THR DallasSarah post op update!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi.....

Julie your new profile picture is great, I meant to say that when I wrote on our thread sorry!

Hi Cardie....we really had an in depth chat on the cholesterol my new dr said he takes Lipitor, I've been running high on this for a few years now, even when I lost weight and was walking before my numbers don't shift that much. He thinks if I loose some weight and really pick up walking maybe it might drop by 40 which still isnt enough, I'm sitting at a high 200. We made a deal if the Lipitor can regulate then in a few months we can revisit, also adding when I hit my weight goal we could stop Lipitor and if my numbers don't spike then I'm off it forever.

WEW I've had a super long day! By the time the day stops I've walked 4 miles, went to 3 shops, petsmart, supermarket and target! Plus my new walking routine now includes a pretty big set of stairs. Maybe 40 I'll count tonight my little fitbit hasn't updated for the day so not sure. I've done these stairs twice today only going up and a proper walk not one step at a time. YES I'm sore tonight, plus I cleaned my place it was so dusty icky! Did I say I was sore tonight hahahahahaha! Welcome hydrocodone mmmmmmmm!! Because Im being so good with all this walking my treat today was a classic 2 eggs, 3 strips of bacon, grilled tomatoes, and crunchy whole grain bread with butter! And a cup of real English tea (typhoo) with milk had this around 1pm and let say it hit the spot perfectly!!

I haven't walked this much in 3+ years and I'm soooooo happy! I'm now truly enjoying the reason I orginally got Miles, and he's loving the walks he's really a different dog with all this outside time. More mellow around the house! This fitbit gadget is cool too it's fun keeping track of the miles.

Tomorrow is my 2 month mark (8 weeks) and while walking I thought to myself how lucky I've been to be given my old life back, I'm hopeful it will continue to get better each day!

Love to all....

xxooxx
 
Hi Sarah I'm on my phone in bed so can't see whether you've posted a photo of yourself with your new haircut, but I just wanted to say that you looked fabulous with the old one! For some reason I had it in my head that you were a blond, so it was a surprise to see that you are a brunette, and slim and lovely too, in spite of all your talk about dieting. I'm sure you'll lovee having short hair though, and will look equally fabulous!

I'm soo glad you're out and about walking with Miles. Our doggy friends are so good at dragging us out whether we feel like it or not. Susie demands (and gets) two hours per day complete with chasing small furry mammals. No rabbits or squirrels - no deal! (but not deer - have you seen the vid in the social room? It's a hoot!
 
Hehehehehe Jane I just watched the video it made me howl laughing!

Thank you for the compliment! I'm not quite ready to shout out exactly how much I want to loose, well not just me the dr too! luckily I'm pretty tall and can hide my weight. The good news finally in my mid 40s I feel like I'm on a good track.

The dog walking is my idea of perfection. I'm not a huge athletic, exercising type of gal. My other passion and hope to venture back to it later this year is horse riding "dressage" entry level. When I was younger back home in England I use to show jump and my first real grown up job 17 yrs old was in Belgium as a live in groom taking care of some pretty amazing horses for a wealthy family! My car accident back in 1991 really took the wind out of my confidence, and fear set in bad. About 5-6 years ago went back to taking one on one lessons with this fabulous lady and enjoyed dressage. Then the hip started to act up and.....here we are today! I hope by summer I will be ready to try again!

Hope you are doing well.

Have a lovely week Jane!

xxooxx
 
Hey, riding is a distant memory for me too. Last time I rode was ar a pony trekking centre near here. I went with my friend Sara who is an excellent rider (must be the name, ha ha!) and asked for a narrow horse. Well I could ride him OK but I couldn't get off the poor creature, even with a mounting block. They had to lift me off in the end. I swore then that I would never ride again, but maybe, maybe...?
 
Good morning Sarah,

Just saying good night to you from OZ, I am hoping you are still snoozing with the new sleeping med. Have great day, chat soon.. Lots of love xx
 
Sarah

"..............I haven't walked this much in 3+ years and I'm soooooo happy! I'm now truly enjoying the reason I orginally got Miles, and he's loving the walks he's really a different dog with all this outside time. More mellow around the house! This fitbit gadget is cool too it's fun keeping track of the miles.

Tomorrow is my 2 month mark (8 weeks) and while walking I thought to myself how lucky I've been to be given my old life back, I'm hopeful it will continue to get better each day!.............."


To me this says it all!!

Its great isn't it

Well done

Dave
 
You are too funny Chef!

Dave yes isn't it great! I will share no way in h*ll could I have chased my dog if he went after deer like your video, and I'd probably use stronger language hahahahah! Yes again the gift to walk again is fabulous!!

I will admit I'm sore today, it's the kind of sore that one would get with or without a new hip. Today when we went out we took it a little easier just incase I'm really not in the mood to over do anything right now!

I do think sitting is part of the culprit though, after the morning of sitting back at my desk this is when I felt stiff. I would love to retire and just walk my dog all day about now LOL. I need to go and live on lots of land and be a farmer seriously! I'm as happy as a clam outside in the fresh air with nature. Here I am though Ms JR Ewing (Dallas) living the city life zzzzzzzz! I'm not grumbling promise!

Jane you made total sense how you got stuck on the horse the getting on and off had become almost impossible for me and yes that was with a mounting block, sad uh! Jane I hope you don't mind I'm copying your wish of walking that south west coast trail, that really does look like perfection. I think that would be lovely to take a month or longer to walk, and stay at great b&b. I'll have to look into how I get Miles into England. I did read somewhere dogs here in the US can get a special set of vaccines that allows them to travel into England without them having to stay in quarantine, not sure of details. I'm going to check.

Hope everyone had a good Monday!

xxooxx
 
Hi Sarah, I'd be delighted if you come and walk the SW coast path, either as your own adventure or joining me for some of mine. But I'm not sure that Mikes' little legs could cope. Is he aware that it involves climbing the equivalent of Mt Everest FOUR TIMES! My plan is currently on hold till 2014 at least, by which time Susie will be an old lady
 
Oh sorry, I hadn't finished. Anyway I wouldn't take Susie, but the plan was for her and John to do the first few days with me, and also take a cottage on the Lizard peninsula for a week or so in the middle of the walk so he can rescue me each evening and bring me home for a hot bath and hot meal, then deposit me back on the path the next morning. Now he has suggested I do a challenge for Marie Curie Cancer Care next spring - hiking the Grand Canyon! As a warm-up to the SWCP! Not convinced I'd be ready for that, but a girl needs to dream...
 
Jane..really!

Not sure I would make that hahahahah! Hopefully one day though, Miles is pretty tough and is full of energy....I would love the idea of letting of his leash to run free, that's if he came back to me. He's only a baby 14 months old. Really not sure though. We'll see. Cornwall and Newquay is another part of the "world" I lived in when I was younger 18-19.....I'm the total gypsy! Its a beautiful part of the country!

That's a great goal to have to be bale to walk that though...I admire you! Hope you are well today!

xxooxx
 
think I'm going to give up trying to post from my phone - so many typos that I can't correct. That was supposed to be 'Miles' little legs', not Mike's!
 
No worries Jane....

I'm the queen of typos! The best thing is my girlfriend yesterday text me and called Miles .... Ed? Silly iPhones I have to forgive her especially because she named him Miles.

Yes maybe we can walk it together, you never know!

Thank goodness after being a bit of a baby around 4pm boy I was tired and sore, after relaxing a little and yes taking couple of my pain pills...we ventured out for our 9pm walk and did the long mile walk and felt great. I'm on a lower dosage of the hydrocodone and really trying to now use Advil, however not getting crazy if I need a prescription pain pill, it definitely worked this afternoon with my aches!

Night Night everyone....

xxooxx
 
Walking four miles and climbing staircases less than two months after a hip replacement is terrific. Hope you have a restful night Sarah!
 
Hi Sarah,
Wow, you are really walking up a storm. And you sound so happy and energetic in your posts. Could we have imagined such speedy progress back in November? .... So glad you are doing so well.
 
You are doing so well, Sarah! I love your stories about Miles and his walkies :) Pity my cats refuse to walk on a leash - and I have tried to teach them - It would be such fun to take them out walking ..... of course they'd probably be as far up the nearest tree as the leash would allow :cat-kittyandsmiley:
 
Thank you Jen, Anita and Deb,

Morning y'all......

I feel a tad guilty I really don't do any kind of exercises apart from the walking which we all know I love! I do plan to start the out patient therapy end of the month and figure 'll be doing tons of muscle building then.

I'm thinking back to the earlier days after the surgery, how I would wobble outside with him, the cane and would be terrified of either dropping his leash or tripping over myself, or him. When you live in a midrise there is no other option, also remember though I did have help for the first few weeks in walking him too. Once my confidence picked up the walking kicked in and right now not looking back!

Hope everyone is feel well!

xxooxx
 
Hello Sarah, can I ask you a delicate question? Does Miles poo at all?? Reason I ask is you only mention his pee walk, and never the other thing. My problem is getting down there to pick up the poo!!!! John bought me a poo picker upper, but I can't manage my stick, the dog on a lead and the poo picker upper, so I've reverted to just using my stick, planting that in the ground and doing the golfer's reach to pick the wretched stuff up with the usual poo bag and plastic glove. I always hope Susie will do her business on the bank by the side of the road so I don't have to bend down so far!

Pardon me for mentioning it!!
 
Hello Sarah

Just to clarify - video I posted is not of me or our dog.

It was a video a family member referred to me as they thought the reaction of the owner would be exactly my reaction in such circumstanses. How true!!

I have realised since that the video is quite famous with nearly 5,000,000 hits on youtube!! I didn't realise.

Fortunately around here on the Lancashire coast there are no herds of deers - or anything else. However, when we holiday on the English Lake District there are sheep roaming about and Bertha needs to be kept on a lead or else!!!!

Best wishes

Dave
 
Miles never poops!!

I'm laughing so hard Jane! It's a serious topic though and seriously that was by biggest fear when he came home, well I had two....managing leash and bending over to pick up poo. I've had no problems with the golfers reach, I've been doing that bend really from the beginning with NO fear my PT gal taught me. The only thing remember originally my new friend Jack was walking Miles and his main poo time frame fell into his walking time slot. I was going to get one of those scoopers but it would be impossible to use cane, leash etc. I was cautious where he poops in the beginning I can tell when he's ready so would steer him into very flat grass surfaces Ohhhh dear this is so funny to talk about, but these are serious topics. I know I go on about my walks with Miles I'm completely convinced he has been a huge part of my therapy and because Im single, live alone there were times early on I would head out for the walk and be scared I would drop leash, loose him , trip over him......also run into a larger dog of the leash (very sore topic we live in a leashed area but not everyone conforms) I did have one situation where a very cute big yellow lab came running over to play with us, LOVE labs but you never know if they are going to jump up or get all silly and I screamed at the owners to grab their dog.

Earlier on in my threads and I know I've babbled a lot, a big part of my recovery has been getting back my confidence, loosing the fear of what if while still be cautious. Wait this is funny I also remember Josphine saying hips naturally work themselves out and knowing in England they are not big on the PT part I took that as if my hips will heal on their own without exercising and basic movement hahahahahahaha HEY that's my story today and I'm sticking to it!

Dave, another memory the lake district my grandparents would take me there for my annual holiday trips as a child. I know this is quirky to admit I think this is another reason I sooooooo appreciate Bonesmart it's reminded me of home and brought back a warm fuzzy sense, does that sound lame? As I'm typing another place I remember as a child is Longleat Zoo. My grandparents took me all over England for holidays! Without confusing everyone Jane this is why your the trail looks so glorious too! Boy after 46 years I'm finally becoming a silly sentimental fool isn't it lovely!

I didn't think that was you Dave. Wow that is a lot of hits!

I'm completely digressed now and now thinking about more countryside back home! But wait I also know its wickedly cold there right now! It's 65 degrees here today we are planning for some serious rain shortly. So I will throw on wooly hat, boots and we will get wet for a while!

Back to work for a while, not much longer! I've been really good at shutting down and not over working which is also very refreshing!

Byeeeee for now!

xxooxx

PS sorry to be repetitive I think it's the enthusiasm and pain Meds hehehehehe!
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom