THR Cstreet on the other side

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ah, good luck tomorrow Julie!

Cstreet, If you can get someone to shop for you, I really had great luck with the stewed, warm prunes. I think it is the warmth that makes them work, And they really do taste good.

And too, I believe lately, doctors are recommending Miralax. It really does only work as a stool softener, no harsh laxative effects. But in any event, you can take up to three Dulcolax a day.

This will stop as soon as you are off the heavy duty pain meds, so don't be afriad. Be comfortable for gosh sakes. But again, do check with your doctor. Good luck, and I'm sure you are feeling much better after the shower...
 
I have been drinking prune juice and taking my stool softeners so hopefully I can keep things under control. I was able to fully drop the Zofran which helps me not feel so spacy. The pain seems under control.

Biggest problem for me two weeks out is bordom. I'm in bed most of the time and have been watching lots of TV.

I can't get my leg straight yet so thats limiting my ability to put weight on the new joint. Its gtting closer to straight so I'm hopeful everything stretches out enough soon.

Sorry I am babbling a bit, it's the pain meds :).
 
cstreet, can you get referred to PT? They might be able to help you with the leg - and get you out of the house to relieve some of that boredom as well!
 
I 2nd Jaycey's suggestion - when do you see your surgeon? I see mine Fri and can't wait!
xoxo,
Linda
 
Ah, good luck tomorrow Julie!

Cstreet, If you can get someone to shop for you, I really had great luck with the stewed, warm prunes. I think it is the warmth that makes them work, And they really do taste good.

And too, I believe lately, doctors are recommending Miralax. It really does only work as a stool softener, no harsh laxative effects. But in any event, you can take up to three Dulcolax a day.

This will stop as soon as you are off the heavy duty pain meds, so don't be afriad. Be comfortable for gosh sakes. But again, do check with your doctor. Good luck, and I'm sure you are feeling much better after the shower...


Thanks Janet!! I have non name stool softeners but I also have the Miralax & also have heard that works good. MOM works on me too Cstreet. Hope you get the stomach issues resolved. I too have such hard time. Nurse yesterday said warm up prune juice. I hate prunes but maybe I'll do the warm juice & plug my nose. :th_heehee:
 
I don't know why, but the genereic or other name brand stoll softeners did NOTHING for me! However, the Dulcolax worked like a charm :wink1:...and a glass of Miralax in my OJ or water in the morning!
 
I'm going to have to kick up the prunes input :). I tried MOM let night no dice. Today oatmeal + dulcolax + prune juice.

I see my OS on Monday and will ask about PT then. It's funny at night when i am sleeping it seems like I am stretching out my leg at bit more everyday. One benefit of sleeping on my back.
 
Gosh, cstreet you're only 14 days out yet. It could be a month or more before you get your extension sorted. Don't start worrying about it yet! Be more patient, patient!
 
Hi Josephine,

I had a 5cm LLD and I think I got about 2-3cm back with the LTHR which is why everything is so tight. I'm just worried since I had a leg lengthening operation when I was a teenager and had to give back some length due to the fact my leg would not go straight.
 
Maybe a dumb question but does everything stretch out? Muscles, tendons, etc? My OS said the limiting factor on length was related to the nerves.
 
No such thing as a dumb question, cstreet!

He's right - nerves tend to be a bit unforgiving when stretched. They're not really designed to do it. Whilst muscles, ligaments and tendons are made of stretch stuff that will take it. However, if they've not been stretched much lately they might complain!
 
I went in today and saw my OS for a three week checkup. He usually does the first checkup at 4 weeks but he is going on vacation for a few weeks. They took x-rays and everything looks good. It was a bit crazy to see my old hip gone and the new mechanicals in it's place.

I have an order for PT but he wants me to wait 3 weeks until the bone grows into the parts more.

I also got an rx for Tylenol with codeine to try in place of the percoset. I'll also stay on the 12 hour oxy for now. Hopefully I'll feel a bit less "fuzzy" once i can move off the percoset.

It was nice to get out of the house for a bit.
 
Well done on your first follow up appointment cstreet. Sounds like you are right on track!
 
Hi-C:
Good advice from your doc. I started pt five days after surgery and my leg responding with severe swelling and pain. I ended up in the er and my OS had me suspend all therapy for a week. When I resumed I was much more able to handle iit. Did you get any exercises to do when you were in the hospital. They are usually a little lighter and can be done while in bed.
You are right about the boredom. Daytime television is not the best and you can only watch so much history, gardening, home improvement and food programs. After you start pt, I sure you'll get more mobility and will be able to get out some. Hang in there and be patient.
 
Hi Dave,

I did get some exercises and stretches to do at home. Those are going well so far. I'm starting to do some work from home which is helping with the boredom a bit.

Today I was feeling a bit more pain and I thought it was my big adventure to the dr but turns out I skipped my morning oxy pill, whoops :).
 
Yep, that will do it in these early days of recovery. Pain meds are soooo important!!
 
Took my last Lovanox shot tonight, I won't miss them at all :). I'm still making progress but its slow. I still can't get my leg straight but it's getting closer and I'm starting to put more weight on it.

I am going into work for 4 hours tomorrow which will be nice. I am going back to my desk job 50% time this week. Mainly working from home but I'm going to try going in once or twice this week.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom