THR copsham's recovery thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
@copsham
I'm so sorry to hear you're having more pain! You are dealing with so many issues at one time. I'm praying your recovery picks up speed and pray that you have no more glitches!
 
Last edited by a moderator:
(Insert expletive) that sounds horrible, I hope the pain subsides and you can get back on track soon. None of this is pleasant and that sounds even less so.

Good luck and I hope is mends soon


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forumn
 
Goodness me! Don't go knocking yourself around. You are trying to get better, not end up back in hospital. Please take it easy. You may need to use crutches again for a while to give the hip a break. I would contact your surgeon or even your GP and ask if your hip giving way should be of concern. Mine has also caused me to stumble a few times when walking unaided and my physiotherapist told me to start using a crutch again. I cannot walk with a cane.
 
Thank you one and all for the kind sentiments. I cannot tell what is happening, one minute I think my foot is hindering my walking then thinking my hip on the other leg is hindering me. If I concentrate to work out is it my foot or my hip, causing me to hobble, pain goes away. Then hubby spontaneously said i seem to be walking better! I have certainly rested today.

@Granny hippy you are right re the crutches - why did I not work it out myself! @Cynthia777 and @AndyH99 the message is clear; rest, crutches and no more gardening!

@Legin - clenches are the answer even if it only lasts 5 mins. Oh well Thank you again
 
Sorry to read this Copsham. This is a case where I wouldn't want to be the person who says to you that "this too shall pass" I am sure your patience has been worn thin.
 
@CricketHip It is so true "this too shall pass" but this is alternated with Is it an infection? is it broken? ( the answer being no its not ) etc. Today, resting so much more takes me back in hip time, lounging around on the sofa feeling like a slob. Oh well could be worse. I am so pleased for you that the waiting and the op is over - definitely the hardest part. Take care, be in touch!
 
Hi all - a question

Some advice needed. I have had a couple of physio sessions in respect of my foot. It is healing well except I can't put my weight on it if it is bent at my toes. My ankles are weak, turning slightly inwards and for this I have been referred to the balance once a week group. So far so good. BUT my hip on my left operated side really aches sometimes (foot is right side) to the point of having to take pain killers and I want to protect it from getting worse through this group physio.

One problem is that i cannot feel if I am over doing it or not til a few hours later when hip will ache or cease/seize up. The two physios that i have seen so far agree with me when i say that i do not want to damage my hip but then forget about it. How on earth can I handle this?

@Suzette Hi there glad you are back will catch up later x
 
Its trial and error. You could keep a diary on the process. I keep a pain diary and it often gives me pointers. Mind you I have caught the wiffff adding her two penny worth.

Legin THR Sep 14
 
Perhaps you could start slowly & see how it goes, adding more exercises if all is well. It must be driving you to distraction now!
Do hope you get some relief from pain & that never ending 'chattering'.... "What if, could it be this, that or the other"..... If only we could switch our brains off @copsham.
Wish I had some useful advice. Thinking of you....Chrissie x


Sent from my iPad using BoneSmart Forum
 
@Hoppy Nanny thanks for your comments

If only we could switch our brains off @copsham.

So true, at the moment my brain is at its best when I do meditation or relaxation exercises, if not my mind runs riot re the future, will I walk, what if this, what if that - drives me mad!! Oh well I am progressing, walking and driving is great for me, providing I do't over do it!
 
As if you would

Sent from my SM-A500FU using Tapatalk
 
My dear @copsham; you have been through so much this year and my heart goes out to you. I hesitated so much in saying this, but now feel I must. Since you were weeks/months on non-weight bearing for your foot surgery, and putting more stress on your op hip side, I'm thinking your hip is now rebelling. Is it actually your hip or the surrounding muscles and tendons that are causing you pain? If it is your hip, maybe a visit to your OS is in order, just to make sure everything is still okay. If it's the muscles, etc., I hate to say this, but maybe it's time to just start from scratch to rebuild those areas. I found that if my thigh muscle is screaming, I lay on my stomach on the bed, loop a strap (or a bathrobe belt) to my foot and pull the strap to my head, with the leg bent, keeping the thigh area flat on the bed. This stretches the thigh muscle and relieves the soreness, quite a bit. Sometimes I do it a few times a day while holding each stretch about 30 seconds. And, by the 2nd or 3rd time, you can actually feel the relief and that you'll be able to pull your foot even closer with each stretch.
As far as your foot is concerned, you had a complicated surgery on that poor thing. I know when I broke my foot 2 years ago, it seemed like forever, before I could stand on my tippy toes. And even now, my toes on that foot do not want to "curl" like my good foot. I have come to the conclusion that it is as good as it is going to get. With that said, though, it did take several months, I'm sorry to say, before I was able to walk with full weight and be able to stand on my tippy toes.
I hope by the time you read this you are feeling much better and see the light at the end of the tunnel. Best wishes, my friend.
 
@Nana757 thank you for your thoughtful reply as ever. You are so right about the muscles around the hip might need rebuilding. I can't believe that I never thought of that. I sort of just presumed that it was some form of major damage. I will try the stretches you suggested. I will also think back to the exercises I did in hydrotherapy in February and do them in the swimming pool. This seems a logical approach thanks to you!

It is a taxing and demanding time but I am going forward, nine months since hip op and three month since foot op. Thank you again Nana 757 really helpful x
 
Hi @Nana757
I did "nana's stretches" this morning and this afternoon. Definitely soothes the aggravation for a short time so will carry on. A gold nugget thank you!
 
Hi @copsham
I am delighted to hear the stretches worked for you. If I can come up with any more "little nuggets", I will definitely pass them on. Have a great day! :)
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom