THR copsham's recovery thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
hang in there, Copsham! You are back in the stage of "baby steps" I can't even imagine how frustrating this is for you. You have definitely put in your time for healing and you want the benefits of it! Very understandable.
I love nice hot tub bathes with Epsom Salts. I wonder if that would help any? At the very least, it will help you relax. :bath:
 
I learned the benefits of doing regular stretches a while ago after regularly punishing my body thru sport. I still do them several times a day be it sitting standing, cookering, in the shop, ooooops point made.
Coppers you are doing fine I know the urge to be normal is a constant itch that sometimes can't be itched right now. But knowing you the itched will be calmed soon. Keep smiling

Legin THR Sep 14
 
Hi @copsham , just catching up and couldn't agree more on the stretching. Now I'm in a better state physically I attempt to gently warm at least a single area and stretch it every day with a once a week all over gentle stretch.

One other thing I've found is extremely useful for both my leg & hip strength plus my balance. Many years ago I learnt the basics of Zha Zhuang ( https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Zhan_zhuang ). Once you get the hang of it you can practice almost anywhere and you soon get the hang of feeling what's no right in terms of stance, strength and balance. It's helped me no end to solve some stuff the PT wasn't working on.

Have fun and I hope the recovery keeps moving forward positively


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forumn
 
Good morning Copsham you do sound on the road to a great recovery, glad the stretches are helping. You have had such a difficult time it is time for things to smooth out for you. Enjoy your day today.
 
@CricketHip its funny that you suggested epsom salts. When I was a couple of weeks post hip op, still with my foggy brain I ordered what I thought was one bag of epsom salts but it was one pack of 5 x 5kg bags and by mistake I ordered twice! I have been soaking my injured foot in ep salts but had forgotten useful for whole bath! will get back to that

Little grandson just said "you are supposed to be playing with me " so off I go x
 
@copsham. My OS did give me permission to return to Tai Chi but I felt I was not ready yet. I also do gentle stretches in general throughout the day. I do think they help with muscle spasms.
 
@Grannyhippy The body is fascinating, how you know you are not ready for tai chi, despite it being "allowed". I have put off swimming for same reason but very soon, will get back to it.

@AndyH99 will look at the Z.... Z..... in a minute. I need stretching and just body conditioning following so long on the sofa!! Did not think about the whole body until @Nana757 pointed this out in relation to my foot recovery causing hip wastage!

@Legin thanks for the sentiments - I am sure you appreciate that what is "normal" for me is not normal for anyone else LOL!

Thank you again and again to all my lovely Bonesmart friends x
 
Aye I know I'm same I not long ago said to the wiff I want to be normal, she looked at me shook her head and said my dear you are not normal and even I don't know what your normal is......

Legin THR Sep 14
 
@copsham just catching up with you and I am so sorry that you are going through this pain.I am glad that the stretches are helping you It must be very difficult deciding what to do to support both your new hip and the foot injury.It sounds like the hydro therapy helped your hip initially and may help it again.There was another bs user on here who was in a similar situation ie foot injury during her THR recovery and I wonder if we could tag her to see if she can advise you she is @dede62 but I haven't heard from her for a while but last I did hear she was doing a lot better.I really hope you start to improve very soon
 
Thanks @Kim22
It is amazing the ideas that I have had from BS gang are really valuable but also common sense e.g. :
  • Stretching and Zha Zuang (take a look on youtube!)
  • Epsom salts -useful previously
  • Hydrotherapy - useful previously

It is strange to me that when it is for myself, common sense has gone out of the window - so i plan to be a bit systematic in the coming week and go for the above ideas and let things happen!

Will alos find dede's thread. So thanks again.
 
Hi @dede62
just skimmed through your thread as a fellow bonesmart hip person who also had/has a foot injury. I had LEFT hip THR in Jan 2015 and just recovering well, in June 2015 had a lisfranc injury to RIGHT foot = broken 1st 2nd metatarsal and ruptured ligaments, affecting toes, foot, heel, ankle. i had surgery and it was all put back together again. Three months on still recovering slowly but surely. I am always trying to balance the needs of my foot with the needs of my hip. Hip got very achey if I used crutches or knee scooter. in the cam boot my hip protested a lot. Now i am back to walking short distances. I am through the worst (worst being non weight bearing for 10 weeks). Do you have any ideas/magic/ thoughts on the balancing of the needs of hip and foot?

[Bonesmart.org] copsham's recovery thread [Bonesmart.org] copsham's recovery thread
 
All things being equal - my top few ways of getting to sleep when insomnia strikes on odd nights (not the all the time insomnia - I just throw the clock away for that one). All of them can be used in combination or sequence, watching the TV in the shower might not be the best approach

- Hot chocolate
- Hot shower & hot water bottlle
- Put your favourite film on, you know you'll never see the end
- Good book that you really want to read, guaranteed to get you to face plant into the book
- A bit of night time gardening, weird but I tried it when a relation mentioned it & then did the shower and coco & bang out I went
- Self massage of the aching bits

From my days doing shift work I know the 2am to 4am period is the worst one to be awake for most of us, whenever I worked through that I was awake like I'd slept for hours all morning then about noon I'd be out like a light. Sadly as we know you sometimes just have to go with it and just enjoy the dawn.

Good luck on the sleep
 
Thanks @AndyH99
Thank goodness I haven't got on going insomnia and til last week was sleeping well for a period. Infact last night I fell asleep but after 30 mins was woken by an owl near our bedroom window then couldn't get back to sleep. Watching a film is a good idea if i choose something slow , boring even. I don't think I will do any night time gardening. we are on a steep hill and don't want to create a scenario for third op. It is also very creepy around us with foxes, deer, badgers, night birds all active around us. I have just remembered after my hip op when i couldn't sleep I played some George Benson music and that was very soporific. Will do that again to

Got my consultants appointment this morning re my foot hence no sleeping in this morning. I could easily fall back to sleep now though -
 
Hmmmmm also your appointment today will be preying on your mind. I found very little I did actually helped the old wakeful nights but it just sorted itself and I was announcing yayy 5hrs. I'm still lucky to get more than three hours continuous but its fine. Bus journeys today will be zzzzzzz inside first two miles.
Good luck pal with today

Legin THR Sep 14
 
You are right @Legin my inability to sleep can haunt me for many weeks then suddenly disappear even though nothing is different. Like you I can cope if I get 5 hours anything more is a bonus

With this foot injury the physio in the last 2 appointments of 15 mins, tells me "its fine". Numb toes "its fine" can't walk very far "that's fine" can't bend my toes "fine" i just want to speak to someone who knows and will have a sensible conversation with me. My consultant was very good at that but I don't always see him. i wish I could record the quality of his staff for their training! Oh well of I go to the hospital.

Hope your walk/buses go well today. miserable weather here.
 
Numb toes makes me think nerve damage if it continues ask for a Neurophysiology assessment. It takes away any doubts.

Legin THR Sep 14
 
Hi there @copsham. I hope your appt went well. I thought I'd add my 2 cents about your numb toes and not being able to bend them. When I broke my foot 2 years ago, I had to have a plate and screws put in to seal the break and strengthen the foot. But, the result was a little nerve damage. There was numbness for several months, which finally started to subside. There are still small areas that are still a little numb, but not much. I think that is the price we pay whenever we get "opened up" and sewn back together. And, my toes did not want to cooperate either. My big toe and the 2nd one were ok, but the last 3 just did not want to bend. Even after 2 years they are just now beginning to "curl". But, I went for a massage last week and she spent a lot of time on my feet. When I got home I noticed I could curl them a lot more. Go figure! So maybe, just maybe, those special foot massages would help even more. :)
 
A quick hello to everyone. I have just spent a week trying not to focus on my foot/hip. I am not sure if I am better for it or not. I am going to have a few days break in Jersey and then back to normal (I can hear @Legin's comment as I say that!). @nana the description of your foot injury sounds so similar to mine - not fun. But at least we can walk - in the old day amputation was the order of the day for bad foot injuries!

Will be catching up with everyone soon X
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

  • djklaugh
    Staff member since December 30, 2020

Members online

Back
Top Bottom