THR DallasSarah post op update!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Kevin,

Thank you for sweet words!

It seems like such a long time ago my car wreck, 1991. A life changer for sure, if you met me you would have no clue, ive learned to live with a couple of quirky disabilties...my knees only bend to about 100 degrees..very minor in the big scheme of things. I always was grateful for recovering and having my legs, knowing there are lots of poeple not afforded this. I was in hospital for months, 5 weeks in ICU because of the Liver lacerations. I got to meet alot of patients who were having a tougher time. Wow this also reminds me when i was on the orthopedic floor in traction i always had a room mate and I think I had about 8 hippy room mates all over the age of 90! I was there for months because my left femur was shattered. Out of all my bone booboo's the main concern was my liver that would have killed me. I busted my ribs too ouch!

Oh my goodness back then I also smoked and was allowed to smoke in my room because I couldnt be moved. EWWWWW isnt that gross thinking about it now. Dont panic I quit smoking back in 2010 very proud of that one!!

Ohhh worse even i remember when you could smoke on an airplane OHHH awful!! sorry digressing now....

I wish i had this website back then, its always good to know you are not alone going through a situation. Fast forward to now im hoping my hip being replaced is a conclusion to my accident. My OS here does feel it was post traumatic based then wear and tear over the years.

I will also share there are many stories on our website that completely put my life into perspective all the time, and Im grateful for in one sense having it easy! The recent accidents i always cringe, plus childhood diseases. Even you with TWO hips ohhhhh we are all in the same boat and relating which brings comfort!

Bye for now.....

xxooxx

PS the smoking thought really was nasty uh!!
 
I was on traction in '93 for 3 months and the nurses used to pull the curtain round for me and open the window so I could have a ciggie! It just would not happen these days - thankfully!

It was the fact that I knew I wouldn't be able to smoke in the hospital grounds that enabled me to stop last year. I'd got cigarettes in my bag, plus a spare pack and didn't put myself under pressure to quit - I just thought I'd take it one day at a time......................and here I am 378 days later!! :yahoo:

After smoking since the age of 14, this is the longest I've gone without a ciggie. I gave the unopened pack to my brother at Christmas. I've stopped before but always had cravings that I ended up giving in to - not had those this time around. And, now I've done over a year I can apply to have my life insurance premium reduced:snork:
 
Loved your reply Lisa.....

We are twins on the smoking deal! Congratulations don't you feel great not smoking? I was the same started around 14-15 I needed a little help chantix I didn't take for the entire 12 weeks but it definitely helped curb my first few weeks. I was mortified when I did the homework assignment on their website I realized I had smoked for 32 years, scary uh! I had my last ciggy Oct 21 2010 and have never looked back. Plus the money saved oh my goodness!

To tell people now you we smoked in the hospitals is horrifying isn't it!

I feel by quitting smoking that anything is possible, that's a huge accomplishment. Yay!


xxooxx
 
Fantastic Sarah and Lisa on the quitting the ciggies well done both of you :)

Now if only I could give up my coconut chilli chocolate - NO WAIT coconut oils Sooooo good for you, so I don't have to feel guilty..

Big smoochey kiss and cuddle for Miles xxxx
 
Morning y'all.....

Sandy - Miles is waggling his tail sending back lots of xxooxx to you!

I'm shocked it's already Thursday this week has flown by....welcome back to work routine!

My fitbit is pretty nifty. I know it doesn't sound like much I tracked my walks yesterday with Miles and it came to 1.5 miles. This weekend I will increase slowly....love these little gadgets it uploads the information into this clever dashboard, you can also log your daily food intake, water and it has a journal.

Work time....

xxooxx
 
Hi gorgeous Sarah and Miles

Luvvvvvv those gadgets, I looked it up to see if there is a supplier here in OZ... Couldn't find one..

Hey Miles, you have to stop your funny dancing and digging and pushing your nose into the mud... Think of Mummy's white sheets, she can't be washing every day, Heheheh!!

Lots of love to you both xx
 
Hi Sarah, just finished washing one large muddy dog after a walk in the woods, so I do sympathise! We have to do that on a daily basis round here - legs, tail and undercarriage get filthy. And when you can't bend cos of your hips, it makes life quite difficult. So I get Susie to put her front paws up on a wall in the garden so I can get at the undercarriage without bending down too much. She knows she's not allowed back into the house until all is clean and towelled dry. She always does the 'mad dog' routine after being towelled - I don't know what sets her off, but she runs round in circles like a puppy, just like Miles eh?
 
Hi Jane,

I love knowing you are out and about walking Susie! Isn't it the best feeling.
Yes Miles has those "mad dog" moments very funny. He had a really big hair cut a few weeks ago and luckily that is helping with the mud, plus he doesn't get as stinky when wet. He's just a raggedy muffin sometimes. It never bothers me though, I think we are just meant to cater and live in their little universes and this makes me smile!

My annual-physical went really well, all my blood work came back perfect. Plus my hormone levels are excellent, darn and I thought my mood swings werehormonal grrrrrr nope! Now I know the last 7 weeks my eating habits have been atrocious, however last year I was eating super healthy my cholesterol was high and refuse to not come down, for now we are going to try Lipitor, we are both leaning towards the idea it might be in my family and not a eating health thing. My sugar levels are perfect too. Grrrrrr according to his scales I actually gained 16lbs not 10lbs which still doesn't stress me, I've had a good week settling back into my eating routine and with the added walking now I think in the next few weeks and months all will fall back into place. We did talk about me using more advil and less hydrocodone as long as I was not in pain. He also prefers I take a sleeping pill instead of pain pills. For years I've struggled with sleeping, last year I quit sleeping pills, now since my surgery I cannot quite get a good nights sleep and basically I'm getting up every 2-3 hours to pee. I have some samples and will try this weekend instead of pain pills, I think I was leaning on pain pills for the sleep routine. Because all my blood work was good I'm not anemic he feels my day time naps could be more related to not having a good nights sleep. This dr doesn't give me the hydrocodone pills those come from my OS
However I feel confident if I needed any kind of help with pain he would help me, this was my PRE surgery testing dr and he also visited me daily in the hospital and put me on Percosets my OS was not a fan of Percosets. So between them I'm in good hands! I still need to loose more weight above the 16lbs, I feel good about this next chapter of my life and committed to doing this!

Oh here's my big decision today! Getting ready for the drs my hair just has been annoying me its pretty long, permanently pinned up on my head grrrrr! Tomorrow I made an appointment to get it all cut short, I did stop over to my favorite hairdresser he said I was glowing and looked great, also younger so we giggled and I said watcha think are ya game and he said YES! Sooooo short hair here I come. I think it will match how I feel, very light, happy and not wanting to be dragged down by things. Low maintenance feeling hope some will relate to this feeling it's a good one! Im sharing this stuff because before the surgery its really becoming obvious to me how unhappy I had become, it really had weighed me down and was a serious damper on my personality. No more!!

Sending lots of love to all...

xxooxx
 
Oh Sarah not the short hair cut because you don't want to have to take care of longer hair:hate-shocked:. I'm sure all the women - and I mean all of them - will be on me for that one. Please reconsider.

Regarding the Percocet or the hydrocodone I guess I shouldn't give my opinion but going to sleeping pills instead of either sounds like a good idea if it works for you. I'm not sure what a good nights sleep is.

Um, Lipitor, welcome to middle age. I've been on it since my 30's. My body tolerates it well and I hope your's does too.

And don't fret about those 16 pounds. Keep active - Miles should help with that - eat right and everything will work itself out.

You are you. People need to appreciate you regardless - but longer hair would be better..:biggrin:
 
Oh Chef....

Did I really make it to middle age Oh Dear your right!

Yes short hair it is, its very liberating to cut the hair off and always remember it can grow back. The classic is because im in the beauty industry i have access to all teh bestest hair products, shampoos etc...so if I regret I can always get myself a wig. I wont thought.

Im going to try the sleeping pill tonight to see if I can sleep right through. I know you have said about sleeping is tough for you I relate to that and we (dr) got into a big chat about it. Sleeping Pills are softer than pain meds. In the past my issue was falling asleep once in the sleep I was out for a good 6-7 hours. Since surgery i can dose into the sleep but Im up every few hours to pee Im getting use to it I think, however I do thik a solid sleep would be better!

I'll keep ya posted!

xxooxx
 
Hi gorgeous Sarah... Luuuuuvvvvv the photo!

Just yelled out with glee to significant other.... Sarah has posted a photo... He first said 'who is Sarah'.... Cheeky thing... Then he looked and said. - 'oh, you mean Dallas'!!

I think he just has Dallas stuck in his head because, he looks up the weather/time for heaps of our BS friends nearly every day...

I love your photo.. I agree with you - go short, sorry Chef! This is the new Sarah, so time for a new haircut...

So sorry you are having problems sleeping, especially when a lot of our healing takes place during those sleeping hours.. I do hope you can get some relief from the sleeping pills..

His (Dr's) scales are wrong, tell him he needs to get them calibrated!

Yep, middle age.. But isn't the new 50 = 30 now! etc.... That's what all my friends keep telling me!

My virtual puppy will fix that weight problem, I am sure it will start to drop off with more mobility (and less carbs, babe) :)

Lots of love
 
You are both sweet Sandy and Chef,

Wowza I've just slept 8 hours and only got up once around 4am. I tried a new pill he gave me a couple samples called "Edluar" never heard of it before, they are sublingual and watch out they kick in quickly. I did feel a little groggy this morning then we bounced outside for our walk super slow and now I feel better. I did also take 4 advil this morning, I guess I'm going to see how I do without hydrocodone.

Sandy you and your hubby are funny! I had this photo up for a while then when I got all marshmellowy about Miles switched it up. Hair cut YES later today woooohoooooo!

Hope everyone is having a good weekend!

xxooxx
 
Hey Sarah -

Just getting caught up on your thread .... lots to read !! Like your avatar photo, but wondering .... do you have that "glaze" painted on your license plate that blocks out the flash from red light cameras ? Cool.

Glad you are home making progress.

Kevin
 
Yooooohooooo!

3.75 miles today! Plus 3 flights of stairs because elevator was down earlier. I will admit this evening took two pain pills, first ones since last night. I'm sore right now,

Kevin my photo was taken at 5am on my way to airport leaving a fabulous vacation in Spain, that was my rental car. It was dark maybe the flash knocked out the plate. I also love you are doing well!

Ok my hair lost about 8 inches OOOOO it feels beyond amazing, it's probably about 3 inches now very light and feathery low maintenance for sure! I feel 10 years younger. Once I get a good photo will post, I hate taking pictures with a passion!

Super great day! Love to all....

xxooxx
 
Fantastic! Good day all around...

Nothing like a new hairstyle to cheer a girl up.. Can't wait to see the new Sarah. - no reason for bad hair days now gorgeous xxxx
 
Never mind Chef,

Sarah is having a 'aahh' day with her new hair cut aren't you Sarah?
 
Hi Sarah,

I am betting that once you get your exercise routine underway more fully, in a few months time, that your cholesterol numbers will drop and your revised eating habits may help in that process as well. I am certainly not a doctor, but what if you waited on the Lipitor for a while longer and tried the other stuff first???

Congrats on the big haircut -- short hair is fun!

Take care,
Cardie
 
Can't wait to see the new picture of the new hair doo. It's always so nice to have that done. I know what you mean about pictures, I'm the same way. Never been fond of having them taken.

Keep up the great work, you are doing so well !!!
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom