• RATE YOUR SURGEON ON OUR NEW JOINT SURGEON LOCATOR

Your opinion matters so please click on this announcement to find out how to rate the surgeons you have worked with

You could also go to the Surgeon Locator via the blue nav bar at the top - find the tab "Surgeon Locator"

[THR] copsham's recovery thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Legin

big-cheese
Country
United Kingdom United Kingdom
Me now would I do such a thing errrrrr. Chortle I worked at Hsggerston Castle holiday camp what an excuse for being late hey

Legin THR Sep 14

Suzette

graduate
Country
Yes you would @Legin !

Hi @copsham I do hope your pain is subsiding and you ate well on your way to getting good back to normal. Have a lovely Christmas and new year.

Love Dawn x

OP
OP
copsham

copsham

post-grad
Country
Hi @Suzette
Think of you often and read your posts. What a lot of water under the bridge for you. (a confession - thanks to your posting I now have a 'she -wee'!!!). I am up early, organised and waiting for the deluge to arrive.

I was so happy yesterday for the first time I went in to more than one shop before returning home. I loved the feel of striding across the car park. Needless to say today I can only hobble today. Take care.

isolde

Country
Hi @copsham, so glad things are finally settling down and going better for you. Was wondering why the pool ladder is a problem - is it because of your hip or your foot? Maybe a physio could advise stretches or exercises you could do to correct it, as it really restricts which pools you can use.

Nana757

post-grad
Country
United States United States
Hey there @copsham! Just checking in on you to see how you are doing. I can only assume that you are doing well now, since I haven't seen any postings from you. Getting on wth life, I hope. Have a wonderful day!

OP
OP
copsham

copsham

post-grad
Country
@Nana757 @isolde @Suzette @Legin @beachgal and my many other long lost friends, I am posting to say hello. It's a year and a half since my right hip replacement, a year since I broke my foot and 4 months since I started a high fat low carb diet (RMR banting) What a time it has been but I can honestly say that I feel 10 years younger oh boy want a journey it has been it has been.

My hip recovery, though slowish, is complete and it was so worthwhile having it done. My only regret is that I cannot do breast stroke now! For everyone taking this journey there really can be a brighter future - give it time!!

Medfordart

senior
Country
Hi @copsham Great to hear from you! We have all come a long way. I am sorry about your foot. I was very disappointed when I could not do the breast stroke...however, it is back! I hope that in the future you will also be able to.

Nana757

post-grad
Country
Oh @copsham...it is so great to hear from you. I truly was just thinking about you yesterday and was wondering how you were doing. I couldn't be happier that you are doing so well. God bless you girl, for making it through all your trials and tribulations! Isn't it wonderful to be living again?!?!
:dancy::cheers:

OP
OP
copsham

copsham

post-grad
Country
Hi @Medfordart Is not doing the breast stroke a permanent thing??? I thought it was re dislocation that I should not to do it, ever. Lovely to hear from you.

Hi @Nana757 - yes I really do feel like I am living again. I didn't realise how incapacitated, gloomy and overweight I had got. I have now got a new lease of life for which I am so grateful.

Hi @Cynthia777 it wasn't long ago that I was a few weeks post op and you were planning yours - doesn't time fly!

Any news of @Legin?

I am very grateful to Bonesmart and friends of the time. I felt very supported through a very difficult period of my life.

Cynthia777

big-cheese
Country
@copsham
The time has flown by! I just wish I hadn't put my THR's off for so long and would be celebrating my one year anniversary! Oh well, things happen for a reason. Take care!

Constanze

graduate
Country
Germany Germany
Hi @copsham , I was very very pleased to hear from you again this morning and also happy that you're better now. Concerning the breast stroke: The answer is no. Restrictions (precautions against dislocation) are temporary. Even a more conservative doctor I spoke to (he is against jogging post op), says this ban on breast stroke is rubbish.

Meanwhile, I do everything I did before the operation and many more things I couldn't do because I was too stiff (e.g. some yoga). You could just try the breast stroke for a short period and then increase the amount slowly. Just see what happens. - And how is travelling? Have you been away in the past year. my husband and me went to New Zealand and want to go again in January. Take care - Constanze

Hip Hip Hooray!

post-grad
Country
I've been doing the breast stroke. I didn't realize some people were told not to do it. I don't rotate my hips very far...it's the one stroke that I can do well and comfortably. I'm interested to hear what people's OS's have said about it.

pamac

Country
@copsham So glad to hear you are getting back to life. I'm coming up on a year and you know what's amazing is going back and reading my early posts. The pre-op and post-op. What a mess!! Thankfully it is becoming a distant memory!
You had some extra challenge with the broken foot. So glad to hear you are more active and feeling better all around. Based on the comments, sounds like you can get back to the breast stroke too. My surgeon never mentioned that restriction. I'm trying to work some yoga in to improve my range of motion.
All the best! Peggy

OP
OP
copsham

copsham

post-grad
Country
Hi all, Lovely to touch base with everyone! When I opened this thread today it took me to my first post after the hip op and it made my stomach churn! Yes we all have come a long way, some quickly and some slowly but we have made it. The op is really such a success.

So I am going to start breast stroke, thanks Constanze for the advice re starting slowly. I will try that. Yipee!
I have done small travels so far this year and on each trip I can feel the improvement in leg and foot. Finally last month we went to Shetland and for the first time I did a proper walk over rough terrain. The incentive was seeing the puffins, breeding in the cliffs.

I feel really grateful to be so well and able now and perfect timing for our big trip to Australia. (Constanze, I don't think we are going to make it to Cairns though). In my recovery time I felt as if I travelled every where when hearing from people in Australia, Africa, Europe etc etc.

With much appreciation to my Bonesmart buddies.

Granny Di

senior
Country
Canada Canada
@copsham So good to hear from you! I haven't checked on here for a long time but glad I did tonight to be able to hear that you are walking well and travelling. So happy for you. You may not remember me as I didn't post that often but I did follow your journey.
I do the breast stroke and my doctor said the only thing I should not do is run ...but then I have a bad back so running is out.
I will have to check on Legin now.
Have a great trip!
Diane

OP
OP
copsham

copsham

post-grad
Country
Hello to all my "historic" friends,
It will be my second anniversary on 2 days time and everything is fine. I just browsed my early posts and it was such a reminder about the complexities of it all! I am very glad that I had the support of Bonesmart. I would have been lost without it. The contact with my BS friends sustained me through thick and thin, particularly 2 years ago. So thank you to you all.

To all new hippies patience is the word and wish you all well. Before you know it it will be an anniversary!

Hip Hip Hooray!

post-grad
Country
Congratulations @copham. I'm glad to hear that you are doing so well. It's amazing how healing this surgery is. Keep up the great work.

Constanze

graduate
Country
Germany Germany
Hi @copsham , I'm very pleased to hear some news from you and that you're doing so well.
Guess what - we're on holiday again. Like last year in January, we are in New Zealand. But this time, we are exploring the southern island. So far, we've had a lovely time, canoeing on Dart River (not far from Queenstown), zip lining, hill walking. Like last year, we will spend a week at our house in Cairns to look after it.
Did you not travel to Australia last year? And if so, what was it like? No problem if you didn't make it to Cairns. In fact, my husband intends to sell that house, and guess what? Maybe he'll by one in England. That would be something. This is our original intention we had in the 90s, we decided against it at the time, because it was too complicated to move with 4 teenage children.
But the idea sounds fun. In fact, it turned out that the house in Australia is too far away to look after. You really have to be present more often - and flying over once a year for 1 week is not enough.
My hip is all right. I even ran a marathon last August in a forest near a village located about 3 kms from Langen, the town where I work. I finished it, although I had to walk a few kilometres towards the end. The only problems I had were because of the heat (30°C - about 86°F), not hip related.
Best wishes from Queenstown - Constanze

AndyH99

graduate
Country
Blimey, two years already!

It is scary reading back on our threads at the time, but you know what, I'd do it all again in a heartbeat to get to the position I'm in now.

May you and your hips have many a comfortable anniversary.

Have fun

Andy

Status
Not open for further replies.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
Ppadilla
Recent bookmarks