THR copsham's recovery thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just popped in after work to check, hope silence equals good activities

Legin THR Sep 14
 
Thanks @Legin I am in a weird "I don't know how I am " phase.

Three days ago my hip, my back, and my neck were really aching. I suppose physically just out of line. Then an "Even up" thing to put on other shoe to make it same height as boot, arrived. Put it on and it really helped to get me in line and felt good. So good infact that I had a normal day with out thinking it out. I did this, that and the other with my boot and my "Even up" on. I was like normal and did not even think about it. I went out of my front door and fifty yards walk down our lane (pathway very steep) by myself for the first time in three months. The enormity of this is ridiculous. I felt good and decided to increase it a little bit every day. Then yesterday I was really suffering, foot swollen, throbbing, hip the worst it has been since pre op, really paying for having an active day the day before. Oh well I put in an appearance at the "Over did it Club" and now have to pay for it.

My hip is the most sore its been and my foot is swollen so elevating and icing and being lazy. This yo-yoing around is hard to take. After 10 weeks of non weight bearing I have a taster of going forward and then it is quickly snatched away and I am back to lazing around, elevating, icing etc. One minute i am getting confidence to go out of the front door, then I have to ice and elevate because I have over done it. One minute I think I am healing but the next I feel as if I am never going to be active ever again. I know I need to chill out, going to do some of my Headspace meditation in a minute.

[Bonesmart.org] copsham's recovery thread
 
Oh coppers so giving you a hug. Of course it will all hurt after all you did . I have so been there. I know the whole thing of normality is but a wee grasp away but its a hill covered in soap and you slide back. Just try to stop and set yourself wee attainable targets. Your muscles in hip are shouting as for weeks they have done nought, and your foot thought you had achieved the power of levitation so its gone all soft on you. You will get there and before we know it there will be the cry of anderley as speed kazalez whizzes by. Do your thought thing then YouTube the two ronnies four candles sketch (fork handles). Pure genius................ Reaching over the wall to give you a hug lass


Legin THR Sep 14
 
Aah thanks @Legin (whoops just noticed your new avatar) I appreciate your sentiments as one thing for sure on Bonesmart YOU understand
normality is but a wee grasp away but its a hill covered in soap and you slide back.

So true exactly. I feel as if I have been on that hill Jan - March then June until now and my body and mind are protesting. Still like you said small attainments are the order of the day
 
Hi I too am thinking of you and hope you can practice a bit of chill time. It truly is so hard to want to do stuff, actually doing stuff, then paying for that by being in so much pain. It certainly is most frustrating and such a knock down .

hope you get on the up again soon, loads of love xx
 
Thank you @Suzette you are so thoughtful. I was slipping in to doing what I can, not pacing myself. Today I laid down on the sofa in the middle of the day icing and elevating. Feels a better ending to the day as a consequence x
 
@copsham Hi, strangely enough I understand how you are feeling, the good news from my perspective is that it sounds like you are at a transition point to a more mobile and progressive state, given your mindset and approach. No saying when it's going to come but I'm betting it's not far away. Enjoy the active/rest cycle and planning what fun comes next.

Good luck and have a great recovery day


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
So sorry to hear you had a little mess up in your recovery. But, it does sound like you may have overdone it, just a smidgen. You are learning your limits and it's going to take time, I'm afraid, to get your body back...you did have two surgeries ya know, that has effected everything in your body. It is wonderful to hear that the insert has helped, though. Like others have said, you will wake up one day and your pain and discomfort will be gone. I pray that day is soon, my friend. Sending you lots of hugs and good wishes, from across the pond!
 
This overdoing thing is the hardest to balance out! You feel good, you want to move. Moving is good. But too much moving is bad.:umm: Find that good balance and stay with it. I'm working on that myself!
 
So sorry that you are still struggling @copsham
It's a real pain when you get a sense of the freedom from all the pain one day & it feels like it's snatched away again. You will regain your stamina & be free from all this......x


Sent from my iPad using BoneSmart Forum
 
I really cannot imagine the cabin fever you had from both the surgery and the fall. Thoughts of chasing butterflies in sunny meadows and splashing in waves laughed at me and my cabin fever was only half of what yours turned out to be. Pace yourself sweetie! You don't want to prolong this half healed phase of risk another huge set back. Self imposed limits are a must right now. Missing your trip sounds like a severe blow :( sorry darlin'. Next yr you'll be all healed up and enjoy the trip a thousand times more. Have a good week :) No rough housing!


RTHR, posterior, 15JUN2015
 
Hi @copsham ,
You will get better. I'm sure. Your soreness is a passing phase and then you will be able to enjoy going out in the open air again. What always helps of course is a good night sleep. That helped me a lot. Could you put on some good music or read a good book while elevating and icing?
Hugs from Constanze
 
Oh what a great lot of Bonesmart friends. I appreciate everyone's comments. I do go forward in small ways but being now 10 weeks post foot injury I feel that I have had enough. I do need to elevate and ice more and more. I did some very gentle stretching exercise this morning and yesterday and that seems to have helped my hip a bit thanks goodness. Today I sat in the car, hubby gone for a walk and I looked out over the marshes-, sun shining began to plan a walk myself then thought 'no' getting stuck in the mud is not wise and potentially dangerous.

@Constanze @Hoppy Nanny and @Tweefishy the feeling of not getting better can definitely hijack my recovery, I know what you all say is so true! @pamac finding that balance is the answer but so elusive at times.
@AndyH99 I am planning for next years holidays as a way to keep me positively about the future. I never expected my recovery to be so up and down.
@Nana757 love your sentiments. I feel a lot better today .... your hugs and best wishes from across the pond must be working.

Big thank you to all X
 
Hi all
I am as up and down as ever. Had some good spurts of energy followed by drain but at least that is something to build on. Doing very gentle stretches is helping my poor overloaded hip. My aircast boot is making my foot hot and uncomfortable and itchy. i can walk without it but shouldn't do so as it is to protect the foot from bumps and bruises. I will not be able to drive for another month or so. I have not driven in 3 months and as I can only walk about 30 metres can't go out independently. WOW to put all of that in perspective I visited an elderly 99 yrs old housebound woman today. She is lovely but struggling. She says she does not know if she will see her hundredth birthday. Who am I to complain?

My positives are one good strong replaced hip and other hip does not need doing, my foot has healed well comparatively quickly, even though not yet mobile.

Thinking of you all and will catch up with threads tomorrow x
 
[Bonesmart.org] copsham's recovery thread @Legin thanks for your ongoing support you are much appreciated!
 
You have such a fab, positive attitude despite all your trials, of late @copsham & helping others too!
You are a star! Do hope that things get better for you soon x


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart®
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom