
 
Hi Buffie - hope you are well today!

Today was an odd day, I was very sleepy this morning, little appetite and basically slept in bulk of morning it comes over like a wave when I get sleepy very all of a sudden.....yesterday I was up for the bulk of the day so maybe I was just tired!

Wow my little drama today was telling the home health company how horrible they are......wow! Short version, I've been home since Thursday night, the PT guy came Friday did paperwork but also told me his assistant would probably come out to see me but he wasn't sure. So my question today is what was the point of him coming out? Then the home nurse who was meant to come Friday came today around 1pm again just did paperwork plus there is consistent side line comments about how long my recovery is gong take. They are all over the place and basically, without me sounding mean, my Dr is the one with the game plan not these new people. Little disappointing. Without sounding like a cry baby, I am calling my Dr's office Monday to see if we get this organized. My grumble today sorry!

Somethings I'm laid back but on things like is I hatelike folks who are not professional. Grrrrrrr! Plus who wants tons of strangers prancing around the house.

By the way neither one of them took a look at my bathroom to see if it was set up secure for my hip. Wouldn't you think they usually want to see basic safety things in place? Just thinking out loud! My biggest grumble, they are filling out this paperwork and they both ask me who my Dr is and I'm thinking, he wrote the orders you don't have copies of this? Just seems like a lot of busy paperwork which could be done before they show up, I would think, exercises, taking my blood pressure, taking blood for Coumadin, checking on my diet for old would be more of concerns! Ahhhhhhh I'll stop hahahaha

Great afternoon! Had nice wash down, and spent afternoon with puppies watching them goof off feel better this evening not as tired.
 
Sorry youre havoc the home although care drama. What a pain in the butt! I completely agree, they should know who they're there to see, why and who told the to be there. I've never been so thrilled to have my boyfriend here to help out!

How is you appetite? I know mine is almost nil but at least now when I do eat it doesn't make me sick.

Have a great evning,
 
Hi Sara and Buffi

The good bits of being home or in familiar environments are the icing on the cake.

The worse bit are trying to deal with the different professionals that seem to work in silo rather than as a team...

You will sort it out on Monday Sarah, you are one determined lady.

Buffi, great that you have you boyfriend with you. It makes a difference.

Happy healing you two :) :)
 
Buffi sorry! I ask for your name then don't spell right oyyyy let's blame the Percosets yummy!

I cannot believe i am 6 days post surgery.

I'm not worried about home health, it's just disappointing
You can see why insurance companies get annoyed but can also see the other side too.

Happy healing everyone!

xxooxx
 
Hi Sarah,

I had a similar experience on the first visit from both the nurse and PT -- paperwork. Just part of the insurance bureaucracy... try not to expect to much of the home based nurse, they are just there for very cursory evaluation since you have been fast tracked out of the hospital. Doubtful they will have much interest in your diet -- they want to know what meds you are on and to check that you don't have an infection at your incision until they get the staples out. I only had 3 visits from a nurse but didn't have to take a blood thinner so none of the pro-time monitoring. It's not the same level of care that you experienced while you were in-patient.

If you have questions about how your bathroom is set up the person to ask will be the PT. The PT is better versed in the precaution related items and will help make necessary adjustments to shower seats, crutches and watch you get into and out of the bed properly for your exercises. I don't think they evaluate the home for safety items for the younger patients, I got a little brochure about that sort of stuff. I hope you find your next appointments more helpful. Glad that you had some therapeutic playful puppy time, that's always helpful & doesn't have to be billed for...

Take care,
Cardie
 
Sarah....do be sure you're taking stool softeners consistently each day. With the prescription pain meds, you NEED that to be able to go. It may also take prunes or prune juice. Keep experiementing to find what works for you. What you DON'T want to do is strain...that's not good for you.
 
Yep those pain Meds play havoc with the digestive tract... Good advice from Jamie...
Don't forget to keep up the fluids though

Lol xxxx
 
Sarah,
Sorry to hear about the homecare frustrations. Can't believe the PT ONLY did paperwork the first day, unbelievable! Hopefully you will get some good out of it next visit. Re: safety Be prepared for a visit from an OT, whose job it is to assess safety. Mine came a full 10 days after my return from the hospital at which point I had already discovered on my own any household dangers and corrected them. Ridiculous! But at least he was professional.
Do let the agency know of your concerns, but I think it is also important to not let yourself get stressed out over expections. A good question for the therapists coming to you might be, What is your role in my recovery? I think it is important, and sobering, to know the difference between what we know we need and what they see as their responsibility. I like my PT, but even he said, "You'll get better care outpatient. More coordinated and comprehensive." So, like his job is to get me ready to go outpatient.
Good luck with everything.
 
Happy Sunday!

Nice day, I did get my exercises done this morning, probably will do another set later tonight. I walked a lot more today, plus found myself pushing the walker and walking left, right with no pause not sure if that makes sense but it felt good. My balance and confidence has improved immensely, tomorrow will be my first day alone but I'm not worried at all I'll be fine!

Thanks for all the advice on the poopy stuff! I have been drinking lots of water which is good, just peeing every couple of hours, I'm not worried about poop now.

This time last week was getting ready for the Monday surgery and wow here I am all done! Hope everyone is having a nice Weekend!

Sarah

xxooxx
 
Yes it makes sense with the walker. You sound like you are doing really well. You do sound confident and that is a good thing.

It sure feels good to have it behind you doesn't it? Now you can just move forward and keep getting stronger.
 
Hi Julie,

YES it's great to be sitting looking forward to recovering finally! The light looks really bright too much more refreshing than before.

I feel groovy today, not as confident with the crutch but can definitely feel the difference on the walker in the kitchen today found I was walking away from walker to grab things. I have no swelling, I feel tightness around the incision area a thick hard the of skin but overal feels good. I'm still amazed I have no stitches I will eventually take a photo and post. My biggest wish right now is to have my hair washed but it's not the end of the world, will venture into the shower this week, I've been taking daily sponge style washes, the thought of standing or messing around in shower doesn't appeal to me, so Im wussy on things it's OK!!!

I have a feeling by the end of the week I will be taking much bigger steps and maybe not feeling like I need the walker that much....clever clever stuff!

All I need to worry about to getting better, my next OS appointment is Dec 29th...

Sending good wishes to all....
 
Hi DallasSarah, sounds like you are on the right recovery path. Enjoy your sleep, I truly believe it is a healing mechanism, a way for your body to remind your brain to take it slow and easy. I'm also happy that you are gaining confidence as you move about your house. Keep it up. I also think you will find the shower easier than you think. Do you have any kind of chair to temporarily take into the shower? That would help you, I think. Take care, b
 
I hear you about just washing the hair. I finally put my head in the kitchen sink just so it could be washed. Boy did that make me feel like a human again. I had staples, so hearing about not having anything on your incision is wonderful. I was not allowed to get into shower for a week, when I finally did, boy was that the best thing ever.

I got a shower stool from Amazon and sat on that and had help getting into and out of the shower which was really needed. I still to this day keep the shower stool so I can sit and shave my legs. :th_heehee: I have a walk in type of shower and not a lot of room in there, but the stool makes a difference and it was easier getting into there than the shower in the tub.
 
Sarah, sounds like things are moving along really nicely for you. Already feeling confident to take a few steps without the walker! That's fantastic! I hope you get to shampoo soon. It really does go a long way to making you feel human again. I really enjoyed just massaging my scalp for several minutes too, just to work out some of the tension from not being able to sleep in my usual position. Wishing you another great day"
 
Yes, a good shampoo and scalp massage will make you feel great!

How about shampooing in your kitchen sink with someone helping you? That's my plan until I can take a real shower.

Keep up the great work!!
 
I feel groovy today, not as confident with the crutch but can definitely feel the difference on the walker in the kitchen today found I was walking away from walker to grab things. I have no swelling, I feel tightness around the incision area a thick hard the of skin but overal feels good.

Hi Sarah,

What did your doc order in terms of the assistive devices? Do stay on them like he requested you have plenty of time to get the walking unaided going, let your hardware get settled in properly. Awesome that you don't have swelling, you are still using the ice packs throughout the day, they are your friend! :thumb:

If you cannot bend over comfortably to wash your hair in the sink give thought to the shower bench. It takes a bit of effort to get psyched up and into the tub for a shower (if that's what your set-up is) and you don't want to feel weak or icky standing naked in the tub.... Sitting down on the bench will give you the ability to just rest there for a bit before gearing up to get out. You'll feel like a million bucks after your shower, but may need to nap from the exertion -- baby steps....

How's your home based care going?? Did you crack the whip and get everyone working in the proper direction?? :th_heehee:

Take care,
Cardie
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom