Guest viewing is limited

THR copsham's recovery thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well, again thank you for all those kind sentiments!

My appointment is over and I am now officially on the mend. Non weight bearing is a thing of the past (fingers crossed). I now have a very manky leg, flakey skin and wasted muscles (TMI?) having been in plaster and not exercised normally for 8 weeks. I have a boot with inflatable air pockets to support my foot for the next 6 weeks. I can actually put my weight on the injured foot for a about one minute. I will be referred for physio but doctor did not know how long that would take. As in @Tweefishy 's suggestion I asked for the physio referral to include relevance to my hip and my foot. Just to stand up and gingerly walk a few steps was luxury both physically and mentally. My foot is happy and my hip can stretch properly.

There's all sorts of funny feelings in my foot. Big toe is totally numb, the top of my foot is numb, the metal plate can be seen near the surface but i can completely rotate my ankle and stand on my foot and walk for a minute with the support of my boots. what a difference one appointment can make. They are happy for me to go swimming so when I have mastered walking bit more that is what I will do. I have got through the horrible stage I was in with out harming my hip significantly. Whopee
[Bonesmart.org] copsham's recovery thread What would I do without you all?
 
Oh @copsham that is great I am really happy for you... just dont over do it...mind you if it was me...I would have been attempting the stairs as soon as I got home!! Then lying on the bed and thinking...ooh this is just great..then nodding off for a while..

Xxx
 
@copsham
That is wonderful news, my dear! I know you must be ecstatic with the freedom you now have to complete your recovery. Every day you will see improvement from the day before! Best of luck to you!
 
What a coincidence as usual @Legin - I was just talking to a friend on the phone saying that I would love to go to China (went there 15 yrs ago), then your message re Beijing!

@Suzette and @Legin you are so right about not overdoing it. I was so shocked by this mornings positive appt that I handout got my head around not overdoing it. I am just so relieved I got through the worst re my foot without damaging my hip. x
 
So glad for good news for you @copsham
Yes, I'll add my tuppenyworth...don't overdo it! Take it slow and you will soon be going everything you want to..and more I'm sure. Things can only get better for you....love Chrissie x



Sent from my iPad using BoneSmart Forum
 
Thank you @Hoppy Nanny. This is like the early weeks of hip replacement when there is so much to learn, seeming like a new issue every few days! x
 
Chortle re China. Had visions of you doing triple jump ie hop skip jump, then bounce over high jump only to land in long jump sand. Good sand castle as well

Legin THR Sep 14
 
@copsham Fantastic news, upwards and onwards to the next phase of recovery now - WooHoo!!

You can blame @Cynthia777 for this image, but I have a vision of 100's of hippies doing the butt clench Mexican wave cheering your good news. I'm scarred for life I tell you, scarred!!! Lol

Have a great day and may the good news continue to roll in.


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
Hi all
Thanks for your inspiring comments! I now have a problem which is "I have got nothing to worry about"! My ankle and foot, out of the cast for 24 hours, is really moving well. I thought bed would be uncomfortable for my foot but it wasn't. I feel foot needs lots of massage and TLC to try to get the numb areas back to normal. I am only allowed to walk with aircast boot on for next 6 weeks. It sounds like you all can imagine what it feels like to walk and be upright again. I can fill a kettle up and put it on with out having to juggle, hands on frame or in wheelchair. I went upstairs last night on two feet (not bottom) for the first time in 9 weeks. Last night I slept for 6 hours which for me is good. So all in all can't be bad.

I will need to keep a careful eye on hip as it is protesting at the moment, slight pain in groin. I think it's from wearing the boot which must be at least an inch higher than my other shoe. I no doubt will have my ups and downs in getting my foot as fully recovered as possible, with out harming my hip.

I went through a really low period for the past 2-3 weeks. I have never in my life been through a time like it. So a genuine thank you to everyone who supported me. Be in touch!
[Bonesmart.org] copsham's recovery thread
 
@copsham
I am so happy to hear you finally have a sense of freedom. It only gets better from here. I have a suggestion for you, when wearing the boot. Just to keep the feeling of being evenly balanced, try an insert in your opposite shoe. It may not help at all, but it might be worth a try. I know the weight of the boot can be very cumbersome, so please be careful and be deliberate in your steps. Are you still using a walking aid, or just the boot? Foot massages make a huge difference, as well! My DH got me one of those portable foot massage units from Bed, Bath and Beyond and it did the trick...but having him give me an actual massage was even better!
 
Hi @copsham - so pleased to hear the good news. I join the 24000 or so bonesmart members before me (hihihi) and all I can say is: Enjoy your new freedom. Good luck mastering this new recovery. Do keep us up to date.

Now this may give you something new to "worry about" if you can't think of anything now (sorry for this bad "joke", but I learned this from my husband - he is really good at bad jokes) :) :
How about worrying about planning your next holiday? Well I wish you good luck, good health, no more setbacks, and all the best for your future -Constanze
 
I agree use heel raise in shoe, I use one as my silly foot is always swollen, it does help with gait and takes pressure of the hip.

Legin THR Sep 14
 
@copsham congratulations. So glad to see light at the end of the tunnel. You are an inspiration to others as you share your journey. I love your adaptations and understand how frustrating it is to accomplish small stuff. Sending the best hugs and thoughts to you.
 
@Legin this morning I was trying to work out what to use as a heal raise to match my aircastboot not easy! I folded up newspaper that slipped around used a sole from an old pair of shoes that was not thick enough. Oh well hopefully more creative tomorrow.

@Constanze I really want to plan for holidays but at 2 days since cast I am not quite confident enough, so I have to dream rather than plan!

@sunbunny love your sentiments all the way from North Carolina.

@Granny Di - love your emoticons - new knowledge to me - emoticons stand for emotional icon - so there you go
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom