THR DallasSarah post op update!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Morning Z,

Thanks! The 4 miles is broken up to 1 mile walks during the day, so it's not one long walk. In the beginning I would get sore, doing it gradually will be easier for you. I'm the naughty one not doing home exercises, just doing lots of walking outside with Miles. I need to start planning my out patient therapy I will call them Monday. I had read in one of your posts about your co-payment, mine is going to be $35 each visit which will add up quickly plus this was another reason for me wanting to wait a few weeks knowing I would be stronger and hopefully get more out of the sessions.

Oh my goodness the 10 canine commandments are just beautiful...love! I'm going to share that with some friends it completely sums up ownership. My girlfriend had said to me to never forget at the end of the day I am his entire universe and everything I do effects his little world, so true!

Happy Sunday!

xxooxx
 
Sarah,

I intend to be frank with my PT, who seems like a great guy, and let him know that I am a very good patient and will do what he asks me to at home...My hope is that he might we be willing to meet with me just once a week, assess my progress, and adjust my at home exercises. I need his expertise to assess, I feel like I need his encouragment and motivation less...

Glad you liked the caninie commandments. It's great when folks care for their pets with those perspectives in mind. It leads to the pets running the households (guilty) and that's ok by me...

Z :cat-kittyandsmiley:
 
Hi Sarah, when you look for an obedience class, have you tried clicker training. Link on recall https://www.clickertraining.com/node/309 The idea is fun, lots of repetition and never setting dog up to fail.

Gus loves learning new tricks etc. Better than lots of leash jerking, pushing, shoving etc.

Jo
 
Hi Jo,

I like the idea of the clicker and will read more about it thank you for sending the link. After I had written about Miles, i made a real effort making him sit alot more while we were out walking and he did really well. Plus we stopped a while and we worked on him coming to me still on leash. Hes a funny little boy even at home he doesnt come right up to me straight away and for a while he sits back, but again made an effort to call him and it worked. When I met him he sat about 200 yards away and just watched the world going by. I probably broke all normal buying a puppy rule book. Hes been worth it though, hes laying next to me now as I'm working fast asleep!

OK I need a reality check. I did also call my nurse to make sure I wasnt a total looney tune! They refilled a new prescription for me, when I picked up I had this weird guilty feeling that maybe Im taking it to long now. Im on hydrocodone 325/7.5mg lower dose than before. Heres my example this morning didnt take any finally around 2pm felt very sore so finally took 2. Last week I had been taking in the morning. Its been 9 weeks since my surgery, I feel good just stiff and sore when I dont take the pain pills. I probably need to make more of an effort to take advil right?? I will share this late this morning i did feel a little sweaty and I had this awful feeling I was having withdrawls is this possible??

Finally booked out patient rehab starting Feb 17th. Plan to do 3 times a week fun eh!! Hoping this will take me to a new level plus help me get off the cane.

Today is a good day, just a little mentally pooped I think im at that in-between mode I feel so good, but know I'm not completely healed. I do get sad when I read the painful stories, its a big reminder how fragile we can be. Im a fix it type personality and right now I feel OK lets be fixed now and move on, i want to go back to normal today please! Minor gripe-moan thats all sorry!!

Hope everyone is good today.

xxooxx
 
My dr's office just called back, that was quick! She laughed at me and said I wasnt to worry she would cut me off when the time is right LOL I am going to make more of an effort taking one pain pill and more advil during the day, she said this will help. She didnt seem concerned with me.
 
((((Sarah)))) I'm so glad your doctor's office got back to you quickly! And were able to reassure you about the medications. If you hurt, you still need the meds! Yes do try the Advil and/or Tylenol .... but if you still need the stronger one ..... well then you still need the stronger one :biggrin: IF you were getting dependent on the drugs (and it sure does NOT sound to me like you are) you'd be needing more and more of the medication - not less.

Miles is such a lovely dog - and a lucky little guy to have found you to be his forever Mom!!
 
Awwww Deb - thank you xxooxxooxx

Here's Mr Happy Miles hehehehe!
 

Attachments

  • [Bonesmart.org] DallasSarah post op update!
    New Image.jpg
    81 KB · Views: 149
Miles reminds me of a womble its a funny english character-characters. The were cute and very hairy! Brings back fun memories!

Last photo promise!
 

Attachments

  • [Bonesmart.org] DallasSarah post op update!
    Miles Back.jpg
    95 KB · Views: 134
Hi Sarah,
I liked the pictures of Miles. I have just started yawning so I think I need to sleep soon - but once I lie down I will discover it was a trick and I wont go to sleep at all. Like you I am ready to be better -NOW please. I guess its why we keep getting told we need to be patient. But I guess at least this side of the op we can be moving in the right direction generally, most of the time, hopefully.:doggieshmooze:
I now allow my cat to come clambering on to my operated leg. He really couldn't understand why he was barred previously. I don't think hes taken it too personally though. Progress gets measured in all sorts of funny ways.
Happy walking.
Gizmo:cat-kittyandsmiley:
 
Hi Sarah, tell Miles his virtual Mummy has been off line for a few days and hoped he didn't miss me too much (or you :) - but I missed you both.

Luvvvvvv the photos - he is growing?

I can see he fits right in with the white bed linen :)

Your Doc is right, you need the Meds, you need the Meds, simple as that... Still early days.

Lots of love
Sandy xxxx
Smoochey kiss for Miles xxxxx
 
Hi Jo,

I like the idea of the clicker and will read more about it thank you for sending the link. After I had written about Miles, i made a real effort making him sit alot more while we were out walking and he did really well. Plus we stopped a while and we worked on him coming to me still on leash. Hes a funny little boy even at home he doesnt come right up to me straight away and for a while he sits back, but again made an effort to call him and it worked. When I met him he sat about 200 yards away and just watched the world going by. I probably broke all normal buying a puppy rule book. Hes been worth it though, hes laying next to me now as I'm working fast asleep!

OK I need a reality check. I did also call my nurse to make sure I wasnt a total looney tune! They refilled a new prescription for me, when I picked up I had this weird guilty feeling that maybe Im taking it to long now. Im on hydrocodone 325/7.5mg lower dose than before. Heres my example this morning didnt take any finally around 2pm felt very sore so finally took 2. Last week I had been taking in the morning. Its been 9 weeks since my surgery, I feel good just stiff and sore when I dont take the pain pills. I probably need to make more of an effort to take advil right?? I will share this late this morning i did feel a little sweaty and I had this awful feeling I was having withdrawls is this possible??

Finally booked out patient rehab starting Feb 17th. Plan to do 3 times a week fun eh!! Hoping this will take me to a new level plus help me get off the cane.

Today is a good day, just a little mentally pooped I think im at that in-between mode I feel so good, but know I'm not completely healed. I do get sad when I read the painful stories, its a big reminder how fragile we can be. Im a fix it type personality and right now I feel OK lets be fixed now and move on, i want to go back to normal today please! Minor gripe-moan thats all sorry!!

Hope everyone is good today.

xxooxx
Hi DallasSarah,<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" /><o:p></o:p>
Your posts are great. Terrific attitude is likely to be a big assist to your recoup. I think it helped me too.<o:p></o:p>
You sound like a go-getter, like me, so I wanted to share my little setback as you approach your PT.<o:p></o:p>
<o:p> </o:p>
I had my THR, Oct 27, 2011. Was just shy of perfect at 10 weeks, when I started overdoing the exercises. <o:p></o:p>
Feeling nothing short of almost perfect, the 10th week the PTist cranked me up to 1.5 hr, from 1 hr. 2x/wk. She said I was limping a little [I had no pain so it was probably just a lazy walk after limping for 2 years]. <o:p></o:p>
I did as she told me and left feeling fine ... until that night when my thigh started to act up. I did not stop; I went back 3 days later because the pain passed. I kept the 1.5 hr routine up thinking "power through the pain." Well, 3 weeks of ignoring my body, it finally said STOP. Now I cannot walk at all without pain. Saw the Dr, the hip looks perfect; he said I overdid the exercising and strained my quad. <o:p></o:p>
Questions: Should the PTist have been watching me more closely? Was I doing too much? Was I doing the exercises correctly? Or, was it that she didn't listen when I told her I was in pain. Don't know. All I do know is I did not listen to my body. The "work through the pain" rule does not apply to surgical PT. I was not toning, I was RECOUPERATING! Dah!<o:p></o:p>
<o:p> </o:p>
This week I started doing mild exercises at home, put an ACE on my thigh [helps a bit, at least I can walk the dog around the block!]. I apply heat at night while watching TV, and am trying to wait patiently for it to pass, as I know it will. And, with your suggestion I am back on meds. I hate drugs and was trying to do without. Your post told me that's dumb with a THR 13 wks ago! 2-500mg Bufferin in the morning after b'fast work like magic for me. <o:p></o:p>
<o:p> </o:p>
Had I to do it all over again, I would definitely do the PT, but I would have listened to my body!<o:p></o:p>
:-)
 
Hi Jo, Gizmo, Sandy, Jen and thegiftlady.....

Miles does look like a little "toy" puppy and yes he is getting bigger Sandy hes still just under 20lbs. I promise he doesnt act like a toy hes a fun rambunctious playful terror at times. Then again this morning we were up early and our little routine is to go out then climb back into bed for about an hour with my coffee, YES and pain pills this morning he snuggled right up against my side and we napped OOOOO life is the greatest!

Im so glad you shared your story giftlady and will remember that when I start the therapy. NO way am I blowing mself out and getting into pain!! Im ok with subtle muscle aches but those days when you did example lunges and over did things and couldnt sit on the loo or hardly walk are completely OVER! Im not a bigtime atheltic type of babe and am not planning on entering the olympics so I just need some good stretches and nice and easy exercises to help on limp. I really am glad you wrote this. Thank you!

I'm glad my sharing also reminded you..me too we are still very early in our recoveries.

I still have two more walks to do today. Already though Ive done almost 3 miles, this includes a Costcos trip this morning and I wasnt exhausted either, plus I went alone and carried everything from car to the door maybe 4 trips back and forth....feel great too! 2 weeks ago it wiped me out...see we do improve with time.

Sending lots of good wishes to everyone!

xxooxx
 
Sounds like you are making great progress Sarah.:thumb:

I'm very impressed. You are very wise to build up slowly, I so regret overdoing it. I figure I set myself back by 6 months! :DOH:
 
Hi Sarah... Just a quick post during my lunchtime at work.. To keep in touch :)

You are doing fantastically well.. All that walking is Soooo good... I am wary of PT ...
Lots of love
Sandy xxx
 
Hi Sarah,

Do you have your PT clinic/person chosen already? It will be good to clarify your interest in the stretches and find out how they design their treatment plan. My experience has been (with other body parts in addition to the THR) that there is much focus on the measurement of range of motion in order to get insurance authorization and show improvement. Also, ask about the one-on-one focus as you are recovering from surgery and would like some dedicated attention vs. the group PT approach.

I did a Monday & Thursday schedule -- only 2Xs a week. I had enough other activity in the rest of the week and wanted to have time between sessions for soreness to abate. I don't regret having done PT, in fact it was the pinnacle of my recovery at this point! My only mistake was increasing my walking when walking had not really been a good exercise for me before surgery because I'm lopsided -- so I should have known better but did learn my lesson pretty quickly on that one...

I think you'll do fine -- heck you've gone to Costco twice already!!
Take care,
Cardie
 
Hi Sandy, Lisa,

You always post such sweet thoughts thank you, always appreciated!

Oh my goodness, after my baby session yesterday...I did push myself a little tonight and walked out last walk with my cane, did have with me but carried. Only 1/2 mile went very slow and really focused on not limping, I found if I relaxed the limp went away mmmmmmm! Felt good, will build on this now.

My great thought today was I'm just over 9 weeks since my surgery and when I think I was in pain with my hip for about 3-4 years. Plus I had to wait last year from July to Sept just to see the surgeon on his wait list, which seriously seemed like a lifetime!! Then Sept to Nov for surgery. Well DUH 9 weeks is nothing!! it puts everything into perspective well for me it does.

When we came in tonight I have to walk down this long stretch of a carpeted hallway it was only roughly 5-6 weeks ago I was wobbling down that hallway with walker! Pretty cool if ya ask me!

Happy healing everyone......

xxooxx
 
Sounds great, Sarah! And Miles is a little doll. I had to put my doggie down last August due to terrible illness and I miss him terrible. They are such companions. With all my issues now I don't think another one is in order for some time but maybe in the future will adopt. Keep up the good work and your unfailing attitude helps us all.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom