Guest viewing is limited

THR Cstreet on the other side

Status
Not open for further replies.
Cstreet you appear to be coming along dandy and will look a cool dude with that new cane.
 
This week I continued to make good progress I can walk around the house without any aids now. My gait is still funky because of my tight mucles but making progress on that front. Still seeing week to week progress. I am going to try out our treadmill this weekend and see how that goes.

I made the mistake of telling PT my exercises were easy so now I got some new much harder ones, feel the burn! I have an international business trip at the end of October so I am motivated to get more mobile for that.

On the getting off the percocet front I got tapered down to around 8mgs a day this week and yesterday took my last dose. Hopefully getting off this won't be too bad but so far not pleasant. Feeling really jumpy with insomnia but have been given ambien to help with sleep and some Valium for the jumpiness. I find it's really hard to sit still when the jumpies hit.

Kicking myself for not being more aggressive on switching to codeine earlier.
 
I am going to try out our treadmill this weekend and see how that goes..

Sounds like you are making great progress cstreet. Easy does it on the treadmill won't you? If those muscles are still tight they may complain a bit.

I made the mistake of telling PT my exercises were easy so now I got some new much harder ones, feel the burn!

This is something we can all learn from! I too mad this mistake. Unfortunately even the best PT can take this to the extreme. Be sure the speak up if things get too "heavy".

Don't beat yourself up about the meds. You could not have predicted your reaction. But you are doing the right thing and tapering off gently.

Well done!
 
I've made it through the worst of the percoset withdrawals. The first 3 days were not fun. Not terrible but I was super agitated and could not sit still, also really irritable. Hot showers and a low dose of Valium helped. Now I just have mild nausea and insomnia. Ambien helps with that last one. Percocet was great when I needed it but happy to be done with it now.

Tylenol seems to be covering the pain well enough for now hope that holds as I increase activity.
 
:thumb: Tylenol is a great analgesic. You do know you can take 1,000mg at a time, don't you (to a max of 4,000mg per 24hrs)?

In the UK people never think of taking anything else. The general otc products are 500mg and we always take two!
 
So sorry about your reaction to to Tramadol cstreet. Sounds like you have things back on track though. Just shows how different we all react to these drugs.
 
I've been taking the extended release Tylenol at night. It's 1300mgs over 8 hours. Which works well. During the day I'll use the 500x2.

Any thoughts on interleaving with Advil when needed? I tolerated advil well before surgery usually 800mgs 3x a day on the weekends.

Still feeling some mild withdrawals from the percocet 7 days later but nearly there.

At this point I think my mucles are stronger than before the replacement. I could not stand on my bad side for even 2 seconds and now I can stand for about 20 seconds x 10 reps. It's great. It's a funny feeling since I could never think of doing that with my old bad hip.

Just need to get the mucles stretched a bit more so I stop walking around like Frankenstein :biggrin:.

Yesterday my PT put me on this alter-g treadmill. You get into this funny pair of shorts and zip into the treadmill and then it blows up with air to reduce your body weight. I walked for 8 minutes which was great. They are trying to get me walking right after compensating for the bad hip for so long.

Anyways i'll stop babbling now. Making progress still which is good.
 
That penguin walk is embarrassing no? US therapy equipment certainly is fascinating! Keep at it cstreet! You are inspiring.
 
cstreet you are not babbling! We love your updates. You are making some great progress!

You can take ibuprofen and tylenol together but I will let Jo give you the correct quantities @Josephine:

Keep at it!
 
Absolutely take ibuprofen with it! It's a great combo. Maximum doses per 24hrs are Tylenol 4,000mg and ibuprofen 2,400mg.

Funnily enough, one of the UK's largest drug companies has recently brought out a 'new' analgesic which they've called Noromol. Contents: ibuprofen 200mg, paracetamol 500mg and recommended dose 2 tablets 3 times a day!
Think they've been reading BoneSmart? :th_heehee:
 
Keep up the good work Cstreet...Moving right along :thumb: ! Isn't it amazing how differently prople rect to medications? I am all but immune to percoet, yet other families like Lyrica, methadone, gabapentin to name a few, make me swell up lika a balloon! Very strange..:skeptical:

And the feeling I got from Tramadol I hope to never experience again! You were wise to wean off the way that you did. Smart man :thumb: !
 
Janet's right - we all react in different ways to meds.

I can take Tramadol, codeine etc but can't take NSAIDs due to gastric bleeding.

Vive la difference!
 
Quick update. I can now soap my left foot in the shower and cut my own toenails. My range of motion now feels like its back to preop levels. I can't sit cross legged which is no big deal.

I am walkin without the crutches in the mornings now. I am slow but can get around ok at work.

I am going on 13 hours of plane rides today split about in half with a layover which will be interesting. I was able to fly business class which should help. This is a work trip at a company trade show with lots of walking around. So I rented an electric scooter for getting around the convention center. I am not super excited about this week but will have plenty of help.

Hope all is well with everyone and your recoveries.
 
Hey cstreet - great to see you here again. Thanks for the update! Sounds like you are doing very well.

Good luck with your trip. Hope you can grab some rest when you need it!
 
CStreet said, "Just need to get the mucles stretched a bit more so I stop walking around like Frankenstein .

Yesterday my PT put me on this alter-g treadmill. You get into this funny pair of shorts and zip into the treadmill and then it blows up with air to reduce your body weight. I walked for 8 minutes which was great. They are trying to get me walking right after compensating for the bad hip for so long."

Hi CStreet,

How is your PT going??? I had heard from you a while back in my thread and our surgeries were close in time back in July.

I'm doing some treadmill at my PT now, not a fancy one like yours though, and it is helping me to be able to get some good range of motion going. I'm still having some "wandering" back pains -- for a long time it was at the SI joint area and now seems to be moving up a bit and also settling into my shoulder area. I think this has to do with my LLD and the 1/2" correction that the surgeon made, my whole right side is trying to stretch out and untwist.

Congrats on the toenails & crossing the leg, I've gotten there too with a few twinges left! Funny the things that we appreciate as our healing progresses. My pirate gait has morphed into the Frankenstein walk -- less listing from side to side and more stiff arm and leg movements.

Hope all goes well on your trip!
Take care,
Cardie
 
Great to hear how well you're doing! I think it's probably a good thing not to cross legs in the long term, specially now we've weaned ourselves off because we weren't allowed to!
 
I think it's probably a good thing not to cross legs in the long term, specially now we've weaned ourselves off because we weren't allowed to!

It's funny you should mention this viv. My OS said to avoid sitting with cross legs just because it's not good for the circulation. I remember this because he was sitting that way when he said it and quickly corrected himself! :th_heehee:

Cstreet - just keep working on that ROM. It does come but sometimes it takes awhile.
 
C Mac
Sounds like we have the same stretching fun going on. Things are progressing with PT. I did 15 minutes on the alter-g treadmill. I'm slowly adjusting down the "help" it gives me. My back has gotten much better over the past few weeks. For me it has all been lower back pain and only really when I am walking without crutches.

My PT said that my back gives in before the muscles that are tight on the front of my pelvis/hip. That is getting better so then lless issues with the back.

I survived the day of international air travel. I was getting carted around in a wheelchair which helped a lot and had some co-workers on my flight who helped as well. I was getting up every hour or so for a quick stretch and the seat when flat which helped a bunch.

I'm at this trade show now and rented an electric scooter to help me get around. It works well but they don't seem popular in Spain where I am right now so lots of people giving me funny looks. It has a loud beep when you back it up like a delivery truck which really sucks. Won't be a fun week but I've kept my schedule light. I've going to have the "but your so young for a hip replacement" conversation about 1,000 times this week :).

This whole experience has really given me a new perspective on how tough it is for people that are wheelchair/cane/crutch bound. I'm feeling really lucky that there is light at the end of the tunnel for me.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom