YoungHippy
member
Busy few days! Found my dream ride on CL on Monday and made my uncle take me to see it same day. He test drove for me and everything. Went back yesterday and handled all the title, tags and insurance parts. Now all that's left is the inspection to get my permanent tags, and Dr clearance to drive again.
Had not realized how unhandicap friendly my town is before now. My bank has no handicapped parking and their parking spaces are so small that it was a challenge getting the walker between cars. Very uneven steps to climb to go in also. They did have what was supposed to be a shorter line inside for people with wheelchairs, but I ended up standing in line for 45 minutes. My legs were shaking by the time I made it to the window to get cash.
My car insurance company is awesome though. We pulled up out front and mom popped the trunk to get my walker out, and the agent came running out and said she could help me without me hobbling inside. She also told me that anytime during this process that I needed anything to just call ahead and they would come to me outside. Guess it comes in handy dealing with the same people for over 20 years.
The tags agency is in the historic part of town. And by historic I mean very uneven side walks and a steep incline going in. Of course long lines since as a small town we only have 2 agents. Another long wait in there.
I had never realized how hard the basic errands were for people with walking aids and wheelchairs was before. I took that for granted before. I now have a whole other viewpoint on this. Even places that are supposedly handicapped equipped are full of uneven floors and other trip hazards. And bathrooms? Putting in a handrail beside a toilet that is so low that you have to squat to use it is not friendly. What were these people thinking?
I had my first outpatient PT session on Monday. I will be going twice a week until I am weight bearing again. But all they want to do with me is heel slides and leglifts until I am fully weight bearing. These are still hard for me and the PT guy says that I am not where I should be for this far out from surgery. My right leg is hard to lift getting into bed and cars. I keep forgetting my leg lifter so I had been helping myself by lifting as much as I could on my own and then pulling the rest of the way by grabbing the thigh part of my pants leg. That does work better with jeans than with jogging pants since the jogging pants stretch. He said that I shouldn't be doing that and that I should be able to move my leg without help at this point. I did remind him that I spent 4 months dislocated and not having much movement, but he said that shouldn't matter. Considering that for the first week after my surgery I needed someone else to lift that leg for me, and now I don't need help I thought I was making progress. According to him I will never gain any strength back in those thigh muscles until I can lift it without the lifter or pulling on my pants leg. For Thursday session he wants to start out with the tens machine to see if we can "jump start" those muscles. So I have to wear shorts. I haven't been able to shave the lower part of my legs since December. So that should be fun to see. Any one know of any exercises other than heel slides that would help to strengthen those thigh muscles? There just has to be a better way. Kinda discouraged at this point. PT also says that if I don't show enough progress in the next few weeks that he will recommend to my doctor that I shouldn't be driving.
Had not realized how unhandicap friendly my town is before now. My bank has no handicapped parking and their parking spaces are so small that it was a challenge getting the walker between cars. Very uneven steps to climb to go in also. They did have what was supposed to be a shorter line inside for people with wheelchairs, but I ended up standing in line for 45 minutes. My legs were shaking by the time I made it to the window to get cash.
My car insurance company is awesome though. We pulled up out front and mom popped the trunk to get my walker out, and the agent came running out and said she could help me without me hobbling inside. She also told me that anytime during this process that I needed anything to just call ahead and they would come to me outside. Guess it comes in handy dealing with the same people for over 20 years.
The tags agency is in the historic part of town. And by historic I mean very uneven side walks and a steep incline going in. Of course long lines since as a small town we only have 2 agents. Another long wait in there.
I had never realized how hard the basic errands were for people with walking aids and wheelchairs was before. I took that for granted before. I now have a whole other viewpoint on this. Even places that are supposedly handicapped equipped are full of uneven floors and other trip hazards. And bathrooms? Putting in a handrail beside a toilet that is so low that you have to squat to use it is not friendly. What were these people thinking?
I had my first outpatient PT session on Monday. I will be going twice a week until I am weight bearing again. But all they want to do with me is heel slides and leglifts until I am fully weight bearing. These are still hard for me and the PT guy says that I am not where I should be for this far out from surgery. My right leg is hard to lift getting into bed and cars. I keep forgetting my leg lifter so I had been helping myself by lifting as much as I could on my own and then pulling the rest of the way by grabbing the thigh part of my pants leg. That does work better with jeans than with jogging pants since the jogging pants stretch. He said that I shouldn't be doing that and that I should be able to move my leg without help at this point. I did remind him that I spent 4 months dislocated and not having much movement, but he said that shouldn't matter. Considering that for the first week after my surgery I needed someone else to lift that leg for me, and now I don't need help I thought I was making progress. According to him I will never gain any strength back in those thigh muscles until I can lift it without the lifter or pulling on my pants leg. For Thursday session he wants to start out with the tens machine to see if we can "jump start" those muscles. So I have to wear shorts. I haven't been able to shave the lower part of my legs since December. So that should be fun to see. Any one know of any exercises other than heel slides that would help to strengthen those thigh muscles? There just has to be a better way. Kinda discouraged at this point. PT also says that if I don't show enough progress in the next few weeks that he will recommend to my doctor that I shouldn't be driving.
United States

Sorry you are going through this.