THR Cstreet on the other side

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey CStreet, I just injected myself for the last time this a.m. :yay:

I only had 10 days, but I've done it before so it's nice to finally be done with it.

Wow, you are going in to work??? I've been working about 50% of time directly from home from the first day I got back from hospital. Last time it was no problem, but this time it was awful. I won't go back officially to work until after Labor Day.

So you are still having a tough time? Are you doing Outpatient PT at a location? I'm still doing home and then I'll go out for PT probably in another week or so. How are you walking? Cane or walker? I'm still on walker, can't put full weight on my leg. I know m OS is going to say something about it when I go on Thursday. Us Anterior folks are supposed to be superman/woman from the start. Well this time I'm not. Be careful at work and do take it easy as soon as you get home.
 
For the first few weeks I totally stayed off e-mail and then was just reading e-mail the third week with a few responses. My goal is to now work 50% time this week and for the next few weeks and ease back into things. I'm mainly going to work from home by try and go in twice this week and see how it goes.

Today went well. My wife dropped me off and picked me up as I'm sill on the Oxy and Percocet so I don't want to drive. And people were nice about getting me drinks and food for lunch so I basically just sat at my desk for 4 hours.

It was a little draining but I was really nice to get back out into the world a little bit :).

I have a walker and crutches. I use the walker at home since I can more easily put weight on my leg but took the crutches to work so I can get around faster. It's got the added benefit of making it look like I might have just sprained something. People are always surprised when I tell them I got a new hip.

I thought I would be a little farther along at this point mainly being able to walk a bit without a walker but until I can get my leg to go straight I'm stuck.

I'm getting closer and closer to getting the mucles all stretched out so I feel like I am making progress.
 
Good for you. I think you are doing really well!!
 
That's amazing for only 3 1/2 weeks cstreet! Congratulations on your recovery. Just don't overdo it.
 
You are doing really well cstreet. I wouldn't worry at all about still using aides to walk. It is still early days!

Please don't work too hard - you still need your rest!
 
Hi cstreet! It's refreshing to hear from someone going back to work, even for a few hours, at 4 weeks. Did your Doctor have to approve a reduced work schedule first and if so, did you just tell him how many hours you wanted to go back working or did he recommend the number of hours?

Where I work, since I'm salaried and collect full pay while I'm out, I can't even work from home without Doctor's written approval first since it would jeopardize the disability benefits being paid to the company. Like you, I'd rather ease back into work in a couple of weeks and not just go back full time right after labor day (like I'm scheduled to now).

Liz
 
Liz,

I'm going back on the Thursday after Labor Day as well. With my last hip, I was able to do pretty well with it. Desk work of course. Some days I just couldn't do it all day or I had PT in the afternoon and I would shorten my day. My employer has no issues with me just making the judgement call on it and doesn't need a doctor's note for that. They know what I've been through and I also am helping out by working from home connecting into my desk top remotely and getting payroll done and AP work done. So it's basically a win win situation for all of us.
 
cstreet

You are a brave man gong back to work after only four weeks out of surgery, I am sure I won't have to tell you to be really careful.
I returned to work at 11 weeks but am a tad older than yourself, really do hope everything goes well and you get to ditch they crutches.
 
I ended up going back to work again today for another 4 hours. We had a big meeting and so I just sat in once place the whole time. People are being nice about bringing me food and drinks so I don't have to move.

My doctor did have to fill out some paperwork to let me return to work half time. I asked that they make it half time and the dr was fine with that.

So today is four weeks for me. Still on the oxy and percoset which is keeping pain under control. I'll be staying home tomorrow.

I really enjoy my job so I am happy to be getting back into the swing of things a bit. I was starting to get a bit down just sitting around the house.

I still plan to take it easy with half time for some time and see how it goes.
 
I am having a weird problem in the morning when I wake up. My heal really hurts and is a bit red and tender. It happened first on my good leg heal. I sleep on my back and thought maybe I was rubbing my heal in my sleep so I put a sock on but that did not solve it. Then today both heals were hurting. Anyone else have this problem?

I used to sleep on my side so the back sleeping is new for me.
 
Hi cstreet, I had the heel problem big time. I eventually got an open wound on my op side and had to go get antibotics.

What worked for me was using a pillow lengthwise under that leg. It raised my heel just enough to keep it off the bed but I was still supported down that whole side. Do you have 2 pillows so you can lift both sides? They shouldn't be very thick. Even a towel folded lengthwise would do the trick.
 
Pressure sores - very common when you have to lie on your back all the time. I get it after only a few minutes! Either use Jaycey's thin pillows or put an anklet wrap of towelling and bandage on your ankles so your heels are just lifted off the mattress. Doesn't have to be by much, enough to take the pressure off is all.
 
Yup, I got it BIG TIME while in rehab and they got me some Prevalon boots. I don't know what I would have done otherwise. The pillows as Jaycey said, work very well too. Anything so your heels don't touch the mattress.

Also, just a thought on your returnng to work. If you are sitting in one spot for the whole 4 hours, I think you should ert up and walk around a bit. That is a long time to be in one position.

Also because of blood clots as you are still very early out. Just get up every hour or so and take a short stroll about. Just my opinion, but I know even when just recently hospitalized, they were going to give me heparin if I wasn't able to get up and move about.

I think you are doing fine :thumb: .
 
Keeping my heel elevated at night took care of the heel pain. I just got my main bill for the operation. $148k total, insurance adjusted it down to $40k for them to pay and $1500 out of pocket for me.

It's nuts to see what the hospitals start out with as charges.
 
I just got my main bill for the operation. $148k total, insurance adjusted it down to $40k for them to pay and $1500 out of pocket for me.

:hate-shocked: If I remember right they charge for literally every bandage and tissue. I had minor foot surgery in the US years ago and my surgeon invited his buddy to observe the surgery (not authorized by me). The observer had the cheek of trying to bill me for his time! :no2:
 
Wow CStreet that is one large bill and I thought mine was. Mine was $75K for first and $85K for second. My insurance BCBS adjusted down to about $23K each time. Don't understand like you said why they charge so much when they negotiate such discounts with the insurance carriers?

Yes, the feet up sure does help the heels when you lay on your back all the time.
 
I worked in a private hospital once. They had forms where we had to write down every single thing we used including the Sterets, those little square spirit dabs for cleaning the skin! I didn't stay there long!
 
And does anyone wonder why the US Health Care System in the toilet :no2:. It is outrageous! Oh, there goes my blood pressure again!
 
This pricing is interesting in NZ I had some private insurance and the two hips done together cost $42,000 of which I pay around $10,000 that in US is $34,000 and $8,000 come to paradise!!!
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom