THR copsham's recovery thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hope your absence is because you are busy lass

Legin THR Sep 14
 
Hi all
I have been away for the past couple of days. In the mountains of Wales - no internet connection, so have missed you all. Only 2 days but seems like 2 weeks. Will be in touch!

Going away made me feel unsettled. It emphasised what I cannot do. Just getting from hotel room to breakfast made me really shaky. I sat and watched the scenery rather that walking in it. I have decided no more trips away for me until I have the moonboot and can walk at least a little!
 
I was gonna say @copsham that if you felt like it seemed like 2 weeks rather than 2 days, then the away time must be working. But, then, I read the rest of your post. I'm so sorry it hasn't been as pleasant as you had hoped and wanted. But just think...it really can only get better from where you are and were. Keep those happy thoughts!
 
It is difficult looking out at that scenery so tantalisingly close but feeling light years away. Time is marching on you it just feels like that finish line isn't standing still. Try to get back to being able to do what you can now. At least at home things are set up better to allow you to get about better. Have you started your mosiac things. I found I did some historical research things for me it was music. I would offer to play rock paper scissors but I'm no good I tear the paper and drop the rock on my silly foot. Keep smiling lass

Legin THR Sep 14
 
@Legin thanks for your post - the idea of the finishing line not standing still is so true! Yesterday I got stung by a wasp. I did not have an allergic reaction thank god but very hot, swollen itchy arm. I took antihistamines and they promptly made me sleep all day to day in a sort of giddy sleep. It made me feel like the first week post hip op. I feel that at some point I will trick the finishing like and I will get past it! Haven't started the mosaic glass thing yet - I have been too busy - doing nothing! x
 
Its so OK I know the circle of pain no advancement well, but then suddenly whoop da dooop progress

Legin THR Sep 14
 
We are getting closer, just a little over a week. We are going to make it. It does seem like time has slowed down a little these last two weeks.
 
Hi @Susie4034 -my fellow non weight bearer! 8 days to my appointment and 9 days until yours. I fear they will say it is best if I do another 6 weeks (!) of NWB but this is not on the cards though. Are you still planning to go back to work the day after? i have no idea how I will be after the appt. i do not know if I have to be PWB for many weeks or just until I can manage to full weight bear? I fear that having my cast off will just be the beginning of an other saga. Oh well hopefully forward together!
 
Hi @copsham, sorry your Wales trip highlighted stuff for you. It's just rubbish, I felt a bit down in the dumps the last few days, so disapeared for a bit, plus I am not getting any notifications, so I must log in and check manually as I am missing posts.

I really really really hope you do not have to keep weight off for another 6 weeks......

Thinking of your predicament makes my bum and thigh ache fade into something I need to get on top of myself, as I am finding these medical people pretty useless at offering advice and help just lately.

So onwards and upwards and back to work part time ish tomorrow.

Keep smiling xxxoxo
 
@copsham
Sorry your Holiday in Wales only highlighted your predicament......sometimes home is the only place at times like this. I do hope your appointment goes well & they don't extend your NWB.....it must be very soul destroying for you. Here's hoping the next week or so goes quickly & you get some good news.....you certainly deserve it....I will be thinking of you....love Chrissie xxx


Sent from my iPad using BoneSmart Forum
 
Hi @copsham , just logging in to send my warm and sunshiny wishes to England. But the sun has gone and it has become cold and overcast here, so the sun is in my heart and my soul. I really really wish your appointment in one week will go ok and that they won't extend the non-weight-bearing. The glass mosaique sounds like a beautiful thing to do - very nice hobby. I wish you all the strength. Do keep us up to date and pluck up the courage. Hugs, Constanze
 
Hi @Legin yes thanks for asking! I am okay but life is getting complicated. My left op hip is beginning to really ache. I just hope it does not give way or get worse before cast is taken off on Monday. Got stung by a wasp this morning I didn't have too bad a reaction at first but now it is throbbing and swollen up and down my arm. so its ice and elevate for this too.

I had a lift to see my mother today (in final stages of dementia) and she was even more down hill. Until I had my foot in plaster , her highlight was me taking her for a 20 min country drive which I did once or twice a week as part of a visit. Today she didn't know me, smiled politely and decided to go back to bed to sleep. So I just feel sad. Usually I brush those sort of feelings aside but i reckon it is okay to feel sad (for a while any way).

I thinks the stars or heavens are conspiring against me but there will be better to come! Hope all is well your end and don't over do it! Be in touch soon.
 
Oh Dear Copsham - I haven't been on in the longest time because....things seemed to have been going well and life was getting busy. I hope your foot recovery is progressing nicely. It is so disappointing when we go through all we do to have a replacement and then have setbacks. I too have been on the mend and hoping for some advice....had a stress fracture in same leg as replacement. Cast on for 6 weeks....now 2 weeks off and I am having opposite leg knee pain to the point of not being able to walk without a cane. On a knee brace and have an appointment with surgeon in 2 weeks....sigh....
 
things seemed to have been going well and life was getting busy.
@mydog Likewise I was getting back to norm in April/May and then in June the fall and broken foot. I feel for you with the fracture being on your operated side and think that is so stressful for the opposite side to deal with all of this. I hope you knee problem is stress that can be managed with exercise/stretching/acupuncture/chiro etc. I suppose an X-ray will tell more. Were you non weight bearing when you had the cast on? Where is your stress fracture? did anything particular cause it? Was it connected to the fact you had had your hip done? Mine wasn't. Inquisition over! My greatest empathy to you. Big hugs being sent London to New York.

I never realised originally what a stress on our bodies a fracture and cast are. My whole body feels out of alignment. I get shoulder ache when I use my knee scooter too much, thumb joint agony when i use the crutches, back ache if I stand on one leg too long, psychological ache when I do literally nothing for several days (except go to the loo). I have been very protective of my op hip and until today I have been proud to say "my op hip is fine"

I had spent 8 weeks of sleeping downstairs on sofa bed, then last night decided I was going to force myself to get upstairs. I "bottom shuffled " up which was a great strain as my arms were too short and I was twisting my op hip to get on the next step up, behind me. i don't know if that makes sense but my op hip is now throbbing and aching in the groin. I will ice and elevate in a minute but will not be going up again until I can do it on my feet. Its a pity because I actually slept for 7 hours last night rather than my usual 3-4-5 hours downstairs.

This feels like a game of snakes and ladders which started when we first got our bad hips a long, long time ago.

@Legin look after yourself today, no more damage please!
@Constanze it is sunny here this morning. There are clouds on the horizon that are white and pointed so look like the Alps (no harm in dreaming) I love hearing of your swimming in the lake and running in the forest what an achievement to get back to that post op.
@Susie4034 It is strange how the 2 weeks building up to the next appointment seems to go so slowly only five days to go.. Before this the weeks seem to rush by.
@Hoppy Nanny I love your avatar such a gorgeous (but tiring) puppy.
@Suzette - I presume it is not a work day to day - so pamper yourself in what ever way you can
@Nana757 you are doing so well less than 3 weeks post op. Your DH must look at the youtube video of the op I think he will then understand why you feel slowly but surely is the best approach not push yourself through the pain!!
@AndyH99 "The really strange thing is I can walk backwards with one crutch or stick" picture us all me "bottom shuffling, you going backward - all very creative in the aim of mobility!!
@Nana moon 27 last but not least - how are you? I picture you at Bryncrug with the hills behind you and sea in front with shock horror no broadband x
 
Hi @copsham , I really like reading your posts. You're so friendly.
One thing that occurred to me with regard to physical stress: Keep warm. I don't know what temperatures are like in southern England now but this morning, when I cycled to work, I froze. My hips were fine but my hands holding the handle-bars were all stiff. I slowed down. Don't want to damage any muscles because they're cold. Not sure whether I need gloves next time I cycle (in August!). And I will definitely wrap up warm when running in the forest - not like some of the men who run in shorts in the middle of winter. Did I tell you how I was caught limping in Australia? While there was no pain, this chap noticed something. Must have been exhaustion from wandering around the shopping centres and carrying heavy shopping/cold mornings/not eating properly/catching a cold or a combination of all these things. I don't want this to happen again.

I do feel for you - it's so sad about your mum. Can you talk to your family about how you feel, especially your husband? That helps. If, however, they experience too much stress about it, you can always post on bonesmart. BTW did you see the film Still Alice - about this 50-year old who had early-onset Alzheimer dementia. Her family, especially her younger daughter was very supportive - very sad film but I thought it was very good, very realistic, too.

So when is your next appointment for having your foot checked? Hope all goes well - take care - Constanze
 
Hey the sleep is a biggie. Its worth the stair shuffle. You know at times.like this you really appreciate the depth of support that the members give to each other.

Legin THR Sep 14
 
Thanks @Constanze
In England our weather is very variable at the moment. I tend to feel hot temp wise very easily. When I bumped myself bottom wise, all the way up the stairs I felt boiling!!

Thank you as well for your empathy re my mother with dementia. Overall I have coped with it very well. I am very lucky that she is in an excellent nursing home where staff are so kind to her.


Surprisingly the only forum that I have ever seen that is similar in support as Bonesmart is the Alzheimers Org Forum which I was solidly a part of a few years ago. Just like having hip surgery is a journey, so is supporting someone with dementia a journey. I have gained a lot from it, relationship with mother healed, and we had a good phase. I was like her mother and she appreciated me doing little things like taking her out for a drive. Then she had the phase when she lost almost all "real memory" and the way to be was just to go with her flow about what ever she thought or believed. At one point she thought I had eloped, to Scotland to get married because I was having a baby (aged 64!). This year she has seen me in a wheelchair, with crutches re hip op and then in a plaster cast on foot and cannot make sense of it. I do have the support of my husband, siblings less so because of our complicated childhood though.

This morning I decided that i was not going up the stairs again on my bottom as my hip was hurting and I did not want to make it worse. Then I had a creative brain wave I will use a large thick book on the stair to make a half way step so that I do not have to twist my hip so much to get up there. I will try this later on.

I am counting the days to my appointment which is next monday and most likely will be able to start partial weight bearing with cast off from then on.
xx
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom