Guest viewing is limited

THR copsham's recovery thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thought I heard the cry, Eureka.....

Legin THR Sep 14
 
Hi @Legin you might have heard me shout "Eureka" but maybe you heard "Thank you wonderful Hippies" or "Yippee what next" or you might have heard me whisper "how much longer?" ..... x
 
You no we will get there Coppers, just that life throws the odd diversion along the way. As ever here for you lass.

Legin THR Sep 14
 
@copsham hang on, we are almost at the next checkpoint and whatever happens there we will proceed ahead. I also worry about getting news that I will need to extend partial weight bearing but don't think it will happen. I have to use this hip at some point don't I. Either way next week we will have a little more freedom and be a little closer to our desired recovery.

I am planning to go back to work next Wednesday no matter what. I have been in the process of arranging some parking and that will help make it easier. I did work last Friday for about 5 hours and went in yesterday to work for about 5 hours also. It is the beginning of the semester at the university so some things just need to get done. I also think it was a good way for me to test my stamina and work up to full time.

I do agree that a good nights sleep makes all the difference, especially mentally. You are getting creative and that is a good thing. I am amazed at what I have learned to do with my crutches and grabber. The other day I went out to my garden and picked some tomatoes using the grabber. It made me very happy to figure out a way to do that.
 
Hi @copsham I am really sorry it hurts so much to get up the stairs on your bottom and so sorry for you and your mom too. Terrible disease. I understand the complicated childhood and siblings....

I did just 2.5 hours work today and got really tired...all I was doing was sorting out emails. Am in again tomorrow for 3 hrs and will see if the meeting occurs.

Cant believe how tiring sitting at a desk made me...ridicilous.

I too am still only getting about 4 hrs sleep. Last night woke in a fair bit of right hip pain again then woke up due to a nightmare about the planet if the apes trying to kill me...and now am fairly awake...worse luck.

I hope you get some sleep and rest. Thinking if you xx
 
Thanks @Susie4034 it seems a long rollercoaster this time but yes we will get there! I feel so fortunate not to have to go back to work having retired. I love the image of your tomatoes being picked with the grabber!
x
 
Hi @Suzette thanks for the sentiments much appreciated. Remember you had two major surgeries in one, just 8 weeks ago. No wonder you get tired. I wish you could take longer off but I know practicalities do not allow. I feel tired now but by the time i get to bed who knows. This is certainly a long haul. Good luck with tomorrow x
 
Thank you , it certainly is a long haul for you..... I too get into bed and then wake up. Its like the routine of getting there, brushing teeth etc and taraa I am awake again. What a pain it is.

Am hoping that trying to get a routine going again in the day, I can sort the sleep routine out...

Somehow at work conversation got onto the hip op, I think it was when discussing return to work hours...I said that I had just had 2 major surgeries, She said that wasn't true, I only had one surgery and that I couldnt use that as an excuse...not sure what that meant? So I said well double the aneathesia and double the blood loss and double the time to do 2 legs which were ragged about and hammered ...then just carried on working. Very strange it is.

So if I cant do the hours next week I will stay on part time for longer...

Hope you get a better sleep downstairs tonight x x
 
copsham said:
Likewise I was getting back to norm in April/May and then in June the fall and broken foot. I feel for you with the fracture being on your operated side and think that is so stressful for the opposite side to deal with all of this. I hope you knee problem is stress that can be managed with exercise/stretching/acupuncture/chiro etc. I suppose an X-ray will tell more. Were you non weight bearing when you had the cast on? Where is your stress fracture? did anything particular cause it? Was it connected to the fact you had had your hip done? Mine wasn't. Inquisition over! My greatest empathy to you. Big hugs being sent London to New York.

I think the stress fracture in the foot was caused by my commute to work....wasn't so graceful slapping my foot down and up 80 stairs a day. Also, think I made a mistake by not starting back on calcium supplements after I got the clear to take them again after clot precautions. Ironically, the boot I had to wear caused the thigh muscles in my operated leg to get stronger...and I wore a leg lift device on my shoe on the other leg so I would have somewhat of an even gait. When all went off...and I go back to walking just regularly...everything is messed up. My alignment is so off kilter! So...hopping along to a PT with expertise with hips, icing, using compression socks and stretching....blah blah! A co-worker asked me today if I regretted having the operation...(I couldn't go out with my department for cocktails as my foot was blown up)....and I said that I have no regrets. The pain I have now is nothing to what I had before. This is just a blip in OUR recovery timeline and 1 year from now it may even be forgotten...! Hugs to you Cops!

p.s. feel for you/major hugs re your Mother. Very difficult disease, more so for those having to watch and support their loved ones. Glad she is in a good facility.
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Ooh @copsham
You are having a rough ride of this at the moment, I do hope, no...I know , things will improve for you. It just seems that sometimes the heavens conspire against you. I think, from experience, that the pain & disability pre op, the major op & THR recovery and the stress it all puts on the rest of your body, is majorly underestimated by everyone except BoneSmarties. It takes a good long time to get back to full health for some of us with other health issues along the way. We are all rooting for. You are such a big help to everyone on this site & we all want the best for you.

It's so sad about your Mum and tough for you with all what's going on. I had a similar experience with my Mum and it was so difficult (I, too, had a 'different' childhood).

Sending love & hugs......loving your 'eureka' moment....hope the book helps....nothing like your own bed.

Take care Chrissie x.


Sent from my iPad using BoneSmart Forum
 
Stay strong @copsham , we're here with you for the rough and the smooth, keep the posts coming and we'll no doubt attempt to keep you distracted in as many ways as possible on this last leg (poor pun intended).

Sympathies re: your mother, it's a terrible situation so let's hope the good days outweigh the bad and the facility staff help make things as stress free as humanly possible for all concerned.

Good luck.


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
I know you totally understand your mums condition and whilst she may not recognise you sometimes at.least it was good being there. I'm so rooting for you lass and for your hopes, wishes and yes needs, take care paln

Legin THR Sep 14
 
Thank you every one for your sentiments today - so much appreciated. At times I can cut off from the difficulties around me and at other times they seem over whelming. It is weird and wonderful how the situation is the same and the only difference is my response to situation. For the first time in months my hip really ached at night. I have been so careful not to over strain it but I am bordering on doing so. I so want and need to get up stairs but it is not good for it. But the fortunate thing is that my cast should be taken off next Monday so that will be a start of "learning how to walk again" as the physio put it!
 
@copsham
I so hope you have a restful night. You have been and are going through so much, you deserve some good sleep and sweet dreams. Hang in there sweetie. I'll be thinking about you and you and @AndyH99 can share the sleep fairies I'm sending across the pond. :sleep::sleep:
 
Hi there! Just a few more days and hopefully you'll be walking up those stairs, not scooting on an old phone book ;) I'm so sorry to have to experience alzeimers with your mom. It's a heartbreaking disease to watch and little things like a drive in the country really do bridge the gap. I hope you can get back to your ritual soon.
I have not been sleeping well at all lately and can't blame it on my bed being upstairs. Hang in there hon!!! Hoping you get the clear to walk!!!!!


RTHR, posterior, 15JUN2015
 
Thank you again all you lovely people.
@Nana757 dare I say the sleep fairies that you sent did their magic! Hope they did for @AndyH99 too. I slept from midnight, stirred at 4 am then slept til 7am. This is a real break through. Strangely I don't think that I ate, drank or took anything different. Hope this continues.

@Tweefishy thanks for your lovely words. How is your father in law now? Hope he has a bit of peace?
@AndyH99 talking of distraction i bought a book described as Romatic comedy and i can even shed a tear a at that. I did a bit of the glass mosaic but when I completed the first piece I felt it would be in keeping with an infant school class room. Hopefully on Monday my physio regime will distract me and take me forward.

Just noticed my hip scar is getting blue around the edges... what ever next?
 
Monday Physio apt - ideas?

On Monday after X-rays of my foot and most likely cast off, I will have what will be the first of my physio appointments "to get me walking again". I have previously had very good and very poor physio input. I want to do everything I can to get my foot able to walk properly again BUT not at the expense of my opposite operated hip. So far no one has understood the need to see me as a whole. The last physio I saw, I explained about the importance of my hip and she agreed and then ignored it.

In the past nine weeks my hip has definitely got weaker. I used to be able to do about 20 steps on crutches and now only about 6 before my hip refuses to move or nearly collapses. i need to build both up but not at the expense of the other. It seems that a physio has a set of exercises for THR and a set of exercises for Lisfranc injury to foot and they need to be creative in combining the different needs.

I was writing to you all to ask for ideas as to how to deal with this but as I write I think I have cleared my mind. I need to explain clearly and then every exercise given ask about the implications for the hip. Also thinking aloud I will to see if I can get my self referred for hydrotherapy this will be much more helpful and the physios in the hydro pool were more mature and had confidence to be flexible in their approach.

Sorry for this ramble but it has been a useful way to work out what to do x


 
You are one brave and strong woman! I can't even imagine the hell you've been through. I truly hope that come Monday it will all be behind you. Praying for you.
 
Oh Elaine thank you. I do not feel brave and strong but will readily accept it if you say so! It is strange I think lots of people on this forum will identify with always being strong and taking care of others then suddenly being vulnerable and cared for others. It certainly "knocks the stuffing" out of us. take care.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom