BoneSmart® Hip / Knee Replacement Forum
Knee Replacement & Hip Replacement
Patient Advocacy & Online Community
  1. Your support makes a difference...BoneSmartie Member

Industry changes have drastically reduced orthopedic partner contributions, which for 13+ years supported the operation and development of BoneSmart.org.

Our patient-focused articles and world-class joint replacement community forum have helped millions of people. Your gift today provides the important funds necessary to keep this valuable resource online.

Donate Now
    Dismiss Notice

[THR] Compression stockings

Discussion in 'Hip Replacement Recovery Area' started by YoungHippy, Apr 4, 2016.

1. YoungHippy

YoungHippy Member

United States United States
    Busy few days! Found my dream ride on CL on Monday and made my uncle take me to see it same day. He test drove for me and everything. Went back yesterday and handled all the title, tags and insurance parts. Now all that's left is the inspection to get my permanent tags, and Dr clearance to drive again.

Had not realized how unhandicap friendly my town is before now. My bank has no handicapped parking and their parking spaces are so small that it was a challenge getting the walker between cars. Very uneven steps to climb to go in also. They did have what was supposed to be a shorter line inside for people with wheelchairs, but I ended up standing in line for 45 minutes. My legs were shaking by the time I made it to the window to get cash.

My car insurance company is awesome though. We pulled up out front and mom popped the trunk to get my walker out, and the agent came running out and said she could help me without me hobbling inside. She also told me that anytime during this process that I needed anything to just call ahead and they would come to me outside. Guess it comes in handy dealing with the same people for over 20 years.

The tags agency is in the historic part of town. And by historic I mean very uneven side walks and a steep incline going in. Of course long lines since as a small town we only have 2 agents. Another long wait in there.

I had never realized how hard the basic errands were for people with walking aids and wheelchairs was before. I took that for granted before. I now have a whole other viewpoint on this. Even places that are supposedly handicapped equipped are full of uneven floors and other trip hazards. And bathrooms? Putting in a handrail beside a toilet that is so low that you have to squat to use it is not friendly. What were these people thinking?

I had my first outpatient PT session on Monday. I will be going twice a week until I am weight bearing again. But all they want to do with me is heel slides and leglifts until I am fully weight bearing. These are still hard for me and the PT guy says that I am not where I should be for this far out from surgery. My right leg is hard to lift getting into bed and cars. I keep forgetting my leg lifter so I had been helping myself by lifting as much as I could on my own and then pulling the rest of the way by grabbing the thigh part of my pants leg. That does work better with jeans than with jogging pants since the jogging pants stretch. He said that I shouldn't be doing that and that I should be able to move my leg without help at this point. I did remind him that I spent 4 months dislocated and not having much movement, but he said that shouldn't matter. Considering that for the first week after my surgery I needed someone else to lift that leg for me, and now I don't need help I thought I was making progress. According to him I will never gain any strength back in those thigh muscles until I can lift it without the lifter or pulling on my pants leg. For Thursday session he wants to start out with the tens machine to see if we can "jump start" those muscles. So I have to wear shorts. I haven't been able to shave the lower part of my legs since December. So that should be fun to see. Any one know of any exercises other than heel slides that would help to strengthen those thigh muscles? There just has to be a better way. Kinda discouraged at this point. PT also says that if I don't show enough progress in the next few weeks that he will recommend to my doctor that I shouldn't be driving.

• Like Like x 1
  2. PS46

PS46 Member

United Kingdom United Kingdom
    Hi @YoungHippy - really interesting post. Agree with what you say about steep inclines etc. Simple things like the camber on a kerb feel like mountains, don't they?
    It really made me appreciate how difficult it is for people with mobility issues. I always try to help, but will double my efforts! I must say though - and especially when I was walking with two sticks - how considerate and patient people have been to me
    .... which is not something you could say about your PT guy. It seems to me that he is trying to bully you into something you are not yet ready to do, when what he should be doing is supporting you - ok cajoling too - in your
    recovery. There is no such thing as where you "should" be. Everybody recovers differently and he should know both that and your history. You understand your body and what it can and cannot do at a particular point in time. I am not a medic and may be corrected by those who are, but I would listen to your body, not him!
    To coin an expression which we use, I would tell him to "sling his hook"
    Peter

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  3. Zelda

Zelda Graduate

I think your PT sounds very negative. You obviously have made progress and it's early days yet. I had a couple of movements I couldn't do for a few weeks and then suddenly the strength was back again. I was encouraged to grab my trouser to move my leg about - at this point it should be about giving you independence not making you feel you're doing something wrong!

Is it possible to swap to a different person?

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  4. gullimac

gullimac Graduate

There is no one standard rehab that can work for everyone. Not everyone will advance at the quickest possible pace because there are so many factors in play. I think that is at trap that medical professionals sometimes fall into. We hear so much about athletes and others making these amazingly quick recoveries and feel like eveyone should.

Your PT is correct in saying that you should not drive until you can lift that leg on your own and have good control over its movement, but you will get there. Using the stim machine can help remind that group of muscle of the firing pattern needed to get that leg moving.

• Agree Agree x 2
  5. keepmovin

keepmovin Member

Hi @YoungHippy - If you are still not fully weight bearing yet, there is no one place you should be. And, why would he have you doing heel slides? From one who's been down a similar road - 4 months non weight bearing, it's a slow journey back. I am 5 weeks and just beginning to bear full weight. I did my own PT at home and at this point, do not plan on going outside.

I would move around...a lot! My walker would be my support while I practiced walking the the right way - standing straight, not leaning into the walker. This builds core muscles and strength. Also, you will feel the glutes and lower back muscles working as well. Practice good posture now. It's too hard to reverse bad habits down the road.:oyvey:

I would loosen the joint by gently swinging my leg forward, backward and to the side. To increase muscles in the thigh, I would sit with bent knee and slowly raise the leg up off the floor, hold it, then release. Eventually, I could do this straight leg as I sat in a chair. I would do this lying in bed and eventually successfully accomplish this standing with the walker as support.

By the time I was given the all clear to begin full weight bearing, my leg, and thigh muscles were much stronger and could handle more challenging exercises. I am 5 weeks and strong enough to drive.

If you try to jump ahead to 'a place' he wants you to be, you will hurt yourself. I do agree with him that you want to get to the point where you can lift the leg unaided. This is a turning point you will need to get to in order to move on. Maybe the tens machine will help.

Hope this helps. :flwrysmile:

• Like Like x 2
  6. YoungHippy

YoungHippy Member

Heel slides seem to be a thing around here. Had to do them in the hospital to come home. Of course every PT person differs on how they should be done. At the hospital PT actually helped some. Their main focus was that you were trying and they helped guide to make sure your knee stayed upright. The first home PT guy didn't help, his thing was that it doesn't matter how far you slide your heel just that you do it on your own. The second home PT said that it wasn't the trying that counted it's how far you get. So she let me get as far as I could on my own and then would help the rest of the way. The first PT at outpatient said it was more important that I did them on my own. The second PT wanted more so she helped the rest of the way. Home PT wanted heel slides and the laying down abduction and addiction exercises. I am able to do them with help. Meaning I use the leg lifter.

I get a little better on my own each time. The first outpatient PT guy wanted that also. I mentioned to him that I am able to do the standing exercises, the swinging my leg away, and backward, and that I am getting a little more height on raising my knee each time. He told me that standing wasn't as good as laying down doing them, and told me to forget those entirely. Second outpatient PT said keep doing standing exercises and work on the heel slides too.

It's like there is no consistency here. For outpatient PT I don't see the same person every time. The place has 4 PTs including the owner. Everyone also disagrees on how I should be walking. The hospital PT actually said I should be limping since I'm not fully weight bearing. Home PT said to go slower and not limp, just smooth motions. Outpatient said that I should be limping. Everyone seems to have an opinion. To me if PT is not doing anything but watching me do the same stuff I can do at home then what is the point?

Everyone has a different idea about where I should be. No one seems to get that on day one after the surgery I could barely move my leg forward to make a step. Seriously, my first steps were an inch at a time. It took me until about a week ago to get a full stride. Or as full stride as I can get using the walker. They just all look at me and are all like "you are young, you should be better". It's frustrating.

@keepmovin Thanks for the tip. I have been trying that for about 2 weeks now. That's another one that PT could never agree on whether or not I should be doing. I started out just doing the toe raises, where I would push with my toes to raise that leg. Last week I could get it raised about an inch on my own. This week a little better. I ordered one of those floor bikes from online thinking it may help some too. You know the ones that are pretty much just a set of pedals not the kind that you ride. Seems like the motion is similar to the leg raises.

@gullimac I have no plans to get on the highway before getting my movement back. My plan is to keep working and try out the farm paths around my house until I feel comfortable driving again. There are about 15 miles of paths through the fields for me to practice on.

@PS46 IDK about telling them to "sling their hook". I'm pretty sure that if they can't agree on a treatment plan they probably wouldn't understand that either...lol

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. gullimac

gullimac Graduate

@YoungHippy i totally get your frustration with these PT folks. Without continuity there is basis for tracking improvement. Without being able to document improvement they should not get paid. It sounds like a complete waste of time. :hairpulling: Sorry you are going through this.

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. suzmar

suzmar New Member

South Africa South Africa
    Hi I am 66 and three months post op and feeling great, but I was in ICU for two days(pre booked) my surgeons choice. I did not get out of bed until day 3 as my blood pressure went through the floor.

Suzmar

• Like Like x 1
  9. suzmar

suzmar New Member

Sorry pressed the wrong button, what I am trying to say is I am a very independent lady but I was very happy to stay in hospital for seven days and be nursed. I did nothing for three weeks then slowly started to pick up my normal life. At six weeks I started at the gym on the exercise bike and tread mill. I have now moved forward to walking the streets for about an hour. Listen to your body and slowly move forward, we will all do it our way in our own time frame, the secret is to keep moving.

Suzmar

• Like Like x 1
  10. suzmar

suzmar New Member

I had a physio in hospital and was not allowed to be discharged until he said so, but since then my surgeon did not recommend one. He walk behind me into his rooms when I went for a check up, and said I was walking well, and that was it. I do long distance walking and I hope yo be back to it later this year

Suzmar

• Like Like x 1
  11. YoungHippy

YoungHippy Member

4 weeks out, give or take a day or so:

I ditched my training wheels for crutches yesterday. Thought I might would get a better stride with them, and I do. Still have another 11 days before my appointment where I should be allowed to be fully weight bearing. The crutches feel more natural and I walk more upright. Plus I have the option to drop to one if I need to. This morning I was able to use one crutch to go to the kitchen and pour myself a cup of coffee and carry it to my desk. That's not something I want to try all the time though until I do get that full weight bearing status.

I ditched PT this week also. Instead I have been doing the standing exercises at home a couple of times a day, working my foot pedals when I sit in my chair, walking, and practice driving. I'm doing the brake/gas motion in place of the laying abduction/adduction exercise. I've logged about 20 miles up and down my drive way starting and stopping and the motion becomes more natural each time. At the start I had to grab my pants leg to shift that foot to the brake, now I can do it without help for a few times. If I start getting tired I have to grab the pant leg again, but I get at least one more start/stop each time. I'm figuring once I can do that without thinking about it I'll be road worthy.

Haven't had any prescription pain meds in over a week. My Dr was in a hurry to get me off of them. The first couple of days I thought I was going to have to call and beg him to change his mind, but now Tylenol works just fine unless I over do it. Yesterday I walked into 5 different stores looking for crutches and I could really tell it last night.

Overall though I feel good. PT would probably still say I'm behind, but I'm figuring once I am fully weight bearing and even more active those motions will come back naturally. Case in point, yesterday I caught myself trying to step up on a curb with my op leg. I stopped and did it the way I'm supposed to, but 2 weeks ago I couldn't have raised that leg up onto the curb with out a leg lifter.

• Like Like x 2
  12. Zelda

Zelda Graduate

Behind what? It doesn't take much reading here to see that everyone has a different pace and variations in what activities are possible at different times.

You sound like you're making progress towards living your life again and that's the important measure.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  13. YoungHippy

YoungHippy Member

Tomorrow is my 6 week check up, and hopefully the day I will be full weight bearing. Things have pretty much been boring around here.

I still have not slept a full night in my bed. I start out in there sleeping on my non op side with a pillow between my legs, but usually end up back in the chair within a few hours. I can lay on my stomach for short periods also, when I do this I scoot down and let my feet hang off the end of the bed. I cannot lay on my op side at this point. When I try that it feels as if I have something hard under me and it is painful. I end up moving back to the recliner in the middle of the night. I am hopeful that will go away in time, as I do really miss my bed.

Movement in my leg is coming back slowly. I have not had to use my leg lifter to get in the bed or shower for over a week now. I can actually do a heel slide, well kinda. I can slide my heel and raise my knee, but my leg flops either inward or outward. I cannot keep it upright on my own. I also am having issues with sensation. My big toe and the area surrounding it on the op leg is pretty much numb, and I have a spot below my knee on that same leg where there are always goosebumps. That area is not numb, but there is a distinctly different sensation when it is touched. Like I can feel when something touches there, but not whether it is a soft touch or a scratchy touch if that makes any sense.

But here is hoping for a noneventful appointment and continued recovery.

• Like Like x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  14. gullimac

gullimac Graduate

@YoungHippy Sleep can be rather elusive can't it? I made it back into a bed for the first time since January last night. It was odd, but I needed something different. I could get partially onto my non-op side with two pillows between my legs, but I was nervous about it. I actually used to prefer to lay on my operated side, but I still have my staples in...and I have a feeling I will feel a lot like you describe when I am able. I slept about as good as I have been sleeping in the recliner of late, which is to say not wonderful--but enough to not be a zombie the next day.

When it comes to the numbness and nerves my big experience with that is with my hand. I had an accident with some electric hedge clippers a few years back and sliced up three fingers on my left hand. It took 2 years to start regaining sensation in the 2nd finger. I am still waiting on the third. I get what you mean about it not being numb, per se. I can feel pressure but i can't differentiate any more than that.

Hope your appointment goes well.

• Friendly Friendly x 2
  15. YoungHippy

YoungHippy Member

@Josephine When you get a moment will you post a pain chart for me please?

16. Zelda

Zelda Graduate

• Like Like x 1
  17. YoungHippy

YoungHippy Member

I think so, just having some aches and pains that I feel like should be gone by now. :(

• Friendly Friendly x 1
  18. Zelda

Zelda Graduate

I'm sure Josephine will reassure you. I reckon you're still working your muscles hard getting used to being more mobile again. How did the check up go?

• Like Like x 1
  19. YoungHippy

YoungHippy Member

Dr said everything looks good and that I can be weight bearing as tolerated. He compared xrays from day of surgery until now to make sure everything was in the same place and hadn't shifted. I asked more questions about the partial ball that was such a surprise to him. He said that in his opinion it was broken in the wreck. So I asked why did I have the two surgeries that the first surgeon had to realize would not work. He said that most times when that happens they try to cement the ball back together, although that wasn't any where in the first surgeon's notes. So I asked if that was the case then what happened to the cemented ball. He said that sometimes the body absorbs these fragments. So now I'm wondering if the aches and pains I'm feeling are pieces of bone where they should not be, like my body didn't reabsorb them. Cause from what I've been reading if the fragments aren't removed they can grow where they shouldn't. I don't have to go back to him for 3 months, and at that point we will see where I am as far as returning to work. So I'm trying to get back to normal, but it's just not happening like I want it to.

20. Josephine

Josephine NURSE DIRECTOR, BONESMART Administrator

What on earth? That is just so ridiculous! "cement the ball back together"? Never seen nor even heard of such a thing! I would suggest that there wasn't anything in the previous surgeon's notes because he never did it!
    Where have you been reading this? It makes no sense to me at all.

Do you have an xray you can post for me?

And here is the chart you requested

Can you tell me the exact site of your pain using this chart?

ai66.tinypic.com_11kegc5.jpg

ai66.tinypic.com_2r5rx8m.jpg