THR Cstreet on the other side

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yes, it does happen quite normally. I was taking Tramadol for 12 weeks and over the last 2-3 weeks, found I just kept forgetting a dose here and there. When I found there was no repercussions anyway, it got dropped out altogether! Afternoon one was the first to go followed by the late morning dose, then the first one of the day. The last to go was the night time one. The same thing will happen to you.
 
Hi Everyone,

I am just about at 9 weeks out. I am seeing improvement week by week but it's less dramatic now. I do notice I am not getting as tired as I was when I started at work half time. I am working about 80% time now and am still tired at the end of the day but not falling over tired.

I am still on the percoset but only taking it every 6-7 hours now along with a Tylenol 8hour 650mg.

Physical therapy has been helpful and I am doing more advanced excersizes now. Trying to get to the point of being able to do the clam. They gave me what's basically a big rubber band to put around my knees and flex out to help strenthen things up.

Still on two crutches most of the time but I am starting to use one crutch around the house. I think I overdid it a bit today so I payed for that. My leg is really close to straight now when I started PT it was maybe 25 degrees off and now it's around 6-8 degrees.

I have a 9 week appt on Monday and they are going to take more x-rays including ones to figure out my new LLD. I had a 5cm difference before the operation on my bad leg/hip and they gave me some length back, that's why I was not able to get my leg straight since the muscles and everything else needed to stretch out.

I am still reading the boards a lot and it's great to see everyone moving along and the new people joining in.
 
It sounds like you are really doing well! This recovery thing is a rather slow process, but you are doing the right thing in comparing week to week. Improvements do come!!!
 
You are doing really well Cstreet. Congratulations, and I wish you good luck with your follow up appointment. You are on your way!
 
Just a quick update as it's been a good week for me. I saw the Doctor on Monday and got a bunch of x-rays. The bone has grown nicely into both components. I'm going to try and get hold of my x-rays and post them but I have a massive screw going from the cup deep into the pelvis. My OS said he does that to stop any micromovements and likes to hook in deeper in the pelvis where the bone is the strongest. He uses x-ray during the procedure so he knows where it is going.

Also this week I have been finally able to get my leg to just about straight and have been walking around with one crutch more. I even took 4 steps with no crutches. I'm flailing my arms around and quickly putting down my good leg but its a start :).

The progress is certainly more week to week but I felt good about some first steps without crutches today.
 
Good report! So happy to hear things are moving forward. Watch those "flailing flights" without your cane.....don't put yourself in jeopardy of a fall...
 
Well done cstreet! I also have one long screw attached into the pelvis. Funny to read your no crutch attempt. After I ditched my crutches, I looked like a drunken sailor trying to walk, always arms out sideways for support I guess. In a week or two you'll be fine again. All the best for the next weeks to come.
 
Thanks everyone. I am wondering if I should give a cane a try. Do people usually go one crutch to cane?

Of course everyone goes about mobility differently. But yes it is very common to move from crutch to cane. Even for just a short time while you get that gait down. I even ended up just carrying a cane with me for a week or so - just to avoid limping if I got tired.
 
I think there's quite a difference when 'graduating' from one crutch to cane ( or stick as we call it across the pond). I had elbow crutches and although I was very much used to using a stick pre op it just didn't feel quite steady enough the first time I tried to replace my single crutch with it.
Keep trying until it feels right for you. There are no rules that say you can't alternate between the two depending on how you feel. What I did find though is that people are more considerate of your condition if you have a crutch, more so than a stick.
I have a folding stick that I carry around now for when I get tired and need a little support. It will all fall into place for you soon.
 
Cool!!!! I LOVE those canes!!!
 
Thanks really great cstreet! A fashion statement!
 
The acetabular screw really isn't that big, Cstreet. Usually about 45mm long. And it's the design of the cup that demands the screw, not the surgeon's choice. Furlongs are the ones I'm most familiar with but there are others. Some use one screw, some two and others even three like this one

[Bonesmart.org] Cstreet on the other side
 
Another week down and some more progress.

I can walk around the house a bit without crutches now. My gait is screwy still. I can't extend my leg backwards as the muscles are still really tight. So PT time has been spent working on that. But my leg goes totally straight now which is very nice.

Still using two crutches at work but next week I'm going to try using the cane a bit more.

I am tapering off the percoset and hope to be off it in another week. Should have stopped it earlier. Not feeling any joint pain which is awesome.

That's it for now.
 
Excellent report!!!! Keep up the great recovery!
 
Cstreet - you are making some great progress! Long may it continue. Thanks for the update!
 
Cstreet - so glad to hear about your progress - must have felt great to finally get that leg straight :yes 4:

Keep up the good work!!!

Liz
 
Thanks guys. I mentioned above that I am tapering off the percocet. It's not been too bad until this week. I am down to splitting one pill into 1/4s now and taking it every 4 hours. The first two days off went ok, felt funky after about 3 hours after taking the last dose but doable. Today I was at work and had it worse. Hoping that passes soon.

Has anyone else gone through this? I had been on codeine when I was younger for about six months and never had an issue but this stuff is a bit nasty. I'm getting worried about when I stop altogether next weekend.
 
You might need to extend your tapering off schedule for a little longer than one more week. That would give you time to spread your doses out to every 6 and 8 hours (eventually) rather than every 4.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom