Guest viewing is limited

THR copsham's recovery thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
@copsham I hear what your saying. I have taken care of people all my life (nurse). Being in the opposite position has been really hard for me. I take care of people not the other way around. Yep, I didn't have any stuffing left! I had a fractured ankle a few years back. I had such anxiety and left the hospital with crutches. Nope, I couldn't use them without killing myself. Anyway, I went to ortho after weekend and he wanted to put a cast on. I refused as it would have made me crazy. Had the moon boot for quite a while. I was only non-weight bearing for a weekend and I feel for you. That is so hard! Your at the light at the end of your tunnel. I wish you the best on Monday.
 
So happy to hear you had a good night's sleep @copsham. Once you are able to do some weight bearing, you will improve every day and before you know it, all this will just be a memory.
 
@copsham it's not impossible to get a therapist who can address your foot with your hip in mind. But, at least here in the US, they are required to address the issue for which the PT was ordered.

Here's my experience:

In March I badly sprained my ankle--did everything but break it. I went to Urgent Care, and the dr there recommended PT. There just happens to be a PT office right next door to the Urgent Care office, so, using the extremely discerning criteria of "It's close to my house", I signed up for PT for my ankle at that PT office. Now this was in the midst of my pre-THR research (which, incidentally, is on the same side of my ankle sprain), so I explained my situation to the therapist who did the intake for my ankle. He did say that he prescribed some exercises that would be appropriate to work both the ankle and the hip.

The day I was to be discharged for the ankle, I walked in to that same PT office with new orders (from one of the OSs that I had 'interviewed' for the position of "He who is to replace my hip"). These were orders for a pre-hab of sorts, working the hip to (in my mind) solidify the idea that it needed to be replaced, and to prepare as much as possible for the probable operation. Again, I think that my ankle was taken into consideration, but the focus was definitely on the hip this time.

I also went back to that same office after THR (with a third set of orders from a third doctor). I'm happy to say that my ankle is pretty much a non-issue. And I've been happy with the care with which the therapists have addressed my various 'issues'. I think it has helped to have the ability to have such continuity--the same therapists before and after surgery.
 
Thanks @agileHippie That description is helpful. At least they did not compromise either ankle or hip!


I actually slept reasonably again 12- 7am waking up once in the middle of the night. I think after 3-4 mights of good sleep I will feel reasonable again!

@Suzette - did you sleep okay?
 
That sleep pattern is sounds pretty good to me. Last night, baring a brief interlude for meds & the toilet I managed from 12-7:30, it felt amazing when I woke naturally without significant pain. Long may it continue for all of us.

Have a great recovery day


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
@copsham
I am so happy to hear you have had 2 good nights of sleep. May your nights be filled with blissful sleep and sweet dreams from now on.
 
Hi I am so glad you slept last night. I managed about 6 with drugs though, not totally sure if the sleep is drug induced whether it is proper sleep, if you know what I mean.

I think you are going to have to do what you say and everytime they give you an exercise for your foot, mention your hip too. Its the only way they are going to get a grip on you are not just a foot.
The chiropractor yesterday told me that exercise in the water is probably the best way to go. So i too need to investigate and just do it instead of just saying I will.

Really really hoping you can get things put in place with PT or hydrotherapy that will look out for your foot and your hip. It must be so very frustrating to know what you could manage on the crutches before and what you can manage now. It is also amazing how quick we can loose muscle strength and tone! !

I did giggle at your glass mosaic description though.

Well the thunder storms have arrived and it is soo humid ...lets hope a good rest comes our way again xx loads of love to you xx
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Hi @copsham I must apologise for delays in writing on your thread, I am not getting alerts etc and when I posted a few minutes ago another page appeared...I thought I had been taking too many meds for a moment !!

I will turn my tablet off and back on again. That fixes everything, doesnt it ??!! Xx
 
@copsham Hi, this might be a completely useless idea for you so feel free to throw it in the bin (as always ). But, back in my competitive powerlifting days lifters quite regularly had debilitating injuries given the stupidly heavy weights we used to move around, the thing we did to try and get around it was to treat each area to its own independent training regime until recovery allowed them to work together e.g. Hamstring injury on one leg, then single legged leg press and leg extensions for the other leg and only seated calf raises for the damaged one, and we'd up another body areas work to try and keep something moving e.g. shoulders if legs were out of action.

I know this isn't anywhere near the same thing as our current challenges and our collective current states of health isn't really conducive to hitting the gym (just the thought is making me grimace atm), but if the idea hadn't occurred to you I thought it might help to be able to get something positive from each area on an independent basis rather than as a collective unit.

I'll get back in my box now, just smile sweetly and invoke the ID 10 T rule if needed

Hope your days going ok and the extra sleep is paying off.



Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
Hi Andy
That might be useful once I have my cast off as then I want my foot to go forward and my hip to go forward. Then it would follow to treat each bit independently. So hopefully helpful from Monday onwards.

What I have found difficult is being told I must not do this that and the other in relation to my foot and then I later find this has a huge effect on my hip. I think everything will fall into place when finally i get my cast off and get back to swimming again.

Am I stupid? I just looked up what the ID 10 T rule was! Thought it might be something to do with golf or I.T. Urban dictionary translates it as IDIOT oh well made me laugh! Much appreciated Andy!
 
My pleasure and I'm keeping things crossed for you.


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
I have some ideas for you regarding pt not treating the whole person. Can you have you general physician write the orders to say that the pt is for BOTH the foot AND the hip. If they only get the order to help the foot, then that is literally all they can address. The orders must say both or you will likely continue to have your hip ignored. Make an apt if you have to with the gp, explain what happens at pt and tell them they must write the order so that pt understands both issues clearly and then they can treat both. Don't leave until you see this action done. Good luck darling!!!! I'm so glad you finally get to walk again!


RTHR, posterior, 15JUN2015
 
Hiya Coppers, my physio was all to happy to look at the whole picture. In fact she had me walk between mirrors to emphasise how I needed to change to get both sides more normal. Medically speaking it should be the goal as well in this cash scrapped society as it stops ongoing treatment being the cause of future treatment needed.

Legin THR Sep 14
 
Hi @copsham hope you get a good night tonight and manage to relax and sleep. Will be thinking of you tomorrow xxxxx
 
Last edited by a moderator:
@copsham
Keeping you in my thoughts and prayers. You have been through the ringer dear and it's just not fair. I heard someone say once that God gives us trials so that we stay close to Him. He must have you very close and in His arms. Take care.
 
Sorry, been off forum for awhile! You broke your foot?!? Hope its not too sore now (not sure when about it happened) and keep your chin up old bean xx
 
Ponders does coppers know how many times a person can fall over with everything crossed....

Legin THR Sep 14
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom