THR copsham's recovery thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Who me? Noooooo, I wouldn't, well I might.
Best news ever Coppers as you thrive when away its almost like being away helps you take mind off the problem. I hope you have a brilliant time.

Legin THR Sep 14
 
So happy to hear from you and that you are progressing to somewhat of a normal life. Enjoy your week in Jersey. Maybe...it's just what the DR ordered...
:)
 
Hi all
A quick update. I was getting in such a muddle about what limitation is caused by my recovering broken right foot and what by my over used Left THR hip. I took a breather went away for a week and just tried to carry on as best I could. It is interesting how things evolve. Things I can now see clearly:

  • I will not be able to move my foot more flexibly as the plate and screws are stopping the flexibility, so until op to remove, will just try to ensure that I am walking a straight and evenly as possible.
  • Doing more walking whilst I was away seemed to settle my hip. Both hips seem more equal now.
  • The hip of my THR needs to continue to be stretched. I feel as though I cannot take a stride just teeny steps. If I lift it as if to go up steps it has less movement that the one that was not operated on.
Having taken the break I feel my head has cleared and I just need to focus on my balance/strengthening ankles as well as developing the disappeared muscles of my hip.

I have just been browsing around and I love the positive approach on the site. Speak soon x
 
Sounds like you are in a better place @copsham
We manage to figure out what our bodies need in order to heal......each of us is so different so it takes time to get there.
Hope you continue this good progress. Xxx


Sent from my iPad using BoneSmart Forum
 
Hope the head is cleared.

Legin THR Sep 14
 
Hi Karen @copsham Thanks for your visit... always nice to "see" you :loveshwr:

I'm so sorry your foot is still giving you so much trouble: I'm not going to say "you'll get there" because I know you KNOW you will, you just don't FEEL like you will, and that plain sucks, so I'll have a little tanty:tantrum2: for you and stamp my feet.... better mine than yours methinks! :rotfl: I think I'm right in saying that you will be having the plate in your foot removed, if that's the case you will at least know what you're dealing with "properly" then ... and you'll deal with it :cool:

I have to say my hip was good on my trip... to be perfectly honest, and I'm not saying it to be cruel or to make you feel better... I think I lowered my expectations a little and took the "good" for what it is - good! I stopped thinking that a THR should have fixed all my aches and pains, and suddenly it felt more successful! My husband said he was going to stop whinging about his aches and pains so I thought I'd give that a try... it made me think about my hip less, at the very least!

I genuinely noticed the improvement because I had something to measure it by; our previous visits to the same region with the same activities on offer, last time there were many I could not do, this time there were few that I could not do.... I wouldn't describe what I DID do as "doing mountain trails", you flatter me :snork:... I stuck to the gentler slopes, NZ is well set up for tourists of all ability levels so it depended on how lazy I was feeling, or if it was raining.... in those instances I used the boardwalks or better trails. On one of the ski fields I did climb a not very high but quite steep "tump" as my Welsh dad would say, and felt the weakness in the glutes AND the satisfaction of having done it pain free! Overall though I could outpace my hubby this time (though his knees are mess, lol) which was great! It was absolutely great to NOT be the one asking to have a rest :yes!:

It's a couple of weeks over a year since I had the hip done too, and I can't emphasize enough how much difference the last couple of months have made; strength has improved a lot recently, the tendinitis is still "there" but I have learned to manage the balance of rest and exercise better, I think in the end "time is the healer" and what I have done or have not done has made little difference:heehee: Having said that stretching is SO helpful and.... it was over 32 Celcius here again today so swimming is back on the agenda (have to have a few hot days to warm the water up) which you know LOVE! It'll be interesting to see if a) my frog kick is more even this year and b) if I'm still nervous to dive in, which I was last year having never been prior to the THR.

I was absolutely paranoid about setting those airport alarms off, :scaredycat: I find a lot of security staff at airports to be arrogant and unpleasant to deal with at the best of times. The guy (very pleasant btw) at Perth when we left said that the newer machines are more finely calibrated and less likely to get triggered by the metal in prosthesis... maybe the one at Jersey is one of the older types :chinstroke: I told someone at every scanner before going through about my hip, they were all good; disinterested at worst and considerate at best.

I didn't want to go in the body scanner either, they had one at Sydney and I asked if I had to use it (apparently if you are directed by security to use it you MUST) and the lady (again, very pleasant) said nah, just wait in this line.... then the guy in front of me had no end of dramas so I sucked it up and went in the scanner - felt like a bit of a berk standing there with my hands above my head, but not really that big a deal and it only takes a minute all up... the worst part was that the booth thing was up on a little dais, had glass walls and stood out like dogs ba... well you know what it stood out like:rotfl: seriously, the only thing that could have made it less subtle is neon lights and a big buzzer:loll:

So I think I've babbled on enough. I really hope you find some "inner peace" with your foot/hip situation. Of course I really hope you find a miracle solution to one or other or both problems, but failing that I hope you find, no, re-find coz you've always had it, that strength of character/will to get you through the latest tribulations. It does get better, just not soon enough, but better is, BETTER, so something to look forward to :cool:

Hoppy Healing (see what I did there :heehee:)

Donna :flwrysmile:
 
Hi @copsham! I am so glad you posted an update. I've been thinking about you lately and wondering how you have been doing. I'm wondering, though, is having the plate in your foot an option or a requirement? I know, by what you've said, that the plate has limited the flexibility in your foot. But am wondering if it's something you can learn to deal with, without going through the pain of another surgery to have it removed? You've been through so much pain this year and would hate the thought of you going through more with yet another surgery.
I am, however, happy to hear that you have found some peace of mind with your situation. Your hip WILL improve...it's just going to take more time. Prayers and hugs to you, my friend.
:console2:
 
Hi @Nana757
Thanks for your post - always good to hear from you. The plate and screws in the foot are to stabilise the injury in the right place whilst it heals. My plate and screws have to come out as they used the smallest size plate apparently but it was too large for my small bone structure(?) and is too near the surface. It is a smaller procedure and will be done either Dec or Jan. I can't believe it - me the person with so many hospital phobias, explaining why I did it to be done!

Your hip WILL improve...it's just going to take more time.
I can feel the hip greatly improved in the past few days, really loosened up through the physiotherapy. I don't know what it is called but in the session I stood on a balance board that when turned on moves in every possible angle, moving hips and ankles gently around in every direction. This really helped - so a session a week of that for a while.

Your positivity is really welcomed nana757 x
 
Hi @craftdee
It feels like the old days seeing your lovely posts! My trip to Australia was postponed this autumn due to my foot injury but we are beginning to plan for next September. So eventually will get to the land of craftdee and fifi!

I am going to get back to swimming next week. I went a couple of months ago and it was too soon. Th swimming was fine but the treachery of the sides of the pool with my poor balance and moon boot made it seem like ice. I feel more stable now (really?)

Look after yourself and hope you can plan more big trips! x
 
Hi @Hoppy Nanny
It was good to hear from you. How's Ruby? Still being a demanding puppy? Did your pain resolve it self and are you back at the "almost forgotten hip" stage. Take care x
 
Chortle. I gave Harold a broom, and this wind is good for head clearing

Legin THR Sep 14
 
I am thrilled that your hip is now showing relief. That is truly good news. And it sounds like the surgery to remove the plate and screws may be a quick and easy procedure. Hopefully, it , for your sake. Have a wonderful day!
 
Hi there @copsham
Glad to see you will be going back to the pool soon.....it helps with those sore muscles! Your poor hip hasn't had much of a chance due to that foot but I'm sure once you get the hardware out it will ease off.......you deserve a break from it all!

Ruby is the least demanding pup I've ever had.....a little darling! (She had her spay & hernia repair done this week so feeling a bit sorry for herself) but such a good girl.

My hip is just fabulous. N'er a twinge ! It's the blasted knee that's the problem & has been since the op. Going for more physio.

My twin sis had her 2nd TKR so I'm going to look after her for a week, next week. It's much better than her first one...think she's just hit that 2nd week 'brick wall' so I hope to be able to cheer her up. Either that or we can both 'hunker' down together & put the world to right!

Take care....Chrissie x


Sent from my iPad using BoneSmart Forum
 
Hiya pal just checking in. I know that usually a quiet Coppers is a busy, distracted Coppers. Keep smiling and take care

Legin THR Sep 14
 
@copsham - so sorry I hadn't seen the notification in my emails (@Kim22 somehow I didn't get your notification either). I just happened to come in and check in on my warriors to ensure everyone was doing OK.

Sounds like your foot injury was much more traumatic than my off and on foot issues. Both my left (near stress fracture and many weeks in a boot and very light weight bearing) and right (Big toe fusion) have given me issues. In fact, I just had surgery on my right big toe in May (best way to remove the pain in the joint with so much osteoarthritis in it) and I was non-weight bearing for about 9 weeks then another 3 weeks of working off the crutches and boot.

Honestly, the best way to get through it all is to 1-follow your doctor's orders 2 - take your meds as directed and don't try and come off them too soon, and 3-listen to your body because it will tell you when it's tired, hurting, swelling, and even feeling good. By the time my right foot had finally hit the wall and I decided to have the surgery, I was just over 2 years after my right THR. I was really worried during recovery, since I decided to use a scooter, that my left hip was going to try and act up. Luckily, it's still behaving (5 years after my hip arthroscopy). I used SO many of the Bonesmart mantras during the foot surgery, I know it made the difference in that recovery as well. I pretty much used the same meds for my foot (but a shorter period of time) that I did for my hip surgery.

If I'm not mistaken you are still within your 1st year of hip recovery, right? As you/we all know, that healing continues through that first year (regardless of what they tell you the initial recovery is going to be). Same thing may apply for your foot now, so don't get discouraged; it will get better! I can't stress enough that it just takes time and just try and be careful not to become a member of the over-doer's club!

One of the other things I was able to do was get a "note" from my doctor saying I could wear athletic shoes rather than traditional work shoes at work. They are much more stable for me and have the larger toe box. They may not be glamorous, but I'm well over that!! I just try and make sure I have a dark pair and try and limit the neon accents and flashing lights! I definitely stick to the new pair every 3 months, since they will break down over time.

Wishing you the best in your recoveries!

p.s. I still have some numbness in my toe but the amount of flexibility in the top joint is just fine. Again, one of those things that just takes time and patience...
 
Hello all,
Thankyou for all the kind sentiements of the last little while when I haven't posted. I have been a bit overwhelmed and dealt with this by cutting off from everything then felt quite (falsely) positive. Then I could not post because I was so confused about feeling so good and so overwhelmed at the same time!! Quite a bit of extended family drama going on as well as a bit of a downward turn with my foot.

About 10 days ago, when my walking was poor and hips feeling seized up I went to a new physiotherapist. I did gentle excercises standing on like a mechanised wobble board moving slowly in all directions on a tread mill structure (make sense?). The effect was brilliant my hips immediately became more flexible and the weakness in my ankles improved a little BUT a day later my foot became really sore, difficulty walking on it, swollen etc. Physios view is that we have proved that the foot is not flexible enough to take this minimal exercise and we should wait until I have the "hardware" (plate and srews) out before proceeding. So it is back to the Bonesmart mantras; resting, elevation and icing and it is improving. I have an appointment in four weeks time to plan the hardware removal and I just think the sooner the better.

What I find really dififcult in the healing process is the ups and downs. I think I would cope a lot better with a very slow development forward. Feeling a lot better then loosing it and going backwards is so hard at times. I just thought of that song "Pick yourself up, dust yourself off and start all over again" thats where I am at the moment.

I need a disposable lap top! So I can get a new one everytime something goes wrong. If I open up in Safari the delete button does not work at all. If I open up in Firefox it has been working but it has just started deleting any forward writing not backward writing. Then I went to you tube to play the above song and you tube clips will not play. Think it is time to get it looked at!

Re reading this post - seems so negative but in fact my highlight is that my hips both the operated one and the other one are feeling good, not seized up and not stressed anymore. That is a huge development.

@Hoppy Nanny hope you are enjoyng your week with your sister. It must be good (?) to have hips/knee in common. I remember you when I first joined Bonesmart. You were having such problems. I would not have forecaste you saying "My hip is just fabulous. N'er a twinge ! " Fantastic.

@Legin and @Nana757 it is amazing how you are both "there" for everyone. Love your input, sensible and fun with words of wisdom!

@dede62 you said "don't get discouraged; it will get better! I can't stress enough that it just takes time and just try and be careful not to become a member of the over-doer's club!" So So true. You went throught the wars too with hip and foot and live to tell the tale. This Lisfranc injury is tedious. Many people are a lot worse than me with it though so I am lucky.

I have got a feeling that my warrior self is back, think she just had a little down time to recharge so a big THANK YOU to all xx
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom