Guest viewing is limited

THR Cstreet on the other side

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ah, you're taking an Tylenol/codeine mix? That tablet has 30mg codeine and 300mg Tylenol. I suggest you take one of those and 2 regular Tylenol. This will give you 30mg codeine and 950mg Tylenol, a much better dose.

In my experience, codeine and Tylenol is a much better medication for the kind of pain generated by hip replacement surgery. Other surgeries like knee replacement, need something stronger like Percoset, but not THR.
 
Well I am still on percoset. I have the Tylenol with codeine as well but when I tried two weeks ago it did not cover the pain. Should I try one percoset plus an extra strength Tylenol (500mg)?

How do percoset and Tylenol with codeine compare in terms of pain management?

Tonight I am dropping the oxycotting at night as well. Every other night for three days. That's what my Drs office gave me for the taper.

Today during the day I was not as tight and pain was controlled with just the percoset. I was taking it just about every 4 hours.
 
Well, go with what works, I always say! I'm just saying that in the UK we rarely use anything more than paracetamol and codeine for THRs and it's usually very adequate.

I have this chart of opiod conversions using 10mg morphine as the base line. You can judge for yourself. But all drugs work differently in different people.

[Bonesmart.org] Cstreet on the other side
 
Six week update:

I am making good progress and can see week to week improvement but I think I had some unrealistic expectations going into this. I thought with my age and going with the direct anterior approach I'd be walking in no time.

With getting extra leg length (I wanted that to make up for a lld) it means I can't get my leg straight still but it's getting really close. I have been stretching everyday and its a big improvement over my first week out. I am hopeful that another few weeks and I'll be able to get the leg straight and put more weight on the leg.

I am getting around well on crutches, I was on them for close to a year as a teenager and it was like riding a bike.

I was on a combination of Oxycottin and Percoset for the first 5 weeks which did a great job of covering the pain. For the first two weeks it was making me sick but zofram took care of that and I was able to get off that by about three weeks. Now within the last week I am off the Oxycottin and the pain is still under control. Now that I am off the Oxycotting I have a clearer head, more motivation, and much less constipation. It was a big help but I won't miss it. I'm taking 1 Percoset + 1 extra strength tylenol every 5-6 hours now.

I started PT yesterday and was lucky to get someone that is very senior and nice to boot. I think she went easy on me the first session so I keep coming back :). One thing she did which did not feel good at the time but really helped was masaging my incision and the mucles around it. It felt really funky and uncoforatable but now the sensativity is way down and I have been less bother having clothes rub on it.

I started back half-time two weeks ago at work. I'm working about 2 days a week in the office for a half day and then the rest remote. I have a deskt job so the most effort is getting to the bathroom or a meeting. Still I get to be tired by the end of the day. So I'm going to stay half time for another 3 weeks or so.

I started driving this week which was great. My co-workers were great about giving me rides and of course my wife as well carting me around everywhere. But I did perk up once I could drive again.

So I am feeling like at 6 weeks I'm turning the corner. Once I can get my leg straight and get walking on my own I'll be over the moon.

And one last thing while I have some pain, no more bone on bone hip pain!!!
 
Well, no matter what your expectations were, I think you are doing really well!!!
 
Wow cstreet! For 6 weeks you are going alot. Glad you are taking the phased approach to returning to work. Keep up the great recovery!
 
It's been a learning experience for me in reading your posts as you are a couple of weeks ahead of me in this process. Nice to see how well you're doing now and that you're pain seems to be better controlled. And it's amazing how much freedom driving yourself gives you, isn't it? Be well..

~Dawn
 
You're doing really well cstreet, and you will see a big difference between now and 12 weeks, especially once you start full weightbearing. :dancy:
 
I think I had some unrealistic expectations going into this. I thought with my age and going with the direct anterior approach I'd be walking in no time.
Sadly most people do this. I hate having to be the one who has to try and tell people otherwise but it's a necessary task. Most people just think I'm being a party pooper but it's the truth.

Nevertheless, as everyone else has said, I think you are doing splendidly anyway. All power to you my friend.
 
Thanks everyone, this site and the people on it who have gone through this journey and are going through it have made it much easier.

I did a 7 hour day at work today and I am beat. I am trying to stick to half days as much as I can but we had a big meeting with people from out of town in.

Tomorrow I'm just going to be in bed most of the day and I'll take my mid-day nap. If I could do a midday nap at work I would be all set :th_heehee:
 
Sounds as though you are doing just fine for only 6 weeks

I can relate to so many of the points you raised

Unrealistic expectations, getting freedom back behind the wheel!, feeling knackered after work even when returning part time etc

Just think of the progress you have made in that short tome since the op

Regards

Dave
 
This weekend I tired some different pain medication strategies. I am now taking 1 percoset about every 6 hours usually with 1 Tylenol extra strength (500mg).

So then I tried 1/2 a percoset and then 1 Tylenol and even 1/2 percoset with 2 Tylenol but that did not cover the pain. The next day I tried 2 Tylenol with codeine but it made me feel a bit loopy and did not cover the pain totally.

I'm wondering if I need to try the switch longer? I noticed when I stopped the oxycotin I had some more pain for a day or two and then it went away.

Does your body adjust like that or am I over thinking things?
 
Forgot to mention my crazy withdrawal symptom is craving chocolate like crazy. When I cut down to the 1/2 percosets on Saturday I was eating chocolate ice cream and chocolate chips my wife had for baking :).
 
Hi cstreet, I am not a medical expert but what I found was I needed a steady stream of meds to keep the pain controlled. Adjusting the doses constantly won't give you this.

I'll tag Jo and see if she can give you input on your dosage. @Josephine:
 
Sheesh, cstreet! Stop switching around with those meds! You're not giving them a chance to work properly. These meds need to build up a base in your system to be able to do the job. Decide on one and stick to it.

Besides which, you are not in withdrawal! You've not been taking any of them long enough for that. So you can't blame your cravings on the drugs! You've been watching too many television cop shows!
 
In the case of the percosets I was cutting down on what I was already taking. So should I give that a longer go then or just try again in another week or so.

I'll stop watching the cop shows :). But the chocolate craving was crazy!
 
I think you just need to not worry right now about cutting back. When the time is right, you'll be doing it on your own. You'll just forget to take a dose on time here and there and you'll know you can start spreading out the time in between doses.
 
Jamie
You are right, I think I'm getting a little too focused on the medication. My OS's PA and my GP were both steering me to cut back. And once I dropped the oxycottin I felt a lot better so I think I'm just a little too motivated to get off the pain pills.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom